Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,626 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:09 PM

Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made (49393 Views)

Ahmadu Bello University Newly Proposed School Fees For PG Students (photos) / Meet Agnes Mba, A 9-year-old Ghanaian Girl Who Crawls To School Every Day / NUC Ranks Ahmadu Bello University No 1 In Nigeria (See Full List) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by Naija2mumu(m): 11:58am On Sep 14, 2018
nickmanuel:
I found this write up about ABU MBA online programme misleading. I am also a student of ABU studying my MBA through this online programme, Lagos center to be precise. I don't remember paying up to 800k as claimed. The total amount I paid for the programme is under 550k with my learning device inclusive. I'm a pioneer member of this first online MBA programme by any Nigeria higher institution. Being the first institution to have started an online MBA programme in Nigeria, I really did not expect 100% perfection but I can rate this programme so far well over 80%. The goodnews is that ABU keeps improving on this programme and we could see improvement in each semester. By the grace of God, I am writing my final project hoping to graduate this coming November.
The major reason why some of my colleagues have been complaining bitterly against this programme was when the school changed the examination method from 100% CBT to include theory which didn't go down well with some of my colleagues. Of course, the school clearly explained to every student that it was a directive from NUC not ABU. For this reason, some students pulled out from this programme thus they have been complaining.
Additional payment was meant for students with carry over in one course or the other and late registration I believe attracts some certain fine but this was not general but for the affected students only.

To the complainer, please let us not over exaggerate issues and put up a write up that will only build and not destroy great work. For your information, because ABU has successfully pioneered this programme, other schools in Nigeria are starting up their online MBA programmes shortly.
You created this moniker to clear the air. grin

grin
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by patakioy(m): 12:27pm On Sep 14, 2018
Try and read to understand before replying. The pioneer set where used as a trap to lure folks into the program. Be in tune with reality by asking questions from sets behind you. That's the problem we have in this country, just because you are fine does not mean others are not bleeding. What the OP wrote is 100% true

nickmanuel:
I found this write up about ABU MBA online programme misleading. I am also a student of ABU studying my MBA through this online programme, Lagos center to be precise. I don't remember paying up to 800k as claimed. The total amount I paid for the programme is under 550k with my learning device inclusive. I'm a pioneer member of this first online MBA programme by any Nigeria higher institution. Being the first institution to have started an online MBA programme in Nigeria, I really did not expect 100% perfection but I can rate this programme so far well over 80%. The goodnews is that ABU keeps improving on this programme and we could see improvement in each semester. By the grace of God, I am writing my final project hoping to graduate this coming November.
The major reason why some of my colleagues have been complaining bitterly against this programme was when the school changed the examination method from 100% CBT to include theory which didn't go down well with some of my colleagues. Of course, the school clearly explained to every student that it was a directive from NUC not ABU. For this reason, some students pulled out from this programme thus they have been complaining.
Additional payment was meant for students with carry over in one course or the other and late registration I believe attracts some certain fine but this was not general but for the affected students only.

To the complainer, please let us not over exaggerate issues and put up a write up that will only build and not destroy great work. For your information, because ABU has successfully pioneered this programme, other schools in Nigeria are starting up their online MBA programmes shortly.

4 Likes

Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by perfectgen(m): 12:33pm On Sep 14, 2018
nickmanuel:

Thank you for your clarity but like some people who responded before you, you missed my point. I planned paying maximum 600k like you too, and will have had no complaints like you if I paid 435k in addition to having a pad.
Unfortunately, I am in the set after you and didn't know I will be paying more than double what you paid, hence my regret.
You made mention of carry overs as being why fees are high; I am presently a distinction student; meaning my cumulative gpa is above 4.5 and I have no carryover. My complaint is borne out of a reflection of what I thought I was getting into, what I met when I resumed and what we have as of now.
Thank you

4 Likes

Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by Emeldyn(f): 12:49pm On Sep 14, 2018
To think I just registered for this program is heartbreaking. I am totally confused.

