Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,707 members, 7,816,907 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:54 PM

Is It Necessary To Spank Children? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Necessary To Spank Children? (4215 Views)

Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? / What Age Is Appropriate To Spank Your Child / Is It Necessary To Teach Babies To Sit? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by TheSly: 7:04pm On Apr 27, 2008
Tonim:

Okay I get your point. But what about elementary & high school ? There are very decent ones in Nigeria (as obtains in the west), albeit
they cost a lot. May be high school at least.

The thing is, I want my kids (none yet) to have a feel for our culture and I think the best way to accomplish this is for them
to go home and school for a while.

Now, as far as college/university goes, that's a whole different ball game all together.

I got you. .
But the point is. . . .Relocating or settling down in Nigeria is never in Ma Agenda. and for the fact that i want me kids to be around me
Leaving them to study in Nigeria is absurd. . . i don't even Wanna think about it . .
But that doesn't mean ''we'' (Me and 'em kids) wouldn't be visiting Naija often for holidays. . .of course we would.
But as for them to study in Nigeria. . .to me its like a punishment to the kids. . . .thats a "No go" area.
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by jgirl3: 7:04pm On Apr 27, 2008
It's not necessary to spank children but sometimes it's called for.
When the child is getting out of hand - spank the child very well. . . .
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Tonim(f): 7:14pm On Apr 27, 2008
The Sly:

I got you. .
But the point is. . . .Relocating or settling down in Nigeria is never in Ma Agenda. and for the fact that i want me kids to be around me
Leaving them to study in Nigeria is absurd. . . i don't even Wanna think about it . .
But that doesn't mean ''we'' (Me and 'em kids) wouldn't be visiting Naija often for holidays. . .of course we would.
But as for them to study in Nigeria. . .to me its like a punishment to the kids. . . .thats a "No go" area.

Good Point @ Sly. This is exactly what I am battling with; I can't relocate to the place (not in the near future anyway), want
the kids to have a feel for our culture (speak the language fluently), yet, want the kids to be around me.

Perhaps the traveling home thingy would do. Something to think/ brainstorm about sha smiley
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by bawomolo(m): 7:21pm On Apr 27, 2008
you have issues if spanking is the way to talk sense into your kids. weren't all the corrupt leaders, agberos, omo ota's spanked too. rather than use words, u use a stick.
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Tonim(f): 7:21pm On Apr 27, 2008
his_grace:

obviosuly you don't know whats going on in Nigeria - anyway -you said - you can't allow your kids - but go to the private schools in Nigeria and see that 75 per cent of the pupils/students there are pupils/students whose parents live abroad and have sent the wards to Nigeria to school - why - because thjere is a big diference between schooling and educating - in America - pupils go to school - while in Nigeria - pupils/students get educated - you grab?

There really are good private schools in Nigeria, no doubt about that. But like Sly said, I want to be with my children while they grow up

his_grace:

Because in America - you allow your kids to rot until he/she slaps your face
- but in Nigeria - you teach them from the begining - u mold them - the same way we were molded while growing up - else - let them grow up in the western world and watch them grow up to become what you never wish for them.

Some kids in America even call their parents by name ! That respect your elders thing is seriously lacking I have to admit

his_grace:

In Britain - spanking was banned - but go there today and see how rotten kids have become - at 15 they are already pregnant - at 16 / 19 - they are already fathers - what kind of society is that?

Na so we see am oo, you can't discipline your kids or else you are tagged an abusive parent and may have your children taken away from you.

They said we should be practicing "time out" LMAO !
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by bawomolo(m): 7:23pm On Apr 27, 2008
When the child is getting out of hand - spank the child very well. . . .

can u define what u mean by spank the child very well??
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by bawomolo(m): 7:26pm On Apr 27, 2008
Some kids in America even call their parents by name ! That respect your elders thing is seriously lacking I have to admit

i disagree, it's more of a cultural difference. they may call their parents by names(fine in their culture) but lots of americans do care about the welfare of their parents. there are out of line kids in nigeria too so it's funny how people chastize the west. dont' african americans spank their kids?

