Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,488 members, 7,819,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:55 PM

Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia - Travel (46) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia (124312 Views)

Video Of Stranded Nigerians, Africans At Ukraine/Poland Border / American, US Based, And US Aspirant Derailer Thread / Toni Iwobi: I Will Deport Nigerians, Africans Without Papers In Italy" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (70) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Guruindahouse(m): 4:50pm On May 18, 2019
Bro, the country has never been this bad. First class graduates are even teaching in a private schools earning 30k naira/month. Is it not better to go to another man's land to do 4th class job and earn several hundreds of thousand of naira?

Only few graduates are lucky to get that lucrative jobs in Nigeria these days.

Nigeria is in deep mess!
olioxx:

I wonder how an intelligent young Naija citizen will go to another country and be doing 4th class job?

6 Likes

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by olioxx(m): 10:10pm On May 18, 2019
Guruindahouse:
Is it not better to go to another man's land to do 4th class job and earn several hundreds of thousand of naira?

Nigeria is in deep mess!
I hope you factor in currency valuation.
The money earned from doing menial jobs are high in the Naira because of the foreign currency having a higher value. If you do menial jobs abroad,the person is likely to live paycheck to paycheck, remember bills, high cost of living, and taxes.
I am not against anyone advocating menial jobs in foreign lands, but I believe that if you know your job well and if you have an indemand skill, omor na foreign jobs go dey rush you.
I know people who left Naija and didnt do menial jobs, but instead got an offer, albeit they are all IT jobs.

1 Like

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by olioxx(m): 10:30pm On May 18, 2019
olioxx:

I know people who left Naija and didnt do menial jobs, but instead got an offer, albeit they are all IT jobs.
Let me explain further
You dont necessarily need to be an IT guru, the point is: be good in what you do and polish your skill well, if you have to, learn a language.

2 Likes

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by ibrahimovic303: 6:28am On May 19, 2019
All this menial job clamour on this our thread just dey make me smile here sef smiley cos frankly speaking, before you leave Naija you really have to tell yourself what you want or else when you arrive Europe or elsewhere na confusion go rush you....You gaz tell yourself if you want money or career.... here in Finland, I have several Naija and African friends driving Uber and taxi and even making way more than my monthly salary as a full stack developer...The only thing is I work from 8am till 4pm weekdays, whereas they work round the clock and weekends, infact these set of guys get money pass career people by far...So the question or bottomline now is "wetin you want"? angry Even in Canada, many Nigerians who actually want money are abandoning office jobs to go do menial jobs...As for me, as soon as I close office work, I dey comot my office clothes inside my car sef grin then change to my rags to go do my evening cleaning jobs... undecided

Time nor dey...When I fall in Naija dey spend my bar, las las na only me one know as e dey sup for the Europe sad

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by DemigodZeus147(m): 9:17am On May 19, 2019
ibrahimovic303:
All this menial job clamour on this our thread just dey make me smile here sef smiley cos frankly speaking, before you leave Naija you really have to tell yourself what you want or else when you arrive Europe or elsewhere na confusion go rush you....You gaz tell yourself if you want money or career.... here in Finland, I have several Naija and African friends driving Uber and taxi and even making way more than my monthly salary as a full stack developer...The only thing is I work from 8am till 4pm weekdays, whereas they work round the clock and weekends, infact these set of guys get money pass career people by far...So the question or bottomline now is "wetin you want"? angry Even in Canada, many Nigerians who actually want money are abandoning office jobs to go do menial jobs...As for me, as soon as I close office work, I dey comot my office clothes inside my car sef grin then change to my rags to go do my evening cleaning jobs... undecided

Time nor dey...When I fall in Naija dey spend my bar, las las na only me one know as e dey sup for the Europe sad

I concur... Same thing here for naija. You see those Agbero guys for road wey people the downgrade, they make money pass most people wey the work for office.

