|Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,076,600 members, 4,484,470 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 September 2018 at 11:41 PM
|Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by aywhy93(m): 11:36am On Sep 12|
I Saw this long, nice article about Ibadan on Facebook and I was really enticed with the facts. I verified most of them on Google and I was able to get back ups on Wikipedia. I won't be wrong saying this Article was culled from Wikipedia.
Note::: This is not a thread for debating on which city is better but just to enlighten those that know nothing or few about this Big City or those that have been misinformed. Enjoy!!!
Did/Do you know that:
● Ibadan is the third Largest city in Africa after Cairo and Johannesburg (Wikipedia)
● Ibadan is the third most populous city in Nigeria after Kano and Lagos
● Ibadan is the Home of Nigeria Army 2nd Division
● Ibadan City alone has a population of 3,720,643 people (2006 census), with this more populous than states like, Enugu, Gombe, Osun, Cross-River, Sokoto, Ondo, Kebbi, Edo, Benue, Bayelsa, Abia, Kwara, Adamawa, Ebonyi, Kogi, Nasarawa, Taraba, Pleatue, Ekiti, Yobe and Zamfara (2006 census)
● Ibadan has 11 recognised Local Government Area with an Average of 338,462 people per L.G.A as against 150,000 people per L.G.A of Fed constitution recommendation, the Nigerian Constitution stipulate 10 L.G.A for provision to create a state
● "Ibadan North" L. G. A. is one of the first four most populated L.G.A in Nigeria with 856,988 people and Oluyole 734,377 people (2006 census)
● Ibadan has 5 metropolitan L.G.A namely Ibadan North, Ibadan North-West, Ibadan North-East, Ibadan South-West and Ibadan South-East
● Ibadan has 6 Urban-rural L.G.A namely Egbeda, Oluyole, Ona-Ara, Lagelu,Akinyele and Ido
● Ibadan has its oldest L.G.A such as Oluyole, Akinyele and Lagelu L.G.A
● Ibadan is the Capital of Western Colonial Administration 1893 and also Western Region since 1939
● Ibadan operates the most orderly and peaceful monarchy system anywhere in the whole universe*
● Ibadan hosts the very first University in Nigeria and the first and the best Zoological Garden (renovated few years ago by Pastor E.A. Adeboye) nationwide (in the University of Ibadan campus)
● Ibadan covers a total Area of 3,186 sq. km (1,195sq miles) close to the whole of Lagos State 3,348 sq.km
● Ibadan has 7 Federal Constituencies as against constitution stipulation of 6 to create a state
● Ibadan puts Oyo State as the 4th largest economy in Nigeria
● Ibadan is Nigeria’s 3rd cheapest city to live
● Ibadan has a Federal Airport (Alakia), boarding passengers to cities like Kano, Lagos, Abuja, Benin, Port Harcourt etc.
● Ibadan has 4 Government Reservation Areas (GRA, as we call them) – Iyaganku, Jericho, Onireke, and Agodi.
● Ibadan hosted the first Housing Corporation in Nigeria that built the first housing estate in Nigeria, Bodija Housing Estate.
● Ibadan has the oldest Surviving Newspaper in Nigeria (Tribune Newspaper)
● Ibadan hosts the first TV station in the whole of Africa 1959 as WRBC, later WNTV/WNBS and now NTA Ibadan
● Ibadan has 6 Television stations (Galaxy as the first private station in Nigeria 1994, NTA, AIT, MiTV, because, Fortis TV Ibadan.
● Ibadan has 27 Radio stations operating in the same city; namely Fresh FM, Splash FM, Inspiration, Premier FM, Oluyole FM, Lagelu FM, Star FM, Space FM, Diamond/UI FM, Naija FM, Radio Nigeria, Amuludun FM etc.
● Ibadan hosts Mapo Hall, one of only 2 Town Halls in Africa of Greco-Roman architectural style.
● Ibadan’s house-numbering, system for postal delivery using the cardinal points, N, S, E, W, SW,SE, NW, and NE is the only one of such postal codes in Africa, designed by the British.