Na so we see am oo, you can't discipline your kids or else you are tagged an abusive parent and may have your children taken away from you.

it's abuse if ur kids are emotionally or physically hurt from the spanking
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Cadet(f): 7:28pm On Apr 27, 2008
It's not necessary, But its needed once in a while
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by 4Him1(m): 7:29pm On Apr 27, 2008
Its abuse the moment your kids are afraid of you as a parent
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by TheSly: 7:30pm On Apr 27, 2008
-
but go there today and see how rotten kids have become - at 15 they are already pregnant - at 16 / 19 - they are already fathers - what kind of society is that?
Same in Nigeria . . . .Same errwhere!!!!!!

Because in America - you allow your kids to rot until he/she slaps your face - but in Nigeria - you teach them from the begining - u mold them - the same way we were molded while growing up - else - let them grow up in the western world and watch them grow up to become what you never wish for them.
So u mean all them kids raised in the west are spoilt?
What about Nigerian dudes that are using their parents for rituals right there in Nigeria? were they raised in the west too?

Was She raised in The west as well?
All those political Adedibu's thugs. . .were they all raised in the west?
What about those cultist in the Nigeria's universities. . .were they all raised in the west? last time i checked, they were counting scores with human lives.

but go to the private schools in Nigeria and see that 75 per cent of the pupils/students there are pupils/students whose parents live abroad and have sent the wards to Nigeria to school
Ok how many hapless Nigerians have the opportunity to go to private school? lets say 20% of the whole population of 130mills?
In the west. . .it doesnt marra. .Public or 10. . .you are good to go.
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Cadet(f): 7:37pm On Apr 27, 2008
4 Him:

Yes, it is. But there is a limit David. I can't live with a disrespective child. I never disrespected my mom, and I absolutely wnt take it from my children. Ok, maybe I rolled my eyes once or twice lipsrsealed But a child that does not listen to words needs some egba(cain) grin
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Tonim(f): 7:41pm On Apr 27, 2008
bawomolo:

i disagree, it's more of a cultural difference. they may call their parents by names(fine in their culture)

What cultural difference ? A culture that imbibes not respecting your elders ?

I went to this Caribbean place the other day to buy something, can you believe this girl told the woman

attending to us, adding "you need to shut up". This girl was about 15-17 years old and the lady had to be
in her 50s or 60s. How often do you see this in Nigeria ?

bawomolo:

but lots of americans do care about the welfare of their parents. there are out of line kids in nigeria too so it's funny how people chastize the west. don't' african americans spank their kids?

hehe, you really don't want us to go on about african american kids do you ?
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Cadet(f): 7:47pm On Apr 27, 2008
Tonim:

I went to this Caribbean place the other day to buy something, can you believe this black girl told the woman

attending to us, adding "you need to shut up". This girl was about 15-17 years old and the lady had to be

Omo, It sickens me too!
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by bawomolo(m): 7:48pm On Apr 27, 2008

a culture that treats their elders differently, it is disrespects looking at it from our lens. these elders don't mind, so how is it disrespect. the thing is western people want to be look as young and hip as possible. they hate being called old.  grin

chalk it up to bad parenting, and how are u sure the kid hasn't being spanked, given lots of black kids in the US are spanked 2.  the problem is beyond spanking.
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by TheSly: 7:50pm On Apr 27, 2008
Tonim:

Good Point @ Sly. This is exactly what I am battling with; I can't relocate to the place (not in the near future anyway), want
the kids to have a feel for our culture (speak the language fluently), yet, want the kids to be around me.

Perhaps the traveling home thingy would do. Something to think/ brainstorm about sha smiley
Geddit! cool cool
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Tonim(f): 7:56pm On Apr 27, 2008
Cadet:

Omo, It sickens me too!

My dear, it is completely nuts !

bawomolo:

chalk it up to bad parenting, and how are u sure the kid hasn't being spanked, given lots of black kids in the US are spanked 2. the problem is beyond spanking.

It's not bad parenting abeg, it's the society that keeps you from disciplining your child and like I said earlier, imbibes disrespecting your elders.