1 Like

Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by Vigorousguy(m): 1:34pm On Sep 14, 2018
Emeldyn:
To think I just registered for this program is heartbreaking. I am totally confused.
LOL am just here reading comments. I just finished paying 188k for foundation courses. We were told foundation courses were 10k when I got there I was told it's now 20k. Imagine I have not started and am having double mind.
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by Oluqueen: 1:39pm On Sep 14, 2018
University of South Wales MBA via UNICAF is good with flexible payment. Currently enrolled and I can say so far so good.
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by Ilijee(m): 1:40pm On Sep 14, 2018
Guys,
One man food is another man's poison. it's unethical to take it this far. The program structure or whatever we had experience in it is to help better our individual expectations in life. We need to learn how to manage situations and that's what make the difference.

I'm running the program too, I've had challenges and came out stronger making me better for future challenges. I will beat my chest and tell everyone out there that I had masters from ABU and not one online 3 days program or buying certificates just to earn cheap recognitions but fail in face of reality.

I'm a pioneer student and still tell you that every semester has improvement over the previous ones. And it can only get better with positive criticism and not this type.

2 Likes

Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by abbiboy: 1:48pm On Sep 14, 2018
perfectgen:
When in early 2017, a friend brought to my notice a first of its kind online MBA program here in Nigeria, I couldn't really believe him but when he opened the appealing advert of the ABU Online MBA, I got immediately interested as I had been looking forward to obtaining a MBA.

I fully researched the program and everything looked perfect; I checked the course structure, delivery, fees and observed it was something I could do in my spare time, while still working.

In terms of structure, it was slightly self-paced but I was expected to pick up materials and prepare for exams; which I learnt were mainly computer-based tests at that time. On the issue of delivery, I learnt that there was an e-learning suite to deploy most of the course and I was going to be assigned an e-tutor for all courses I was to take; this I learnt should be about 24 in all. On fees, I learnt the current students were then paying less than 500 thousand naira overall hence reasonably affordable for me.

Fast forward to May, 2017, I encouraged three other friends and colleagues to start the program and as we were about to register, we observed a change in fee structure; instead of the normal bulk fee, we were now to pay 10 thousand naira for electives and 20 thousand naira for core courses. This naturally increased the expected fees but in my gullibility, I felt i could still manage to afford it.

To my amazement, midway into the first semester, there was a change in the delivery structure, while some courses had committed e-tutors who were available to explain whatsoever challenges we had with the courses, some e-tutors were just non-existent. Another issue is the review of the examination twice within one semester; we learnt on NUC's insistence, the course had to be 50% theoretical paper/50% Computer based tests but later changed it to 30% assignments/30% Computer based tests/40% theoretical papers.

In my typical perseverance, I adapted and continued with the program but observed midway that instead of the initial 24 courses being planned for, the courses had changed to about 30 in all.

By the next semester, all fees were changed to a flat 20 thousand naira. I was already in the middle of the river and having no choice, I continued with the program. Then came increment of offered courses to about 36 before finishing the program with all additional courses estimated at 20,000 naira per course. The painful part was that these courses were more or less repetitions; a course was sometimes divided into three parts just to ensure that instead of us paying 20,000, we get to pay 60,000.

Just after complaining of the increasing fees and reduction in the quality of the programme, slight adjustments were made; this was insufficient in my dousing my increasing regrets for starting the program. Surprisingly, the university, introduced what they termed late registration fees; this was supposed to be added fees for registering late even though you will not be allowed access to the platform nor educational materials until you make payment. We could do nothing about it as all complaints were either not attended to or brought with it, further problems.
As if that was not enough, very close to exams, I observed additional 10,000 naira on the fee retinue; this was tagged examination fees. I felt the essence of our paying the 20,000 naira was to ensure everything relating to the individual courses was captured hence why add a fee that we were not told of at the beginning of the program and just when we were preparing for exams; when it was already confirmed that we have already made payment for the semester.

I became frustrated, and felt like just dropping out; having seen three of my colleagues drop out due to increasing fees. Coping financially was becoming hard for me and continuing with the program was becoming suffocating.

I forced myself to continue the course; being someone who hardly gives up, but on entering into the fourth semester discovered that there were now new split courses which were illogical. We had courses like Seminar, Project 1, Project 2, internship etc. which were not going to be taught but we still had to pay for; we complained and expected palliative measures only to wake up and hear that the course delivery has been changed to single delivery which implies that the flexibility of the program was more or less gone and with it came the realization that the core focus of an MBA; practical orientation and fundamental understanding of key concepts was no more assured.
I computed everything I have paid for a programme that I have little or no say in and observed I am just a little bit short of 800 thousand naira yet I still have one full semester to go that I still have to pay for. I have to admit that I have been hoodwinked into thinking the ABU online MBA can give me what other international online MBAs could have given me; though the fees are fast getting similar. I seem to be in a one-chance vehicle but not knowing if its is sane for me to jump down. I woke up this morning to see that another 20,000 naira has been added to the fee retinue for transcript or something like that I can't remember applying nor planning to apply for.