● Ibadan has the Bowers' Towers, designed by British Colonial Officer Taffy (also designed the Mapo Hall) is the only structure of its kind in Nigeria and West Africa, located on top of the city in the Agala Forest.
● Ibadan hosted the first fruit canning factory in Nigeria, Lafia Canning Company, established and owned by the Western Nigeria Development Corporation, and supplied by the citrus and pineapple farm of Apoje, near Ijebu Igbo (in present day Ogun State)
● Ibadan consists of several almost-independent, self-sustaining big communities:
• The City itself
• University of Ibadan campus
• The Ibadan Polytechnic campus
• The University College Hospital (UCH) community
• The Moor Plantation community, including the IAR&T campus
• The IITA community
• CRIN community
• The Nigerian Railway compound and living quarters
• The Odogbo Barracks community of the Nigerian Army
• The Lead City University campus
• The religious communities of Immanuel College and the Dominican Community.
● Ibadan is the only city in Nigeria that has over 15 Federal Tertiary Institutions/Research Institutes, namely:
1. University of Ibadan, formerly University College, Ibadan,1948 (Nigeria’s Premier University).
2. Nigeria Institute for Social and Economic Research, (NISER)
3. Institute for Agricultural Research and Training (I.A.R &T) Moor Plantation*
4. National Institute of Horticulture Research and Training (NIHORT)
5. National Cereal Research Institute (NCRI) 1958
7. Forestry Research Institute of Nigeria (FRIN)
8. University College Hospital (UCH) 1948, including School of Nursing
9. Federal School of Statistics
10. College of Health Technology
11. Federal Co-operative College
12. Federal College of Agriculture,1921
13. Federal College of Animal Health and Production Technology
14. Federal College of Forestry
15. International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, IITA (an international/global Institute)
16. Cocoa Research Institute of Nigeria (CRIN)1956*
17. National Institute of Science Laboratory Technology (NISCLT)
18. Ibadan Polytechnic (owned by Oyo State) but started as the College of Science and Arts
● Ibadan has several private higher institutions of learning such as:
• Immanuel College of Theology
• Lead City University
• Ibadan City Polytechnic
• BOLMOL Polytechnic
• Dominican University
• Tower Polytechnic
• All-Ibadan College of Education
• Mufu Lanihun College of Education
• Precious Cornerstone University
• KolaDaisi University
● Ibadan has the Largest Supermarket in Africa (Shoprite Ibadan Ring-Road branch)
● Ibadan has the first stadium and International Stadium in Nigeria (1945) the Liberty Stadium (now Obafemi Awolowo Stadium) with 35,846 capacity
● Ibadan is the home of Book Publishers, having over major 20 printing companies i.e. Oxford University Press, Ibadan University Press, Heinemann, Evans, Spectrum, Bounty, Odua Press, Macmillan etc.
● Ibadan hosts the Regional Headquarter of Central Bank Of Nigeria, Dugbe, under which states like Ondo, Delta, Ogun, Kogi,Edo Ekiti, Ilorin, and Oyo operate.
● Ibadan to Oyo is the first motorable road in Nigeria 1905 built by Sir Percy Girouard
● The busiest road in Nigeria is Lagos-Ibadan followed by Abuja-Kaduna express road
● An Ibadan man, Mr Taiwo Akinkumi designed Nigeria Nation Flag (1959)
● Ibadan has the first tallest building in Africa, "Cocoa House" 1962.
● Ibadan hosts the first set of Secondary schools in Nigeria.
• St. Anne's School, Molete 1868,
• Ibadan Grammar School, Molete, 1913,
• Ibadan Boys High School, 1938,
• Government College, Apata, Ibadan 1927,
• Queen School, Apata, Ibadan 1956,
• St Patrick Grammar School 1962,
• Ibadan City Academy, Eleta 1946,
• Wesley College, Elekuro, (a teacher training college) 1905,
• St. Theresa’s Girl School, Oke-Ado, 1932,
• Yejide Girls Grammar School, Kudeti, 1956,
• Loyola College, Agodi,1954
• Lagelu Grammar School, Agugu, 1958
• Igbo Elerin Grammar School, via Ibadan, 1957.
