Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,437 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:35 AM

Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN (33761 Views)

Incredible New Footage Shows Titanic Wreck In Highest Quality Ever (Video, Pics) / Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IJEBU * / 15 Incredible Facts About Air Travel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by TheShopKeeper(m): 2:38pm On Sep 13, 2018
...Ibadan is the home city of the best and most decorated football club in Nigeria - 3SC Shooting Stars Sports club aka 'Oluyole Warriors'....with the best club supporters...

5 Likes

Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by totit: 2:39pm On Sep 13, 2018
Ibadan .. grin

Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by Alvin007: 2:41pm On Sep 13, 2018
Lordofthewest:
The average yoruba don't like speaking English even the professors, English isn't our language abeg I see no reason why anyone should go about bragging of speaking good English..id rather boast of speaking pidgin instead who English epp?
Where’s your sense of humor?
I think you meant ‘The average African’
Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by writeprof(m): 2:43pm On Sep 13, 2018
Informative info. But I wonder why Ibadan has not been able to take the sophistication of Lagos like it's rubbing of on Abeokuta and other places in Ogun state. Do will put it on the head of the politicians or the people?
Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by Cajal(m): 2:46pm On Sep 13, 2018
Ibadan is only 3rd to Lagos...kano...in terms of no of satilite towns...
Abuja is 4th
Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by farem: 2:46pm On Sep 13, 2018
aywhy93:
I Saw this long, nice article about Ibadan on Facebook and I was really enticed with the facts. I verified most of them on Google and I was able to get back ups on Wikipedia. I won't be wrong saying this Article was culled from Wikipedia.

Note::: This is not a thread for debating on which city is better but just to enlighten those that know nothing or few about this Big City or those that have been misinformed. Enjoy!!!

Did/Do you know that:

● Ibadan is the third Largest city in Africa after Cairo and Johannesburg (Wikipedia)

● Ibadan is the third most populous city in Nigeria after Kano and Lagos

● Ibadan is the Home of Nigeria Army 2nd Division

● Ibadan City alone has a population of 3,720,643 people (2006 census), with this more populous than states like, Enugu, Gombe, Osun, Cross-River, Sokoto, Ondo, Kebbi, Edo, Benue, Bayelsa, Abia, Kwara, Adamawa, Ebonyi, Kogi, Nasarawa, Taraba, Pleatue, Ekiti, Yobe and Zamfara (2006 census)

● Ibadan has 11 recognised Local Government Area with an Average of 338,462 people per L.G.A as against 150,000 people per L.G.A of Fed constitution recommendation, the Nigerian Constitution stipulate 10 L.G.A for provision to create a state

● "Ibadan North" L. G. A. is one of the first four most populated L.G.A in Nigeria with 856,988 people and Oluyole 734,377 people (2006 census)

● Ibadan has 5 metropolitan L.G.A namely Ibadan North, Ibadan North-West, Ibadan North-East, Ibadan South-West and Ibadan South-East

● Ibadan has 6 Urban-rural L.G.A namely Egbeda, Oluyole, Ona-Ara, Lagelu,Akinyele and Ido

● Ibadan has its oldest L.G.A such as Oluyole, Akinyele and Lagelu L.G.A

● Ibadan is the Capital of Western Colonial Administration 1893 and also Western Region since 1939

● Ibadan operates the most orderly and peaceful monarchy system anywhere in the whole universe*

● Ibadan hosts the very first University in Nigeria and the first and the best Zoological Garden (renovated few years ago by Pastor E.A. Adeboye) nationwide (in the University of Ibadan campus)

● Ibadan covers a total Area of 3,186 sq. km (1,195sq miles) close to the whole of Lagos State 3,348 sq.km

● Ibadan has 7 Federal Constituencies as against constitution stipulation of 6 to create a state

● Ibadan puts Oyo State as the 4th largest economy in Nigeria

● Ibadan is Nigeria’s 3rd cheapest city to live

● Ibadan has a Federal Airport (Alakia), boarding passengers to cities like Kano, Lagos, Abuja, Benin, Port Harcourt etc.

● Ibadan has 4 Government Reservation Areas (GRA, as we call them) – Iyaganku, Jericho, Onireke, and Agodi.

