Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,483 members, 7,823,119 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:33 AM

Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? (26352 Views)

Beyond Dancing In Church, Christians Must Develop Personal Relationship With God / WHAT CHRISTIANS MUST KNOW ABOUT ISLAM / Do Muslims Celebrate White Weddings Too? Isn't It For Christians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Nobody: 10:40am On Sep 21, 2018
Evince:
do u know the major reason why many girls remain unmarried till today? because the guys are busy either saving to meet up with the ceremonies first b4 they approach or they are hoping to get the best paying job that will sustain the currently perceived wedding ceremonies which all the girls glee for. My advise to u is, if see that young that just want only family in-house marriage rituals pls accept him and encourage him to take u to the court for registration

Well I understand what your saying but I really depends on the couple and the size I have always wanted a small gathering and I even have a chapel in my house as well I want it very private and intimate with real friends and family and to save funds as well only 3 bridesmaids lol

1 Like

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Evince(m): 10:47am On Sep 21, 2018
well mine is trad in-house and court registration
solasoulmusic:

Well I understand what your saying but I really depends on the couple and the size I have always wanted a small gathering and I even have a chapel in my house as well I want it very private and intimate with real friends and family and to save funds as well only 3 bridesmaids lol

1 Like

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Nobody: 10:48am On Sep 21, 2018
Kaycee7:
He won't.
You are DEAD WRONG!

Go and read your Bible.

Stop saying/infering what God didn't say.
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Kaycee7(m): 10:55am On Sep 21, 2018
Evince:
i was but currently i dont believe in existence of god. but i dont tell ppl to disregard their belief. mine is straight and simple "live in peace with one another and assist ppl where u can and ask ppl when u need and hope to receive from them. i have no deity i worship because the entire stories are lies.

Am sure u will stop talking to me from now u know i dont share ur belief
Then why interfere in the affairs of an institution you don't believe in?
Why would you be sure I'll stop speaking to you because you don't share my belief?
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Kaycee7(m): 10:55am On Sep 21, 2018
Omoluabi9:
You are DEAD WRONG!

Go and read your Bible.

Stop saying/infering what God didn't say.
What DID God say?
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Kaycee7(m): 10:56am On Sep 21, 2018
Evince:
Why are you doing two ceremonies? Shouldn't one be enough?
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by oshe11: 10:58am On Sep 21, 2018
Henri8:

The question is about weddings not receptions.
If U had read what the OP wrote, you'd see he was talking about Money and reception.....

Abi them dey spend money or hire DJ for church ni?

1 Like

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Iamrichie: 11:00am On Sep 21, 2018
abc115:
grin

If you have attended over 100 weddings in your life and are still single, you are not different from a canopy.

grin cheesy
Oga take am easy nw
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Nobody: 11:07am On Sep 21, 2018
Kaycee7:
What DID God say?
I will tell you one thing, and then you will reply with another, and I am not ready for a back-and-forth.

Go to the scriptures, you will see all of God's mind on betrothal, engagement and marriage.

Go and read your Bible, and stop pushing the doctrines of men as God's.
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by OlusegunAdedayo: 11:08am On Sep 21, 2018
angry
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Twitt13(f): 11:10am On Sep 21, 2018
Thank you Jare... Social media wahala
EVILFOREST:

Thanks for REPLYING him.
Anyway, my man leave wetin people go dey talk.
Just carry your girl, do traditional with court.
Except your lady no gree.
She can also wear her WHITE GOWN to the court if she deems so. Most times na white Gown and Facebook be women problem.

A lady is more interested in what people will say about her, than what pleases her.
They always want to please others at their own detriment.
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Twitt13(f): 11:11am On Sep 21, 2018
Thank you Jare... Social media wahala

EVILFOREST:

Thanks for REPLYING him.
Anyway, my man leave wetin people go dey talk.
Just carry your girl, do traditional with court.
Except your lady no gree.
She can also wear her WHITE GOWN to the court if she deems so. Most times na white Gown and Facebook be women problem.

A lady is more interested in what people will say about her, than what pleases her.
They always want to please others at their own detriment.
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Evince(m): 11:12am On Sep 21, 2018
am doing one and registering it with the government
Kaycee7:
Why are you doing two ceremonies? Shouldn't one be enough?
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Kaycee7(m): 11:16am On Sep 21, 2018
Omoluabi9:
I will tell you one thing, and then you will reply with another, and I am not ready for a back-and-forth.

