Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,761 members, 7,809,929 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:23 PM

Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? (30533 Views)

Catholic Priests Protest In Akure Over Killing Of Priests In Benue By Herdsmen / Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married / What Is The Work Of Reverend Sisters In The Catholic Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by unitysheart(m): 12:15pm On Sep 09, 2018
Princewell2012:

Yes. But that was before he met Jesus. Now after that he abandoned his family. Read your bible again

Abandon kwa?

You must be joking. So, you are expecting to read from the Bible everything that Jesus and his apostles did?
Or that the Bible should tell you every time that Peter went home to his family.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by daveP(m): 12:16pm On Sep 09, 2018
dingbang:
I think it was spelt clear in the bible when Jesus spoke to the apostles they should leave everything and follow him
Same bible records that they had families @Philip, Peter and Others. SMH.
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by bayelsaowei(m): 12:16pm On Sep 09, 2018
unitysheart:

Keep deceiving yourselves. There were apostles that were married in the first century CE.

I can even categorically say that the Catholic church brought in so many traditions that were alien to the original Christianity or even Judaism, where Christianity emanated from.

At the end of the day, after claiming they are celibate, they go on defiling innocent young children, both male and female, whereas, God and Jesus did not forbid them from getting married. After all, Apostle Paul said it may be better generally y to remain a virgin or single so that one can propagate the truth. He however added thay if you cannot hold body please get married.

It ia even understandable why some didnt get married in the times of the apostles. The gospel had not gone viral back then and those taking the lead may need to travel far and thus leaving their families behind. But is that the same situation today? Far from it.

Meanwhile, We know for certain that Peter was married because he had a mother-in-law (Matthew 8:14). The apostle Paul, who was not married, asked the Corinthians whether he also did not have the right to take a believing wife (1 Corinthians 9:5), as did “the other apostles and the Lord's brothers and Cephas [Peter].” From this, we can assume that Peter was not the only one to have a wife.

Lastly, the qualifications for elders and deacons include references to their marriages and families (1 Timothy 3:1–13; Titus 1:5–9). These qualifications do not require that church leaders be married, but they do certainly demonstrate that many were.
this comment is clean and free from any confusion. The catholic church brought upon themselves the shame and stigma associated with the molestation of kids and adults by priests..

Who ever gave a requirement of celibacy for priests or overseers??

Na them sabi

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by deebrownneymar: 12:17pm On Sep 09, 2018
I think priests who can't handle the temptation should resign and get married instead of molesting kids within their care. Didn't they take an oat or something?
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by udemzyudex(m): 12:19pm On Sep 09, 2018
gabinogem:
same line of thought there...all these today clergymen wey no wan leave worldly things alone...morelike eating their cake & still having it.

Remember Peter was married, he had a mother-in-law. Some of the disciples were married.

The fact that Catholic decide to be celibate is what I don't understand and remember those clergy men who are married are not Catholic, they are the apostolic originally broke out of Catholic.
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by ednut1(m): 12:20pm On Sep 09, 2018
dingbang:
my brother. The devil said to Jesus, I will give you all the kingdoms of the world and all the things inside it if you bow down and worship me.

I still ask myself, if Jesus were to be in this our time, would he have needed the things of the world to preach his gospel? I just ponder
does this mk sense Devil wan give am wetin belong to him nd God

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by Asquare84(m): 12:21pm On Sep 09, 2018
Kahujadekadura:
All of them were brought up like you. They only went through formation to become what they are and some were even forced into seminary. And inasmuch as Jesus chose Judas Iscariot to be his disciple despite knowing the fact that he will betray him is a clear fact that among priest, you can see bad ones.
Lastly, we Christians sometimes do set unnecessary temptation for our priests in order to control them and the parish money. Notwithstanding some are the people that do go for the temptation. Among twelve, there must be Judas. That some of the priests do fall victim of sexual act, do not imply that the church dogma on celibacy is bad. After all some married pastors or lay faithfuls still go after another women.

True talk, I am not saying all are guilty only few that I came across

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by dingbang(m): 12:22pm On Sep 09, 2018
ednut1:
does this mk sense Devil wan give am wetin belong to him nd God
of course the earth is the lord's footstool but read again, the devil was recognized as the prince of this world in the bible.
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by wiloy2k8(m): 12:23pm On Sep 09, 2018
Nwaikuku2:
That's give u concrete reason to believe that Catholic was truely instituted by Jesus Christ while other church was founded in other to run away from celibacy

and worshiping of images ko .
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by Odetokun3(m): 12:31pm On Sep 09, 2018
OP correct urself. What do you mean by inheriting church wealth?

