Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,395 members, 7,819,411 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:51 PM

Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest (54882 Views)

Japa: 10 Countries People NEVER Regret And REGRET Moving To / UK Removes Nigeria, 10 Countries From Red List / 10 Countries You've Been Mispronouncing Your Entire Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by khalidx: 8:58pm On Sep 09, 2018
LuciferKristi:
It's not about the cost. It's whether the citizens can afford it.

Most Nigerians survive on less than $1 daily, how many can afford fuel at its current cost?
who collect your sense? ?
someone that live on less than 1$ , where will he or she get money to buy generator or car or any automotive that runs fuel
Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by Bigabbey22: 9:01pm On Sep 09, 2018
Pls don't try to migrate to Venezuela because of cheapest fuel price.
I resides in United States of America.
Presently Venezuela citizens are facing tough times.
Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by CodeTemplar: 9:07pm On Sep 09, 2018
Rossikki:
Even the entire ''dollar a day'' calculation makes no sense. What one dollar will buy in Nigeria, twenty dollars cannot buy in America.

For instance a plate of Eba and Egusi in Nigeria will cost you maybe a dollar at a cafe. In America it will cost you over twenty dollars at a Naija restaurant.
Your stupidity must be organic or heavy duty! Even if your disproportionate illustrations are true, can you compare cost of other basic needs in america to Nigeria? Health, transportation, education, communication, housing etc ?

You make it sound like all american spend up to even 40 USD a day on foods talkless of 20 USD on a meal. The average is well less than 10usd a day. Dinner in restaurants is what people pay top dollar for and not some regular meals.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by Tomoyayi(m): 9:07pm On Sep 09, 2018
Chepos1:

US should not try any rubbish cus I want to migrate to that region ASAP. grin

And start exporting fuel to 9ja abi
Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by Teeboi56: 9:07pm On Sep 09, 2018
4 naira per litter I hope then no do mistake Sha He funny to me
Nigeria is the most corrupt country we're the owner of fuel and again we're inconvenient ourself
Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by NoBetterNigeria: 9:07pm On Sep 09, 2018
To Venezuela? You joking right? Google and see whats going on there, they're in serious gbege now... Naija better pass Venezuela now

Chepos1:

US should not try any rubbish cus I want to migrate to that region ASAP. grin
Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by UrbanMetahuman: 9:07pm On Sep 09, 2018
theoldpretender:

OKAY....time for some more facts....

So why would Maduro be removing a fuel subsidy that in your own words....did not exist?

smiley

Here is some more....

Still think I goofed again, son? Or is it...beautiful daughter? grin

(I love you google!)
reading and comprehending hard you o

This will be my last quote though. I only explain things to those who really want to learn.

subsidy means; A sum of money granted by the state or a public body to help an industry or business keep the price of a commodity or service low.

e.g, cost of importing petrol into the country is around 190-200, but government subsidies it to keep it 145 by granting extra sum of money.

now to you article

President Nicolas Maduro said Monday that some of the world's cheapest petrol that Venezuelan drivers enjoy will soon be sold at world market prices to combat rampant smuggling.

"Gasoline must be sold at an international price to stop smuggling to Colombia and the Caribbean," Maduro said in a televised address.

Venezuela, like most oil producing countries, has for decades subsidised fuel as a benefit to consumers. But its fuel prices have remained nearly flat for years despite hyperinflation that the International Monetary Fund has projected would reach 1 million per cent this year.

That means that for the price of a cup of coffee, a driver can now fill the tank of a small SUV nearly 9,000 times. Recently, the average price of a coffee with milk was 2.2 million bolivars, or about 50 cents, local media has reported.

Smugglers do brisk business reselling fuel in neighboring countries. SOURCEl
venezuela is trying to increase the price of fuel to checkmate smugglers that are smuggling fuel out of the country cos its cheap to make extra money in another country thereby causing scarcity at home.

its like marketers getting subsidized fuel from nigeria and smuggling it to ghana to sell for extra income thereby causing scarcity at home.. (does this ring a bell?)

increasing the price will make it less lucrative for smugglers. they also planned to keep current rate for registered vehicles in the country cos i could see you omitted that from your article for obvious and dubious reasons. grin

again, it is not the reason for hyper inflation or economic problem. pick your comprehension books again.

anyhoo, that would be all from me.. take care.
Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by drololaaof: 9:11pm On Sep 09, 2018
The shame on Nigeria is that we have crude oil and importing refined petroleum products, you are comparing prices, what we should talk about is why is the trend so. It is double jeopardy we borrow money our leader steal it to safe it where we borrowed from
Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by UrbanMetahuman: 9:11pm On Sep 09, 2018
erico2k2:

yes Sir, I do its when the Gov of the day pays the diff in price for its citizens to buy the said product cheap.

