Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,238 members, 7,953,893 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:28 AM

Why Am I Not Getting The Job? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Am I Not Getting The Job? (313 Views)

Why Was I Not Picked For This Job? / Would Pass Or Lower Credit Affect Your Chances Of Getting The Job? / Lady Reveals She Slept With A Manager During An Interview And Got The Job! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Am I Not Getting The Job? by dramaticspeak(m): 12:32am On Sep 28, 2018
Good news! You’ve finally landed an interview. Showtime! You’ve arrived ten minutes early, give your firm handshake and answer the interview questions in pristine fashion. 24 hours has passed, you send your thank you note and wait to hear the good news. Sadly it never comes. You replay your efforts to see if there was something that you could have done differently but keep coming up short.

After getting to know candidates during the hiring process, I often get asked this question quite often. "Why am I not getting the job or why wasn't I selected?"

While this list is not all inclusive, I’ve decided to compile a few reasons to help answer these questions. Hopefully, a few minor tweaks may help you score a touchdown after your next interview.

The 3 U’s

Unprepared

One of my pet peeves is to see someone walk into an interview empty handed. Yes, we know you sent the hiring manager a copy of your resume before your interview. Have an extra copy anyway. Have a pen--you may want to take notes. Be prepared to share and receive information from your future employer. Prepare your outfit the night before and dress to impress. Most people will take too many chances with their interviewing attire. This is not the time to be a risk taker. You can’t go wrong with your traditional interview outfit.

Uninformed

Many professionals will provide advice about ensuring you research a company before you go for an interview. This is a piece of advice that I don’t think will ever go out of style. I would like to add that while it’s important to be well informed about the company and its operations, it’s also equally imperative to be well informed about your skills and abilities. If you have made it to the interview, this is the opportune time to explain your successes, failures, recoveries and ability to add value to your future employer. Who better to talk about yourself and your accomplishments than you! Get great at selling yourself! Not overselling, but selling. What makes you great? Write these things down, be prepared to give examples. Being uninformed about a company and its history is bad but being uniformed about yourself?? That’s even worse. (Inserts confused emoji here).

Uninterested
Most candidates will come to an interview, get asked a million questions, provide politically correct answers and believe that will land them the job. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Interviewing is a mutual interactive interaction. You are interviewing the employer as much as they are interviewing you. Be sure that this company and position is a right fit for you and your needs. Asking questions is always a good way to show your interest in a position. Not sure what to ask? (be sure the questions you ask have not been answered previously. If they have, ensure to preface your questions with a need for clarity) Try these:

Would you mind describing the daily activities for this position?
What are some of the traits of a successful employee currently in this role?
Is there currently a career path for this position? (This gives me goosebumps; I can’t wait to talk about this one), If so, can you explain what that looks like?
What are your future goals for this company/department within the next 1-2 years?

It’s pretty normal to be nervous about interviewing. However, don’t allow your nerves to overshadow your ability to interview well. Remember, the interviewers are humans just like you! We’ve all been there.

Now that you have made it to the interview, you have more influence over the process than you think. Take a moment to prepare, become informed, breathe and just be you.

Good Luck!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

APPLY For Sterling Bank Plc One Woman Mentorship Programme 2018 / Fruits Seller Needed On Pre-order Mart / Urgent Vacancy - Corporate Finance Analyst (tax & GL)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.