I really need help before this financial pressure frustrate me into leaving this programme with the huge amount i have spent; maybe, like a colleague said, i should have used the money in buying a land in Kubwa and wait for it to appreciate because even with the MBA, there is no assurance of pay increase at work, new opportunities nor a profitable return on investment.

Please save my soul!!!
My dear certificate doesn't sell again,there are numerous biznes or better still tie it down on safe security investment, I just laff when I see Nigerians acquiring certification upon certification, for me the only certification I know is investment evry other theory base certification is a poo for me...
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by profunen(m): 2:07pm On Sep 14, 2018
Dear Poster, While you have a right to air your opinions, I find this your post very misleading and very unfortunate. I am a pioneer student of this programme and I can categorically say, though it has not been easy, it has been worth it.
The funny thing is that a lot of people talking foreign schools do not know what it takes to run these online courses, you guys forget the exchange rate fluctuations, time differentials, hidden charges, you forget how much it will cost you but because it is Nigerian, we must term it a failure. I have faced my challenges with this programme too, we all have but that doesn't call for these destructive criticism. This is the first online MBA in Nigeria and we should applaud ABU for the efforts too.
We all agree that Nothing is yet perfect but it takes a step to climb to the top. I've tried an online masters in Cyprus but I dropped out too, I didn't go to write about them on Nairaland. School is not for everyone. It's not a guarantee to success and if you can't deal, then drop out and let some of us do our best to get our certificate. ABU has been cleared by NUC to run this programme because they believe it can work and there are rooms for improvement. So let's figure out ways to get your complaints channeled through the appropriate quarters. If Online was easy, every school would have attempted it. Most people went to the director to complain we don't want 6th semester, something was done about it and so that means they are still figuring out ways to improve the programme. There is what we call constructive and destructive criticism, Are we all affected by the problems we encounter in the course of this programme? Yes but can we surmount it? Absolutely. This programme has undergone several changes and improvements. While it is not yet as perfect as we want it to be. We should appreciate the efforts.

Unilag will charge you for part time and make you do full time.They don't care and if you don't attend lectures. You are on your own.
We should speak about good e-tutors that have been diligent too. There are positives from this programme. We have established connections with people. We have learnt a lot from the programme. These are the benefits of this programme. Some of us have two semesters to go because we persevered. If you have any issues, you can even request to see the director and not come to social media to destroy the efforts of so many.

Contact me if you need any assistance during the programme. Cheers.

7 Likes

Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by Emeldyn(f): 3:16pm On Sep 14, 2018
Yes oh. I'm a regular student so did not take the foundation courses. We hope for the best.

Vigorousguy:
LOL am just here reading comments. I just finished paying 188k for foundation courses. We were told foundation courses were 10k when I got there I was told it's now 20k. Imagine I have not started and am having double mind.
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by Trecixnine(m): 4:59pm On Sep 14, 2018
DaddyNimo:

money wey u for use do Canada EE, u waste am wan do MBA for useless Nigerian university.... SMH

Correct!
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by Beblessedbaba: 6:19pm On Sep 14, 2018
A potential is spotted..if you know you know...

uote author=MrTed post=71173077]I understand your pain Bro. If interested, I'll introduce you to a University in Europe accredited and internationally recognized that has online courses that I'm doing my MBA PRESENTLY AS I SPEAK , AND IT'S FEES IS LESS THAN 900K THAT YOU CAN COMFORTABLY PAY IN INSTALLMENTS AND AND YOU'LL GRADUATE AS AT WHEN DUE. INBOX is ME FOR DETAILS OF HOW TO GO ABOUT IT AND I'LL GUIDE YOU[/quote]
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by Beblessedbaba: 6:35pm On Sep 14, 2018
OP... For your good. You can log a complaint using the Facebook group chat with the Director scheduled for weekend. However, for your own good, ( Nigeria is a country with the highest next ranking after Hell fire with association of Nigerian lecturers as active citizens) use a pseudo account to log your complaint else we will further frustrate your graduation.

quote author=onaf post=71188794][color=#000099]It is important to add my opinion to the comment on ABU online MBA ,that is not a scam.

