Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,334 members, 7,811,975 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:34 AM

Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria (54838 Views)

Deniz Saypinar Stopped From Boarding A Plane For Wearing This (Photo) / Bus Conductor Sanitizes Passengers Before Boarding Danfo Bus (photo) / Air Peace Passengers Asked To Delete Video In Lagos Before Boarding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria by chatinent: 2:40pm On Jul 04, 2021
No part of this post should be reproduced without written approval from the author.

Ten things you should be aware of before boarding a plane in Nigeria

Are you planning on boarding a plane for the first time in Nigeria? We've got you covered.

Air travel can be quite a painstaking and daunting procedure, right from booking your flight and making sure your luggage isn’t overweight to making the flight time before it’s too late.

All this can seem a little too frustrating and stressful without the proper information before your first flight, that’s why we’ve carefully put together “Ten things every new first-timer should be aware of before boarding a plane in Nigeria,” starting with;

1. Book your flight prior to the intended travel date
If there's one thing every first-time flyer should be aware of, it’s the fact that you won’t always get an available seat ticket on the said day of booking, and this isn't subject to Nigeria only.

A simple way to go around this is to book your flights some days prior to your intended travel date.

This depends on the airline you wish to patronize. For instance, you intend to travel on a Thursday, it is advisable to start your flight booking process from Monday.

Early flight booking gives you an edge in getting a ticket and also, you may be subjected to a discount or a ticket with a special offer. Note, you can also book your flights online using the Airlines’ flight app.

2. Carefully put together the required document.
Your documents are essential for you to check-in. Have your documents, i.e., ID card, Passport, visa, and flight ticket carefully put together and make sure nothing is missing from this.

Not having any of your required documents present during check-in could lead to flight postponement or, in worse cases, cancellation of the flight.

A simple trick is to arrive at the airport an hour or two before your flight time. This makes sure you carefully go through the documentation process without feeling the first-timers' pressure and gives you a better opportunity to enjoy the Peace and Serenity of the airport.

3. Know your luggage type
Before boarding a flight, it is essential to know your luggage and what part of the aircrafts’ compartment they’re meant to be stored during the course of your flight.

The three types of luggage:

• Hold luggage
The hold luggage or checked luggage is kept away from its owner during the flight; this luggage is kept in the airplanes' hold. Usually, after it has undergone security checks you’d have to drop it at the airports’ check-in desk.

• Carry-on luggage
You’ve probably watched a few plane documentaries or movies where airplane passengers keep their luggage just a few inches above their seats. That luggage is called carry-on luggage. As a passenger, you can carry one to be stored in the airplanes' cabin located above the seat.

There are restrictions to this type of luggage, do find out the airline luggage policies for this.

• Personal items
Items like laptops, phones, purses, handbags, medicine, etc., Are categorized as personal items and are kept with the passenger throughout the flight.
Note, every luggage category is subject to a security check before heading on to your seat.

4. Know the Airlines’ acceptable weight for each flight class
Airlines have luggage weight policies. Before flying, check with your airline and have this information handy before your scheduled flight time and date.

Air peace allows luggage weight of up to 20kg for economy class and 40kg for business class while charging N500 per kilogram of extra weight outside its weight policy which is paid at the airport.

Note, these price rates apply only to Air peace domestic flights. Do check for other airline luggage policies.

5. Know the terminals and wings
While In the airport there are two distinct terminals, the arrival terminal and the departure terminals.

And also, you will find that there are two travel wings when In the airport; the domestic wing is for flights within the country, and the international wing is for flights outside the country.

6. Check-in procedure
After you must have booked your flight date and time and issued a flight ticket, it's flight date! Arrive at the airport before time and proceed to your airline counter for documentation and baggage check.

7. Boarding pass
Next, have your boarding pass printed at the airport (Note, you can do this online before arriving at the airport). The boarding pass contains the passengers' names, flight date, and time of departure.

To print your boarding pass, you'd have to provide a means of identification to enable you to print a boarding pass.

8. Security check
Security checks before a flight is necessary to make sure you don't carry any restricted item into the plane. Note, you will be asked to take off your shoes, jacket, or any metallic jewelry you have on.