● Ibadan hosted the first Housing Corporation in Nigeria that built the first housing estate in Nigeria, Bodija Housing Estate.

● Ibadan has the oldest Surviving Newspaper in Nigeria (Tribune Newspaper)

● Ibadan hosts the first TV station in the whole of Africa 1959 as WRBC, later WNTV/WNBS and now NTA Ibadan

● Ibadan has 6 Television stations (Galaxy as the first private station in Nigeria 1994, NTA, AIT, MiTV, because, Fortis TV Ibadan.

● Ibadan has 27 Radio stations operating in the same city; namely Fresh FM, Splash FM, Inspiration, Premier FM, Oluyole FM, Lagelu FM, Star FM, Space FM, Diamond/UI FM, Naija FM, Radio Nigeria, Amuludun FM etc.

● Ibadan hosts Mapo Hall, one of only 2 Town Halls in Africa of Greco-Roman architectural style.

● Ibadan’s house-numbering, system for postal delivery using the cardinal points, N, S, E, W, SW,SE, NW, and NE is the only one of such postal codes in Africa, designed by the British.

● Ibadan has the Bowers' Towers, designed by British Colonial Officer Taffy (also designed the Mapo Hall) is the only structure of its kind in Nigeria and West Africa, located on top of the city in the Agala Forest.

● Ibadan hosted the first fruit canning factory in Nigeria, Lafia Canning Company, established and owned by the Western Nigeria Development Corporation, and supplied by the citrus and pineapple farm of Apoje, near Ijebu Igbo (in present day Ogun State)

● Ibadan consists of several almost-independent, self-sustaining big communities:
• The City itself
• University of Ibadan campus
• The Ibadan Polytechnic campus
• The University College Hospital (UCH) community
• The Moor Plantation community, including the IAR&T campus
• The IITA community
• CRIN community
• The Nigerian Railway compound and living quarters
• The Odogbo Barracks community of the Nigerian Army
• The Lead City University campus
• The religious communities of Immanuel College and the Dominican Community.

● Ibadan is the only city in Nigeria that has over 15 Federal Tertiary Institutions/Research Institutes, namely:
1. University of Ibadan, formerly University College, Ibadan,1948 (Nigeria’s Premier University).
2. Nigeria Institute for Social and Economic Research, (NISER)
3. Institute for Agricultural Research and Training (I.A.R &T) Moor Plantation*
4. National Institute of Horticulture Research and Training (NIHORT)
5. National Cereal Research Institute (NCRI) 1958
7. Forestry Research Institute of Nigeria (FRIN)
8. University College Hospital (UCH) 1948, including School of Nursing
9. Federal School of Statistics
10. College of Health Technology
11. Federal Co-operative College
12. Federal College of Agriculture,1921
13. Federal College of Animal Health and Production Technology
14. Federal College of Forestry
15. International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, IITA (an international/global Institute)
16. Cocoa Research Institute of Nigeria (CRIN)1956*
17. National Institute of Science Laboratory Technology (NISCLT)
18. Ibadan Polytechnic (owned by Oyo State) but started as the College of Science and Arts

● Ibadan has several private higher institutions of learning such as:
• Immanuel College of Theology
• Lead City University
• Ibadan City Polytechnic
• BOLMOL Polytechnic
• Dominican University
• Tower Polytechnic
• All-Ibadan College of Education
• Mufu Lanihun College of Education
• Precious Cornerstone University
• KolaDaisi University

● Ibadan has the Largest Supermarket in Africa (Shoprite Ibadan Ring-Road branch)

● Ibadan has the first stadium and International Stadium in Nigeria (1945) the Liberty Stadium (now Obafemi Awolowo Stadium) with 35,846 capacity

● Ibadan is the home of Book Publishers, having over major 20 printing companies i.e. Oxford University Press, Ibadan University Press, Heinemann, Evans, Spectrum, Bounty, Odua Press, Macmillan etc.

● Ibadan hosts the Regional Headquarter of Central Bank Of Nigeria, Dugbe, under which states like Ondo, Delta, Ogun, Kogi,Edo Ekiti, Ilorin, and Oyo operate.

