Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,103 members, 7,818,297 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) (71836 Views)

Mabel Makun Throwback Photo: AY Shares Throwback Vs Now Photos Of His Wife / Gentle Jack Celebrates His Birthday Today. See His Throwback & Now Photos / 30 Years After: 'Coming To America' Stars Then And Now (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by Nobody: 4:00pm On Sep 26, 2018
I remember my mum having a super-crush on Victor garber, OMG, it was massive, she cried when she found out he was gay
Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by fixers(m): 4:05pm On Sep 26, 2018
The Titanic.
British luxury passenger liner that sank on April 14–15, 1912, en route to New York City from Southampton, England, during its maiden voyage, killing about 1,500 passengers and ship personnel. One of the most famous tragedies in modern history, it has inspired numerous stories, several films, and a musical and has been the subject of much scholarship and scientific speculation.
The Titanic was one of the largest and most luxurious ships in the world. It had a gross registered tonnage (i.e., carrying capacity) of 46,329 tons, and when fully laden the ship displaced (weighed) 66,000 tons. The Titanic was 882.5 feet (269 metres) long and 92.5 feet (28.2 metres) wide at its widest point. It was designed and built by William Pirrie's Belfast firm Harland and Wolff to service the highly competitive Atlantic Ferry route. It had a double-bottomed hull divided into 16 compartments that were presumed to be watertight. Because four of these could be flooded without endangering the liner's buoyancy, it was considered unsinkable.
Shortly before midnight on April 14, the ship collided with an iceberg about 400 miles (640 km) south of Newfoundland, and at least five of its watertight compartments toward the bow were ruptured. The first four of these five compartments filled with water, which pulled down the bow of the ship. The Titanic's compartments were not capped at the top, so water from the ruptured forward compartments filled each succeeding compartment aft as the ship's incline brought the bow below the waterline. The ship sank at 2:20 AM April 15. The Titanic had only 1,178 lifeboat spaces for the 2,224 persons aboard, and many of the lifeboats were lowered into the water only partly filled with passengers, thus leaving many people stranded on the sinking ship. As a result, about 1,500 people died. (Although the facilities proved to be inadequate, the Titanic had actually exceeded the lifeboat requirements of the British Board of Trade's regulations, which had been formulated for much smaller ships.)
Inquiries held in the United States and Great Britain alleged that the Leyland liner Californian, which was less than 20 miles (32 km) away all night, could have aided the stricken vessel had its radio operator been on duty and thereby received the Titanic's distress signals. Only the arrival of the Cunard liner Carpathia 1 hour and 20 minutes after the Titanic went down prevented further loss of life in the icy waters.
Many of those who perished on the ship came from prominent American, British, and European families. Among the dead were the noted British journalist William Thomas Stead and heirs to the Straus and Astor fortunes. The glamour associated with the ship, its maiden voyage, and its notable passengers magnified the tragedy of its sinking in the popular mind. Legends arose almost immediately around the night's events, those who had died, and those who had survived. Heroes and heroines, such as American Molly Brown, were identified and celebrated by the press. The disaster and the mythology that has surrounded it have continued to fascinate millions.
As a result of the disaster, the first International Convention for Safety of Life at Sea was called in London in 1913. The convention drew up rules requiring that every ship have lifeboat space for each person embarked; that lifeboat drills be held during each voyage; and, because the Californian had not heard the distress signals of the Titanic, that ships maintain a 24-hour radio watch. The International Ice Patrol also was established to warn ships of icebergs in the North Atlantic shipping lanes.
Bow of the Titanic, some 400 miles south of Newfoundland, Canada.
On September 1, 1985, the wreck of the Titanic was found lying upright in two pieces on the ocean floor at a depth of about 13,000 feet (4,000 metres). The ship, located at about 41°46′ N 50°14′ W, was subsequently explored several times by manned and unmanned submersibles under the direction of American and French scientists. The expeditions found no sign of the long gash previously thought to have been ripped in the ship's hull by the iceberg. The scientists posited instead that the collision's impact had produced a series of thin gashes as well as brittle fracturing and separation of seams in the adjacent hull plates, thus allowing water to flood in and sink the ship. In subsequent years marine salvagers raised small artifacts from the wreckage and even attempted to lift a large piece of the hull.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by jakesbaba: 4:06pm On Sep 26, 2018
[quote author=Dandsome post=71546781]

Died at the age of 100? They shouldn`t pin the death to respiratory failure and lung cancer abeg. She died of old age.

I tire o....... Must it be cancer all the time. All these oyibo sef
Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by uju22(f): 4:06pm On Sep 26, 2018
I remember watching this film more than 4times
Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by airsaylongcon: 4:06pm On Sep 26, 2018
Everyone is talking about scenes from the movie. How come no one is talking of the soundtrack. The song that made me know that u can cry listening to a song. Hit back to back

6 Likes

Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by boyjo: 4:09pm On Sep 26, 2018
Funny comments on first page grin
Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by kaydan01: 4:10pm On Sep 26, 2018
zinnyzee:
I still get heartbroken whenever i remember titanic was actually shot in a swimming pool.