Are they the owner of the church?

Is the church a business?

We are talking Catholics not new generation Churches.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by ednut1(m): 12:31pm On Sep 09, 2018
dingbang:
of course the earth is the lord's footstool but read again, the devil was recognized as the prince of this world in the bible.
grin ok o
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by Princewell2012(m): 12:34pm On Sep 09, 2018
AkpaMgbor:

Peter NEVER abandoned his family! It was NEVER stated anywhere in the Bible explicitly..do you even know what it means to abandon ones family and responsibilities? How can such person claim to serve God if he can abandon his family?
Can you tell me the difference between forsake and abandoned? Whosoever cannot forsake his father mother, wife or husband etc can not be my disciple. A beg no be me right am it is their in your bible

2 Likes

Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by darhud: 12:34pm On Sep 09, 2018
Nwaikuku2:
That's give u concrete reason to believe that Catholic was truely instituted by Jesus Christ while other church was founded in other to run away from celibacy

Did Jesus use to pray infront of his mother statue? I disagree with your thought

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by spine: 12:34pm On Sep 09, 2018
unitysheart:

Keep deceiving yourselves. There were apostles that were married in the first century CE.

I can even categorically say that the Catholic church brought in so many traditions that were alien to the original Christianity or even Judaism, where Christianity emanated from.

At the end of the day, after claiming they are celibate, they go on defiling innocent young children, both male and female, whereas, God and Jesus did not forbid them from getting married. After all, Apostle Paul said it may be better generally y to remain a virgin or single so that one can propagate the truth. He however added thay if you cannot hold body please get married.

It ia even understandable why some didnt get married in the times of the apostles. The gospel had not gone viral back then and those taking the lead may need to travel far and thus leaving their families behind. But is that the same situation today? Far from it.

Meanwhile, We know for certain that Peter was married because he had a mother-in-law (Matthew 8:14). The apostle Paul, who was not married, asked the Corinthians whether he also did not have the right to take a believing wife (1 Corinthians 9:5), as did “the other apostles and the Lord's brothers and Cephas [Peter].” From this, we can assume that Peter was not the only one to have a wife.

Lastly, the qualifications for elders and deacons include references to their marriages and families (1 Timothy 3:1–13; Titus 1:5–9). These qualifications do not require that church leaders be married, but they do certainly demonstrate that many were.

so how do you explain Jesus rebuttal on Marriage in matt 19-12......? my point is we humans need to quit acting like we have the absolute interpretation to everything in the bible. there are lot of verses that are not easily explained. Christ himself alluded to it being controversial and did not speak of it scornfully. No one should be compelled to becoming a priest.if the catholic church decides to permit marriage....then its fine. in every circle there are bad eggs. In the pentecostal church was it an injunction in the bible that Pastor or G.O most also have his wife as Pastor mrs or Mummy G.O as is commonly practiced in many churches today? Yet it happens and people embrace and adore the couple like God called them both.
I am sure they can find a place in scripture no matter how obscure to defend their practice. Some preacher girl suggested to me that Jesus christs Donkey is like the equivalent of a Bentley today, all in a bid to justify her Pastors lifestyle choices. I get energy to argue? Bottom line, lets quit the Pontificating and judging. No one Knows the whole truth.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by MrEnigma007: 12:36pm On Sep 09, 2018
A lot of people comment with dislike for Catholics and not because they had an encounter to justify such but because they had been doctrine by others to do so. little wonder they are easily convinced their aged mom is the reason for their sufferings

Never has the Catholic condemned king James version of the Bible, but then how will you know, when you have hearsay experience about the "complete version of the Catholic bible" without research as to how the Bible(collection of books) came about

2 Likes

Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by SoNature(m): 12:40pm On Sep 09, 2018
dkronicle:
To suck bress just dey hungry me.

Uncle, goan marry tongue

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by deliveryboy: 12:44pm On Sep 09, 2018
An Igbo adage says "it is the anus of a young boy that will suffer if a matured man decides to be a catholic priest"- Chinua Achebe
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by streamsofjoy(f): 12:48pm On Sep 09, 2018
Nwaikuku2:

My advice to brethren has always been to avoid conflict on religious thread here. This topics may have been posted by someone who always want to drag Christianity in the mud, and trust my brothers and sisters in Christ, they never disappoint. Why do we start to argue about a church and doctrine that will benefit us nothing at all? If Jesus is truly ur focus, a church and it's modus operandi no matter how offensive u find it wil be a prayer burden rather than a subject of insult and ridicule. My bro/sist. and ur supporters who have liked ur post I think u should try to act like Christ if truly u are a christian and stop doing church competition. This is not to say I support those who have rubbished the Catholic Church. I will never do that. All I'm saying is that Christians should as mush as possible avoid online debates as this and be more united. If u think the other person is on the wrong path please pray for that person instead of criticising becos na the same Jesus all of us dey follow.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by jnrbayano(m): 12:50pm On Sep 09, 2018
calculator123:

was it not the same Bible that says a man must leave his father and mother and cling onto his wife and both shall become one?
was it not the bible that says Men should be fruitful and multiply? how can you multiply the population without getting married?

