Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,992 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. (11438 Views)

Poll: Should the hasty ban be reversed?

Yes: 37% (30 votes)
No: 62% (49 votes)
This poll has ended

U- 23 AFCON: Man City Give Nigeria Conditions For Iheanacho ’ S Release / FIFA Issues Keshi Ultimatum On Saintfeit Comments / Nigeria Will Not Reverse Ban - Source (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by Olaolufred(m): 2:33pm On Jul 02, 2010
@tkbz

why cant Jonathan ensure the people he wants will contest and win the election

I know the arrest and prosecution of a corrupt office holder will not be an interference.
But look at the boldened quote from you.
Isn't it an Interference or probably an imposition?
Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by Jeboy(m): 2:35pm On Jul 02, 2010
@Princek12

U re not really seeing the big picture that is why u ve been arguing blindly. The Target is not really SUPER EAGLES or any other Nigerian team but RESTRUCTURING CORRUPT AND INEPTITUDE NFF. Now trying to remove dem by either way of EFCC,ICPC etc by whatever govt. agency will attract FIFA sanction no matter how u paint it. This is the confidence the corrupt board are holding on to dare govt. that has been funding football. So in other not to be seen to break FIFA rules, disengage from their competition so we will not be seen like someone who wants to eat his cake and have it.  Thats why we re backing out. I strongly believe this decision is not only because of Super Eagles performance at the world cup cos we re not the worst team but an accumulation of the decay that has been there for over a decade. So pls Prince get it right. I believe most u of u clamouring against this ban will eat up your words in shame when it comes out good. Am taking stocks of ur name. In two years time we shall re-acess the situation. I believe guys like Austin Jay Jay Okocha, Segun Odegbami, Mitchell Obi, Dan Ndanusa etc
Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by AmakaOne(f): 2:42pm On Jul 02, 2010
It’s not surprising that FIFA wants to hold Nigeria to ransom seeing as how we pay a levy proportionate to our GDP each time one of our National teams plays. Even the Olympic team is subject to FIFA levies.
Imagine the amount of money that FIFA stands to lose if NO Nigerian team plays international football for two years?

For each mach the fee is calculated based on Nigeria’s$207.12 Billion GDP  
The independence of associations has nothing to do with is. It’s about the FIFA bottom line which we finance.

SMH!!! SMH!!! SMH!!!

Who are they trying to fool?
Who pays for the training, coaches, kit, facilities, travelling expenses, accommodation, player fees etc? Not FIFA.
So the country should continue to pump money into a bottomless pit because FIFA wants to keep milking it dry in the name of football?

People are starving is in some parts of Nigeria for goodness sake. The money can be put to better use that lining Sepp Blatters pocket.!!

Our president and government need to stand up against this European hegemony. We don't even have a real voice in FIFA despite the millions of dollars we pump in. 4 British federations and some Germans cannot continue to collect egunje like this from us and not allow us to have a say about how we run and finance our national teams

angry  angry

I am on my way to the Ghana game right now in JHB. Will post pics soonest!!
Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by manosteel(m): 2:44pm On Jul 02, 2010
Many years now, Nigerians have been complaining on the rate of corruptions in our glass house and the way our football is being run, what has Fifa done about it? rather, they chose to turn their blind eye to it while our FG continues to play by the rule. Fifa should know that in Nigeria, it is the FG that fund the FA unlike in the West, Isn't that seen as goverment interference? they Fifa should also know that many of her FA officials are hidding under the so called Fifa rule to carry out their corrupt acts, knowing fully well that if the goverment interfere, Fifa will raise her big hammer. The truth is that, all is not well with our football house,and since Fifa do not have rule to checkmate the excesses of her officials, it is high time someone stepped in to stem this cankerworm eating deep our football house before it spreads further and cause a complete system failure.
Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by Marymos: 2:44pm On Jul 02, 2010
quietshould keep queit.What do they mean by political interference.They should tell government not to contribute/give  any money to NFF because is political interference.If am FG,if the ban fail to work because FIFA threat,i will make sure i don't release any money to NFF.By so doing the ban will naturally come to be.
Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by truly: 2:50pm On Jul 02, 2010
Olaolufred:

I know the arrest and prosecution of a corrupt office holder will not be an interference.
But look at the boldened quote from you.
Isn't it an Interference or probably an imposition?