I am one of the pioneer students,already in the last examinable semester scheduled for Dec 2018 .
I joined the MBA programme in October 2016.The school fees for pioneer student was #350,000 with addition of media pad and other fee ,which bring it to a total of #435,000.Yes this fee was essentially for promo,just to attract student.

The fact that it is a online MBA that does not require physical class activity was a major attraction for me.ABU DLC has lived up to my expectation in the following areas.

1.Online course registration ,allocation of Etutor and whattsapp weekly interaction with other student.

2.Submission of assignment,group work and online interactive forum.

3.Regular interaction with the programme Director at the beginning of each semester; this actually started in 2017.

4.General online /WhatsApp interaction with other student,which give us the opportunity to table our complains to the management of the school.I can tell you we have appointed representative that table unresolved issue and challenges faced by fellow student to the programme Coordinator.

5.Course material are freely downloaded on the LMS for easy access by the student.You don't need to buy any course material except you new the hard copy of the lecture material.

6.Examination now both theory and CBT although this was not the original plan.We started with just 60% CBT and 40% CA,but we understand how NUC stopped this.

On the issue of fee increase this is true for new intake I believe from 2017.Now student pay per courses taken for each semester.

But it important to note that the management of ABU DLC has continue to evolve and bring about continuous improvement in service delivery .OPs I encourage you to write directly to the Director on some of the issues you have raised .

You can also take advantage of this Saturday 15th September Facebook interaction with him.I also encourage you to organise your colleague in the sane batch and arrange a physical meeting with the management team.I am convince you get positive result.

To the management ABU DLC ,I know you want to make drastic changes in the courses module but you have a regulator NUC.
I suggest two or more similar course should be merged into one in order to reduce the no of course and amount being paid by current MBA students.

It is also important that low performing ETutor should be wield out to bring about credibility and quality service delivery to the student ,who are the major stakeholder.

It is important to state that online programme in Nigeria has come to stay.The fees may be high now,but I believe once other top class Nigeria university come into the market.Then competition will bring down the cost and quality of service delivery will be enhanced.

I am proud to be associated with ABU Online MBA and will recommend it to other.

Thank you.[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by Iamzik: 7:04pm On Sep 14, 2018
nickmanuel:

Oga park well joor.
You paid 550k and got a tab

One session later people are made to pay a fee structure of about 900k without a tab and you said they shouldn't complain?

Are you for real?

4 Likes

Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by Iamzik: 7:08pm On Sep 14, 2018
Vigorousguy:

It was 117k 6 months ago.
The increase is arbitrary

I hope you wont pay 30k per course before you graduate. I really hope so
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by Iamzik: 7:08pm On Sep 14, 2018
Vigorousguy:

It was 117k 6 months ago.
The increase is arbitrary

At this rate I hope you wont pay 30k per course before you graduate. I really hope so

1 Like

Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by KechBee: 8:14pm On Sep 14, 2018
perfectgen:

Wow, glad to hear that you are done. I didn't know that there is any group that has finished; I thought the first batch of the online MBA are going to finish December. Please, how much did you pay in all because the fees is really a point of concern to me. I budgeted 600k and now almost at 800k yet still have one full semester to go with little say on the frequent additional fees popping up..

My calculation never reach 800k oòoo...it's about 620k excluding next semester pay.....I'll get to 750k or 800k by next semester....in all, it's less than 1million sha....
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by olulogbemileke: 8:49pm On Sep 14, 2018
Your explanation of plagiarism only shows your limited knowledge of it. According to you, "Plagiarism is stealing and publishing someone's publication" but you forgot to add that "without reference to the source". Next time, consult the dictionary for global definition and not self-satisfying one.

To plagiarize also means to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own
or to use (another's production) without crediting the source
or to commit literary theft and to present as new and original an idea or product derived from an existing source (https://www.plagiarism.org/article/what-is-plagiarism)

In other words, plagiarism is an act of fraud. It involves both stealing someone else's work and lying about it afterwards.
The ABU MBA handouts qualify for all the above definitions. Waiting for your response.
adanny01:

Your red paragraph is out of order.