@OP

I just want to state for the record that I do not support spanking children - at least for the most part.
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Apr 27, 2008

True.
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by SweetT1: 8:05pm On Apr 27, 2008
Spanking your kids is just a waste of time. They look forward to the spanking every time they mess up. studies has shown that it does not work. The only thing that works is to give them abundant of love and when they mess up, withdraw the love. Nothing pains a teenager than taking away the tv, play stations, Dvds and plenty of time outs.
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Cadet(f): 8:11pm On Apr 27, 2008
Sweet T:

Spanking your kids is just a waste of time. They look forward to the spanking every time they mess up. studies has shown that it does not work. The only thing that works is to give them abundant of love and when they mess up, withdraw the love. Nothing pains a teenager than taking away the tv, play stations, Dvds and plenty of time outs.
So TV, Play stations, DVDS etc is a show of love? NNNNNNNNNawa o!!!!!! Those are material goods, my friend
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Tattooboy: 8:23pm On Apr 27, 2008
@topic and poster
Go ghetto u'll get a good answer
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by bawomolo(m): 8:26pm On Apr 27, 2008
It's not bad parenting abeg, it's the society that keeps you from disciplining your child and like I said earlier, imbibes disrespecting your elders.

it's bad parenting if the idea of disciplining one's kids is limited to spanking. again, those agbero's, thugged out rappers were spanked too.
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by SweetT1: 8:34pm On Apr 27, 2008
@Cadet

What would you know about raising a kid ?? You still got similac on your breath. cheesy but just so you know, taking away the leisure things they like when they mess up is called "tough love" But I'm not surprise, Ekiti people use iroko tree to beat their children. cheesy
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Cadet(f): 8:38pm On Apr 27, 2008
Sweet T:

@Cadet

What would you know about raising a kid ?? You still got similac on your breath. cheesy but just so you know, taking away the leisure things they like when they mess up is called "tough love" But I'm not surprise, Ekiti people use iroko tree to beat their children. cheesy
Just so you know, I know how to raise a kid better than you. when it comes to kids, dnt argue with me on that. Anyways, just admit I was right. All those material goods is not a show of love.

Se na iroko tree lo i ri. Obo(monkey), dnt forget slippers too
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by SweetT1: 8:44pm On Apr 27, 2008
Yeah right, you call part time baby sitting job raising a kid ??
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Cadet(f): 8:49pm On Apr 27, 2008
Sweet T:

Yeah right, you call part time baby sitting job raising a kid ??
No, I call raising my 3 siblings for 7 years raising a kid. Yes, I raised them. Dnt ask what I meant by that. Atleast, half of the stuff I know, it's barely tangible to you. You won't understand it.
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by SweetT1: 8:56pm On Apr 27, 2008
yeah right. more like 3 baby sitting jobs.
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Cadet(f): 8:58pm On Apr 27, 2008
Sweet T:

yeah right. more like 3 baby sitting jobs.
See what I meant. I didn't even begin coaching you yet, you're already doubting me. Oga o
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Nobody: 10:41pm On Apr 27, 2008
@topic

spank is an understatement,i will bulldozer any of my child dat needs it
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Cadet(f): 12:38am On Apr 28, 2008
LMGBO. Jenny, i fear you o
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by bigfather(m): 1:15am On Apr 28, 2008
For me, i still maintain that a little bit of spanking will do some corrections. The spanking i mean here is not a brutal thing. For example before you spank your ward , just make him/her understand why they are being spanked but not just spanking without a reason. It's all for love anyway not for hatered. I spank my kid and after some hours we settle and life goes on and that love and bond still remains there. "ti a ba fi owo otun ba omo wi, a tun fi owo osi fa mo ra "
I love my child to death but not to the extent of spearing the rod any time she derails. smiley
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by outlaws(m): 8:34am On Apr 28, 2008
cool

That will be an option if they can't learn or listen
Re: Is It Necessary To Spank Children? by Nobody: 10:33am On Apr 28, 2008
LMGBO. Jenny, i fear you o

u suppose fear fear naaa,y will i not spank d living daylight out of my stubborn child,all because i live in d western world or what,any child that deserves it should be given abeg,kids of this days are so stubborn that it is only when u spank their asses that they will learn

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Men Beat Their Wife / Raped And Dejected,left With My Unforgettable Scar,a Child,my Son / How Do You Straighten A Bent Male Organ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.