How it relates to your nonsense is this, the Ven Fg head Nicolas Maduro, is cutting down the Subsidy, the price hike as we speak is up to 600% to checkmate a 50% Inflation.I seriously do not know what you are ranting about, I si mply corrected ur assumptions that there arent no subsidy in Venuzuela.
good boy.. now read the post you initially jumped on to like a puma 100 times. and point to the wrong assumption.
Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by theoldpretender(m): 9:11pm On Sep 09, 2018
DonroxyII:
Where did the dude went wrong . He said the standard of living in Nigeria is poor that is why we can not afford to buy fuel at #147/L ...... Countries with higher value per litre has better standard of living than Nigeria .... What is wrong in that ?

1.Liberia, Sierra Leone, Ghana, Cameroon, Ethopia, Uganda...don't have a higher standard ofliving than Nigeria....and they pay more for fuel.

2. We need fuel to be at $140 per liter to pay for subsidy, and to pay for everything else. Right now...it is at $70.

3.If we keep fuel at N145...we would keepon wasting money...

4.Here is how subsidy works. Assume you were selling yam. You sell yam at N800 per tuber to make a profit of N200 per tuber. Government forces you to sell at N200 per tuber and pays you N300 as 'subsidy benefit'...leaving you with a deficit of N300 per tuber...tellme, would you keepon selliung yam?

5.GSM was deregulated from the word go.Initially we paid N10000 for sim The GSM companies took the money, spent it on infrastructure and providing jobs...and soon prices dropped due to competition and increased investment...because GSM companies were allowed to make profitswithout subsidy. If we do the same for fuel......prices will rise to N300 or more....but would eventually drop as more andmore investors come into the country....since they can now make money without government forcing them to sell below profit in the name of subsidy. Need I say there will be more jobs too.
Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by theoldpretender(m): 9:14pm On Sep 09, 2018
UrbanMetahuman:
reading and comprehending hard you o

This will be my last quote though. I only explain things to those who really want to learn.

subsidy means; A sum of money granted by the state or a public body to help an industry or business keep the price of a commodity or service low.

e.g, cost of importing petrol into the country is around 190-200, but government subsidies it to keep it 145 by granting extra sum of money.

now to you article

venezuela is trying to increase the price of fuel to checkmate smugglers that are smuggling fuel out of the country cos its cheap to make extra money in another country thereby causing scarcity at home.

its like marketers getting subsidized fuel from nigeria and smuggling it to ghana to sell for extra income thereby causing scarcity at home.. (does this ring a bell?)

increasing the price will make it less lucrative for smugglers. they also planned to keep current rate for registered vehicles in the country cos i could see you omitted that from your article for obvious and dubious reasons. grin

again, it is not the reason for hyper inflation or economic problem. pick your comprehension books again.

anyhoo, that would be all from me.. take care.

You missed the part where VENEZUELA was said to have been subsidising fuel for decades!

OK.....you don't want to admit you lost. Good evening. Ihave tried!

You said there was no subsidy...then after I pointed out there was a subsidy...you started defining subsidy for me...and then you pointed out that Venezuela is subsidsing fuel for registered citizens....

The problem is, you want cheap fuel, even itf the govt has to drain the treasury for it. That does not make economic sense.

Go and read the two articles I gave you.

Venezuela has been subsdising fuel for decades. QED.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by Newboss(m): 9:14pm On Sep 09, 2018
Rossikki:

Don't mind them. It is too tasking for them to engage heir own faculties to decipher the truth. If the World Bank came out and said that most Nigerians survive on less than 5 Naira a day, they will still come here and regurgitate that statistic without question. Thoughtless robots.
You two are not actually on the same page. angry
Did you even read his comment at all? angry
Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by Grupo(m): 9:17pm On Sep 09, 2018
erico2k2:

Dont always believe evrything you read, howmany people do you personaly know who earn N300 per day ??

Go to many villages, some people earn way less than that. Even some graduates are teaching in private schools where they are paying them 8k per month. Is that not way less than ₦300 per day?
Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by Digitalwitch: 9:21pm On Sep 09, 2018
oladele00:
He took over a calamitous Nigeria from the clueless Ebele Jonathan.. Have you forgotten about the recession so soon?.. The recession was the man reason for the increase
But during the clueless regime I could eat three square meal a day. Price of goods were cheap including PMS but the change master worsened it
Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by CodeTemplar: 9:22pm On Sep 09, 2018
Rossikki:

Don't mind them. Nigeria has over 120 million phone lines connected, the largest in Africa.

How is that possible if majority of us live on less than 1 dollar a day? That is just Phone o. Not to mention food, rent, school fees, clothes, transport. Mumu people.
The average Nigerian spend so little on phones it makes next to no sense to base your estimate on phone lines.