Plagiarism is stealing and publishing someone's publication.

What is taught in class is not plagiarism nor what is captured in a curriculum. A school curriculum is not a publication so doesnot qualify to be plagiarism.

Schools do not teach only their own research while most textbooks are not individual researches.

You obviously need to know what is really taught in schools, no offense intended.
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by Jaqenhghar: 8:52pm On Sep 14, 2018
dadabashua1:
hahahahahaha
No be small thing. I thank God sha

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by adanny01(m): 8:56pm On Sep 14, 2018
olulogbemileke:
Your explanation of plagiarism only shows your limited knowledge of it. According to you, "Plagiarism is stealing and publishing someone's publication" but you forgot to add that "without reference to the source"

To plagiarize also means to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own
or to use (another's production) without crediting the source
or to commit literary theft and to present as new and original an idea or product derived from an existing source (https://www.plagiarism.org/article/what-is-plagiarism)

In other words, plagiarism is an act of fraud. It involves both stealing someone else's work and lying about it afterwards.
The ABU MBA handouts qualify for all the above definitions. Waiting for your response.

Before the "ABU MBA handouts qualify to be plagiarism, the handouts has to be published?

What i said was steal and publish. You said steel and pass off Whats the difference between publish and pass off in this context. How does one "Pass off" someone else's work as his own if its not published?

Who is the publisher for the "ABU MBA Handouts"?
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by olulogbemileke: 9:02pm On Sep 14, 2018
Where are you getting all these your idea and definition from??
adanny01:

Before the "ABU MBA handouts qualify to be plagiarism, the handouts has to be published?

Who is the publisher for the "ABU MBA Handouts"?
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by adanny01(m): 9:21pm On Sep 14, 2018
olulogbemileke:
Where are you getting all these your idea and definition from??

I updated my post fyi.

However, its a fact, you cannot sue for plagiarism if the work in contention has not been published.
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by patakioy(m): 10:03pm On Sep 14, 2018
It's just annoying the way the pioneer student keep writing without really understanding what's on ground. The OP wrote nothing but the truth, the fact that the pioneering student fees were reasonable doesn't mean others got that lucky. You should read the post well before writing I'm a pioneering student gibberish. You can tolerate some nonsense and still praise them does not mean others should keep quiet �.

profunen:
Dear Poster, While you have a right to air your opinions, I find this your post very misleading and very unfortunate. I am a pioneer student of this programme and I can categorically say, though it has not been easy, it has been worth it.
The funny thing is that a lot of people talking foreign schools do not know what it takes to run these online courses, you guys forget the exchange rate fluctuations, time differentials, hidden charges, you forget how much it will cost you but because it is Nigerian, we must term it a failure. I have faced my challenges with this programme too, we all have but that doesn't call for these destructive criticism. This is the first online MBA in Nigeria and we should applaud ABU for the efforts too.
We all agree that Nothing is yet perfect but it takes a step to climb to the top. I've tried an online masters in Cyprus but I dropped out too, I didn't go to write about them on Nairaland. School is not for everyone. It's not a guarantee to success and if you can't deal, then drop out and let some of us do our best to get our certificate. ABU has been cleared by NUC to run this programme because they believe it can work and there are rooms for improvement. So let's figure out ways to get your complaints channeled through the appropriate quarters. If Online was easy, every school would have attempted it. Most people went to the director to complain we don't want 6th semester, something was done about it and so that means they are still figuring out ways to improve the programme. There is what we call constructive and destructive criticism, Are we all affected by the problems we encounter in the course of this programme? Yes but can we surmount it? Absolutely. This programme has undergone several changes and improvements. While it is not yet as perfect as we want it to be. We should appreciate the efforts.

Unilag will charge you for part time and make you do full time.They don't care and if you don't attend lectures. You are on your own.
We should speak about good e-tutors that have been diligent too. There are positives from this programme. We have established connections with people. We have learnt a lot from the programme. These are the benefits of this programme. Some of us have two semesters to go because we persevered. If you have any issues, you can even request to see the director and not come to social media to destroy the efforts of so many.

Contact me if you need any assistance during the programme. Cheers.

5 Likes

Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by patakioy(m): 10:05pm On Sep 14, 2018
No mind this I'm a pioneering student gang thinking like a robot. Because they were not affected means it doesn't exist. Very annoying.

