Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,880 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:27 AM

Curiosity!, Being An International Student In Northern Cyprus. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Curiosity!, Being An International Student In Northern Cyprus. (1701 Views)

Be Wary Of Northern Cyprus: FG Issues Travel Advisory For Nigerians / FG Advises Nigerians Against Travelling To Northern Cyprus / A Nairalander's Trip To City Of Alameda In Northern California USA (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Curiosity!, Being An International Student In Northern Cyprus. by Nanain: 12:02am On Sep 10, 2018
Good day guys,
I would be applying to study at a university in northern Cyprus for the spring semester, would like to get a first hand information from Nigerian students currently studying there, on what it is like to be an international student there and especially their experiences if they don't mind.
Your contributions would be very much appreciated.
Thanks.
Re: Curiosity!, Being An International Student In Northern Cyprus. by Nobody: 3:34am On Sep 10, 2018
Be careful with North Cyprus because it is not officially recognized as a country. Do your research.

4 Likes

Re: Curiosity!, Being An International Student In Northern Cyprus. by Nanain: 6:25pm On Sep 11, 2018
germanized:
Be careful with North Cyprus because it is not officially recognized as a country. Do your research.

Yes bro, thanks.
But i heard and have seen online that their universities have good international reputation.

2 Likes

Re: Curiosity!, Being An International Student In Northern Cyprus. by Nanain: 6:30pm On Sep 11, 2018
Please does anyone , have any suggestion about how i could confirm the accreditation of these schools,
Eastern Mediterranean University,
Cyprus science University,
Middle East Technical University.

And also cost of living as an international student in any of these schools?
Re: Curiosity!, Being An International Student In Northern Cyprus. by deejay102: 4:01am On Sep 12, 2018
It is okay to be skeptical, especially when traveling to a place for the first time.

Truth is that many that tells you to be careful and all only do so based on information online. They haven't really been there yet.

It is not a recognized country to the world, this it true but you can do pretty much everything you will do and more (compared with Nigeria) with a fully acknowledged country.

They are in close relationship with Turkey, which means they stand on Turkey's shoulders for everything. In other words, Turkey allows them to do everything as a country. Whatever cant be done( eg visas for some countries) or may not be recognized bearing the TRNC status can be done in Turkey. I have tried it so I know.

Notwithstanding, there are enbassies here. US and Turkish embassies I know for certain.

As for the schools, don't let anyone deceive you further. The schools are recognized globally. Students transfer and get admitted to schools in US, Canada and Europe with their North Cyprus diplomas everytime. Again, the accreditations are from Turkey and other international bodies.

North Cyprus although small, is far better than Nigeria in all ramifications. Everything works here.

Make your plans before things get tougher to get in. Most importantly, have your funds to care for your stay and school.. Jobs are scarce and cant pay your tuition if you are lucky to get one. Language is a problem.

Despite the lies everywhere and little truth in the exaggerations about North Cyprus, I came here last spring and I confirm that many are not true. You can always get things done.

Dont do drugs or illegal stuff, dont fight or cause trouble and you will enjoy Kibris.

Good luck friend.
Re: Curiosity!, Being An International Student In Northern Cyprus. by AdemolaA2: 5:45am On Sep 12, 2018
deejay102:
It is okay to be skeptical, especially when traveling to a place for the first time.

Truth is that many that tells you to be careful and all only do so based on information online. They haven't really been there yet.

It is not a recognized country to the world, this it true but you can do pretty much everything you will do and more (compared with Nigeria) with a fully

They are in close relationship with Turkey, which means they stand on Turkey's shoulders for everything. In other words, Turkey allows them to do everything as a country. Whatever cant be done( eg visas for some countries) or may not be recognized bearing the TRNC status can be done in Turkey. I have tried it so I know.

Notwithstanding, there are enbassies here. US and Turkish embassies I know for certain.

As for the schools, don't let anyone deceive you further. The schools are recognized globally. Students transfer and get admitted to schools in US, Canada and Europe with their North Cyprus diplomas everytime. Again, the accreditations are from Turkey and other international bodies.

North Cyprus although small, is far better than Nigeria in all ramifications. Everything works here.

Make your plans before things get tougher to get in. Most importantly, have your funds to care for your stay and school.. Jobs are scarce and cant pay your tuition if you are lucky to get one. Language is a problem.

Despite the lies everywhere and little truth in the exaggerations about North Cyprus, I came here last spring and I confirm that many are not true. You can always get things done.

Dont do drugs or illegal stuff, dont fight or cause trouble and you will enjoy Kibris.

Good luck friend.

I lived in Kibris for almost 5 years and I can successfully write a book on that country . Well , to answer the questions the young lad has asked.

The pros - It gives you a bigger exposure to international world
- There is a system there and it’s a very well secured country
- The universities in Kibris are recognized world wide
- Standard of living there is far better than what we have in Nigeria.
- Migrating to other parts of the world isn’t as tough as when we apply from Nigeria.
- Racists rants are usually not heard of during my stay there except of very few occassions.

