Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,583 members, 7,823,523 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:18 AM

Chimamanda Adichie: Men Commit Suicide More Because Of Patriarchy - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie: Men Commit Suicide More Because Of Patriarchy (21677 Views)

“I Don’t Want To Be Responsible For Traumatising Children” - Chimamanda Adichie / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Men Commit Suicide More Because Of Patriarchy by Gggg102(m): 1:57am On Sep 13, 2018
speedyGonzales:
Captain Obvious - It is because men have historically had to control their emotions to be able to protect your whinny and stupid feminist asses in the face of danger

But you fackers go around attacking men but when danger comes, you want the men to go out and defend you.

Just watch the Titanic, "women and children first", like say men no dey die or no be human.?

Men and Women are different, we are genetically, physically and mentally different. But we are humans and as humans we exist on a spectrum (even all women are not the same neither are all men the same) and we compliment each other, such that things function well according to the creators plan.

she's saying you should stop killing yourselves for them and you are still angry...
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Men Commit Suicide More Because Of Patriarchy by femi4: 4:55am On Sep 13, 2018
Colourich:
Did she just say women are not special?
yes ke. A feminist deserve no special treatment
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Men Commit Suicide More Because Of Patriarchy by kay29000(m): 5:46am On Sep 13, 2018
pocohantas:

Wow! I hope your thoughts of me are of good and not of evil?

I have had this conversation so many times, that I know soft and emotional = sissy. Macho/masculine = cocky.

I don't think anyone should be generally excited about that kinda soft-emotional partner, except a mischievous and manipulative person.

I was thinking of you cos I have a crush on you.

Anyway, about the topic. You do know all men/boy are not the same, right? Some are naturally very emotional. But it is clear women prefer the macho types. When the emotional guys consciously or unconsciously realize this, they do everything in their power to act tough and strong, so they can get the girls, and also live up to the image the society has for all MEN. That's all I am saying.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Men Commit Suicide More Because Of Patriarchy by Naija2mumu(m): 6:41am On Sep 13, 2018
grin
SarcasticGenius:
In other words, men must stop being men and become feminised in order to live longer.
grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Men Commit Suicide More Because Of Patriarchy by Naija2mumu(m): 6:44am On Sep 13, 2018
Colourich:
Did she just say women are not special?
dam right
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Men Commit Suicide More Because Of Patriarchy by Naija2mumu(m): 6:48am On Sep 13, 2018
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
Says who? We all need help. Infact guys ask for help more than ladies these days.
like pushing a car spoilt in muddy water
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Men Commit Suicide More Because Of Patriarchy by kokomilala(m): 7:28am On Sep 13, 2018
Women are weaker emotionally and it will always remain so till the end of time. It's the reason why they need me to support them.
Suicide is more of a spiritual problem. No mortal has the right to forfeit his own life. At times, suicide is caused by a guilt complex not dealt with. In other instances, when dignity is lost. In Japan most notably. And to a lesser extent, in the Yoruba culture.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Men Commit Suicide More Because Of Patriarchy by pocohantas(f): 8:04am On Sep 13, 2018
kay29000:

I was thinking of you cos I have a crush on you.

Anyway, about the topic. You do know all men/boy are not the same, right? Some are naturally very emotional. But it is clear women prefer the macho types. When the emotional guys consciously or unconsciously realize this, they do everything in their power to act tough and strong, so they can get the girls, and also live up to the image the society has for all MEN. That's all I am saying.

I would never have guessed that smiley.

Very Emotional people face challenges, irrespective of their gender. Being emotional doesn't make any man weak, it only shows his empathetic side is still alive and he isn't scared of showing it. I have no problem with that, so far he isn't a push-over.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Men Commit Suicide More Because Of Patriarchy by ablemachine(m): 8:39am On Sep 13, 2018
Searching grin

eleojo23:
Which side is she on this time?

It seems like she is...

Finish the sentence using the picture if you are smart wink
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Men Commit Suicide More Because Of Patriarchy by kay29000(m): 8:59am On Sep 13, 2018
pocohantas:

I would never have guessed that smiley.

