Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,944 members, 7,952,806 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:41 AM

Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? (58079 Views)

Previous Company Sued Me To Court After I Got Another Job With A Company. / Do Not Apply For Another Job Until You Read This / Is Xyples LLC Another Job Scam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by Fawklicant: 11:53am On Sep 28, 2018
MrBottle:
Good morning y'all,

We need sound advice from you guys.

A cousin got a good job that pays six figures and is expected to start in a week. The few days to commencement of work he received an interview invite from a multinational company that will pay him thrice and other amazing benefits. It is a sort after position and there is no guarantees that he may get in even though he is a bright and an intelligent dude.
He has resigned from his former position and is waiting patiently to start the new work before this interview invitation popped up. What do you suggest he'd do?

....please ....it is quite urgent

He can call in and explore the possibility of rescheduling his interview.
Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by jaxxy(m): 11:55am On Sep 28, 2018
MrBottle:
Good morning y'all,

A cousin got a good job that pays six figures and is expected to start in a week. The few days to commencement of work he received an interview invite from a multinational company that will pay him thrice and other amazing benefits. It is a sort after position and there is no guarantees that he may get in even though he is a bright and an intelligent dude.
He has resigned from his former position and is waiting patiently to start the new work before this interview invitation popped up. What do you suggest he'd do?

He shud start the new job wen he gets to the bridge he will cross it.

I know sm1 who switched jobs 3times in the space of sm months getting a higher level each time. However don’t leave a sure job for an imaginary one.
Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by johnsonedidiong(m): 12:04pm On Sep 28, 2018
Start the job and wait for the invitation off duty can granted for him to tactically attend the interview if he made it he can quite immediately
Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by Exposedforall: 12:04pm On Sep 28, 2018
A bird at hand is worth more than a million in the air
Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by Juliearth(f): 12:12pm On Sep 28, 2018
Billygee2u:
killings goin on now in Rukuba , Plateau State.
Fulanis are on rampage killing people without any security challenge.
May disaster befall those supporting Buhari and APC

Oh my God! You mean Rukuba or Rukuba road?
Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by philip0906(m): 12:23pm On Sep 28, 2018
Fxwarrior:

See ya mouth. Reschedule like unto his papa get the company abi? Is he the only candidate that was invited?
People funny aswear grin grin

1 Like

Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by lollmaolol(m): 12:33pm On Sep 28, 2018
pressplay411:

Does the interview date clash with his day of resumption?

Wisdom is necessary for such situation.
There are two scenarios here;

- Has he signed the letter of employment?
If yes, he cannot afford to dishonour the contract.
Hence he should let go of the other interview and focus on his new job. Since he's bound by the contract to work for a stipulated minimum duration. Opportunities will always come as long as he's improving himself in his new appointment.

-If he's yet to sign a letter of employment, it is actually a bargaining chip that could swing in his favour.
He should call, apologising that he has another interview with so-so company and that he would ensure to resume immediately the next day or if possible after the interiew.
But even here discretion is necessary in the second scenario. He should not sound arrogant but genuinely passionate and sorry about the situation.

Trust me, all things being equal, everything with prayers, he'll be just fine.

Best advice
Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by kennsville(m): 12:51pm On Sep 28, 2018
Call in sick on the day of interview though it's not gonna be good for the record but it's a risk worth takin
Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by Nobody: 12:59pm On Sep 28, 2018
He should look to God for Guidance.

He should make superb use of his brain as well.
Leavinq his "about to start" job for another that reeks of "precariousness" isn't apt really. It's even an "interview", it's not as if they've offered him the job yet.

And who knows?! he miqht end up qettinq that job that momentarily reeks of "precariousness" after all.

He should just go to God.
Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by Originalsly: 1:01pm On Sep 28, 2018
If your cousin is smart indeed he should know what to do.
Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Sep 28, 2018
gaby:
What if it's the new company trying to further test how loyal he could be in his new position?

That will be a gargantuan gbege....

honestly mr gaby u're very intelligent, this is what i was about to say, employers use different tactics these days, i give it to u sir! i pray the guy won't fall into their trap.....
Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Sep 28, 2018
imagine the comments n advise some people are posting on this thread, well i'm not suprised because most Nigerians are very greedy n extremely poor in decision making, it is verified......
Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by protocoll(m): 1:20pm On Sep 28, 2018
pressplay411:

Hence he should let go of the other interview and focus on his new job. Since he's bound by the contract to work for a stipulated minimum duration. Opportunities will always come as long as he's improving himself in his new appointment.

-If he's yet to sign a letter of employment, it is actually a bargaining chip that could swing in his favour.
He should call, apologising that he has another interview with so-so company and that he would ensure to resume immediately the next day or if possible after the interiew.
But even here discretion is necessary in the second scenario. He should not sound arrogant but genuinely passionate and sorry about the situation.

SOUND MIND...NICE ONE
Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by 1Bishop(m): 1:23pm On Sep 28, 2018
My friend, tell your cousin to go and resume the new job s/he just got. The other one is a DISTRACTION! A bird in hand is worth more than 10 in the bush.
Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by mechanics(m): 1:25pm On Sep 28, 2018
pressplay411:

Nice one.
Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by Cyriloha(m): 1:26pm On Sep 28, 2018
Well just listen to this

One bird at haND is better than millions of birds in forest
Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by gaby(m): 1:34pm On Sep 28, 2018
Turkeelex:

honestly mr gaby u're very intelligent, this is what i was about to say, employers use different tactics these days, i give it to u sir! i pray the guy won't fall into their trap.....