Iamzik:

Oga park well joor.
You paid 550k and got a tab

One session later people are made to pay a fee structure of about 900k without a tab and you said they shouldn't complain?

Are you for real?

2 Likes

Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by Nobody: 10:43pm On Sep 14, 2018
OK
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by kalipso(m): 11:59am On Sep 15, 2018
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by duduade: 1:06pm On Sep 15, 2018
MrTed:
I understand your pain Bro. If interested, I'll introduce you to a University in Europe accredited and internationally recognized that has online courses that I'm doing my MBA PRESENTLY AS I SPEAK , AND IT'S FEES IS LESS THAN 900K THAT YOU CAN COMFORTABLY PAY IN INSTALLMENTS AND AND YOU'LL GRADUATE AS AT WHEN DUE. INBOX is ME FOR DETAILS OF HOW TO GO ABOUT IT AND I'LL GUIDE YOU

Guide us all here
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by ojelade19(m): 2:36pm On Sep 16, 2018
Read this on the highway and my first thought was the need to address this malicious post by putting the untrue claims in the right perspectives.

Also is the likelihood that the student with this claim might have heard an easy/non tasking first degree making this MBA rather demanding on his/her intellectual/research capabilities.

: It also struck me that it could the MBA Student that does not participate in DISCUSSION FORUMS, LIVE FACEBOOK VIDEOS BY DIRECTORS & COORDINATORS, WHATSAPP SCHOOL REPRESENTATIVES COUNSELLING, GROUP ASSIGNMENTS and other active media the ABU MBA program coordinators deploy and use to support us the students.

Don't get me wrong as am also guilty of not participating in all the above listed activities but I realised that when am stuck and I contact fellow students who are very active through all these provided channels by the ABU TEAM, such student help by giving me the right and updated information that I might have missed out on.

All these media were communicated at inception as necessary for us to use in order to have a smooth MBA program. So why should a student drop all the blame on the schools table.
Regarding the school not responding to complaints, THIS IS FALSE when you make your complaint to and through the right channel, these channels some students do not know, hence wrongfully held the believe that ABU doesn't respond.

Certain students after 3 semesters still ask in the ABU WHATSAP group that what us director's email, coordinator phone number, support emails and so on.

This is a fiction to justify your inability to cope with the intellectual demand of the programme which increased as we proceeded with the program which is likely because you attended a likely low standard of University for your degree.

2ndly student with VICTIM MENTALITY like you likely might not have read through the course structures & program T & Cs from inception as to have understood that there might be modifications to make the programme more reliable and valid for the certificate to be awarded.

You are CORRECT about fees for courses changing to 20k each depending on courses you want to do per semester, its however not new as it is the flexibility that was mentioned from inception and same is done in ICAN, CIPM CIMA and many professional bodies and international institutions. With flexibility however comes a premium.

Concerning all these fees you mentioned, you intentionally miss-presented and twisted the facts to justify your intention of badmouthing and discrediting the programme which deep thinking individuals would know quickly after reading three paragraphs of your write up. Some of the fees are not even mandatory as they were based on requests of students requesting TRANSCRIPT as an example.

The programme demands are similar to that obtainable internationally but the cost is still far below.
You want to be spoon feed but the program seem not to do just that is the basis for your malicious post about ABU.

Am student too and the program genuinely has need for improvement just like any other system or Organization.
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by Flintstone06(m): 8:58am On Sep 17, 2018
perfectgen:

Wow, glad to hear that you are done. I didn't know that there is any group that has finished; I thought the first batch of the online MBA are going to finish December. Please, how much did you pay in all because the fees is really a point of concern to me. I budgeted 600k and now almost at 800k yet still have one full semester to go with little say on the frequent additional fees popping up..

I will finish this November. I have spent roughly 600k. Am sorry about it tho.
Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by ABUDLC: 9:19am On Sep 17, 2018
The Ahmadu Bello University Distance Learning Centre was primarily established to improve access to degree programmes offered by Ahmadu Bello University.

Our attention was brought to the statement of a possible student posted on the Nairaland platform on Thursday, September 13, 2018 and below are our responses to the issues raised.

Course and Fee Structures

We operate a pay-per-course structure with no huge upfront cost, making the MBA programme more accessible. Foundation courses (prerequisite courses) to be taken by MBA Special students cost ₦10,000 each while core/elective courses cost ₦20,000 each.