All dah my tears just waste like that... Choi cry

Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by Amberon1: 4:10pm On Sep 26, 2018
Lmao....you must be kidding. Every normal person who is unbias would know that Kate looks younger and fresher than fresher than Leonardo of now.
Olodo24:
picture of Leo and Kate.... it just proves that women age faster than men. Kate was so cute back then. She still is but Leo looks better with age.

Rose Dawson
Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by Divineluv14(f): 4:10pm On Sep 26, 2018
hahn:

Hian!

I felt like jumping in the ocean after the diamond and then smacking her old face till her head is filled with sense angry

grin grin grin
Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by RillJ(m): 4:12pm On Sep 26, 2018
At is ever innocent.
No matter when and how one dies, something else takes the rap, certainly not age.

Dandsome:

Died at the age of 100? They shouldn`t pin the death to respiratory failure and lung cancer abeg. She died of old age.
Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by GILOSKY(m): 4:14pm On Sep 26, 2018
What a movie
Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by Amberon1: 4:14pm On Sep 26, 2018
Your mama born you well Abeg.
SoNature:
There are three foreign films I will never forget in this life: Titanic, Odyssey and Troy!

3 Likes

Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by profmallor: 4:15pm On Sep 26, 2018
They aged, we also aged.
Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by Nobody: 4:16pm On Sep 26, 2018
kaydan01:

You nor get sense
Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by Amberon1: 4:17pm On Sep 26, 2018
In the world of medicine, old age is not a cause of death.
Dandsome:

Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by boyfwend(m): 4:20pm On Sep 26, 2018
I kow i have not watched this movie. But dont worry, when buhari is kicked out of the office that's wgen i'll watch it...
Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by Hollamie007: 4:29pm On Sep 26, 2018
Am still baffled how avater grossed more than th movie

1 Like

Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by Achorise: 4:32pm On Sep 26, 2018
Getting old is most people,s fear
I wish we could be forever young.
The consequences of sin.
Adam ooo

1 Like

Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by Lawbaron: 4:37pm On Sep 26, 2018
Marvel1206:
I'm among the 0.001% who have not watched this movie
Oya shift, let elders talk
Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by Lawbaron: 4:38pm On Sep 26, 2018
Hollamie007:
Am still baffled how avater grossed more than th movie

Asin ehnn?
Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by steve6: 4:41pm On Sep 26, 2018
Nostalgia...
Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by anigold(m): 4:41pm On Sep 26, 2018
Dandsome:

100 years is magical I wish I can hit that.. God please make it happen
Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by CyberWolf: 4:46pm On Sep 26, 2018
Ayoguy:
''Promise me you wont die Rose, promise me you would die an old woman on your bed'' whoever that wrote those script is not from this world... Best film ever!!!!
It’s a real life story.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by Nobody: 4:49pm On Sep 26, 2018
Explorers:
Alexandrea Owens

9 years old as Sarno Cora Cartmell, the little girl who danced with Leonardo DiCpario.

She's 29 years old now.

She Don marry? I dey find wife.
Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by ChiefSweetus: 4:52pm On Sep 26, 2018
Explorers:
Danny Nucci - Fabrizio

Jack's friend
Sweet boy kiss
Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by Fidelismaria: 4:53pm On Sep 26, 2018
My favourite line : JACK, I WANT YOU TO DRAW ME LIKE THESE, WEARING THIS, WEARING ONLY THIS

1 Like

Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by Hollamie007: 4:53pm On Sep 26, 2018
Ayoguy:
''Promise me you wont die Rose, promise me you would die an old woman on your bed'' whoever that wrote those script is not from this world... Best film ever!!!!

Which script?? True life story from the people concerned
Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by Olodo24: 4:56pm On Sep 26, 2018
hahn:

Hian!

I felt like jumping in the ocean after the diamond and then smacking her old face till her head is filled with sense angry
you dey romantic and emotional at all?
Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by iluvdonjazzy: 4:56pm On Sep 26, 2018
thank God all of them are still alive apart from old rose.
Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by agarawu23(m): 4:56pm On Sep 26, 2018
Dandsome:

i am wondering too. At that old age, autopsy shouldn't be carried out on her. Oyinbo ppl sef.
Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by blingxx(m): 4:58pm On Sep 26, 2018
czarina:
And you don't know it's a crime to not have watched it shocked shocked sad

Me that is even talking...never watched Game of Thrones as popular as that movie.

what tha fvck.... you really need to watch game of thrones undecided
Re: 21 Years After: 'Titanic' Stars Then And Now (Photos) by Olodo24: 5:02pm On Sep 26, 2018
Amberon1:
Lmao....you must be kidding. Every normal person who is unbias would know that Kate looks younger and fresher than fresher than Leonardo of now.
no o. Kate looks older. forget the filtered movies and pictures we see all over the place. Leo is still recognizable as old Jack but Kate now looks entirely different. she's still pretty though

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Angelique Kidjo: I Am From Oyo State In Nigeria / Princess Shyngle: I Removed 5 Ribs And Small Intestines To Achieve My Tiny Waist / Nine Nigerian Celebrities Who Secretly Married Their Spouses, You May Not Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.