Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,234 members, 7,818,783 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:10 AM

My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. (10472 Views)

Atheism In Countries 2022, Including Nigeria / Anti-atheism In Nigeria / 22 Year Study States Atheism In A Mental Disease? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by bloodofthelamb(m): 9:47pm On Sep 13, 2018
Martinez19:
grin grin grin grin grin I was born in a christian home.

F9!. That is not what makes people a Christian.
Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by Martinez19(m): 9:51pm On Sep 13, 2018
bloodofthelamb:

F9!. That is not what makes people a Christian.

F9! grin I knew you would say that. I chose the christian religion, like virtually all christians, because I was born into a christian home. I took it seriously 2015-2016.
Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by Martinez19(m): 9:55pm On Sep 13, 2018
@bloodofthelamb, who is a christian? Let's start here.
Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by bloodofthelamb(m): 10:40pm On Sep 13, 2018
Martinez19:
@bloodofthelamb, who is a christian? Let's start here.

A Christian is someone who is born of the Spirit through faith in Christ Jesus and his finished work. The Holy Spirit makes sinners who believe with all their heart and mind in Christ, Christians( conformed to the image of Christ).

You were into religion back then.
Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by Martinez19(m): 10:52pm On Sep 13, 2018
bloodofthelamb:

A Christian is someone who is born of the Spirit through faith in Christ Jesus and his finished work. The Holy Spirit makes sinners who believe with all their heart and mind in Christ, Christians( conformed to the image of Christ).

You were into religion back then.

The holy spirit doesn't exist. The christian "initiation", via the Holy spirit, that occurs when one believes in Jesus and confesses it is just in the mind. I too was at this stage.

Christianity is a religion. Check your dictionary.

1 Like

Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by HardMirror(m): 11:23pm On Sep 13, 2018
bloodofthelamb:

Thanks for the compliment. We preach what we have seen and experience.

Not hear say. Christ Jesus is the way!
lol. Smh. You just dont get it. We all were this sure in the past

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by Uchenaija: 11:34pm On Sep 13, 2018
HardMirror:
oh good! At last we have someone who wants to make sense.
I am ready hope you are too?

Agreed nothing comes from nothing, so where did everything come from? Seems you know.

Very ready if you can stand the heat.

Intelligent creations around suggest that they must be an intelligent creator behind it.

If that in your assumption is not true, then did they come chance or what is your conclusion od where they came from?
Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by Uchenaija: 11:42pm On Sep 13, 2018
frank317:

How is Jesus a supreme being? What's makes the story of a nice guy u read in the bible the story of a supreme being?
The story of that nice guy has been backed by historical facts.

If Jesus was a supreme being why are people doubting it? Why are Muslims doubting it? If u believe every religious story why don't u believe Mohammed was the messenger of God
They doubt it because they have been stereotyped into their beliefs & have not taken time to find out the facts. Even if they knew Islam cannot change it cos that's the foundation of the religion & thus can destroy it's very existence.

And what does that make ur God? A God that cannot convince the people he created that he is God is that one a God?
[quote]

That is why it is called convincing not forcing.

According to ur Jewish folk talk... Continue

[quote]
Seriously? Have angels spoken to u before?

A book of authority shows that.
Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by Uchenaija: 11:42pm On Sep 13, 2018
HardMirror:
oh good! At last we have someone who wants to make sense.
I am ready hope you are too?

Agreed nothing comes from nothing, so where did everything come from? Seems you know.

Intelligent creations around suggest that they must be an intelligent creator behind it.

If that in your assumption is not true, where did they come from? by chance or what is your conclusion of where they came from?
Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by Uchenaija: 11:44pm On Sep 13, 2018
Evangkatsoulis:

What's is your (Scientific) definition of common sense?

What is your scientific definition of [s]asking question that does not relate to the subject[/s] being stupid?
Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by Uchenaija: 11:48pm On Sep 13, 2018
HardMirror:
you mean a person gave him his mouth? Who is the person? Where does this person live? How did u know it is the person that gave him his poo hole called mouth?

Expecting your answers

Of course I know cos common sense & science tells me for every action there is a reaction & that there cannot be an effect without a cause.
Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by Uchenaija: 11:48pm On Sep 13, 2018
HardMirror:
he is not stupid. Infact he has displayed a higher level of intellect by asking you a philosophical question. Now answer, what is 'nothing'?

I've answered him.

Btw I'm I suppose to be teaching you english? And how is 'nothing' suppose to be philosophical?
Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by HardMirror(m): 11:49pm On Sep 13, 2018
Uchenaija:

If that in your assumption is not true, then did they come chance or what is your conclusion od where they came from?
good reply and sensible too. We are getting somewhere.

What informs you of a creator or designer? Typically, the designer himself or the fact designers of similar products are known.

