Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,897 members, 7,814,035 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? (17802 Views)

16 Ways To Choose A Wife, According To The Bible / Catholicism's SHOCKING Attitude Toward The Bible! / Is This Where Jesus Endorsed Asoebi In The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by lovedayugo(m): 6:08am On Sep 30, 2018
Using a surrogate mother to bear children for a childless couple is as old as the story of Abraham and Sarah in Genesis chapter 16. Sarah could not bear children, so she gave her servant, Hagar, to Abraham so she could have his children. This was a common practice at the time, since a childless woman was shamed by her friends and family. This story is the closest the Bible comes to what we call “traditional surrogacy” today, where the mother is impregnated with the sperm of a man—often one whose wife is incapable of producing eggs—usually by means of artificial insemination. Also practiced today is “gestational surrogacy” which involves transplantation of an already-conceived embryo containing the sperm and egg from a couple. In this case, the surrogate’s role is simply that of a carrier, which was not the case with Hagar.

We learn from Hagar’s story that using a surrogate parent has the possibility to cause pain, heartache, and confusion. One problem that arose with Hagar is that she did not want to give her child over to Sarah when it was born. This can still happen today, as women discover that giving away their children (despite financial compensation) can cause immeasurable pain because of the bond that forms between the pregnant mother and the child she is carrying, even before it is born.

The Bible does not forbid the use of a surrogate parent but raises questions as to whether or not it is ethical. Marriage is designed to be between two people, and children are to be born of that union (Genesis 1:28, 2:24). To bring in a third party means that the child will have a third parent. Then there may arise difficult questions, such as will the baby know its surrogate mother? Will there be visitation? How will the child be expected to feel about the surrogate mother, and will there be jealousy? All these issues should be prayerfully considered before a Christian couple uses a surrogate. Couples who use a family member as surrogate can often head off problems before they arise if the surrogate has a strong bond with the couple and has their welfare and that of their child at heart.

The Bible says that children are a gift, not a right (Psalm 127:3). Just as God blesses some people with wealth and success, He blesses some with children and others not. Using a surrogate out of arrogant defiance of God would be a sin, but using a surrogate after prayerful consideration and a time of seeking God’s will and guidance may be a viable alternative for the childless. In all we do, we must examine our hearts and the Holy Spirit for truth. “Whatever you eat or drink or whatever you do, you must do all for the glory of God” (1 Corinthians 10:31).

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/www.gotquestions.org/amp/surrogate-mother.html

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by Ionkidiz(m): 6:28am On Sep 30, 2018
Pardon me, i didn't read to the end. I'll complete it later

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by chiommy123(f): 7:01am On Sep 30, 2018
I think adoption is better no much drama. You may not know his/ her mum and she may not know you too you concentrate and train the child without unnecessary drama

6 Likes

Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by Nobody: 8:38am On Sep 30, 2018
these religious zealots again you people will not kill somebody.

9 Likes

Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by NWANICHODE: 8:38am On Sep 30, 2018
J
Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by SeriouslySense(m): 8:39am On Sep 30, 2018
we always act like we are holier than others.

5 Likes

Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by Hoodbilonia: 8:40am On Sep 30, 2018
i want to run a documentary
on ppls last words before they pass on to determine if they saw heaven,angels coming down or if they saw fire.
cause dis God. here in naija wtf
na confusion be our beliefs
before christ came nko
if dem enter yankee now
see pastor wey burst ear
plait hair
get tatoo
u go bind am say end times
dnt watch tv na sin
dnt sit near woman in church. na sin
africa oops i meant nigeria is far from civilization

2 Likes

Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by surrogatesng: 8:41am On Sep 30, 2018
Nothing wrong there.If you need a surrogate mother visit https://www.facebook.com/nigeriansurrogatemothers/
Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by Nobody: 8:46am On Sep 30, 2018
Una don come again there was no surrogacy den abeg
Abraham fuked her end off. Todays own is mostly implantation of egg . What does thr bible say about mobile phones nonsense

8 Likes

Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by Juell(m): 8:47am On Sep 30, 2018
I don't see anything wrong with it, cos the surrogate mother is only carrying the child till maturity. There are cases of friends or even family members serving as surrogates. The example u're taking from the bible cannot be seen as a case of surrogacy, cos Abraham slept with her. Incase of surrogacy in this present age, the surrogate mother's egg is not involved, she only carries a fertilized egg from the couple.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by mykemiley(f): 8:48am On Sep 30, 2018
Ionkidiz:
Lazy somebori

1 Like

Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by Olodo24: 8:49am On Sep 30, 2018
Ionkidiz:

1 Like

Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by LadiIshola(m): 8:50am On Sep 30, 2018
How you people comfortably twist bible verses for your wretched interpretations disgust me.
End time preachers
Moreover, artificial insemination and polygamy are different from surrogacy.

11 Likes

Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by dhardline(m): 8:52am On Sep 30, 2018
You already stated God's will which is clearly indicated in the

Bible. Marriage should be between one man and one woman any

other addition is no longer God's will and praying to hear from

God to change that is just being mischievous. The passage you

quoted is clearly the major reason the world is the way it is

today with so many terrorists moving around. Doing the will of

God is not always easy but one thing we should know is that it is

always for our best irrespective of the pain we may feel.