Lol..thanks Turkeelex

I've used same tactic in the past and the applicant fell yakata
Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by collum(m): 1:44pm On Sep 28, 2018
it is a trap oh by his new employer. he should reject the invitation.
my company does that when will employ a new staff into a very sensitive position.

1 Like

Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by oyejideogunjumo: 1:45pm On Sep 28, 2018
askibee:
now this is a serious issue but if it where me this is what I will do.

get a paper and a biro,check my risk level an write it down, check my chances with the new invite and weigh it very well an write my conclusion down. I will go away from any distraction for two good days for a retreat pray and receive direction from God. I will definitely get an answer very simple.
Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by oyejideogunjumo: 1:48pm On Sep 28, 2018
Integrity matters here. Job is hard to get byr. He should not gamble. Take the first offer and prayerfully wait for opportunity in futire after all he didn't know these will come his way.
Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by Nwanna2588: 2:05pm On Sep 28, 2018
A bird in the hand worths two in the bush.
Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by ebonflexy(m): 2:14pm On Sep 28, 2018
This is a very simple something.

Continue with the job he is about to start in a week, but still go interview for the multinational one.

Who in their right mind would abort a for sure job over a bloody interview?
Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by ebonflexy(m): 2:17pm On Sep 28, 2018
collum:
it is a trap oh by his new employer. he should reject the invitation.
my company does that when will employ a new staff into a very sensitive position.

LOL nigerian companies are funny.
This "trap" is stupid because the only reason an employee works with you is because you can pay them, not because of some false sense of loyalty.

The employer himself is not loyal to the employee, as in naija, every one is expendable.

So that's just a bitch move by said employee.

But honestly, Nigerians really should be about using the internet to make money.
Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by Mokhay(m): 2:29pm On Sep 28, 2018
always remember this, the glittering wrap of a gift tells you nothing of what's inside!

stay with what you have
Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by realityone(m): 2:31pm On Sep 28, 2018
[Find a job, save from it to start the business. This is more dignifying and responsible than begging in public...quote author=herkanbz post=71600579]Good morning fellow nairalands, i am abdulrasheed, from ilorin currently a OND holder of business administration from kwara state polytechnic. the main reason for my post is to solicit for financial assistance from well meaning Nigeria to start my dream business. i know alot will castigate me to go and look for work, which i have tried my best but the pay of less than #10,000 they are offering me is below my expectations because i am staying alone, feeding myself, paying bills before thinking of saving
please i am pleading to those who can help me.
i have the intention of selling female sandals and palms with a startup capital of #20,000.
please donate to assist me, no amount is small.
my account number 2070856547 U. B. A BANK
THANKS [/quote]
Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by lastclaire4(f): 3:06pm On Sep 28, 2018
gaby:
What if it's the new company trying to further test how loyal he could be in his new position?

That will be a gargantuan gbege....
Na lie don't bring that. He sent his cv to that new company. Let us assume it is the new company, a company should know that no staff will be there forever and that employees need to do what is best for them. Are you telling me that if the company is to right size they will consider him, It is the good of the company first before anything. So employees too, should consider themselves first.
But hope your company treats you fine. I read your other post. Why will you be afraid somebody will leave you if the condition is right? All these overzealous hr people.
Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by lastclaire4(f): 3:14pm On Sep 28, 2018
ebonflexy:
This is a very simple something.

Continue with the job he is about to start in a week, but still go interview for the multinational one.

Who in their right mind would abort a for sure job over a bloody interview?

Tell me o. Many people are saying he shouldn't think of going for the interview.
Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by AyoEniafe(m): 3:39pm On Sep 28, 2018
Badooguy:
If the date are the same, let him take excuse from the new job to resume the next day.

THIS IS THE BEST ADVICE SO FAR!!

LET HIM CALL THEM THAT HE'LL BE RESUMING THE DAY FOLLOWING THE RESUMPTION DATE!! wink wink wink THAT HE HAS A TRAINING FOR THAT RESUMPTION DATE!!(I'M SURE HE'LL LEARN ONE OR TWO THINGS DURING THE INTERVIEW SO IT'S NOT A LIE)
Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by obinto: 3:48pm On Sep 28, 2018
MrBottle:
Good morning y'all,

Some important questions. Are the 2 jobs in the same city? what is the likelihood that the other interview will require a follow up(s) interviews? depending on the answers to these questions, i will walk into the new job before resumption and sit down with the manager and explain that he has been in a race for time to ensure he resumes on said date but there are a few challenges( insert your excuses or reason but do not mention any interview). Request for a day or couple days to be fully ready. They should be able to grant him the request. However if the other job will need repeat appearances, then it would reflect poorly on him if he starts missing work days soon after being hired. good luck
Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by Bryan88(m): 4:33pm On Sep 28, 2018
blessedweapon:
A breast at hand is more than two in the bra.
not a bird at hand again? unu di kwa egwu o
Re: Should He Leave His New Job For Another Job Interview? by tunize(m): 4:43pm On Sep 28, 2018
Sometimes is not alwayz about the money but the "meaning" ur cousin should jst be careful with his decision though cos i believe he knows what he wants.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Who Graduated With First Class From UK University Cries Out For Job. Photos / How To Write Your Name Officially / Direct Short Service (nigerian Customs Is Out: )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.