Cons

-Cost of living there is very high
- Insuffiient job opportunities to cater for your needs.
- language barrier as their lingua Franca is Turkish language
- A lazy person cannot survive or manage there
-
-
Re: Curiosity!, Being An International Student In Northern Cyprus. by Nanain: 2:12am On Sep 14, 2018
Thank you all for your contributions and advice.
Re: Curiosity!, Being An International Student In Northern Cyprus. by Nanain: 2:15am On Sep 14, 2018
AdemolaA2:

I lived in Kibris for almost 5 years and I can successfully write a book on that country . Well , to answer the questions the young lad has asked.

The pros - It gives you a bigger exposure to international world
- There is a system there and it’s a very well secured country
- The universities in Kibris are recognized world wide
- Standard of living there is far better than what we have in Nigeria.
- Migrating to other parts of the world isn’t as tough as when we apply from Nigeria.
- Racists rants are usually not heard of during my stay there except of very few occassions.

Cons

-Cost of living there is very high
- Insuffiient job opportunities to cater for your needs.
- language barrier as their lingua Franca is Turkish language
- A lazy person cannot survive or manage there
-
-

Ok, but please could you give me an example, of what the cost of living, in a month would look like.
And what type of jobs are available for international students.
Though I know they are scarce.
Re: Curiosity!, Being An International Student In Northern Cyprus. by Nanain: 2:20am On Sep 14, 2018
deejay102:

It is not a recognized country to the world, this it true but you can do pretty much everything you will do and more (compared with Nigeria) with a fully acknowledged country.

Good luck friend.
Thanks for the information.
Someone once told me that starting the undergraduate studies in Cyprus from spring semester- that's from February could be of a little disadvantage since my peers would be ahead of me in a way.

Could intrrnaintern students fly to other European countries during their holidays to visit their family and friends and also can they work when they get there.
Re: Curiosity!, Being An International Student In Northern Cyprus. by AdemolaA2: 6:07am On Sep 14, 2018
Nanain:

Ok, but please could you give me an example, of what the cost of living, in a month would look like.
And what type of jobs are available for international students.
Though I know they are scarce.
Left Kibris since 2015 .. as at that time , Studio apartment cost was 250 to 300 pounds per month depending on how beautiful and equipped the apartment is plus the area it’s located .
3 bedroom apartment per month was 300-350 pounds
T fare from Lefkosa to Girne was 2.5. Turkish Lira ( 87 Naira multiplied by 2.5 )
Bus fare within town just per trip was 2.0TL ( 87 Naira multiplied by 2.0
Full chicken (soft) - 18.5TL -23 TL
Electricity bills per month - 125TL
Internet ( unlimited downloads with a very good bandwidth ) - 65TL per month
Water per month - 25tl
Your compulsory annual Residence permit renewal - over 180TL
Etc
Re: Curiosity!, Being An International Student In Northern Cyprus. by deejay102: 9:07am On Sep 14, 2018
Nanain:

Thanks for the information.
Someone once told me that starting the undergraduate studies in Cyprus from spring semester- that's from February could be of a little disadvantage since my peers would be ahead of me in a way.

Could intrrnaintern students fly to other European countries during their holidays to visit their family and friends and also can they work when they get there.

About the spring semester resumption. It is not true. Each student have their term and you will be classified as spring semester term. A friend of mine resumed UG in February and there is no problem at all.

Yes you can fly anywhere you please during holidays and whenever for that matter provided you have required visa/papers. As for working, I don't know.
Re: Curiosity!, Being An International Student In Northern Cyprus. by solidworks(m): 3:44pm On Jan 31, 2020
deejay102:

Good luck friend.

Please someone should direct me, I got acceptance letter from EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN UNIVERSITY for MS in Mechanical Engineering (spring). How do i apply for student visa, should I book appointment in Turkey embassy since Cyprus embassy is not in Nigeria. I have not been outside Nigeria before, I am sleeping on Google but I need guidance.
Re: Curiosity!, Being An International Student In Northern Cyprus. by solidworks(m): 4:35am On Mar 11, 2020
solidworks:

Please someone should direct me, I got acceptance letter from EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN UNIVERSITY for MS in Mechanical Engineering (spring). How do i apply for student visa, should I book appointment in Turkey embassy since Cyprus embassy is not in Nigeria. I have not been outside Nigeria before, I am sleeping on Google but I need guidance.
I have been to Dubai, Turkey and now in North Cyprus studying my dream course. Don't give up on your dreams people will make it look impossible wink

Re: Curiosity!, Being An International Student In Northern Cyprus. by deejay102: 4:22pm On Mar 30, 2021
Congratulations

(1) (Reply)

10 Countries You Should Never Visit (if You Value Your Safety) / Top 10 Most Under-developed State Capitals In Nigeria / University Recognized By Wes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.