So please do not encourage the destruction of the family unit

which consist of only man-wife-child/children.

2 Likes

Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by LadiIshola(m): 8:54am On Sep 30, 2018
yeyerolling:
Una don come again there was no surrogacy den abeg
Abraham fuked her end off. Todays own is mostly implantation of egg . What does thr bible say about mobile phones nonsense

Lol maybe we should continue to use pigeons and donkeys like those times
Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by Truman155(m): 8:57am On Sep 30, 2018
Is this a special attack directed at Linda ikeji?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by sanpipita(m): 9:07am On Sep 30, 2018
In all this the op didn't state where and how bible outlawed surrogacy

1 Like

Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by chocboi78(m): 9:13am On Sep 30, 2018
The rate of publishing long sermons ND write-ups on baseless topics here on NL is alarming o... Where did d bible speak against it
Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by BillgatesMaigad(m): 9:15am On Sep 30, 2018
Happy Sunday guys

Shalom!
Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by AdelG: 9:15am On Sep 30, 2018
Bible twisters are here again. People just twist the bible to justify their claims...they even tell you "this is what God meant" as if their God is dumb and can't tell us what he meant...My God is not the author of confusion, his words are simple and clear, his instructions are direct and cannot be tampered with.

If God tells you this is yellow, he meants yellow...Dont let the devil confuse you by telling you God meant purple because their was no purple when God said that..Remember, God is the ancient of days, he changeth NOT.

3 Likes

Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by wonyi: 9:16am On Sep 30, 2018
Juell:
I don't see anything wrong with it, cos the surrogate mother is only carrying the child till maturity. There are cases of friends or even family members serving as surrogates. The example u're taking from the bible cannot be seen as a case of surrogacy, cos Abraham slept with her. Incase of surrogacy in this present age, the surrogate mother's egg is not involved, she only carries a fertilized egg from the couple.

You spoke those words out of my mouth. Am I permitted to say Mary was a surrogate mother to Jesus? The idea of surrogacy started long ago. Jesus needed to come in human form. He needed a mother. Without sexual intercourse Our blessed Mary conceived. At the right time, Jesus started his work on earth.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by AreaFada2: 9:19am On Sep 30, 2018
KillaBeauty:
these religious zealots again you people will not kill somebody.

With the way we go about religion, you'd think Nigeria would be a serene paradise full of innocent, law-abiding and selfless people. Alas the opposite is the case. shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by emmychina: 9:30am On Sep 30, 2018
Gbam!!!, u just nailed it ur sense dey there lol
Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by HomeOfMe(f): 9:32am On Sep 30, 2018
lovedayugo:

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/s/www.gotquestions.org/amp/surrogate-mother.html
The surrogacy practiced now is quite different. The doctor acts as intermediary between the childless couple and the surrogate mother. Most times you don't need to know who the woman is as long as your doctor has guaranteed you that the surrogate woman is healthy and would give birth to a healthy baby.
Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by emmychina: 9:33am On Sep 30, 2018
Linda ikeji here they come for you lol
Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by Nobody: 9:37am On Sep 30, 2018
Surrogate for Bible again?

Maybe we shouldnt use cars since its not found in the bible

2 Likes

Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by d4gmail: 9:42am On Sep 30, 2018
Wetin concern Bible with technology?
Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by Nobody: 9:45am On Sep 30, 2018
A Christian can not take part in surrogacy without committing sin.

It is morally and ethically wrong.

The same law that condemns IVF is also applicable to surrogacy.

Fertilization of the egg outside the body of the female, or harvesting already fertilized egg from a female's body or keeping of a human female's egg in a refrigerator for whatever purpose and intent is unethical and immoral and abominable.

Like the OP opined, having children is a gift not a right.

Experiments abound these days with "mad" scientists taking advantage of the availability of embryos and unfertilized eggs to tinker with nature, trying to produce cross breed between humans and lower animals, fertilizing eggs and culturing them so that they can harvest the embryo's body parts for sale in medical circles.

Man has truly gone astray.

4 Likes

Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by lumzybo: 9:45am On Sep 30, 2018
Total rubbish. Keep twisting the Bible. Na una go tire

1 Like

Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by Diso60090(m): 9:48am On Sep 30, 2018
wonyi:

You spoke those words out of my mouth. Am I permitted to say Mary was a surrogate mother to Jesus? The idea of surrogacy started long ago. Jesus needed to come in human form. He needed a mother. Without sexual intercourse Our blessed Mary conceived. At the right time, Jesus started his work on earth.

You dont meit you mean all this happened in your present � take that gift
Re: Surrogate Mother: What Does The Bible Say? by paymentvoucher: 10:05am On Sep 30, 2018
shocked

(1) (2) (Reply)

Father Mbaka Continues His Charity Work For The Poor, Gives Them Cheque (Pics) / TB Joshua Prophesied Colorado Cinema Shooting / The Evidence For The Resurrection Of Jesus Christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.