Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,232 members, 7,849,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 10:40 AM

Man Sacked For Going For FRSC Screening In Lagos After Lying He Was Sick - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Man Sacked For Going For FRSC Screening In Lagos After Lying He Was Sick (27311 Views)

Man Sacked After Being Caught On CCTV Masturbating In Office's Kitchen / Australian Man Sacked From His N50m Job For Ejaculating On Women In Public / Man Sacked By His Boss After He Refused To Sleep With His Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Sacked For Going For FRSC Screening In Lagos After Lying He Was Sick by Yoighaman(m): 5:59pm On Sep 26, 2018
cruchenutii:

You have to request for day offs weeks before the said time/day. You can't just request for a day off on few days prior to that day. Also requesting for day off doesn't mean you will be granted. It called a "Request" & not a "Right".

Asking for sick day off is the most reasonable way. Its good he got fired. There are better opportunities in life than sticking to an old snitching HOD please.

That's where interpersonal skills/ relationship with you superior comes to play. While I was in paid employment, I had 2 or 3 occasions when I got impromptu calls for interviews and I opened up to my supervisor, she covered up for me on all occasions, despite the work load. Now this is someone perceived to have an opposite disposition but I had studied her over time and realized the kind of person she really was/is. Not everyone would have the sense and courage to approach her and open up on such issues.

When I had surbodinates too, I ensured they could discuss just about anything with me but of course I knew where to draw the lines.

He (guy in question) didn't need to tell lies, for me it's the most obnoxious approach.

1 Like

Re: Man Sacked For Going For FRSC Screening In Lagos After Lying He Was Sick by CHM11: 6:12pm On Sep 26, 2018
kidman96:

keep quiet. when you own a company someday you wont make such a senseless comment. i have worked as a supervisor before and i know how difficult things can be when an employee skips a days work for any reason. workload would increase and i have to run around trying to fill that gap, sometimes i have to even do his job myself. if he had applied for a day off thats a different case but he lied. nobody wants lairs around them because they are usually thieves.

his sack was justified. Nigerians especially lagosians always try to be smart even in the most unnecessary and inappropriate places and times. and it often come back to bite.

an employee like that has no conscience and would tender his resignation abruptly regardless of its effect on the production of the company.

i am replying you because i understand where you are coming from. But if i may, some supervisors overdo it and are totally unapproachable. I dont see anything wrong with applying for a day off work, but for this employee in question to have lied, it is possible that he/she must have known that if he had said the truth, his request would have been declined by this supervisor. Infact, some companies here in Nigeria would sack you outrightly for desiring career growth!

3 Likes

Re: Man Sacked For Going For FRSC Screening In Lagos After Lying He Was Sick by Nobody: 6:13pm On Sep 26, 2018
Yoighaman:

That's where interpersonal skills/ relationship with you superior comes to play. While I was in paid employment, I had 2 or 3 occasions when I got impromptu calls for interviews and I opened up to my supervisor, she covered up for me on all occasions, despite the work load. Now this is someone perceived to have an opposite disposition but I had studied her over time and realized the kind of person she really was/is. Not everyone would have the sense and courage to approach her and open up on such issues.

When I had surbodinates too, I ensured they could discuss just about anything with me but of course I knew where to draw the lines.

He (guy in question) didn't need to tell lies, for me it's the most obnoxious approach.

You are right but unfortunately not every boss is that understanding. Some will call a parade on you & every one will know you're going to an Interview.

3 Likes

Re: Man Sacked For Going For FRSC Screening In Lagos After Lying He Was Sick by Nobody: 6:17pm On Sep 26, 2018
CHM11:

i am replying you because i understand where you are coming from. But if you may, some supervisors overdo it and are totally not approachable. I dont see anything wrong with applying for a day off work, but for this employee in question to have lied, it is possible that he/she must have known that if he had said the truth, his request would have been declined by this supervisor. Infact, some companies here in Nigeria would sack you outrightly for desiring career growth!

My brother, A lot of companies do not want their Employees to do better. They love the Master/Slave mentality.