Sincerely, this matter is very simple
Lulu said he would not sack Amodu
Gov Amaechi said he should
He pointed out to him that failure to do so would amount to defying the president
Lulu complied. FIFA did not say anything

Insofar as virtually every public official is corrupt
He could give all the NFF electoral candidates he does not like the Ogbulafor treatment

But we will regret it when the government begins to interfere very very negatively
do we remember how Obj removed Fola Adeola from national pension commission?
Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by shigidi(m): 2:51pm On Jul 02, 2010
Jeboy:

@Princek12

U re not really seeing the big picture that is why u ve been arguing blindly. The Target is not really SUPER EAGLES or any other Nigerian team but RESTRUCTURING CORRUPT AND INEPTITUDE NFF. Now trying to remove dem by either way of EFCC,ICPC etc by whatever govt. agency will attract FIFA sanction no matter how u paint it. This is the confidence the corrupt board are holding on to dare govt. that has been funding football. So in other not to be seen to break FIFA rules, disengage from their competition so we will not be seen like someone who wants to eat his cake and have it.  Thats why we re backing out. I strongly believe this decision is not only because of Super Eagles performance at the world cup cos we re not the worst team but an accumulation of the decay that has been there for over a decade. So pls Prince get it right. I believe most u of u clamouring against this ban will eat up your words in shame when it comes out good. Am taking stocks of your name. In two years time we shall re-acess the situation. I believe guys like Austin Jay Jay Okocha, Segun Odegbami, Mitchell Obi, Dan Ndanusa etc
I agree with your argument but i ask one question. What happens if goodluck does not stay beyond 2011?? What if the policies to 'reform NFF' are not put in place? what happens then?? The truth is NFF is a reflection of the state of the nation. You cannot dissolve them when all other aspects of the nation are equally screwed up.
Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by tkb417(m): 3:00pm On Jul 02, 2010
Imagine
Ndanusa of all people

hehehe
Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by MUZBO(m): 3:08pm On Jul 02, 2010
snowdrops:

Goodluck 1 FIFA 1

Its half time. The second half will be played over 48 hours.

At the end of the day hin go be '1-1 goaless draw'! GJ show you have balls because FIFA has got plenty soccer balls.
Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by tkb417(m): 3:11pm On Jul 02, 2010
^^^ shey 1-1 na goaless draw? grin grin
Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by Meldrick(m): 3:11pm On Jul 02, 2010
FIFA has no right to order the leader of a soverign nation around. The move by President Jonathan is a good move in the interest of over 150 million Nigerians and we are in full support of it. The Nigerian Government funds the national team and just like every business man, the government deserves quality football for the money they invest in the sport. FIFA headed by Blatter should resolve the controversies surrounding the 2010 world cup. They should first settle the issues ranging from poor officiating which FIFA calls human error. FIFA must quench the fire in its organisation and leave Nigeria that is trying to solve it's internal problems alone
Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by jokingmary(m): 3:13pm On Jul 02, 2010
tkb417:

^^^ shey 1-1 na goaless draw? grin grin

I no sabi this one

I think say na goalful draw
Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by netiq(m): 3:15pm On Jul 02, 2010
GJ should have known better.

FIFA has made it clear for years now they
they do not welcome Government or
political interference in soccer issues.

Let's see how this turns out.

But I strongly feel we need such tough
measures to reorganize or football
system before expecting to be impressive
in International soccer.

What we saw at South Africa was simply a
case of garbage in, garbage out.

I sincerely wish we will go back to the
days of Westerhouf when he scouted,
exported and exposed some of the best talent
to the International scene.

Well, I'll keep watching to see how things
unfold.
Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by truly: 3:16pm On Jul 02, 2010
AmakaOne:

For each mach the fee is calculated based on Nigeria’s$207.12 Billion GDP  
The independence of associations has nothing to do with is. It’s about the FIFA bottom line which we finance.

Who pays for the training, coaches, kit, facilities, travelling expenses, accommodation, player fees etc? Not FIFA.
So the country should continue to pump money into a bottomless pit because FIFA wants to keep milking it dry in the name of football?

People are starving is in some parts of Nigeria for goodness sake. The money can be put to better use that lining Sepp Blatters pocket.!!