Go to the scriptures, you will see all of God's mind on betrothal, engagement and marriage.

Go and read your Bible, and stop pushing the doctrines of men as God's.
I'm very sure the Bible didn't say we should pay bride price. So I guess we can do away with that one
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Evince(m): 11:16am On Sep 21, 2018
like i said i was once a christian. i interfered because marriage talk is not a christian thing rather it is a thing for procreation which involve human beings whether as a christian or non-christian so where it is upheld is not suppose to be compulsorily seen in light of religious belief rather family
Kaycee7:
Why would you be sure I'll stop speaking to you because you don't share my belief?
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by hisgrace090: 11:16am On Sep 21, 2018
SheIsElle:

When did the phrase "canna in Galilee" become synonymous with "synagogue". That's just the name of a community. That chapter is telling you that a wedding took place in that village and from my own interpretation, it must have been a traditional marriage ceremony.

I said it earlier that it wasn't done in the church but in village square.
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Evince(m): 11:20am On Sep 21, 2018
am sure but not entirely sure that u aint gonna talk with me again at length having made my stance known to u.
1. once one dont believe ppls god they disdain him intantly
2. i have already said it so the tendency that u would hv disdained me is reduced
3. thats what christians do and am sure u know it (they hate a lot)
Kaycee7:
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by erico2k2(m): 11:20am On Sep 21, 2018
oshe11:
Lovely.....

Mind You OP, the church didnt ask anyone to do extravagant reception anywhere.....
U can receive ur guests at home and provide what u have or dnt do reception at all, church wudnt persecute you for that
Have you seen the list of some churches??
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Kaycee7(m): 11:20am On Sep 21, 2018
Evince:
like i said i was once a christian. i interfered because marriage talk is not a christian thing rather it is a thing for procreation which involve human beings whether as a christian or non-christian so where it is upheld is not suppose to be compulsorily seen in light of religious belief rather family
But the topic is about Christian marriage. For Christians. How it affects Christians.
Though the article itself is about reception which has little to nothing to do with the church.
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by oshe11: 11:22am On Sep 21, 2018
erico2k2:
Have you seen the list of some churches??
No bro....
I only know abt mine and few others....

Tell me abt them and the total.....
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Kaycee7(m): 11:25am On Sep 21, 2018
Evince:
am sure but not entirely sure that u aint gonna talk with me again at length having made my stance known to u.
1. once one dont believe ppls god they disdain him intantly
2. i have already said it so the tendency that u would hv disdained me is reduced
3. thats what christians do and am sure u know it (they hate a lot)
Actually, that's what hypocrites do. A true Christian wouldn't alienate you. I mean, how do share God's love with a distant person. It doesn't make sense.
Your statistics adds up though as a lot of Christians are just hypocrites.

1 Like

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Evince(m): 11:26am On Sep 21, 2018
my stance is that its not a must do in church
Kaycee7:
But the topic is about Christian marriage. For Christians. How it affects Christians.
Though the article itself is about reception which has little to nothing to do with the church.
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by erico2k2(m): 11:27am On Sep 21, 2018
oshe11:
No bro....

I only know abt mine and few others....

Tell me abt them and the total.....
SOme churches would ask for specific food item,money for decoration, money 2wards choristers, refreshment, there is no stated total as this might be dues to the size of the church, I got married in the church so Im talking from personal expirience.Im not saying all curches but some.most notibly is christ embassey.If you get married there you will know or ask anayone who got wedded at chrit Embassey.
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Nobody: 11:36am On Sep 21, 2018
hisgrace090:

Go back to my post pls, I said wearing white cloth wasn't included neither was is done in the church.