Some men/women are born never to marry for the purpose of God's kingdom. They are called celibates.

Stick to your own calling and allow others

2 Likes

Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by unitysheart(m): 1:02pm On Sep 09, 2018
spine:

so how do you explain Jesus rebuttal on Marriage in matt 19-12......? my point is we humans need to quit acting like we have the absolute interpretation to everything in the bible. there are lot of verses that are not easily explained. Christ himself alluded to it being controversial and did not speak of it scornfully. No one should be compelled to becoming a priest.if the catholic church decides to permit marriage....then its fine. in every circle there are bad eggs. In the pentecostal church was it an injunction in the bible that Pastor or G.O most also have his wife as Pastor mrs or Mummy G.O as is commonly practiced in many churches today? Yet it happens and people embrace and adore the couple like God called them both.
I am sure they can find a place in scripture no matter how obscure to defend their practice. Some preacher girl suggested to me that Jesus christs Donkey is like the equivalent of a Bentley today, all in a bid to justify her Pastors lifestyle choices. I get energy to argue? Bottom line, lets quit the Pontificating and judging. No one Knows the whole truth.

Which rebuttal on marriage? Lolz.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by bluefilm: 1:05pm On Sep 09, 2018
The priests are employees of the church.

But the church doesn't like the idea of paying workers pensions after active service.

So the church devised a means to keep everything earned by her employees including all their inheritance within the church.

And so the idea of celibacy was borne.

That's all.

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by spine: 1:10pm On Sep 09, 2018
unitysheart:

Which rebuttal on marriage? Lolz.

we arent kids i presume, whats he lol about... anyway
meaning of the word rebuttal could be to refute, counter, invalidate
choose the one that suits you. The point is Jesus was responding to an opinion that had been formed by his disciple

MATT 19:12 The disciples said to him, “If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry.”

11 Jesus replied, “Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. 12 For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.”

Bottomline you nor i knows it all. Quit the bashing of churches, not all that is practiced elsewhere is pleasant
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by Godmademan(m): 1:12pm On Sep 09, 2018
I have listened to arguements about this subject and I have come up with my common sense theory. I am not a Bible scholar so correct me where i am wrong.

Prophets/priests who were tending to the temple and the people had wives and children. Typical example is prophet eli. these are analogous to our present day pastors.

Some others who had other ministries, morelike evangelists e.g. elisha, elijah, the 12 apostles, who traveled far and wide yearround to execute their assignments were mainly single.
i don't think there was any divine instruction. in todays world even as a travelling evangelist, raising a family will not be a problem since transport is easier and faster. The catholic priests based on this arguement have no reason to be celibate. They live in and with their communities and get posted to others atintervals.
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Sep 09, 2018
Shortyy:
Because Jesus Christ was celibate. Duuh

Check all the apostles did any one marry or had a child ?

Jesus said you'll leave your family and follow me.

It was stated that Peter had a mother-in-law. He could've been married before he became an apostle. Remember he was a fisherman before he met Jesus. He was prolly married before he met Jesus.

did you mean Peter divorce his wife after meeting with Jesus Christ? on what basis did he divorce her
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Sep 09, 2018
Apina:

Total rubbish. The Bible was first translated and compiled into what's called the BIBLE by St. JEROME, a Catholic priest into Latin and without that translation, there would be nothing like a BIBLE. Stop coming online to spew ignorance.

The Catholic Church did not start in Rome, unless you want to tell me that Jesus and the apostles were Romans. The Catholic Church was not called so until 108AD by Ignatius of Antioch who wasn't a Roman undecided
Lmao. Merci.
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by spine: 1:26pm On Sep 09, 2018
Godmademan:
I have listened to arguements about this subject and I have come up with my common sense theory. I am not a Bible scholar so correct me where i am wrong.

Prophets/priests who were tending to the temple and the people had wives and children. Typical example is prophet eli. these are analogous to our present day pastors.

