Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,745 members, 7,824,146 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

Nigeria’s Aviation Sector: Any Need For Government Participation? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigeria’s Aviation Sector: Any Need For Government Participation? (2745 Views)

The 1992 Nigerian Air Force Plane Crash-The Worst In Nigeria's Aviation History? / Is There Any Need For My Wife To Do Change Of Name / Illegal Helicopter Charter Flights’ Spark Row In Aviation Sector (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria’s Aviation Sector: Any Need For Government Participation? by BrandSpurNG: 8:40am On Sep 21, 2018
Barely two months after the Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) unveiled its proposed national carrier project (Nigeria-Air), the project has been “suspended in the interim” according to the Minister of State for Aviation. On one hand, the development came in as a surprise considering the initial commitment of the FGN to the project despite public outcry. On the other hand, the resources that have been committed to the project could have easily been deployed to some more pressing uses.

While we query the viability of the FGN’s participation in the aviation industry in the first place, we are worried about the implication of the development on the government’s commitment to other economic matters and ultimately the critical reforms required across the key sectors of the economy such as transportation, power, oil & gas, healthcare, and the much-touted economic diversification.

Compared to Nigeria’s huge population size, rising middle class and huge demographic attraction, other activities in the sector such as the air-freight (consisting of shippers, airliners, leading courier firms) and aviation handling, remains dominated by a handful of companies such as UPS, DHL, NAHCO, and SAHCOL. Thus, much work is still needed to unlock hidden potentials across the sector. Our view remains that the FGN’s focus should be on creating an enabling environment rather than an outright participation.

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/daily-insight-nigerias-aviation-sector-any-need-for-government-participation/

Re: Nigeria’s Aviation Sector: Any Need For Government Participation? by JustCare: 6:37am On Sep 22, 2018
A topic worth debating smiley

Creating an enabling environment or having our own airline all boiis down to proper managerial skills. This is the psycho-industrial factor we are lacking from the grassroots to the top government echelon.

Take for example, the internet farmers of nairaland. A lot of people have wasted money and gone astray because of the half-baked information some people dish out here without hands-on experience. Internet and paper plans and feasibility studies are all different from real life situations packed with experiences.

So the point here is that Nigeria has always fixed square pegs in round holes. Now we have got the money, space and time but lack the willpower to go for the best of brains in the aviation industry to manage this venture, simply because some ogas at the top has been scheming to be at the helm of the whole thing from the beginning, mind you these ogas has little or no experience to function in this capacity.

I don't see while a county with over 200 million people, smart people all over the world and resources can't start and maintain a common airline when countries like small Qatar et al are living huge on aviation despite their excess oil money. It's not rocket science, the managerial skills is just missing.

These skills will keep missing if we don't do away with favoritism and nepotism. That's the barn of our existence as a nation. Nigeria should go into the market and pick the right persons, I can help them If they don't mind wink

Until the government do this we will all keep moving in a circle in all sectors. We will remain this way and nothing will ever work because the ogas have refused harmony between their ID EGO & SUPEREGO (sorry for the jargons) wink

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Aviation Sector: Any Need For Government Participation? by YoungLionken(m): 6:38am On Sep 22, 2018
The way the country is now, whatever the govt says they want to do, let them do. Because if they don't do it now, it might take 300 years to get to it again, by that time, none of us here will be around to witness. Since they haven't really done anything tangible, if it's pencil the govt wants to start producing, pls they should go on with it. Half bread is better than none
Re: Nigeria’s Aviation Sector: Any Need For Government Participation? by segeranking(m): 6:38am On Sep 22, 2018
Hello good evening. I'm an upper credit graduate of mechanical engineering technology (manufacturing option) searching for a job currently. I'm done with the compulsory nysc program, I live in ojodu Berger Lagos State. I have good interpersonal skills that will interest you if you deem it fit to go through my CV. I will be very grateful if you can make a recommendation or perhaps give me one for I am ethusiatic in giving out my best and learning more from any interested organization. Please hit me up via my mail, for I will be gladden to share a copy for good. alanamichaelsegun@gmail.com. Thank you may God bless you richly
Re: Nigeria’s Aviation Sector: Any Need For Government Participation? by YoungLionken(m): 6:45am On Sep 22, 2018
segeranking:
Hello good morning I'm an upper credit graduate of mechanical engineering technology (manufacturing option) searching for a job currently I'm done with the compulsory nysc program I leave in ojodu Berger Lagos State. I have good interpersonal skills that will interest you if you dim it fit to go through my CV. I will be very grateful if you can make a recommendation or perhaps give me one for I am ethusiatic in giving out my best and learning more from any interested organization. Please hit me up via my mail I will be gladden to share a copy for good. alanamichaelsegun@gmail.com. Thank you may God bless you richly
Nice one bro, don't worry the Lord will answer your desires soon, in Jesus name... Amen!