Eg. Phones. I dont have to know all the manufacturers of phones, but i know humans manufacture phones because i have seen humans who are behind the manufacture of phones. So any time i see a phone i know humans should be behind it's creation. Same goes for everything i can claim to be man made, nature made (eg sand dunes) or made by animals (eg ant hills).

Now what makes humans?
Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by ichuka(m): 11:55pm On Sep 13, 2018
@OP
Being born in a religious home doesn't make one a Christain.same as attandung church meetings or program's.
A Christain is one who's born of God.(John1:12But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name, 13who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.)
Someone that's born of God belongs to God and can't change his birth rights.

1 Like

Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by HardMirror(m): 12:03am On Sep 14, 2018
ichuka:
@OP
Being born in a religious home doesn't make one a Christain.same as attandung church meetings or program's.
A Christain is one who's born of God.(John1:12But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name, 13who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.)
Someone that's born of God belongs to God and can't change his birth rights.
you people keep contradicting yourselves all within a sentence. Has many as received him, he gave them power to become sons of god, right? So if he was born in a christian home and told about christ, which he accepted to be true, what else do you want? All he needs is belief. The bible is very very clear on how to be a believer. Does he believe in christ as the son of god and sacrificw for the salvation of mankind? If yes, that is all. An average church goer already believes that, that is why he goes to church in the first place. Stop trying to complicate very simple matters

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by budaatum: 12:04am On Sep 14, 2018
Martinez19:
In the beginning, God created the heaven and earth, meaning that before creation on earth began, the earth and heavens were already established

Before I go to the creation of sun, moon, stars, and plant and animal life, any lack of clarity or disagreement?
Martinez19:
I am sure Christianity is the right one because I have had certain encounter with God. God has never failed me. He is the one who can give you the knowledge of the Bible as I have given you. I tell you, He is real and invisible. I have encountered Him.
You gave me laugh, I got headache. cheesy cheesy

How did you finally see light?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by HardMirror(m): 12:05am On Sep 14, 2018
HardMirror:

What informs you of a creator or designer? Typically, the designer himself or the fact designers of similar products are known.

Eg. Phones. I dont have to know all the manufacturers of phones, but i know humans manufacture phones because i have seen humans who are behind the manufacture of phones. So any time i see a phone i know humans should be behind it's creation. Same goes for everything i can claim to be man made, nature made (eg sand dunes) or made by animals (eg ant hills).

Now what makes humans?
uchenaija was online for about 15mins when i posted this reply, i thought you said you were ready for me. Now he has ran off. I was waiting so we could talk this out kept refreshing so i cld answer you on time, only for you to bail on me. Na wa o
Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by Uchenaija: 12:06am On Sep 14, 2018
Martinez19:
September 2016 skeptical renaissance cheesy

I started doubting. Though I still identified as a christian but I was the skeptical christian demanding proof and trying to know who the god of the universe is. grin

Your religious foundation is the basis of your problem.

A lot of religions are based on lies. And they can't change it cos they want to save face. And lies would always crumble no matter how it is covered.

When you learn the truth & you'd find out how much the world has been blind folded by religious teaches.

Those who have seen through this religious lies are the ones who have lost all faith in religion.

You don't need religion or any pastor to teach you the truth, the Bible has the truth and you need to find it yourself. It is no mystery & everything you need is in there.

Galileo & many other prominent scholars taught themselves the truth & saw through the lies in most religions.

What you stated in your screenshot is not what the Bible teaches. They're many of such lies found in many religions.

You have based all your religious faith from what you heard from the pulpit or from a religious leader & that is where you got it wrong.

Once you can fix that, then we can actually have a better/same level discussion on this matter.
Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by Uchenaija: 12:09am On Sep 14, 2018
HardMirror:
uchenaija was online for about 15mins when i posted this reply, i thought you said you were ready for me. Now he has ran off. I was waiting so we could talk this out kept refreshing so i cld answer you on time, only for you to bail on me. Na wa o

I can't run off, you can count on that. I've been on the road, network going off entirely, just arrived to internet connection now.

And I'm replying every mention.
Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by HardMirror(m): 12:13am On Sep 14, 2018
bloodofthelamb, you are just a cunny person. Saying rubbish and trying to complicate very simple issues. You claim the op was never a christian, i am sure you have not opened the link he provided, go and see his comments. They are proof that he meets the requirement christ provided for those who shall be saved. What is the requirement? BELIEF! That is all just believe in God and christ that is all jesus required from us, but you guys seem to know more than jesus himself you come here saying trash just the way you guys give excuses for a person who is trusting god for healing but does not get healed, you immediately claim he does not have faith, so someone that does not have faith wld be praying in the first place? You guys are just plain dishonest and try complicating simple things to mystify and confuse people into thinking they are inadequate

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by HardMirror(m): 12:14am On Sep 14, 2018
Uchenaija:

I can't run off, you can count on that. I've been on the road, network going off entirely, just arrived to internet connection now.