7 Likes

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by ibrahimovic303: 9:22am On May 19, 2019
DemigodZeus147:

I concur... Same thing here for naija. You see those Agbero guys for road wey people the downgrade, they make money pass most people wey the work for office.

Yes na...Even those our mamas wey dey sell food dey collect money pass many people wey dey wear coat for some establishments...Na same thing for Europe and the West generally...those things wey u go comot eye say na menial work na dey pay pass lasan...My paddyman in Tampere got an exclusive cleaning job where they clean the homes of wealthy Finns daily, when I hear this guy per hour pay sef, I come dey reason to stop office work completely sef.. undecided cos me I am here for the money, to build my own personal brand and empire lasan...

9 Likes

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by frontliner065(m): 10:10am On May 19, 2019
ibrahimovic303:

Yes na...Even those our mamas wey dey sell food dey collect money pass many people wey dey wear coat for some establishments...Na same thing for Europe and the West generally...those things wey u go comot eye say na menial work na dey pay pass lasan...My paddyman in Tampere got an exclusive cleaning job where they clean the homes of wealthy Finns daily, when I hear this guy per hour pay sef, I come dey reason to stop office work completely sef.. undecided cos me I am here for the money, to build my own personal brand and empire lasan...

Ibrahimovic303, drop your email address or buzz me asap, pls. We need to see/talk
Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by ibrahimovic303: 11:47am On May 19, 2019
frontliner065:

Ibrahimovic303, drop your email address or buzz me asap, pls. We need to see/talk

ok...pm me here normally
Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by murphy02(m): 2:38pm On May 19, 2019
Hadampson:

See boss

Poland is underrated. People talk as if there is nothing good about that country.

As a student in Poland, you can apply for holiday work visa to USA

Bros, what's the weather like and the people are friendly?
Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by olioxx(m): 7:14pm On May 19, 2019
ibrahimovic303:

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Thegamingorca(m): 9:28pm On May 19, 2019
Lasan grin
Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Goztino(m): 10:47pm On May 19, 2019
Guruindahouse:
The only positive thing about Portugal is that, it is part of EU and their residence permit/visa can be used to travel within Schegen zones. Its a dead zone in term of job opportunities. Comparing Portugal to Norway is like comparing Canada with Mexico.

Are you going for studies? If the answer is yes, the thing about Norway is that, it's difficult to stay there after your graduation because the immigration rule is that you must get related job in your study area before work permit can be given to you. Let me state that while studying and doing part time job(menial job) in Norway, I am pretty sure that you will save reasonable amount of money during this period.

To be Frank, in most of these countries, it's extremely difficult to get professional jobs without a very good ability to speak their languages. However, if you are into IT and know your onions, you stand a better chance.

NB: UK has started giving six-month post study visa.

Good evening guru himself, I just stumped on the thread and I have been reading it since morning, by God's grace I will be in Germany this year for my Msc in applied Geoscience at RWTH Aachen University,Germany.
Normally Germany gives you 18 months to look for jobs related to your course and immediately you get one, your road to permanent residency just got activated.
From the information I get, getting a professional job after Msc ain't easy, that's why I have started learning their language online while in Nigeria and I plan going into IT field in order not to carry all my eggs in one basket.
Which of these IT field is needed in Europe and won't be hard to learn?
I am contemplating going into networking as I have no experience in programming and really, it appears so boring to me
Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Goztino(m): 11:10pm On May 19, 2019
ibrahimovic303:
Regarding those that their minds are not made up as to which country they should migrate to, just take a bold step based on your resources...But bear in mind that migrating to any country in Europe besides the UK presents language barrier issues and of course, racism....So you have to be extra motivated, smart and possess one mind to advance your goals here...I will not tell that here is all heaven, but be ready to work hard...I mean hard...Before I got to where I am, I had even done cleaning jobs, dish washing etc...I know how many families in Naija that my salaries from those jobs helped and the prayers, before I landed an IT job...If you are not even motivated in Nigeria you cannot be here, because if your papers are right, you can be getting welfare benefits and just start living a laid back life, before you know it you are 50....Even in that Naija, na shoes I been dey sell for Festac and Abuja plus bricklaying sef sometimes...Na only God and my close paddymen from this thread from Festac understand sha....This is why I cannot rest here even.