● Ibadan is the city with the highest number of Professors in the whole of Africa
● Ibadan is the fastest growing city in Nigeria
Culled from Wikipedia..!
142 Likes 12 Shares
|Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by Chriswazo(m): 3:47pm On Sep 12|
Am proud of the city. I did my NYSC there, precisely at Ido. The city is cool mehn, wish i can go back there
120 Likes 6 Shares
|Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by AfricaNigerian: 4:04pm On Sep 12|
Nice writeup @Op
|Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by BECALMBECALM(m): 4:21pm On Sep 12|
Wow!! Very good information
|Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by stevebent(m): 4:25pm On Sep 12|
Lalasticlala this deserves front page I believe
|Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by aywhy93(m): 10:16am On Sep 13|
Yeah. Really cool City bro. It's a nice place to settle down.
56 Likes 2 Shares
|Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by aywhy93(m): 10:17am On Sep 13|
|Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by Chriswazo(m): 10:18am On Sep 13|
|Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by aywhy93(m): 10:21am On Sep 13|
Really interesting Bro...
It's funny how majority see the city differently based on what they hear and the only single part they've seen.
I hope the mods will push it to front page to enlighten people more.
|Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by miqos03: 1:44pm On Sep 13|
|Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by MrImole(m): 1:44pm On Sep 13|
Are you sure of this?
|Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by Phorlahkeh1: 1:45pm On Sep 13|
A true Yoruba city
19 Likes 1 Share
|Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by DREAMZZZ(m): 1:45pm On Sep 13|
Brown roof amaka!
12 Likes 2 Shares
|Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by worlexy(m): 1:47pm On Sep 13|
Ibadan ajegbin jekarahun
19 Likes 1 Share
|Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by zinnyzee(f): 1:47pm On Sep 13|
|Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by ehispapa(m): 1:49pm On Sep 13|
please tell me what is cool about Ibadan? i was born there and my primary are Army Children School before we moved out. i always visit but nothing catches my fancy in that city
26 Likes 1 Share
|Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by totit: 1:49pm On Sep 13|
Ibadan ile oluyole
|Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by Celebritydevelo: 1:49pm On Sep 13|
|Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by jeff1607(m): 1:50pm On Sep 13|
|Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by horlatunes: 1:50pm On Sep 13|
proudly Omo Ibadan
Omo Ibadan kini so re? �
|Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by adioolayi(m): 1:50pm On Sep 13|
● Ibadan operates the most orderly and peaceful monarchy system anywhere in the whole universe*
Until now, one Mufungo governor wan spoil am for us
37 Likes 2 Shares
|Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by akeentech(m): 1:50pm On Sep 13|
A little Ibadan girl will abuse you to forget your name
|Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by wolesmile(m): 1:50pm On Sep 13|
It is the brown roof city
5 Likes 1 Share
|Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by Thebwoy: 1:50pm On Sep 13|
2 Likes 1 Share
|Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by Ivanmykel(f): 1:51pm On Sep 13|
Yeah, the city is cool, cheap, not as busy as Lagos. My only problem with them is communication and slow development, majority of them do not understand English.
It's a nice place to cool off though, I love IB City.
|Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by RexTramadol1(m): 1:51pm On Sep 13|
Ibadan nile oluyole
Na una get all this?
Good of you then.
|Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by Thebwoy: 1:51pm On Sep 13|
United village of brown roofs
|Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by NaijaMutant(f): 1:52pm On Sep 13|
Ibadan with all its glory is still covered with brown roofs
What an irony
|Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by zomby(m): 1:52pm On Sep 13|
I love Ibadan more than any other city in Nigeria...All will be fine in Ibadan as soon as they get rid of those scary looking rusty roofs!
23 Likes 1 Share
Map Of The Itakpe - Ajaokuta - Warri Rail Line Corridors And Future Extensions / Nigerian Woman Gives Birth On Europe Bound Migrant Ship (pics) / Italian Embassy Lagos Is The Most Corrupt Embassy In The World
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2018 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89