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Aviation Sector: Any Need For Government Participation? by Thisis2raw(m): 6:46am On Sep 22, 2018
Even the name "Nigeria" is a is a joke

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Aviation Sector: Any Need For Government Participation? by segeranking(m): 6:48am On Sep 22, 2018
YoungLionken:

Nice one bro, don't worry the Lord will answer your desires soon, in Jesus name... Amen!

Amen... Thanks for your genuine concern bro. Do have a splendid weekend.
Re: Nigeria’s Aviation Sector: Any Need For Government Participation? by Nobody: 6:49am On Sep 22, 2018
No
Re: Nigeria’s Aviation Sector: Any Need For Government Participation? by Neminc: 6:51am On Sep 22, 2018
No need at all, Nigeria's successive governments have proven to be inept at managing business companies as evidenced by the number of moribund companies littered all over the place. Buhari and his advisers really blundered with this Nigerian air nonsense, trying to take Nigeria back to decades old policies. Nigerian government has no business running air transport companies, they should leave it to private investors and most importantly open up the market for many investors as possible and break the current monopoly of a few major airlines

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Aviation Sector: Any Need For Government Participation? by eph12(m): 7:16am On Sep 22, 2018
Private sector should handle it, but we all know that it will be sold to their own companies by proxy and it will be the same thing
Re: Nigeria’s Aviation Sector: Any Need For Government Participation? by SocialJustice: 7:49am On Sep 22, 2018
Government should stay out.
Re: Nigeria’s Aviation Sector: Any Need For Government Participation? by Gerrard59(m): 8:27am On Sep 22, 2018
The Nigerian government is largely incompetent when managing companies. This is not the UAE or Singapore. Rather, it's a place where folks who don't know the job will be saddled with the responsibilities of managing the firm.

So no need for government's interference. Just provide the environment, dazol.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Aviation Sector: Any Need For Government Participation? by CocoaOla: 11:01am On Sep 22, 2018
Nigerian government and their 419 game the whole country should be privatize to experienced and competent nation Abeg I'm ashamed as a Nigerian anywhere I travel to I pray Nigeria it's shall be well.
Re: Nigeria’s Aviation Sector: Any Need For Government Participation? by Kennyfancy(m): 11:19am On Sep 22, 2018
this Government and waste are like arsenal and disappointment
Re: Nigeria’s Aviation Sector: Any Need For Government Participation? by Deji63: 1:57pm On Sep 22, 2018
No need. The private sector can do it alone.
Re: Nigeria’s Aviation Sector: Any Need For Government Participation? by femi4: 2:59pm On Sep 22, 2018
segeranking:
Hello good evening. I'm an upper credit graduate of mechanical engineering technology (manufacturing option) searching for a job currently. I'm done with the compulsory nysc program, I live in ojodu Berger Lagos State. I have good interpersonal skills that will interest you if you deem it fit to go through my CV. I will be very grateful if you can make a recommendation or perhaps give me one for I am ethusiatic in giving out my best and learning more from any interested organization. Please hit me up via my mail, for I will be gladden to share a copy for good. alanamichaelsegun@gmail.com. Thank you may God bless you richly
cry

(1) (Reply)

Meet The Richest Young Nigerian Billionaire In The US / Affordable Hotel In Ikeja / Possible Location On Missing Tradewing Beechcraft 1900d Airplane

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.