● Ibadan to Oyo is the first motorable road in Nigeria 1905 built by Sir Percy Girouard

● The busiest road in Nigeria is Lagos-Ibadan followed by Abuja-Kaduna express road

● An Ibadan man, Mr Taiwo Akinkumi designed Nigeria Nation Flag (1959)

● Ibadan has the first tallest building in Africa, "Cocoa House" 1962.

● Ibadan hosts the first set of Secondary schools in Nigeria.
• St. Anne's School, Molete 1868,
• Ibadan Grammar School, Molete, 1913,
• Ibadan Boys High School, 1938,
• Government College, Apata, Ibadan 1927,
• Queen School, Apata, Ibadan 1956,
• St Patrick Grammar School 1962,
• Ibadan City Academy, Eleta 1946,
• Wesley College, Elekuro, (a teacher training college) 1905,
• St. Theresa’s Girl School, Oke-Ado, 1932,
• Yejide Girls Grammar School, Kudeti, 1956,
• Loyola College, Agodi,1954
• Lagelu Grammar School, Agugu, 1958
• Igbo Elerin Grammar School, via Ibadan, 1957.

● Ibadan is the city with the highest number of Professors in the whole of Africa

● Ibadan is the fastest growing city in Nigeria

Culled from Wikipedia..!

These facts are enviable. There's nothing anyone or people can do about these facts, they are unbreakable!

3 Likes

Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by Nobody: 2:47pm On Sep 13, 2018
Ttipsy:
what is my business if Anambra has or not? fool I'm telling you, upon all the facts here the city can't boast of an Airport. lol

You are wrong.
Ibadan has an airport but records very low passenger traffic yearly, it's so low that if it's number of yearly passengers is multiplied by 4, it will still be lower than those of the Owerri and Kano airports.

1 Like

Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by totit: 2:47pm On Sep 13, 2018
cool
Should you by any chance develop BP or hypertension because of what I am uploading here borne out of envy,bitterness or hatred please don't quote me kindly visit your nearest clinic.

I love you grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by Lordofthewest(m): 2:49pm On Sep 13, 2018
Can't you people read...Ibadan used to have the tallest building at the time in Africa and the first skyscraper in Africa at the time.
nnamdijonathan:
Ibadan has the tallest building in Africa? What kind of lie is this nah?
Ibadan with its huge landmass does not still have the largest urban area in Nigeria
This is from Wikipedia

2 Likes

Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by Nobody: 2:51pm On Sep 13, 2018
totit:
cool
Should you by any chance develop BP or hypertension because of what I am uploading here borne out of envy,bitterness or hatred please don't quote me kindly visit your nearest clinic.

I love you grin

You have been looking for attention since and nobody quoted you so I decided to quote you so don't feel sad. Oya thank me
Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by Ttipsy(f): 2:51pm On Sep 13, 2018
nnamdijonathan:

You are wrong.
Ibadan has an airport but records very low passenger traffic yearly, it's so low that if it's number of yearly passengers is multiplied by 4, it will still be lower than those of the Owerri and Kano airports.
Ibadan Airport is a mess! get your analysis right, Kano and Owerri Airports receives high passenger traffic, and are among top Airports we have in Nigeria respectively
Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by traihit: 2:54pm On Sep 13, 2018
Lack of consistent physical planning by several administrations is what rotted Ibadan to the level that one sees. IB is so big that you'd think you've seen all unless you've actually seen the length and breath of it. Ibadan is just a city with different world like a caricature of Nigeria itself. If you are in the poorer part, you'd think there's nothing else in the city, it is dead etc but when you rich the elite or industrial part of the city, you'd be proud of Nigeria. With all the ancient look and modernity rising up more and more, Ib is really cool.

1 Like

Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by aywhy93(m): 2:55pm On Sep 13, 2018
ehispapa:

please tell me what is cool about Ibadan? i was born there and my primary are Army Children School before we moved out. i always visit but nothing catches my fancy in that city

Change the location you visit when you go there, the city is too large to start explaining what and where is cool there. You can't visit a ghetto or rural area and expect to see 7 wonders of the world.

2 Likes

Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by aywhy93(m): 2:56pm On Sep 13, 2018
mariesnikz:
Ibadan has the highest number of brown roofs in the whole of Africa...

