Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,720 members, 7,816,965 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:29 PM

Is It Necessary To Spank Children? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Necessary To Spank Children? (4216 Views)

Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? / What Age Is Appropriate To Spank Your Child / Is It Necessary To Teach Babies To Sit? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Datope(f): 3:16pm On Apr 05, 2007
S
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by 2dye4(m): 3:57pm On Apr 05, 2007
i watched Super Nanny once and damn! i was so furious cos these kids were so insolent and destructive.the nanny lady put them thru various punishments and assignments but trust me, there's a spirit in children that only spankin can drive out. i will glady deploy it when necessary grin
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Gamine(f): 4:03pm On Apr 05, 2007
i watch supananny
and most tyms i do feel like gettin into the TV to spank some of them kids!!
so stubborn!!

Spanking shld be given at the ryt time, place and situation
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by breeolan(f): 7:17pm On Apr 05, 2007
spanking isnt mos def d way to discipline a child, its just that in dis our part of the world, kids over here are more hardened dan kids there, are u telling me dat u will seize d child's garri, cos if dats d only thing he has priviledges to, will make him sober,

i dont like been beaten or spanked cos i hate d color i turn when dis happen, and most times wen am reprimanded, i feel so angry, especially wen its nt neccesary

conclusion, a lil bit of evrythg will do, talk, scolding, spanking, and if its deserved, beating, if all fails only
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Seun(m): 1:23am On Apr 06, 2007
When i returned later in the day; my welcome note was "mummy, I went to so so and so house" "oya, come and beat me" What will you do in this scenario.
That is a sign that you have been beating her too frequently. It is now like food to her. If I find myself in that situation, that will be the last time I'll raise my hands to beat her. Instead, I'll ask, "why did you go?" and listen.
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by skipo87(m): 2:38pm On Apr 06, 2007
i was almost never spanked by either of my parents. The only time i got spanked which was once in my life, i did worse than what i was spanked for. other times when i did wrong, my mum wud talk to me just like she couldn't beat me. she always kept putting her trus in me and that made me me. she always said gentle words like be a "good boy" "dont be naughty" "i trust you wouldn't do such again" and several others of them. Because of this and seeing the way i turned out i don't think spanking is the best. i think dialogue is best[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by oyinboaja: 10:52am On Apr 07, 2007
All the older oyinbo people wey I dey talk to dey tell me saydem own parents spank them and dem no die. The children of the present generation wey nobody dey fit discipline or spank come dey very violent.

Spanking has no correlation with the child turning to violence.
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Seun(m): 6:49pm On Apr 07, 2007
Spanking has no correlation with the child turning to violence.
Supposing it is true that beating a child every day with koboko has a weak correlation with violence, does that mean that it is right? Having said that, please show me the scientific study that supports your position.

Beating a child undoubtedly makes the child think that beating is ok. When the child grows up, she will also want to beat her own children. When her husband beats her, she may think it's ok. A few people might react in a different way - by vowing never to beat their children. However, that usually fails because they are not aware of other methods of disciplining their children. Their spouses will compensate by beating the children more!

However, in todays Nigeria, not beating your child is not enough to prevent her from thinking that beating is ok. Her schoolteachers will beat her for you! I was beaten a lot at International Secondary School Ifako: at least 3 times a week for latecoming and 1-2 times a week when the entire class was punished for noisemaking.
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by jiggo(m): 9:07pm On Apr 08, 2007
also, av u heard that
Stubborness is in d heart of a child, only d rod of correction will drive it out
shocked grin
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Ayeisha(f): 7:33pm On Apr 09, 2007
Now I believe that if a parent ever feels the need to beat a child because of his or her actions, then this parent should reallly look within his or herself and figure out if the childs actions were not learned through them the parents. Because, I was born and raised here in America where I have seen some outrageous performances in public between mother and child. I've seen a mother drape up her child by his collar and scream in his face, " I'm gon' f*ck you up when we get home!" I was like WHAT? Who does she expect him to ne when he grows up? If you come to this country and just observe these so called parents, some of them will explain to you why there are so many wayward black teens who grow up to be wayward adults who just repeat the cycle of horrible child rearing and train young black men for the prison system here in the U.S.

My parents may have beat me at home when I did something wrong after they told me over and over again not too. If I talked back, I got whacked. But my parents at least tried to set some kind of positive example and has instilled alot of very good values in me. In the islands it is common place to spank the children when they don't listen and that's just what I got. But my parents never belittled me to the point where I would feel inadequate as an adult.

I don't have any children yet so I guess it's easy to say I will not resort to corporal punishment but sometimes, children can do a good job at testing your patience. I've babysat before so I know. But I do believe that you should not have to scream or yell at a child for them to do what you say. Because when you start yelling at them, they dont respond when you talk to them, and when you start beating them, they dont respond to talks or punishment. Lets not train our children to be circus animals that only respond to the whip!