Very Emotional people face challenges, irrespective of their gender. Being emotional doesn't make any man weak, it only shows his empathetic side is still alive and he isn't scared of showing it. I have no problem with that, so far he isn't a push-over.

Cool analysis. I like the way you think. I would like to be your friend in real life.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Men Commit Suicide More Because Of Patriarchy by goodlifeben: 9:35am On Sep 13, 2018
If you Are interested In making your story into E-book Format at a cheap rate message via whatsapp 08156585694 . 90% discount . make money with your writing
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Men Commit Suicide More Because Of Patriarchy by pocohantas(f): 9:45am On Sep 13, 2018
kay29000:

Cool analysis. I like the way you think. I would like to be your friend in real life.

Thanks. We are friends already... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Men Commit Suicide More Because Of Patriarchy by kay29000(m): 9:51am On Sep 13, 2018
pocohantas:

Thanks. We are friends already... cheesy

smiley
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Men Commit Suicide More Because Of Patriarchy by daveP(m): 9:53am On Sep 13, 2018
Chimamanda is a Nairalander. I repeat, she is a Nairalander!!!

Why is this coincidentally coming after the thread where guys that were molested when young were told to share their experiences was created? She used lots of words from comments on that thread.

Funny enough, it's not even her stance that we know her for. More like as if she read thru comments and saw chippets of good reasonable thoughts and ideas to now convince her to fill up her blank part in her skull. SMH and very laughable!!!!

Pls I advice she keeps reading more so she can get more convinced enough to bury the cannon she thinks is wrecking havoc but is just shooting loud.

I repeat. she is a nairalander. Simple!!!

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Men Commit Suicide More Because Of Patriarchy by FluidQueen(f): 10:03am On Sep 13, 2018
speedyGonzales:
Captain Obvious - It is because men have historically had to control their emotions to be able to protect your whinny and stupid feminist asses in the face of danger

But you fackers go around attacking men but when danger comes, you want the men to go out and defend you.

Just watch the Titanic, "women and children first", like say men no dey die or no be human.?

Men and Women are different, we are genetically, physically and mentally different. But we are humans and as humans we exist on a spectrum (even all women are not the same neither are all men the same) and we compliment each other, such that things function well according to the creators plan.

Who told you men and women are the same? Abi you just wantt to feign expertise on a topic you're totally ignorant on?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Men Commit Suicide More Because Of Patriarchy by GetCofOProperty: 10:26am On Sep 13, 2018
Well, Nigerians should start thinking Entrepreneurial/Entrepreneurship rather than fixed on a salary mindset. Consider this and check out this topic here https://www.nairaland.com/4729851/think-business-the-yet-fully-explored#71136619 VERY IMPORTANT..
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Men Commit Suicide More Because Of Patriarchy by ecstasy357(m): 11:26am On Sep 13, 2018
Magichand:

“Women are not special, women are human, women are flawed just like men… If we keep saying women are special, then we judge them at a higher and unfair standard. "

This is the true FEMINISM

Those who want to practice it should not expect any special treatment
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Men Commit Suicide More Because Of Patriarchy by speedyGonzales: 11:36am On Sep 13, 2018
FluidQueen:
Who told you men and women are the same? Abi you just wantt to feign expertise on a topic you're totally ignorant on?

You lack comprehension skills... or perhaps, you haven't read anything about feminism. elucidate yourself on the matter and make a rational argument on the matter. I have read extensively on this stupid philosophy and having lived in the west were this philosophy originated and is infecting young minds. I can tell you, it is the dumbest philosophy that polarizes society sowing unnecessary hatred, breeds misandry and encourages fascism. First they say men and women are the same, next they say that gender is a social construct and slowly you go into a rabbit hole of increasing stupidity. Please, don't quote me unless you have a rational argument. Do your own research, don't follow blindly.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Men Commit Suicide More Because Of Patriarchy by FluidQueen(f): 12:35pm On Sep 13, 2018
speedyGonzales:

You lack comprehension skills... or perhaps, you haven't read anything about feminism. elucidate yourself on the matter and make a rational argument on the matter. I have read extensively on this stupid philosophy and having lived in the west were this philosophy originated and is infecting young minds. I can tell you, it is the dumbest philosophy that polarizes society sowing unnecessary hatred, breeds misandry and encourages fascism. First they say men and women are the same, next they say that gender is a social construct and slowly you go into a rabbit hole of increasing stupidity. Please, don't quote me unless you have a rational argument. Do your own research, don't follow blindly.
it's one thing to read on a theory, A movement. It's another thing to comprehend, familiarize oneself with the realization of these theories.

You, my friend are busy throwing tantrums, exposing your ignorance of the subject and Basically, just yarning DUST.
Read on feminism. If you still can't grasp it mentally, get a toddler to break it down for you.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Men Commit Suicide More Because Of Patriarchy by Newboss(m): 4:20pm On Sep 13, 2018
irepnaija4eva:
Women are not special, women are human, women are flawed just like men… If we keep saying women are special, then we judge them at a higher and unfair standard.”

Hmmm..but some feminist will disagree on this...
Seems the husband's d**k is now hitting the right spot grin grin grin
Brain resetting take ti over..

What is this one saying? angry What she said is the very core of feminismangry

If you have ever read her book, you will know that she said nothing new. angry

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Men Commit Suicide More Because Of Patriarchy by Adonis3: 7:57pm On Sep 13, 2018
Colourich:
You are mad, where have I admitted to being a feminist?

Lol.. oya no vess, thought you were one of em.

Come chop kiss cheesy

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Men Commit Suicide More Because Of Patriarchy by speedyGonzales: 3:29pm On Sep 14, 2018
FluidQueen:
it's one thing to read on a theory, A movement. It's another thing to comprehend, familiarize oneself with the realization of these theories.

You, my friend are busy throwing tantrums, exposing your ignorance of the subject and Basically, just yarning DUST.
Read on feminism. If you still can't grasp it mentally, get a toddler to break it down for you.

Well, predictably you are one of the dumb feminist getting brainwashed by this nonsense, you a member of the herd, you cannot think independently. It is a cancer and you have been infected. I have read it, I have analysed it and compared it with facts and it doesn't hold up to scrutiny, and as a rational minded person, I discard as the nonsense it is. Do not reproduce, find the nearest transformer and hug it very tight. Good day.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: Men Commit Suicide More Because Of Patriarchy by Kipaji: 6:46pm On Jul 31, 2022
What she says makes sense in theory but fails in reality.
If she raises her son with the mentality that there's no problem crying, I'm afraid he may end up as a blue-pilled cucks.

<extract source="reddit">

Men being emotionally expressive only brings them more harm than good.

Most men have heard this before “It’s okay for men to be emotional” but the question is, is it really? Based on my own experience as well as the experiences of other men, being emotionally expressive only results in us being disrespected and laughed at by both men and women and it also gives people the impression that you are weak and can be easily be pushed around. Even in relationships and marriages, a man showing his emotions to a woman will only have him viewed as being weak and incompetent to the woman’s eyes which will impact the relationship significantly. Now, I’m not saying that men shouldn’t have emotions. We are human and we are bound to have them from time to time and just because you have emotions or are feeling emotional, it doesn’t mean you are weak. But I think it will serve men better if they just keep those emotions to themselves. If you need to cry, do it in your own private time where people can’t see you. Feeling sad or depressed? Workout, play a video game, listen to music, draw, or do whatever you need to do to take your mind off things. I think it will help men greatly if we learn to master the art of stoicism and practice it in our daily lives. It’s an unfortunate reality that men can’t afford to express themselves emotionally due to how society views emotional men but you must ask yourself: Do you want people to see you as someone to be pitied and incompetent or someone who is strong and reliable?
</extract>

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie At Igbo Conference In London- Pictures / Where Can I Download Free Ebook For My Java Phone? / Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.