It's okay to feel a little bit tensed while this procedure takes place, but be rest assured that this is totally okay, and most passengers feel that way.
While on the plane, note the following;

9. High altitudes and low humidity in the cabin may lead to headaches and dizziness.
Before traveling by air if you're a first-timer, a basic rule of thumb is to hydrate (drink ample water) as high altitudes and low cabin humidity can lead to dizziness and headaches resulting from dehydration.

10. Airplane food doesn't really taste good; carry your food.
While bad food taste on an airplane during flight isn’t exactly new, there’s a reason for this effect. The atmosphere coupled with low humidity in an aircraft is why sweetness is reduced and saltiness heightened by a margin.

It is advisable to always to carry your own food when boarding a plane if you feel you can't stay through to the end of the flight without food.
Flight time can be a fun time if carefully planned out. While on it, make sure to enjoy every bit of time spent on the plane.

Source: https://www.nopremiumtears.com.ng/2021/07/ten-things-you-should-be-aware-of.html

Was this article helpful? Do leave us a comment below!

170 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria by mountmoriah(m): 2:49pm On Jul 04, 2021
FP materials

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria by IamCookie(f): 2:52pm On Jul 04, 2021
Well written article. Thanks

Modified:
Wow! this info deserves the front page.
BTW , the op didn't talk about the corrupt/ useless immigration officers you'd come across in Nigeria Airports that will frustrate you until you drop something good, especially if you are a first time traveller.

I recall the experience i had few years ago ,when an immigration officer insisted that i show him the dollars and settle him in dollars, because he saw my BTA written and stamped by GTB on my passport. I was looking at servicom desk in front of them but couldn't do anything about it... Had to do normal embarassed!*

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria by kpakungu001(m): 2:55pm On Jul 04, 2021
Worthy information...we go sha enter flight one day.

147 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria by FEGNO: 3:30pm On Jul 04, 2021
chatinent:
No part of this post should be reproduced without written approval from the author.

Are you planning on boarding a plane for the first time in Nigeria? We've got you covered.

Source: https://www.nopremiumtears.com.ng/2021/07/ten-things-you-should-be-aware-of.html

Lalasticlala, dominque, seun, DisGuy, justwise

The one major thing I know is that once that door is closed and shut for the flight, until it is opened there is no going out. Leaving a few people feeling claustrophobic and trapped.

35 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria by seunny4lif(m): 3:37pm On Jul 04, 2021
I will take note cool
Me I never reach airport before shocked but I don’t know how people full that thing because if I dey see aeroplane for my area, the thing dey look smaller than hawk bird cheesy cheesy

Please, how do you buy Gala and coke? Abi traders no dey up there? Am confused oooh, someone help me sad

I be bush man grin
I pity people who fly that aeroplane, because the thing just swallow them with his mouth and vomit them from his anus shocked shocked
Smelling cheesy

39 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria by chatinent: 4:13pm On Jul 04, 2021
FEGNO:

The one major thing I know is that once that door is closed and shut for the flight, until it is opened there is no going out. Leaving a few people feeling claustrophobic and trapped.

Yeah, it sends shivers sometimes.

4 Likes

Re: Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria by chatinent: 4:17pm On Jul 04, 2021
mountmoriah:
FP materials

Tag the snake God.

1 Like

Re: Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria by chatinent: 4:18pm On Jul 04, 2021
kpakungu001:
Worthy information...we go sha enter flight one day.

Thanks.

seunny4lif:
I will take note cool
Me I never reach airport before :- but I don’t know how people full that thing because if I dey see aeroplane for my area, the thing dey look small than bird cheesy cheesy

I be bush man grin

Lol.

IamCookie:
Well written article. Thanks

Thank you.
Re: Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria by shopwiser: 10:12am On Jul 05, 2021
Front page worthy..

1 Like

Re: Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria by Petyprincess(f): 10:30am On Jul 05, 2021
Change your money to dollar before arriving airport, The dollar changed at the airport is overcharged.
Arrive three hours earlier to your departure.
Make sure you lock your bag or wrap it at the airport to avoid missing products from your checked-in luggage.
Take a hoodie or blanket in your handbag luggage because airports are usually cold especially at night.