5 Likes

Re: Man Sacked For Going For FRSC Screening In Lagos After Lying He Was Sick by CHM11: 6:27pm On Sep 26, 2018
AntiWailer:

They have sacked him so as not to hold him down na

both parties have no business being together, the mistake was accepting the job in the first place. but i know desperation can make us do crazy things.
Re: Man Sacked For Going For FRSC Screening In Lagos After Lying He Was Sick by CHM11: 6:33pm On Sep 26, 2018
Izuogu1:
call a spade a spade.. Don't cover sin/offence with excuses and sentiments. The sack is justifiable

sentiment is why we are different persons with different approach to situations. the problem to me didnt start on the interview day. Its a poor leadership issue. A good leader would be approachable on issues like this. If u are earning 150k as an entry level after 5 years with a company, then u are called for an interview for a job that pays 800k for a mid level in another coy, but you damn well know from experience that your line supervisor is a shithole and would never allow you to attend, that he might even escalate that you are applying for other jobs elsewhere (you have a management that frowns at this). What will you do in this situation?
Re: Man Sacked For Going For FRSC Screening In Lagos After Lying He Was Sick by CHM11: 6:38pm On Sep 26, 2018
boyjo:

Eyaah, Sweetie please calm down.

lol, its his first time staying off work according to the OP. a simple warning explaining the company policy concerning issues like this is the ideal thing to do. Outright sack! thats just mean. Staff are your greatest asset/investment, treat them well.
Re: Man Sacked For Going For FRSC Screening In Lagos After Lying He Was Sick by CHM11: 6:52pm On Sep 26, 2018
cruchenutii:

Don't be stupid bro. Whether you're an employer of labour or not, I do not care. How do you even think?

I suppose that everyman is entitled to a number of sick leaves in a year, whatever I do with it is my cup of tea. Before you became a supervisor you were not working somewhere else? How did you find time for your Interview for your current Job?

If you want to apply for day offs, you have to do it way before hand, in some companies like 2 weeks. And there is no guarantee that you will get it.

please loud it so he will hear. Some people have never worked in more than 2 companies they are here claiming supervisors. you need to see a place where things work!..supervisors that have brain and know how to lead...they build a relationship with their team members, so much that subordinates give in over 100% because they are happy to do so. subordinates will be comfy with u that they will tell you the truth, then if business needs cant allow, the supervisor can calmly decline.

1 Like

Re: Man Sacked For Going For FRSC Screening In Lagos After Lying He Was Sick by CHM11: 7:05pm On Sep 26, 2018
Akexstinger:
He made a mistake. He shouldn't have used health ground as the reason. Next time he will learn to be political. you have to be political in dealing with companies and management. A simple "Hello Sir, I will not be around on Monday, I need to attend to personal things, I will resume on Tuesday" would have taken care of it. it will put you in the position of the boss and your superior will have no option than to give you the go ahead. If he refuses and you proceed, the worse that can happen is no work no salary or query and not outright sack. you have to be smart with companies and management, else they toss you around and make your life miserable.
Also, always try to have good records with company, there are times i fall ill or sick and i am still working which the management will be aware, I will be on treatment and still be at work. Also dont be a late comer. All these things they take note. so, when you tell them you will not be available for anyday, they will not have any problem with that.

Also in your workplace, don't ever reveal your plans to your colleague no matter the closeness especially in the South West, unless you are a valuable asset to the company. Remember anybody is replaceable.

best post here!!
Re: Man Sacked For Going For FRSC Screening In Lagos After Lying He Was Sick by egopersonified(f): 7:24pm On Sep 26, 2018
let's wait two days and see someone offer him a job. is it not twitter again?
Re: Man Sacked For Going For FRSC Screening In Lagos After Lying He Was Sick by Raalsalghul: 7:59pm On Sep 26, 2018
CHM11:

i am replying you because i understand where you are coming from. But if i may, some supervisors overdo it and are totally unapproachable. I dont see anything wrong with applying for a day off work, but for this employee in question to have lied, it is possible that he/she must have known that if he had said the truth, his request would have been declined by this supervisor. Infact, some companies here in Nigeria would sack you outrightly for desiring career growth!
Truth!
Re: Man Sacked For Going For FRSC Screening In Lagos After Lying He Was Sick by Raalsalghul: 8:03pm On Sep 26, 2018
CHM11:

sentiment is why we are different persons with different approach to situations. the problem to me didnt start on the interview day. Its a poor leadership issue. A good leader would be approachable on issues like this. If u are earning 150k as an entry level after 5 years with a company, then u are called for an interview for a job that pays 800k for a mid level in another coy, but you damn well know from experience that your line supervisor is a shithole and would never allow you to attend, that he might even escalate that you are applying for other jobs elsewhere (you have a management that frowns at this). What will you do in this situation?
Bro you've said the truth. It's hard to get career growth in most Nigerian companies now. The key is moving from place to place gathering experience till you hit the pinnacle. I support what the guy did only he wasn't discreet enough.

1 Like

Re: Man Sacked For Going For FRSC Screening In Lagos After Lying He Was Sick by hesilo(m): 10:00pm On Sep 26, 2018
Some of these so called HODs be doing anyhow until one day dey will sack somebody for a cheap promotion and sack themselves permanently from LIFE. Stop ruining people's lives because you feel you got powers. Sometimes we fail to understand that most of the people you look down on today or actually blocking to get to their destination might be hoodwinked by nature to be the people who would take you to the next position by them being in their destined destination for which you are painstakingly blocking them from. Always be tolerant and know that we are humans. Let somebody's success story spur our innate desire to reposition our mindset for better us than to simply hate and wish to destroy.

hesilo

1 Like

Re: Man Sacked For Going For FRSC Screening In Lagos After Lying He Was Sick by ikezuora4689(m): 12:01pm On Sep 27, 2018
Psoul:

You said the truth the wrong way
hw plz explain
Re: Man Sacked For Going For FRSC Screening In Lagos After Lying He Was Sick by ikezuora4689(m): 12:06pm On Sep 27, 2018
Raalsalghul:
You reek of pompousity and wickedness. I pray never to have people like you as my boss
lol....truth dey say is always bitter to hear....let's say u have company of ur own...and u needed serous minded people for ur company to grow...and u have an employee who is always looking for means to dupe ur company
....the same company that accepted u when other companies rejected u.... please what will u do
Re: Man Sacked For Going For FRSC Screening In Lagos After Lying He Was Sick by ikezuora4689(m): 12:12pm On Sep 27, 2018
OhiOfIhima:

But in this case, is it possible for him to have made known to his employer d main reason he was absent from work... That is before the whole scenario
the guys mistake is lying...he should have told his employer...if am the boss I can't stop u from going because I knw it's a nice move to better ur future and career...bt if u lie to me...u are sacked period...we have many people out there who don't appreciate you... forgetting that without you they will still be in the street looking for job
Re: Man Sacked For Going For FRSC Screening In Lagos After Lying He Was Sick by Raalsalghul: 12:20pm On Sep 27, 2018
ikezuora4689:
lol....truth dey say is always bitter to hear....let's say u have company of ur own...and u needed serous minded people for ur company to grow...and u have an employee who is always looking for means to dupe ur company
....the same company that accepted u when other companies rejected u.... please what will u do
First things first, there is no where in the post it has been established that dude has been doing this.

Secondly, am not saying dude is right, only should have been more discreet.

Thirdly, as an entreprenuer I should always have the mindset that folks are constantly on the lookout for better oppprtunities and prepare. Nobody wants to remain stagnant.

Only reason I attacked you is because you didn't empathize to the dude's plight. How do you think most people get better jobs? And perhaps he knew his boss might have declined his request had he applied for leave or even opened up.