Like others have said in previous comments, explain things to them as though they are adults since we are in fact preparing them to be succesful and mature adults who will one day be parents as well. smiley
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by nossycheek(f): 2:14pm On Apr 11, 2007
Spoil the rod and spare the child
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by kellorah: 4:08pm On Apr 12, 2007
y nt??
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by choongtin(f): 4:38pm On Apr 12, 2007
depends on the situation
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by bluehorizo(m): 8:51pm On Apr 26, 2008
@topic

Funny grin grin grin
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Apr 26, 2008
@topic

i dont believe in sparing d rod and spoiling d child,atleast their asses should be spanked once in a while
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by TheSly: 9:25pm On Apr 26, 2008
You can only try that in Nigeria though. . .
Try it up here. . . You stand the chance of going to Jail.
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by LadyT(f): 9:36pm On Apr 26, 2008
Nothing wrong with giving a child a good smacking.

It should be made clear to the child to behave if they dont listen beat the hell out of them.

Children nowadays are disgusting so rude and spoilt.

Forget any stupid law the only law in my household is LadyT and Mr T's law. The child should obey or face punishment. Taking away treats, giving lectures all work but sometimes a smack across the backside works too! angry
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Apr 26, 2008
Spanking is necessary at times, but I can't bring myself to spank my child, maybe the daddy would do that. undecided
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Nobody: 9:57pm On Apr 26, 2008
Spanking is necessary at times, but I can't bring myself to spank my child, maybe the daddy would do that.

i can help u grin grin grin grin
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Apr 26, 2008
Lol grin, I don't think my mother would let you beat her to that cheesy grin
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Nobody: 10:14pm On Apr 26, 2008
Lol grin, I don't think my mother would let you beat her to that cheesy grin

LMAO
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by rasputinn(m): 5:08pm On Apr 27, 2008
Spare the rod and spoil the child
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by rasputinn(m): 5:13pm On Apr 27, 2008
Very necessary when necessary
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by bigfather(m): 5:54pm On Apr 27, 2008
The Sly:

You can only try that in Nigeria though. . .
Try it up here. . . You stand the chance of going to Jail.
That is why most 40% of the children are spoilt. Imagine a child telling the father " DON'T BE STUPID DAD "
This the more reason why i encourage my child to grow to a reasonable age here in Nigeria to learn the culture of respect before she travels there.
rasputinn:

Very necessary when necessary
All correct sir !
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by LadyT(f): 5:59pm On Apr 27, 2008
Big Father you are wrong 80% of the children I know that came from Nigeria to live here in the UK are awful. All the instruction given to them is lost they become wild animals.

People are shocked when me and my brothers tell them we never schooled or lived in Nigeria.

Its your child you control him or her. No matter where you live if you have taught your child well they will always remember the child of whom they are and they wont disrespect you by misbehaving!
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Apr 27, 2008
Its your child you control him or her. No matter where you live if you have taught your child well they will always remember the child of whom they are and they wont disrespect you by misbehaving!

That's true!!!!!
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by bigfather(m): 6:14pm On Apr 27, 2008
Am sure if you watch SUPER NANNY , you will understand what i mean. And more over am not really talking about kids from nigeria.
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by TheSly: 6:24pm On Apr 27, 2008
That is why most 40% of the children are spoilt. Imagine a child telling the father " DON'T BE STUPID DAD "
This the more reason why i encourage my child to grow to a reasonable age here in Nigeria to learn the culture of respect before she travels there
You are right but i aint raising my kids in Nigeria.
Not all kids raised in the west are spoilt . . .don't get it twisted.

I love Nigerians when it comes to sweet words!! sweet sweet sweet!!!

If u really Wanna spank 'em. . . .Then u gotta do it like my poppas friend. . .
Take 'em to Nigeria for holidays and spank the hell out of em. . . .with that you have no problem.

But in the west. . .what i am tryin to say is that The law doesn't give a 10 about who the parents are. . .
I have heard of many Nigerians being sentenced to Jail up here because of this. . . .sum got 4. . .5yrs and so on. . .
Some even went to the extent of using pepper to punish their kids. . . .at the end . .he got about 6yrs. . . .
They don't care in the west! You just have to be careful about it. . . i believe there are still many ways to punish your kids without spanking them.
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Tonim(f): 6:27pm On Apr 27, 2008
The Sly:

You are right but i aint raising my kids in Nigeria.

Sly, why won't you raise your kids in Nigeria ? Someone said the same thing to me weeks ago. What are your reasons ?
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by TheSly: 6:44pm On Apr 27, 2008
Tonim:

Sly, why won't you raise your kids in Nigeria ? Someone said the same thing to me weeks ago. What are your reasons ?
because i want them to have the best of education.
You can't compare the educational system in Nigeria to the west. . . .The difference is astronomical.
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Tonim(f): 6:50pm On Apr 27, 2008
The Sly:

because i want them to have the best of education.
You can't compare the educational system in Nigeria to the west. . . .The difference is astronomical.

Okay I get your point. But what about elementary & high school ? There are very decent ones in Nigeria (as obtains in the west), albeit
they cost a lot. May be high school at least.

The thing is, I want my kids (none yet) to have a feel for our culture and I think the best way to accomplish this is for them
to go home and school for a while.

Now, as far as college/university goes, that's a whole different ball game all together.
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Dreloaded(f): 6:55pm On Apr 27, 2008
same way America goes to Mexico

It's cos you losers will work for cheap tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Do You Straighten A Bent Male Organ? / Raped And Dejected,left With My Unforgettable Scar,a Child,my Son / I Don't Love My Wife Like Before, Advice Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.