At a dollar a day, a man earning N50k (130usd) with 3 children and a wife can only afford less than 1 USD a day for the average family member,l. now that is based on a N50k salary but how many families see even N50k a month? Use your brain.
Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by chairman00100: 9:24pm On Sep 09, 2018
oladele00:
Vote for PMB again and baba will reduce the price of fuel to 45naira.. God bless PMB

l just hope you are being sarcastic,,, if not, one will be wondering why people no dey get shame like how much was it before he took over and how much did he promise to make it, or what Will be the difference between now and then, please a dead person is a dead person, they remain dead
Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by DonroxyII: 9:26pm On Sep 09, 2018
theoldpretender:

1.Liberia, Sierra Leone, Ghana, Cameroon, Ethopia, Uganda...don't have a higher standard ofliving than Nigeria....and they pay more for fuel.

2. We need fuel to be at $140 per liter to pay for subsidy, and to pay for everything else. Right now...it is at $70.

3.If we keep fuel at N145...we would keepon wasting money...

4.Here is how subsidy works. Assume you were selling yam. You sell yam at N800 per tuber to make a profit of N200 per tuber. Government forces you to sell at N200 per tuber and pays you N300 as 'subsidy benefit'...leaving you with a deficit of N300 per tuber...tellme, would you keepon selliung yam?

5.GSM was deregulated from the word go.Initially we paid N10000 for sim The GSM companies took the money, spent it on infrastructure and providing jobs...and soon prices dropped due to competition and increased investment...because GSM companies were allowed to make profitswithout subsidy. If we do the same for fuel......prices will rise to N300 or more....but would eventually drop as more andmore investors come into the country....since they can now make money without government forcing them to sell below profit in the name of subsidy. Need I say there will be more jobs too.
Let me tell u this Mr Economist ... All the aforementioned Countries in your post ain't have Nigerian Potentials and most of them do not have 1/10th of Nigerian resources ..... If the Government of Nigeria wish, they can increase the fuel price to #1000/litre but when the measure of the standard of living do not add up then people won't be able to pay !!

Ours is a mono economy as everything is tied to Oil and hitherto tried to pump price of petrol ........ The life and live of average Nigeria can get worse off if pump price is erratically increased and more better off if proportionately reduced !!

Nigeria has systemic problems and there are leakages everywhere .... it is just senile to be comparing Nigerians with Somalis or Cameroon ......

I am in a glass house but due to my previous assignments as a research assistants .... I have toured 75% of this country and other than just 40% of urban residents living good live, remaining 60% are struggling while 80% if not 90% of rural dwellers are living in abject poverty .....

Tour the whole of Northern Nigeria, go to South South and South East .... Now tour Southwest ..... You will see poverty at its natural state .....

Living standard is poor here ..... Government is poor here .... so increasing pump price without commensurate increase in earnings potential of people means more poverty .....

All the monies they are stealing could have been used to better life of Nigerians and they will be glad to pay any price for any services rendered !!
Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by iou: 9:26pm On Sep 09, 2018
Brilliant point.....however, Nigeria's problem is a peculiar one. Had we developed our refining capacity, we wouldn't need to expend hard earned Petro dollar on importing refined products and incurring additional expenses on subsidy. Truly, there is actually no reason why we the citizens of Nigeria shouldn't be able to buy petrol at less than 144. As long as we import refined products, we would pay premium for it and continue to impoverish the citizenry.
LuciferKristi:
It's not about the cost. It's whether the citizens can afford it.

Most Nigerians survive on less than $1 daily, how many can afford fuel at its current cost?
Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by DonroxyII: 9:33pm On Sep 09, 2018
theoldpretender:

You missed the part where VENEZUELA was said to have been subsidising fuel for decades!

OK.....you don't want to admit you lost. Good evening. Ihave tried!

You said there was no subsidy...then after I pointed out there was a subsidy...you started defining subsidy for me...and then you pointed out that Venezuela is subsidsing fuel for registered citizens....

The problem is, you want cheap fuel, even itf the govt has to drain the treasury for it. That does not make economic sense.

Go and read the two articles I gave you.

Venezuela has been subsdising fuel for decades. QED.
How do you think , Yours is irrational ....
Why do the government need to subsidize in the first place ..... Why can't we make our Refineries to function ..... Would any sane country operate petroleum the way Nigeria is doing ? ......

Yes, we want cheap fuel because we don't deserve to pay for more ..... Based on minimum wage in Nigeria as well as per capita , Fuel shouldn't be more than 40/litre ..... Yes ..... What is wrong with that ......