Life na your ginger las las plus small jara in form of grace from the big man upstairs...

But wetin I know sef? angry

I must say that you are doing a wonderful job here Ibra.
I am admitted for a masters degree in Germany and this news about IT being in great demand in Europe has really made me willing to have a foot there too.
Can you recommend the best way to go about it?
I really wanna get a professional job upon graduation in Germany

1 Like

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by ibrahimovic303: 3:01am On May 20, 2019
Goztino:

I must say that you are doing a wonderful job here Ibra.
I am admitted for a masters degree in Germany and this news about IT being in great demand in Europe has really made me willing to have a foot there too.
Can you recommend the best way to go about it?
I really wanna get a professional job upon graduation in Germany

PM me
Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Guruindahouse(m): 4:37am On May 20, 2019
To quickly answer your question, software development and data analysis is very popular these days. I am not sure about networking though, note that I am not an IT guy myself. I will suggest that you go to German job portals such as www.indeed.de and see for yourself jobs (IT) that are numerous there.
Goztino:

Good evening guru himself, I just stumped on the thread and I have been reading it since morning, by God's grace I will be in Germany this year for my Msc in applied Geoscience at RWTH Aachen University,Germany.
Normally Germany gives you 18 months to look for jobs related to your course and immediately you get one, your road to permanent residency just got activated.
From the information I get, getting a professional job after Msc ain't easy, that's why I have started learning their language online while in Nigeria and I plan going into IT field in order not to carry all my eggs in one basket.
I am contemplating going into networking as I have no experience in programming and really, it appears so boring to me

2 Likes

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Ggetter50: 1:43pm On May 20, 2019
olioxx:

Regarding wages in relation to cost of living and taxes, I will say, Estonia.
For Quality of Life, Finland
Finland has some really high taxes.
I don't know what you mean by quality of life in your own word, but I must tell you that both countries have good quality of life.
Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Goztino(m): 10:42am On May 21, 2019
Guruindahouse:
To quickly answer your question, software development and data analysis is very popular these days. I am not sure about networking though, note that I am not an IT guy myself. I will suggest that you go to German job portals such as www.indeed.de and see for yourself jobs (IT) that are numerous there.

Thanks bro
Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Goztino(m): 10:45am On May 21, 2019
ibrahimovic303:

PM me

I just did now, thanks
Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Ggetter50: 1:08pm On May 21, 2019
olioxx:

I hope you factor in currency valuation.
The money earned from doing menial jobs are high in the Naira because of the foreign currency having a higher value. If you do menial jobs abroad,the person is likely to live paycheck to paycheck, remember bills, high cost of living, and taxes.
I am not against anyone advocating menial jobs in foreign lands, but I believe that if you know your job well and if you have an indemand skill, omor na foreign jobs go dey rush you.
Smiles, different persons with different luck. Even in Nigeria, not everyone that is excel in their profession get what they want. You are a little bit far from reality with the menial job. I just want to tell everyone that you should zero your expectations and be ready to start from somewhere. Like a Yoruba adage says " Ojó tabá ga kóni ama kan òrun" which means you don't grow to reach your final height in one day.

The same menial job is what many people are doing and they are king when they come home. Again, it is not true that you live on paycheck to paycheck, not all menial jobs are like that. Many menial jobs can pay your rent and still have savings. Come to Finland, many grown up men are doing menial jobs, yet they have had their own home with exotic car and still doing lots of projects back home. Do you know what it takes to have home abroad? It is not easy anywhere, it's just determination, hardwork, and God's favour.

In a nutshell, zero your expectations anywhere you are heading to, be it US, UK, Canada or Aussie.

All the best.