Our president and government need to stand up against this European hegemony. We don't even have a real voice in FIFA despite the millions of dollars we pump in.

angry  angry

I am on my way to the Ghana game right now in JHB. Will post pics soonest!!
If the argument is really about bottomless pit, starving people, European hegemon
should we be spending N16b on 50th anniversary
Should legislators, most of whom belong to the PDP which GJ controls be askling for salary increase

Are we fighting FIFA? Are we saying that after 2 years that we will not contribute to FIFA again?
How much do we spend on sports?
And how much will the Abuja airport expressway cost us?
same goes for other sectors?
BTW, how much do we pay to Ecowas, AU where a lot of the countries do not like us
How much do we contribute to the UN where our soldiers are fighting all the time in peace keeping opts

Are we fighting NFF - EFCC is the legitimate weapon?
Are we trying to stop Lulu from contesting again? - EFCC can do that
Are trying to imrove the standard of soccer - more internationally friendly is the answer, not withdrawing into a cocoon
Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by LekeB(m): 3:17pm On Jul 02, 2010
What can we make out of Orji Uzor Kalu's comment

Pillar of Sports in Nigeria and Abia State’s former governor, Dr. Orji Uzor Kalu, has advised the Alhaji Sani Lulu Abdullahi-led Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to resign with immediate effect to save Nigerian football.

Dr. Kalu, who was reacting to President Goodluck Jonathan’s directive withdrawing Nigeria from all international football competitions, said that he believes that Mr. President would have a change of mind if the board of the NFF resigns immediately.

“I heard the news on Wednesday and I feel that what President Jonathan did was quite in order and I must salute his courage to do what other leaders have failed to do in the past.

This idea to call FIFA’s bluff by sacking the NFF has been on the table long ago but nobody had really been able to act to save our football before now. “I am also appealing to the NFF board led by my very close friend, Sani Lulu, to quietly resign from the NFF and save the future of Nigerian football. If Sani Lulu loves this country with members of the board, they should resign today and give room for the youths of this country to grow in soccer.

“I must commend the Presidential Task Force set up by the Federal Government to ensure we qualified for the World Cup for doing a good job with the Super Eagles qualification and participating as well as for making good recommendation to the President on the way forward” he stated.

He said that he would be speaking with both the FIFA and CAF presidents, Issa Hayatou and Sepp Blatter respectively to see reason why Nigeria had to take the action she took, adding that he would appeal to them to be lenient with Nigeria because the decision was in the interest of the country.

The man, who steered Enyimba International FC as the Abia State chief executive to two consecutive CAF Champions League trophies, urged President Jonathan to start correcting the wrongs of the past by taking a roll call of the Enyimba’s squads of 2003 and 2004 for winning the trophies that had eluded the country for more than 30 years, back to back by giving national honours to the players who brought glory to the country

He said that he was ready to offer advice to Mr. President on how to restructure the administration of the game in the country ‘but our appeal is for the NFF executive to resign and perhaps the President may reconsider the withdrawal from international competitions’.

Dr Orji Kalu said that he had the belief that if the board resigns today, Mr President could have a rethink by allowing our the Falconets to go to the Under-20 World Cup in Germany, pointing out that he would personally appeal to Lulu to take the path of honour and resign today to start with.

“I believe that we have men and women who have passion for the game and who are ready to serve the country and take it to the next level. President Goodluck Jonathan should look out for such people and let them handle our sports”.
Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by Blenheim(m): 3:19pm On Jul 02, 2010
Let's rise above sentiment and face the issues:

1. Nigeria is a sovereign state, while FIFA is a federation of associations.
2. FIFA's definition of government interference is selective: when the Nigerian Government funds the NFF, its not interference, but when the Nigerian Government suspends the NFF for alleged fraudulent application of government funds, it is interference!
3. Football in a country as diverse as Nigeria is a unifying factor for all Nigerians, so it is more likely for such to happen in Nigeria, than for it to happen in the USA for instance.  
4. Sani Lulu happens to be the only candidate for NFF boss in the forthcoming elections.
5. It is generally accepted in Nigeria that there is an urgent need for sports reform, with football at the forefront.
6. FIFA statutes are binding on parties to it inter partes. The NFF is party to such statutes.
7. Nigerian municipal law is binding on Nigerian citizens and foreign nationals within Nigeria. Presidential and executive decisions also fall within this ambit.