Why do we export the raw materials and import the finished goods ..... at a cost of raw materials plus cost of finished goods and plus profit margin .... Then you transferred all these stupidity over to your citizens .

Then further depletes the foreign reserves under guises of subsidy payments ..... Failed states , Failed analysts !!
Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by theoldpretender(m): 9:36pm On Sep 09, 2018
DonroxyII:
How do you think , Yours is irrational ....
Why do the government need to subsidize in the first place ..... Why can't we make our Refineries to function ..... Would any sane country operate petroleum the way Nigeria is doing ? ......

Yes, we want cheap fuel because we don't deserve to pay for more ..... Based on minimum wage in Nigeria as well as per capita , Fuel shouldn't be more than 40/litre ..... Yes ..... What is wrong with that ......

Why do we export the raw materials and import the finished goods ..... at a cost of raw materials plus cost of finished goods and plus profit margin .... Then you transferred all these stupidity over to your citizens .

Then further depletes the foreign reserves under guises of subsidy payments ..... Failed states , Failed analysts !!

1. Even if our refinereis function at full capacity...we still need to import at least 50million liters of fuel a day

2.It costs 9billion to build a new refinery....and we need 4 or 5 new ones.

3.Even if we build new refineries...the owners still have to make a profit.....
Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by Popularity(m): 9:36pm On Sep 09, 2018
I believe a liter od water will be costlier than fuel in Venezuela
Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by Nobody: 9:45pm On Sep 09, 2018
Lumig:
With this, I will say Nigeria is not doing too bad. Even countries that we regard as "heaven on earth" are not on the list. Though nothing bad in asking for more [Oliver Twist]
Nigeria is not so bad, but it's our leader that's so bad, they are greedy and lack foresight.
Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by grandstar(m): 9:45pm On Sep 09, 2018
theoldpretender:

That is the truth....but most Nigerians love their free fuel.

And long term...it could even bring in foreign investment...and price reduction via competition.

Ah well....

Talking about investment, I am sure Dangote is putting off the start of his refinery until after Buhari disappears for I'm sure he won't want to sell his petrol at the government con trolled price, with the FG owing him forever. Buhari is a Statist
Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by DonroxyII: 9:46pm On Sep 09, 2018
theoldpretender:

1. Even if our refinereis function at full capacity...we still need to import at least 50million liters of fuel a day

2.It costs 9billion to build a new refinery....and we need 4 or 5 new ones.

3.Even if we build new refineries...the owners still have to make a profit.....
This is the reasons I quit politics section, I am tired of analysing this country !!
If our refineries should function , let it function first and let's see the effect !! ..... Transporting crude oil from Bayelsa to Kaduna (stupidity too why Kaduna) ...... is sha different from transporting to Niger and bringing same back as if the fuel is from Europe and claiming exorbitant subsidies ......

Nigeria as a system is not effective .... There is a systemic failure and the people are paying ultimate price already .... So, pump price increment will worsen already worsened situations ..... !!

Chairman pls shelf your analysis .... An economic analyst must critically evaluates all sectors of the economy and ensure they are all complementing one another ..... Our economy ain't complementing one another !!

Systemic failure here !
Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by Evangkatsoulis: 10:01pm On Sep 09, 2018
erico2k2:

Dont always believe evrything you read, howmany people do you personaly know who earn N300 per day ??

N300 per day is 9k per month. I know plenty people who earn 7k per month.
Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by xreal: 10:02pm On Sep 09, 2018
Somebody pls show me the road to Venezuela.

Their fuel cheap pass pure water sef.

E be like say dem dey take am baff.
Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by enemaralph: 10:09pm On Sep 09, 2018
Chepos1:
4 naira?

Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by erico2k2(m): 10:11pm On Sep 09, 2018
UrbanMetahuman:
good boy.. now read the post you initially jumped on to like a puma 100 times. and point to the wrong assumption.
Your brain is dumb . U think I will waste my time arguing with a low life who can't be assed to know subsidy was the root of downfall of said country with people pointing you still to up to date news frm that country . Your jammed coconut head refuse to absorb . Nah people like una dey score 2/20 for job interview .
Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by Jamestown123: 10:21pm On Sep 09, 2018
tmtech:

it's 1million bolivar and the Money is actually worthless and fuel is not a problem in Venezuela , not even electricity sef in most parts there. the major issue is food and drug cos of the sanction and thus d vey high inflation
that's right though
Re: Top 10 Countries With Cheapest Fuel In The World- Nigeria Is One Of The Cheapest by Jamestown123: 10:22pm On Sep 09, 2018
GrammarNazi1:
...these things.
Thanks for the correction

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Reckless Danfo Driver Collides With A Toyota Hiace Bus On Otedola Bridge / Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria / Men Pushing Train On Ibadan Railway (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.