8 Likes

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Ggetter50: 1:17pm On May 21, 2019
ibrahimovic303:

You have written well...Just know this that the change begins with me and you towards making the Nigeria of our dreams..As for me, I proudly tell everyone here that I am a Nigerian and they are so proud because I have tried to start the change in my own little way...
Boss, thanks. Sure, there is no place like home. A times, It's very hard to deny your motherland once you see flaws of all these developed countries too.

All is well.
Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by Gerardmajella(m): 11:55pm On May 21, 2019
Goztino:

Thought to share this
https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2019/05/21/44076-nigerians-denied-visas-to-schengen-countries-in-2018/
Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by olioxx(m): 5:21pm On May 23, 2019
Ggetter50:

I don't know what you mean by quality of life in your own word, but I must tell you that both countries have good quality of life.
True.
But on the plus side, Finland have better QoL than Estonia.
Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by olioxx(m): 5:28pm On May 23, 2019
Ggetter50:

Smiles, different persons with different luck. Even in Nigeria, not everyone that is excel in their profession get what they want. You are a little bit far from reality with the menial job. I just want to tell everyone that you should zero your expectations and be ready to start from somewhere. Like a Yoruba adage says " Ojó tabá ga kóni ama kan òrun" which means you don't grow to reach your final height in one day.

The same menial job is what many people are doing and they are king when they come home. Again, it is not true that you live on paycheck to paycheck, not all menial jobs are like that. Many menial jobs can pay your rent and still have savings. Come to Finland, many grown up men are doing menial jobs, yet they have had their own home with exotic car and still doing lots of projects back home. Do you know what it takes to have home abroad? It is not easy anywhere, it's just determination, hardwork, and God's favour.

In a nutshell, zero your expectations anywhere you are heading to, be it US, UK, Canada or Aussie.

All the best.
Nice write up...
But I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
You spoke ur mind and I appreciate that.
Cheerio.
Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by olioxx(m): 5:34pm On May 23, 2019
Goztino:

Look bro, even in networking you will need programming experience. Have you heard of Python 3x, Bash, Linux, Shell? All these are tools of a Network Engineer.
Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by IchBinBrait(m): 5:47pm On May 23, 2019
Guruindahouse:
Trust me on this, there is no better country to move to other than English-speaking country if you are ambitious as a Nigerian. I will say also that IT guys are aslo getting better jobs in Europe after their studies. For me, life is not all about making bucks only but how I make it. Besides Ireland and UK in Europe, if you are not fluent in their native languages, life is gonna be tough. You can only understand when you are there.

About UK, please let us give them kudos. Do you know when they had been issueing post-study visas to Nigerian(and other NON EU CITIZENS) before things changed? They have tried my brother. Go to London and see for yourself how many Nigerians have established themselves there. Majority of them studied and graduated in UK before thier immigration law get stricter in 2014 or so. Talking about German tuition free system, do you know that Sweden and Finland have been doing it for many years but stopped it? Believe me, Germany can stop it as well at any time to regulate their migration.

If our country is good enough, this kind of thread may not be opened. Canada, Aussie that have different immigration programs right now can stop it at anytime and there is nothing we will do about it.

My brother, I am only here to help with information that people may lack. I will say that I got all your points but its sad that Nigeria is such in deep mess that we are looking for greener pasture anywhere these days.

Thanks for this.

1 Like

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by olioxx(m): 5:57pm On May 23, 2019
Guruindahouse:
Bro, the country has never been this bad. First class graduates are even teaching in a private schools earning 30k naira/month. Is it not better to go to another man's land to do 4th class job and earn several hundreds of thousand of naira?

Only few graduates are lucky to get that lucrative jobs in Nigeria these days.