The interplay of the aforementioned issues and more will make this a very interesting saga. Let's wait and see!!

IMO, go on Goodluck!
Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by idnole4(m): 3:27pm On Jul 02, 2010
I cant wait to see the next half Lets see whos gonna loose this game GJ gegen FIFA (halb zeit)
Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by truly: 3:40pm On Jul 02, 2010
Meldrick:

FIFA has no right to order the leader of a soverign nation around. The move by President Jonathan is a good move in the interest of over 150 million Nigerians and we are in full support of it. The Nigerian Government funds the national team and just like every business man, the government deserves quality football for the money they invest in the sport. FIFA headed by Blatter should resolve the controversies surrounding the 2010 world cup. They should first settle the issues ranging from poor officiating which FIFA calls human error. FIFA must quench the fire in its organisation and leave Nigeria that is trying to solve it's internal problems alone
Sovereignty comes with responsibility
FIFA is not ordering anybody around - we knew FIFA rules before joining
Blatter is just saying - obey it
If you join a boxing club, you cannot turn around to say that somebody punched a whole you
why is this an issue anyway - we obey rules of
UN, IAEA, IOC, Ecowas, AU, IMF, World bank etc
why is FIFA different
UN has just imposed sanctions on Iran - nobody is talking about sovereignty
ICJ issued an arrest warrant to on the president of Sudan - no talk of sovereignty

Is Nigeria really a soverign nation - we rely a lot on aid from foreign countries
They arm twist us on account of that
Is obama not egging Johnathan on on the issue of 2011

I am not one of the 150m that GJ is doing this for
Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by damilola15: 3:41pm On Jul 02, 2010
Let fifa do the banning, it would be the same thing.
Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by truly: 3:44pm On Jul 02, 2010
BTW
Capello has been reappointed - he wants to bring in new blood into the team
Le Blanc is now the coach of France

That is order
we should beware of motion, aggresive motion, without progress
Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by truly: 3:47pm On Jul 02, 2010
FOI

"Also the management committee set up by the Nigeria government will not be recognised by Fifa.

If Nigeria are suspended, the country cannot participate in competitive matches or club games in African competitions, as well as a host of financial ramifications.

"A suspension goes beyond the suspension of the national teams," added Fifa's communications director Nicolas Maingot. "It also freezes financial help and no referees can participate in international competition."
Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by dTouch: 3:49pm On Jul 02, 2010
I have long had the impression that FIFA is an overbearing arrogant entity. This ultimatum is symptomatic of the fact. A sport organization giving a deadline to a sovereign nation? and sending same through one "nobody". Let the re-organization run and FIFA or foofoo can take a hike.
Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by ariy(m): 3:52pm On Jul 02, 2010
o, let me get this straight, Nigeria wants to ban their soccer team, so FIFA in response threatens to ban them too? Sounds like a win-win situation for all involved! Why can't all conflicts be resolved like this?
Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jul 02, 2010
NIGERIANS WILL FOREVER MAKE ME LAUGH
DISBAND THE SE FOR TWO YRS,PULL OUT OF INTL COMPETITIONS FOR 2 YRS
THATS WHY WE ARE WHERE WE ARE
50 YRS IN OCTOBER AND STILL WE HAVE LEADERS WHO CAN NOT INTERPRETE AN ORDINARY LAW.
WHY DID HE STOP AT SE,WHAT OF NEPA(ARE THEY STILL CALLED THAT)NPA ANYTHING STARTING WITH N AND FINALLY EVERY BASTARD THAT HAS RULED US SINCE INDEPENDENCE
NIGERIANS,WE WILL SIT HERE AND SPEW ALL SORT OF RUBBISH ON END AND NOTHING WILL HAPPEN.LETS TAKE OUR NATION BACK BEFORE WE HAVE NO NATION AGAIN
Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jul 02, 2010
AND TO THINK THAT 20YRS AGO WE WERE SAYING "E GO BETTER" AND WE ARE STILL SAYING THE SAME THING
ARE WE THAT DUMB?
Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by tkb417(m): 3:59pm On Jul 02, 2010
I am not one of the 150m that GJ is doing this for