Source?
Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by traihit: 2:58pm On Sep 13, 2018
Ttipsy:
Ibadan Airport is a mess! get your analysis right, Kano and Owerri Airports receives high passenger traffic, and are among top Airports we have in Nigeria respectively

He was only correcting the first person who said that Ib doesn't have any airport. The same way many airports in Nigeria are suffering from neglect, Alakia airport has also been neglected starting from Bola Ige's period as the state governor. In case you don't know, neglect is what made what would have become the second airport in the city, Samonda airport to become the most expensive residential area in the city.
Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by Crossboy(m): 2:58pm On Sep 13, 2018
writeprof:
Informative info. But I wonder why Ibadan has not been able to take the sophistication of Lagos like it's rubbing of on Abeokuta and other places in Ogun state. Do will put it on the head of the politicians or the people?
Hmm Dats Bcus Ibadan Is Always It Self Ibadan Ki Se Egbe Baba Eni Ko Kan

2 Likes

Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by totit: 2:59pm On Sep 13, 2018
nnamdijonathan:

You have been looking for attention since and nobody quoted you so I decided to quote you so don't feel sad. Oya thank me

grin

Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by aywhy93(m): 2:59pm On Sep 13, 2018
farem:

These facts are enviable. There's nothing anyone or people can do about these facts, they unbreakable!

So true... No matter how Lagos develop reach. The first Skyscraper/TV Station/Radio etc in the country is still in Ibadan. It can't be changed!

2 Likes

Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by totit: 3:02pm On Sep 13, 2018
Now,back to business o' jare.. grin

Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by traihit: 3:02pm On Sep 13, 2018
aywhy93:

So true... No matter how Lagos develop reach. The first Skyscraper/TV Station/Radio etc in the country is still in Ibadan. It can't be changed!

Unfortunately some here don't know that Cocoa house is being referenced as the tallest building of its time, they're rather fighting over cities with the highest skyscrapers in Africa.
Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by totit: 3:04pm On Sep 13, 2018
grin

Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by totit: 3:07pm On Sep 13, 2018
cool

Ibadan..

Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by totit: 3:08pm On Sep 13, 2018
Facts don't lie cool

Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by omoelerin1: 3:10pm On Sep 13, 2018
Ivanmykel:
Yeah, the city is cool, cheap, not as busy as Lagos. My only problem with them is communication and slow development, majority of them do not understand English.
It's a nice place to cool off though, I love IB City.
Majority of them? You don't know what you are saying.
If you say some ancient people, I will agree with you.
Ibadan is an embodiment of Yoruba tradition and culture. As such, people prefer speaking Yoruba language.

3 Likes

Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by totit: 3:11pm On Sep 13, 2018
One love ya'all

cool cool

1 Like

Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by Crossboy(m): 3:12pm On Sep 13, 2018
Hmm Ibadan My Second Home After Calabar Very Nice Place To Live. Proudly Omo Ibadan

1 Like

Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by happney65: 3:13pm On Sep 13, 2018
TheShopKeeper:
...Ibadan is the home city of the best and most decorated football club in Nigeria - 3SC Shooting Stars Sports club aka 'Oluyole Warriors'....with the best club supporters...

Brother,You mean you are an Ibadan Person too?
Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by totit: 3:13pm On Sep 13, 2018
grin
They won't show you these sides , parts of Ibadan anyways .. grin

1 Like

Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by totit: 3:16pm On Sep 13, 2018
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by totit: 3:17pm On Sep 13, 2018
shocked shocked shocked shocked

grin

1 Like

Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by totit: 3:21pm On Sep 13, 2018
Ibadan aerial view on video

[ url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFAIJlP-UQQ[/url]
Re: Incredible Facts They Never Told You About IBADAN by hollah123: 3:26pm On Sep 13, 2018
conductor118:
Brown Roof Republic of Ibadam is more populous than Enugu? With all the growing number of missing skulls in that shithole?

Even low IQ idiotic Buhari Media Cows won't believe that lamba cheesy
check your Enugu on Google n show us what u see,dont ever compare any state in South East to Ibadan.forget what u hear your fellow ipob haters say.all those stated above are real fact

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Cattle Spotted At Ibadan Airport (Photos) / Anambra Cargo Airport As At July Last Year(photos) / Car Accident Along Games Village Expressway Abuja - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.