And I'm replying every mention.
ok. Good, waiting for your reply then
Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by 1Sharon(f): 12:24am On Sep 14, 2018
Martinez19:
For those I forgot to invited
Tozara, HardMirror, 1Sharon, hahn, 0temSapien, segunojo886, and others. The thread has gone a bit far but you can see previous pics to catch up. wink

, December 2016 : evolution in exposure. cool

1) still on morality. cheesy
2) still on morality. grin

Lol you need tolook at my posts from 2011..very cringey

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by Uchenaija: 12:27am On Sep 14, 2018
HardMirror:

Now what makes humans?

You're going through a forest & suddenly you see a beautiful house with every beautiful thing in that house but no one occupying it? Would say that house came by chance?

I've told you my stand. Every creation has a creator, & so the universe cannot come by chance but a creator for me.

Now I want to know your stand? Where did all intelligent creation come from?
Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by HardMirror(m): 12:31am On Sep 14, 2018
Uchenaija:

You're going through a forest & suddenly you see a beautiful house with every beautiful thing in that house but no one occupying it? Would say that house came by chance?

I've told you my stand. Every creation has a creator, & so the universe cannot come by chance but a creator for me.

Now I want to know your stand? Where did all intelligent creation come from?
you are simply repeating what i was saying.... i know that house was built by humans ONLY because it is proven that humans build houses... nothing else,... same reason why i wont assume humans built ant hill, termites do that because it is poven that termites build ant hills. So how do you know god makes humans? Have you seen a god making humans before?
Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by ichuka(m): 12:33am On Sep 14, 2018
HardMirror:
you people keep contradicting yourselves all within a sentence. Has many as received him, he gave them power to become sons of god, right? So if he was born in a christian home and told about christ, which he accepted to be true, what else do you want? All he needs is belief. The bible is very very clear on how to be a believer. Does he believe in christ as the son of god and sacrificw for the salvation of mankind? If yes, that is all. An average church goer already believes that, that is why he goes to church in the first place. Stop trying to complicate very simple matters
Dude you are the one complicating things for yourself.
Nobody born NOT of FLESH,NATURAL DESCENT and of THE WILL OF A MAN. That's born of God can revert his NEW BIRHT RIGHTS.
So ask Him
Is he Born of GOD?
Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by Uchenaija: 12:36am On Sep 14, 2018
HardMirror:
you are simply repeating what i was saying.... i know that house was built by humans ONLY because it is proven that humans build houses... nothing else,... same reason why i wont assume humans built ant hill, termites do that because it is poven that termites build ant hills. So how do you know god makes humans? Have you seen a god making humans before?

Have you seen air before? & still you believe it's existence.

You have still not answered my question

To you where did all intelligent creation come from?
Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by HardMirror(m): 12:41am On Sep 14, 2018
ichuka:

Dude you are the one complicating things for yourself.
Nobody born NOT of FLESH,NATURAL DESCENT and of THE WILL OF A MAN. That's born of God can revert his NEW BIRHT RIGHTS.
So ask Him
Is he Born of GOD?
hear yourself 'born of god'.... god shld give birth to him abi? Salvation is very simple, read John 3:16. For god so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so ever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life'

Shikena, anything else you are saying is rubbish, all you need is belief. All that being born of god is just same as saying being made or reformed by god which is still saying accepting the provision of god which is only possible be believing. So stop trying to sound like you are telling us something complex

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by HardMirror(m): 12:41am On Sep 14, 2018
Uchenaija:

Have you seen air before? & still you believe it's existence.

You have still not answered my question

To you where did all intelligent creation come from?
i dont know. Do you know where they came from?
Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by Uchenaija: 1:03am On Sep 14, 2018
HardMirror:
i dont know. Do you know where they came from?

#copied

"WHEN I thought about the possibility of a Creator, it made me angry to think that someone might have the power to prevent human suffering but was not prepared to use it!” Thus said one former atheist who lost family members in the Holocaust. He was hardly alone in feeling as he did.

When faced with atrocities, many find it difficult to believe in God, or they seek solace in the idea that God does not exist. What are the major factors that cause some not to believe? Would humankind be better off, as some think, without God or religion? Is it possible for an atheist to build faith in a loving Creator?

Religion’s Failure

Ironically, a leading cause of atheism is religion. Historian Alister McGrath explains: “What propels people toward atheism is above all a sense of revulsion against the excesses and failures of organized religion.” Religion is often seen as a factor behind wars and violence. An atheist and philosopher named Michel Onfray muses on how it is possible that the same religious book could inspire two types of men, one “aspiring to saintliness,” the other “carrying out an act of inhuman cruelty”​—terrorism.