Some others who had other ministries, morelike evangelists e.g. elisha, elijah, the 12 apostles, who traveled far and wide yearround to execute their assignments were mainly single.
i don't think there was any divine instruction. in todays world even as a travelling evangelist, raising a family will not be a problem since transport is easier and faster. The catholic priests based on this argumement have no reason to be celibate. They live in and with their communities and get posted to others atintervals.

you may be right. only God knows
Nevertheless its a rule in the catholic sect. and they argue they have foundation to do so. its not baseless to see men of God unmarried, neither is it strange to hear some married and had kids. so whats the argument really for...
let each choose his path.
no one is compelled to priesthood. it entails huge sacrifice and some cannot cope. and if the church arrive at the conclusion that they should tone it down. then its all good. Maybe it would be more inclusive.
thats one basic difference between the Anglican rev and their catholic counterparts. It didnt stop US chapter of Anglicans from clamoring for gay priests. Thankfully the Nigerian chapter said a resounding NO.
Pls i meant no disrespect to Anglicans at all. Just trying to say some of these bashing is futile

Bottomline seek Gods counsel, praise and honor him and do good to your fellowman. no denomination home or abroad was mentioned in the bible as the one doing the right thing. we work by faith and seek Gods guidance. usually when one seeks a speck of wood in others eyes there is also a Log in theirs.
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by patrickcollins: 1:32pm On Sep 09, 2018
Sarkin:
Why are they fond of having sex with small boys and girls?
Funny people, and you people still bow to child molesters.
Why are your reasoning very shallow, so those your pastors don't engage in such even though is glaring they are married, I don't deny some priests are not engaging in such behaviors but pls don't generalize it.What about pastors, imams equally. I understand u have hate for Catholics.
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by jnrbayano(m): 1:35pm On Sep 09, 2018
Godmademan:

i don't think there was any divine instruction. in todays world even as a travelling evangelist, raising a family will not be a problem since transport is easier and faster. The catholic priests based on this arguement have no reason to be celibate. They live in and with their communities and get posted to others atintervals.

Are you the one who called them to be celibate?

Jesus said, "some men/women remain unmarried for the kingdom of God"

St Paul, The Catholic Priests and allies are examples of those people Jesus talked about
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by AkuFather(m): 1:36pm On Sep 09, 2018
Everything in Heaven and on Earth belongs to Him, so He couldn't bow down for Satan.
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by Rinato(m): 1:43pm On Sep 09, 2018
streamsofjoy:

My advice to brethren has always been to avoid conflict on religious thread here. This topics may have been posted by someone who always want to drag Christianity in the mud, and trust my brothers and sisters in Christ, they never disappoint. Why do we start to argue about a church and doctrine that will benefit us nothing at all? If Jesus is truly ur focus, a church and it's modus operandi no matter how offensive u find it wil be a prayer burden rather than a subject of insult and ridicule. My bro/sist. and ur supporters who have liked ur post I think u should try to act like Christ if truly u are a christian and stop doing church competition. This is not to say I support those who have rubbished the Catholic Church. I will never do that. All I'm saying is that Christians should as mush as possible avoid online debates as this and be more united. If u think the other person is on the wrong path please pray for that person instead of criticising becos na the same Jesus all of us dey follow.
SORRY dear but no one has rubbished the catholic church and no one can. out of the abundance of heart speaks the mouth they say.

all that have been said here so far exudes CONFUSION IGNORANCE and PAIN of INFERIORITY by pentecostal inconsequentials who will never know unless they ask nicely and who will never find unless they seek. so this affects no one but them. it's their PAIN

1 Like

Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by patrickcollins: 1:47pm On Sep 09, 2018
bayelsaowei:
this comment is clean and free from any confusion. The catholic church brought upon themselves the shame and stigma associated with the molestation of kids and adults by priests..

Who ever gave a requirement of celibacy for priests or overseers??

Na them sabi
Ur pastors and G.O brought more shame to themselves and Christianity more than priests because of their greed for money and sexual lust over their members.
Re: Why Did The Catholic Church Decide That Priests Should Be Celibate? by Eziokwugbaoto: 2:06pm On Sep 09, 2018
1st Timothy 4:3 I won't quote it here. You can go and read it and argue with yourself.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Prophet Valentine Alloysiu: Atiku Will Win Presidency, INEC Will Announce Buhari / NBM Of Africa Donates N2m To Victims Of Owo Catholic Church Attack (Pics, Video) / Can A Real Born Again Girl(+prayer Worrior) Be Romantic??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.