Nigeria is in deep mess!
The old way is expiring bro.
Those graduate with meagre salaries are their own problem. We are in a JET age where you need skill(s) to supplement yourself.
I once worked a 50k per month job, but I considered the job thrash. I resigned with no predefined job(s). I hone my skill, I learnt from a teacher, and I am a proud tech guy today with decent compensation.
Look those few graduates that have lucrative jobs are those that have an indemand skill(s), and the companies are ready to dole out the cash on em.
Yes Nigeria is usless, but even with that you are not hindered to learn a skill(s) today and enjoy the blessings tomorrow.
NO PAIN NO GAIN...
I am open to constructive critism.

1 Like

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by olioxx(m): 6:16pm On May 23, 2019
ibrahimovic303:

Bro Ibro, las las na skill(s).
In Western world, craftmen with the skills are earning the cash.
Just have a skill and you will be fine.
But Ibro dont call these menial jobs, they are just skills you possess.
Ok if I am a Barber(Hair stylist), will you say I'm doing menial job. NO!
Menial jobs entails: Cleaners, Waste/Refuge parking workers, etc.
But if you are a bricklayer, hair styling, tailor or fashion designer, you ain't doing menial, but you have a skill.
So let's make the difference clear.

1 Like

Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by ugnoble: 8:21pm On May 23, 2019
My Oga dem in the house, I greet una wella. I've been following this thread jejely and I must confess I'm truly inspired. Now I have some questions I'd like some unbiased and genuine answers.

One of my friends is seeking an advice from me regards to travels and I want to know where I'd advice him to go. I think I like Estonia due to a few recommendations here but I'm open to suggestions. Now, the issue at hand is funds and he wouldn't want to go the study route(because of the fund issh). He's currently serving but want to start making plans. So I want to know other 'easier' ways to travel except study and its possible procedures if you have clues. Lest I forget too, he was having thoughts opting for arraigned marriage too if it'll be possible too.

Thanks in advance for your detailed inputs.
Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by olioxx(m): 8:58pm On May 23, 2019
ugnoble:
My Oga dem in the house, I greet una wella. I've been following this thread jejely and I must confess I'm truly inspired. Now I have some questions I'd like some unbiased and genuine answers.

One of my friends is seeking an advice from me regards to travels and I want to know where I'd advice him to go. I think I like Estonia due to a few recommendations here but I'm open to suggestions. Now, the issue at hand is funds and he wouldn't want to go the study route(because of the fund issh). He's currently serving but want to start making plans. So I want to know other 'easier' ways to travel except study and its possible procedures if you have clues. Lest I forget too, he was having thoughts opting for arraigned marriage too if it'll be possible too.

Thanks in advance for your detailed inputs.
Why you too dey lie likdis?
Is your friend you?
Is you your friend?
You better speak for yourself.
Anyways Estonia is a good country, try student route, and make sure you study relevant course oo, dont comma be telling us you are studying Banking & Surgery, Cassava Management, Finance & Agriculture.
Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by ugnoble: 9:12pm On May 23, 2019
olioxx:

Why you too dey lie likdis?
Is your friend you?
Is you your friend?
You better speak for yourself.
Anyways Estonia is a good country, try student route, and make sure you study relevant course oo, dont comma be telling us you are studying Banking & Surgery, Cassava Management, Finance & Agriculture.

Lol... Baba no be me ooo. Na person send me. But na that figure something dey give man bp.
Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by olioxx(m): 9:17pm On May 23, 2019
ugnoble:

Lol... Baba no be me ooo. Na person send me. But na that figure something dey give man bp.
I understand, but no just wahala yourself, the money matter na small thing, the important thing say, just dey committed to your goal. Las las garri go hold water.
Re: Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia by ugnoble: 9:22pm On May 23, 2019
olioxx:

I understand, but no just wahala yourself, the money matter na small thing, the important thing say, just dey committed to your goal. Las las garri go hold water.

We pray so baba. So, since you also advice opting for estonia, can you tell me the average cost for rounding up the whole stuff? And which vocational skill can one learn to help matter there. Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (70) (Reply)

Pictures Of Dana Air Crash Victims / 44 Countries You Can Travel To With No Visa From Nigeria. / Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.