Many people have bitter memories of their involvement with religion. During his military service, Bertil, a young Swedish man, heard the army chaplain justifying violence by referring to Jesus’ warning that those who took the sword would perish by the sword. The chaplain reasoned that there must be somebody to wield that sword, so the soldier must be a servant of God!​

Bernadette, whose father was killed in France during the second world war, remembers feeling outraged by the words of the priest at the funeral of her three-year-old cousin: “God has called this child to be an angel.” Bernadette later gave birth to a disabled child, and she received no comfort from the church on that score either.

Ciarán, who grew up against the backdrop of the violence in Northern Ireland, was repulsed by the doctrine of hellfire. He used to declare that he hated any God responsible for such wickedness and challenged God, if He existed, to strike him down. Ciarán is not alone in his revulsion for such harsh church teachings. In fact, church dogma may have helped prepare the way for the theory of evolution. According to Alister McGrath, it was Darwin’s “visceral distaste” for the doctrine of hellfire​—not his belief in evolution—​that raised doubts in his mind about the existence of God. McGrath also notes Darwin’s “deep grief over the death of his daughter.”

For some, the practice of religion is synonymous with mindlessness and fanaticism. Irina, who was disgusted with empty religious sermons and repetitive litanies, relates: “It seemed to me that religious people did not think.” Louis, repelled by the acts of barbarity perpetrated by religious fanatics, took a more radical position: “After showing me its boring face for years, religion now revealed to me its hideous face. I became aggressively opposed to all religion.”

Better Off Without God?

Not surprisingly, then, many people view religion as an obstacle to human progress and peace. Some have even asked themselves if humankind would be better off without God and religion. However, would such a wholesale rejection of religious thinking bring its own problems?

The 18th-century philosopher Voltaire bitterly protested the abuses of the corrupt church of his time. Yet, he considered the existence of a Supreme Being to be fundamental to our moral sense. Later, the German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche famously proclaimed that God is dead, but he was afraid of the moral vacuum and the possible harm that might result from atheistic thinking. Were such fears justified?

Author Keith Ward notes that as mankind entered the modern era, barbarism did not decrease but instead “reached heights never previously imaginable.” Nor have experiments with atheism freed mankind from the failings of human nature, such as corruption and intolerance. These facts have led many thinking people, even atheists, to recognize the moral value of belief in God.

Keith Ward highlights the beneficial influence of belief in God: “Faith adds an insistent moral demand, a responsibility to care for the world that God has created.” Numerous recent studies have indicated that there is an increased level of altruism among the religious. Altruism, in turn, tends to bring on a measure of satisfaction. Such findings reinforce the value of the principle set out by Jesus: “There is more happiness in giving than there is in receiving.”​—Acts 20:35.

One former atheist, a social worker, came to be impressed by the Bible’s ability to influence lives. He said: “Having spent many years, with very limited success, trying to help people change behavior that was damaging to them and others, I found it remarkable to see how dramatically people could change for the better. I also learned that the changes were sustained.”

Nevertheless, as far as some atheists are concerned, belief in God has produced far more massacres and conflicts than goodness and altruism. They may recognize that faith has a good effect on some, but they themselves remain profoundly skeptical. #copied

Does any of this seem like you? Which part? Then I can know how to make you believe in the existence of a creator.
Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by HardMirror(m): 1:24am On Sep 14, 2018
Uchenaija:

Does any of this seem like you? Which part? Then I can know how to make you believe in the existence of a creator.
there is absolutely nothing that links us or life as we know it with a defined creator. So start from there. Who/what is the creator and how do we know it to be true.
Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by Martinez19(m): 3:35am On Sep 14, 2018
budaatum:

You gave me laugh, I got headache. cheesy cheesy

How did you finally see light?
Honesty, critical reasoning and more exposure in life. grin

1 Like

Re: My Nairaland Journey From Christianity To Atheism In Pictures. by Martinez19(m): 3:41am On Sep 14, 2018
Uchenaija:

Your religious foundation is the basis of your problem.

A lot of religions are based on lies. And they can't change it cos they want to save face. And lies would always crumble no matter how it is covered.

When you learn the truth & you'd find out how much the world has been blind folded by religious teaches.

Those who have seen through this religious lies are the ones who have lost all faith in religion.

You don't need religion or any pastor to teach you the truth, the Bible has the truth and you need to find it yourself. It is no mystery & everything you need is in there.

Galileo & many other prominent scholars taught themselves the truth & saw through the lies in most religions.

What you stated in your screenshot is not what the Bible teaches. They're many of such lies found in many religions.

You have based all your religious faith from what you heard from the pulpit or from a religious leader & that is where you got it wrong.

Once you can fix that, then we can actually have a better/same level discussion on this matter.
grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

To: Noetic,huxley,daviddylan,abuzola And Co / How Do You Feel The Presence Of God? / Is The Christian God And The Muslim God One ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.