definitely not among the 150m peeps
Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jul 02, 2010
AND THOSE SAYING FIFA CAN TAKE A HIKE,HOW DO YOU INTEND TO JUDGE HOW GOOD YOUR TEAM IS WITHOUT PLAYING ANYBODY?
ONCE WE GET BANNED,ANY NATION UNDER FIFA WILL NOT PLAY US,WE ARE NOT BANNED AND NO ONE WANTS TO PLAY US WHAT MAKES U THINK THEY WILL PLAY US THEN
SO AFTER THE BAN AND THE SE THAT HAS BEEN FORMED HAS PLAYED ABOUT 200 FRIENDLIES AGAINST SHARKS,3SC,INSURANCE BUT NO OTHER FOREIGN TEAM,WE NOW TAKE THEM TO PLAY THA NATIONS CUP QUALIFIERS AND IF WE FAIL TO QUALIFY WHAT WILL WE SAY THEN?BAN THEM AGAIN FOR 4 YRS?
HOW DO YOU INTEND TO RAISE A GOOD TEAM WITHOUT FRIENDLIES AND OUR CLUBS NOT PLAYING ANYONE IN AFRICA?
ARE YOU GUYS THINKINGG AT ALL
WHY I DEY ASK SEF WHEN NA NO THINKING BRING US HERE IN THE 1ST PLACE
Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by miftah: 4:10pm On Jul 02, 2010
FIFA ,BLATTER shld go to hell, i don`t care, wat did dis stupid called BLATTER turning himself to?  FIFA president talking to a NATION`S PRESIDENT like that, the 1st match we played against ARGENTINA whc we lost 1-0 ,they later comment on the goal afta 3days, why didn`t he plaster or wat is his name cald call for the replay of the match.

We paid and run NFF with our money not with FIFA`s money, if they want to sanction us then they shld take over NFF and sponsor them, wat are we even talking abt,is it not dis FIFA dat has turned to nigeria PDP in terms of officiating afta they`v sat down and do all the arrangee. May GOD punish them all. angry

That 48hrs is even too much they suppose to giv us 1hr, stupid set of people, they want to dictate for us, the era of slave trade has come and gone nothing like dat again, ur sanction makes us to wax stronger and stronger and by the time we come out, plaster will have himself blamed.

I always wonder the value of a bald headed man, they always think negatively. He cann`t control a large population of dis country like dat,our super eagles are no more superb,they are foolish boys ,we accept it .

Even there shld not be any payment for them and all of them shld not be called for any matches again,they shld be banned form home and club matches. We want PA TELLA and SAMSON SIASIA BOYS to take over.
Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jul 02, 2010
miftah:

. We want PA TELLA and SAMSON SIASIA BOYS to take over.
WHEN THY ARE 50?ALL THOSE BOYS FUTURE WILL GET DESTROYED RIGHT NOW COS THEY WILL NOT HAVE THE CHANCE TO SHOW THE WORLD HOW GOOD THEY ARE .NO COMPETITION FOR THEM SO HOW DEM GO DEVELOP?IS IT BY PLAYING FOR BBC LIONS OF GBOKO OF INSURANCE OF BENIN?OUR CLUBS NO FIT WIN AFRICA CHAMPS LEAGUE AND YOU DEY RUN YOUR MOUTH,IF WE WERE A COUNTRY THAT HAS SOMETHING TO TRULLY FALLBACK ON,WE FOR FIT CALL FIFA BLUFF,BUT WE SO NOT HAVE A GOOD LEAGUE,PEOPLE ARE POOR SO YOUNG ONES NO FIT SPONSOR THEIR WAY TO BETTER LEAGUES FOR TRIAL,HOW DO YOU INTEND TO DEVELOP A TEAM WHEN THEY ARE NOT TESTED?
Re: Fifa Give Nigeria 48 Hours Ultimatum To Reverse Ban. by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jul 02, 2010
this is johnatahn's first test. what an idiot

of all things t o get into graga over - football

not  a fight with phcn, not a fight with the governors forum , not some gragra over mistreatment of nigrains abroad - its a shame  embarassed embarassed embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

African Nations Cup Adjusted For Ramadan, To Begin On June 21 (PHOTO) / Africa Cup Of Nations Equatorial Guinea 2015. The Official Thread / Frank Lampard, Expected To Stay As Interim Coach Until The End Of The Season

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.