The cost of the foundation courses was reviewed upwards in August 2018 to ₦20,000 and that new fee only applies to the 2017/2018 MBA Batch B students.
Since the programme operates a pay-per-course structure, you can only have access to courses paid for. Due to the flexible nature of our programme, it became imperative to put certain structures in place to curb abuse such as late course registration or, in some cases, no course registration, all of which disrupt the academic calendar and allocation of e-tutors.

There is a deadline for course registration, and failure to do so within the stipulated time attracts a penalty of ₦10,000. Only students who did not register courses within the allocated course registration period and wish to register courses in the late registration window are required to pay the penalty.

The course structure, as well as fee structure for 2016/2017 Batch A (the first batch of students) is different from subsequent batches. The first batch of applicants paid a bulk sum which could either be paid in full or paid in 2 instalments. The course structure for the first batch for graduates of business administration was 4 semesters (MBA Regular students), while it was 6 semesters for non-graduates of business administration (MBA Special students).

These batches (2016/2017 Batch B, 2017/2018 Batch A and 2017/2018 Batch B) have the same course structure which is 4 semesters for MBA Regular and 5 semesters for MBA special. Students should refer to the course structure given at the point of screening as no additional courses have been added. It is also important to note that Projects 1&2, seminar and internship have always been on the course structure.

The transcript fee is an optional fee for students who wish to process their transcript. It is clearly indicated on the portal as an optional fee and thus no one was mandated to pay for it except they want to process their transcript.

Duplicate/Split Courses

All Postgraduate programmes, the MBA inclusive are covered under the National Universities Commission BMAS for compliance by institutions. Ahmadu Bello University did not nor do we have the powers to split any course. The ABU Distance Learning Centre is part of a public university and we are duty bound to comply with regulations of the NUC.

Non-engagement of tutors

Tutors/lecturers participation in facilitation is largely a function of their personalities. As with on campus programmes, some lecturers are liberal while some are strict, some are friendly while some are not, some are compliant with all regulations while some are not.

The bulk of our tutors are derived from the relevant departments in the university and the diversity in their online response is to be expected. You may recall that due to reports by students as well as online questionnaire outcomes, we have so far disengaged 26 tutors from the programme. This is an ongoing activity to ensure that tutors unable to cope with the requirements of online facilitation are disengaged from the system. As such, we encourage students to provide constant feedback via the relevant and approved channels so necessary action ca be taken.

Plagiarism

On the issue of plagiarism, our online programmes are individually accredited by the NUC and as such, all content passes through the regulatory body for approval before the accreditation is granted. The use of existing information where the source has been acknowledged and possibly even registered as an open educational resource is not only permissible but encouraged. Institutions are required to acknowledge where such is the case. The use of Open Education Resources is thus not offensive or in any way a compromise of an institution’s integrity.

In Nigeria, the National Open University has licensed all its Courseware as Open Education Resources, any institution or individual that finds it useful is permitted to adapt, improve or reuse such material. This is the current trend in education –there is no point expending energy to reinvent the wheel!

In conclusion, we remain committed to our mission of improving the access to degree programmes and providing quality and timely support in the process. We encourage current and prospective students to continue to take advantage of our support team by reaching out to us via email support@abudlc.edu.ng, or telephone 07030215847,
08080523171, 017000911, 017000890 or WhatsApp 09087091959

1 Like

Re: Ahmadu Bello University Online MBA; A Mistake I Wish I Never Made by prettyeyo: 10:40am On Oct 15, 2018
MrTed:
I understand your pain Bro. If interested, I'll introduce you to a University in Europe accredited and internationally recognized that has online courses that I'm doing my MBA PRESENTLY AS I SPEAK , AND IT'S FEES IS LESS THAN 900K THAT YOU CAN COMFORTABLY PAY IN INSTALLMENTS AND AND YOU'LL GRADUATE AS AT WHEN DUE. INBOX is ME FOR DETAILS OF HOW TO GO ABOUT IT AND I'LL GUIDE YOU

Please i am interested in checking out the school , please can you give me more info. Thank you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How To Retrieve A Lost NECO Reg. Number / DIRECT ENTRY 2016/2017 LASU( Lagos State University) / Aker Nguyilan: Jambite Dies In Car Accident While Travelling To Write JAMB Exams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.