84 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria by chatinent: 4:59pm On Jul 05, 2021
Petyprincess:
Change your money to dollar before arriving airport, The dollar changed at the airport is overcharged.
Make sure you lock your bag or wrap it at the airport to avoid missing products from your checked-in luggage.
Take a hoodie or blanket in your handbag luggage because airports are usually cold especially at night.

Thank you for this addition.

Lalasticlala please do the needful to the topic.

2 Likes

Re: Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria by JeffreyJunior: 6:32pm On Jul 05, 2021
10. Airplane food doesn't really taste good; carry your food....

This one off me.

So I fit carry my foo foo and egusi soup enter Airpeace and I was wasting my time with Agofure motors.

43 Likes

Re: Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:32pm On Jul 05, 2021
Highly educative and insightful thread.
Thanks OP.

For the 'God when Crew,'
God will grant your heart desires pretty soon.
Just keep working hard and believe in your dreams.
You will fly and soar in the sky soonest.

Petyprincess:
Thanks for the more info dearie.
Been a long while.
We missed you. kiss
Howdy ?

16 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria by Iceyjayzz(m): 6:32pm On Jul 05, 2021
Nice write-up, everything you typed is damn true

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria by NewDelhi(m): 6:33pm On Jul 05, 2021
There's a big difference between entering a plane and using road transport. The Calibre of people you get to meet and see even at the airport ehn.. air travel is dope any day any time. You go meet people, I mean people.

Also, there's a lot of touting on the local wing. ( I constantly fly between MM2 and Nnamdi Azikiwe). Touting is also prevalent on the international wing too. Don't give just any staff or green jacket wearing mofo your ticket or boarding pass, be careful. Also be careful of those drop guys at the arrival terminal that will want to charge you 7k from let's say MM2 to u-turn or awori lol. Na theif dem be. Dem fit call lekki-epe 50k

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria by jericco1(m): 6:33pm On Jul 05, 2021
Okay, UK here I come grin
Na visa remain

8 Likes

Re: Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria by datola: 6:34pm On Jul 05, 2021
Note that most staff of Nigeria Airport Authority, Lagos staff are always on your prey to hook the wheals of your car when you slow down to ask for direction.

Roads to and fro Nigerian Airports are dirty and filled with potholes.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria by GIANTPLUSHUB: 6:34pm On Jul 05, 2021
Also be careful of any package you will help people to deliver or hold at the airport because there are lots of people with bad minds. Don't get yourself implicated!

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria by Iceyjayzz(m): 6:35pm On Jul 05, 2021
Petyprincess:
cheesycheesycheesy
Re: Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria by Iamdbull: 6:35pm On Jul 05, 2021
Dbull on this one

Thanks alot for this information, I really needed it because very soon I will be traveling around the world for my tours. If you have not streamed any of my music I swear you missing. Link is in my signature

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria by Airwavez: 6:36pm On Jul 05, 2021
cool
Re: Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria by talk2hb1(m): 6:36pm On Jul 05, 2021
Local Flight nko undecided
Re: Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria by lakezone67(m): 6:36pm On Jul 05, 2021
chatinent:

What are the documents needed for within Nigeria flights?
Re: Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria by Godada(m): 6:37pm On Jul 05, 2021

Very useful info

1 Like

Re: Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria by TheEnygma(m): 6:37pm On Jul 05, 2021
Nice write up, Threads like this are what the mods are supposed to push to FP.
But our mods....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria by heniford2: 6:38pm On Jul 05, 2021
Please if your in Nigeria try and get International passport is very necessary

3 Likes

Re: Ten Things You Should Be Aware Of Before Boarding A Plane In Nigeria by Generalwoodz(m): 6:39pm On Jul 05, 2021
I have NEVER been to an airport before embarassed
But that won't stop me from reading with
my intellectual cap on. No knowledge is a waste.

And the main reason why I opened this thread is tell you all my brothers and sisters in the struggle and hustle that one day, we shall soar high like the eagle.

No Buhari can stand in our way
Edo witches got nothing on us
No Jupiter can obstructe .

#FlyingIssaMust

Jehovah Lord hear our Prayer ooo

37 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Driver's Head Pops Out Of The Window After Fatal Accident In Owerri. Graphic Pic / EKSU Students At OUIDAH, Python Temple Benin Republic (Photos) / 5 Mistakes Nigerians Make When Booking A Flight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.