They also served alcoholic drink, john2:10

Go back to ur post n correct the typo error there.
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Nobody: 11:38am On Sep 21, 2018
Evince:
thats fine
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by jkross(m): 11:47am On Sep 21, 2018
That's why i pray for a wife like my kid sister..she had only her trad and court wedding( Even my dad was not present.They didn't invite any family..Just she & her husban and witnesses)...she refused to do the white/church wedding instead she asked her hubby to use the white wedding money to buy her a car and he did...She enjoys her car till date and they are blessed with 2 kids
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by oshe11: 11:54am On Sep 21, 2018
erico2k2:

SOme churches would ask for specific food item,money for decoration, money 2wards choristers, refreshment, there is no stated total as this might be dues to the size of the church, I got married in the church so Im talking from personal expirience.Im not saying all curches but some.most notibly is christ embassey.If you get married there you will know or ask anayone who got wedded at chrit Embassey.
Lol....
Christ Embassy is on a diff level oooo

That church can make a rich guy feel poorcheesy

So I understand if I are talking abt Christ Embassy

Mind U, some churches also ask for those things, just to encourage the Choristers and all but the total wudnt be up to 20/30k
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by NextBuhari: 12:32pm On Sep 21, 2018
hisgrace090:
The bible.

Puting on white cloth is not part of it.
Instead of the church, the wedding Jesus attended was done in the village square, caana in Galilee to be precise.

And before Jesus turned water to wine people were already drunken with the wine presented by the celebrant. John2:10.
And Jesus did not preside over the marriage

1 Like

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by Kaycee7(m): 12:44pm On Sep 21, 2018
Evince:
my stance is that its not a must do in church
For Christians, it is. Nobody's asking a Muslim to do a Church wedding or a Hindu to do a Shinto ceremony. Christian marriage is mandatory for any Christian couple. Others can go do theirs where they please
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by NoToPile: 1:27pm On Sep 21, 2018
Kaycee7:
My people suffer because of lack of knowledge and understanding.

I'mma throw some light on this so that those who really desire to be enlightened can benefit.

Once you profess to be a Christian, you must be wedded by a minister of God. It's not negotiable. Anyone claiming to be a Christian and yet does not recognize this fact is ignorant of his faith. Now, you may come at me with where "white wedding" is written in the Bible. I tell you brethren, if you insist on following the Bible verbatim, without interpretations, then your wedding should be done in the Jewish fashion with a priest descended directly from the line of Aaron and ye must meet all the conditions set by Moses as he received them from God.
Now, if you care for an interpretation, God has always given his followers directions on how to follow him. And if you read the Gospel, you'll remember Jesus telling his apostles "Whatever you have bound here on earth is bound in heaven and whatever you dissolve here on earth is dissolved in heaven". So if a minister of God does not bind your marital union, my dears, heaven does not consider your union bound.

Now to face the history teachers who suddenly know what gown Queen Victoria wore on her wedding day, the Christian wedding is not an indigenous western tradition. They adopted it just like us. Before most of Europe became Christians, they practiced rituals such as hand fasting, blood oaths, wine sharing (this one should sound familiar), and many other unique practices. They abandoned all these for the Christian wedding ceremony while retaining the reception ceremony. And even that has undergone different changes over the years and is different in different countries all over the world.
So, if you are going to be annoyed at any ceremony, it should be the reception. But good news, it's absolutely unnecessary. So you are absolutely under no requirements to do it.

On a final note, traditional marriage still remains important because WE still hold on to its significance. After much headache involving legitimacy of both marriage and offspring begotten, The Church often requires you to perform the traditional ceremony so as to avoid stories that touch for you or your kids. But still remember that you're not husband and wife in the eyes of God until His minister has blessed your union.

Lastly, the guys saying 75% of church marriages crash, where did you come up with these statistics? We need to see your research files.

Your bolded points are wrong.

Nothing wrong with a church wedding but saying if you don't do a church wedding your marriage is not recognised by God is wrong and not biblical.

Simple.

1 Like

Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by NoToPile: 1:32pm On Sep 21, 2018
Kaycee7:
Emphasis on in the eyes of God. You're husband and wife in your traditional community. But if you're a Christian, the Church does not consider you married. It's as simple as that.

In the eyes of God you are married once the traditional stuff is done and your parents give you over.
The church is not God, the church can decide not to recognise the marriage, that's their problem.
Re: Who Decreed That Christians Must Have White Weddings? by NoToPile: 1:33pm On Sep 21, 2018
Kaycee7:
He won't.

Oh really

grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Signs You Are Losing Faith In God / Why Is Dating Common Among Church Choristers? / Does God Speak To You? How?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.