Advice for you: try looking at things from different perspectives and stop being narrow minded. The world is bigger than that business you own or that firm you feel you're untouchable in. Have a nice day.
Re: Man Sacked For Going For FRSC Screening In Lagos After Lying He Was Sick by ikezuora4689(m): 12:22pm On Sep 27, 2018
CHM11:

this is just an example of a very wicked human being. Most Nigerian Management just want to hold people down on meagre salary. Promote you will not promote, then when they try their luck in other places you want to sack them!...in saner climes, some coys even throw a send forth get together for staff members who got other jobs. Its all in the spirit of maintaining relationships. If you dont want him to go, then you offer him better!.

i am positive that this HOD in question is one of those bastard God playing HODs who forget that they are not the owner of the company, they are just a damned employee too and anything can happen to them someday. Fine, the guy is at fault for lying, but do u think this type of HOD would allow him if he had told the truth? some of them never want you to be better than they are.

ive worked with both the good and the bad, the good supervisors care about your career development both within the company and elsewhere (if the coys current business strategy is not in line with your own career ambitions). These good supervisors encourage you to get additional qualifications, read and gain skills, encourage you to develop yourself, in return you most likely will give in extra to ensure that tasks are completed as at when due so as to maintain the good relationship.
Those bad leaders will just use everybody under them to paint themselves as saints in the eyes of management. such leaders find it hard to deliver on KPIs and other projects because the people under such a boss give far below what they can offer due to the bad leadership method in use.

As it concerns the employee in question, he shouldnt have lied, but im sure he was left with no option. He shouldnt even be working with such a company in the first place.

what happened to warning for first offenders? Zero Empathy as a company!
Mr man...I don't have problem with the guy trying other companies....my problem is that he lied about it...his trying to play smart...let say he later got the job..he will abandon his old employers without giving them notice...I stand by what I said I will sack u without thinking twice...if you are a football fan...the same scenario happened with Brazil manager... accepting contract with Barcelona when he is still with Brazil...when Brazil football association gat to knw abt it...they sacked him immediately...no hard feelings
Re: Man Sacked For Going For FRSC Screening In Lagos After Lying He Was Sick by Raalsalghul: 12:22pm On Sep 27, 2018
ikezuora4689:
the guys mistake is lying...he should have told his employer...if am the boss I can't stop u from going because I knw it's a nice move to better ur future and career...bt if u lie to me...u are sacked period...we have many people out there who don't appreciate you... forgetting that without you they will still be in the street looking for job
The way you throw the bolded around as if it is the end of someone's life.
Re: Man Sacked For Going For FRSC Screening In Lagos After Lying He Was Sick by ikezuora4689(m): 12:26pm On Sep 27, 2018
Raalsalghul:

First things first, there is no where in the post it has been established that dude has been doing this.

Secondly, am not saying dude is right, only should have been more discreet.

Thirdly, as an entreprenuer I should always have the mindset that folks are constantly on the lookout for better oppprtunities and prepare. Nobody wants to remain stagnant.

Only reason I attacked you is because you didn't empathize to the dude's plight. How do you think most people get better jobs? And perhaps he knew his boss might have declined his request had he applied for leave or even opened up.

Advice for you: try looking at things from different perspectives and stop being narrow minded. The world is bigger than that business you own or that firm you feel you're untouchable in. Have a nice day.
I understand where u are coming from...if am the employee I would have explain things to my boss....am sure he will understand.
Re: Man Sacked For Going For FRSC Screening In Lagos After Lying He Was Sick by Raalsalghul: 12:28pm On Sep 27, 2018
ikezuora4689:
I understand where u are coming from...if am the employee I would have explain things to my boss....am sure he will understand.
Well, that depends on the kind of boss.
Re: Man Sacked For Going For FRSC Screening In Lagos After Lying He Was Sick by BrokenCock: 2:48pm On Sep 27, 2018
ikezuora4689:
truly speaking...if am the boss I will sack u without thinking twice...u going to the interview and lieing about it means u don't respect me or ur job...do I don't see any reason why u should keep the job.... always appreciate what u have.. they are people out there wishing to have what u don't value
ur kind don't retire healthy
Re: Man Sacked For Going For FRSC Screening In Lagos After Lying He Was Sick by Malik1338(m): 6:21pm On Dec 23, 2022
greenmonk:

Lie to skip job is same thing as stealing. He should have applied for deductable leave. Stealing is automatic sack.
Please what does leave deductible mean

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Highest Paid Paramilitary Personnel In Nigeria? / It Is A Fallacy That No Knowledge Is a Wasted one / How To Look Busy At Work Without Really Working

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.