Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,412 members, 7,819,473 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:56 PM

Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! (11152 Views)

All You Need To Know About Brake Pads - 4 Types Of Brake Pads / Effects Of Brake Fluid On Car Paint And How To Extract It / Fluid Specs Q & A Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! by AutoElectNG: 6:13pm On Oct 01, 2018
When last did you do a drain and replace?

Brake Fluid Flush (aka Drain and Replace)
Re: Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! by Pitokwe(m): 6:28pm On Oct 01, 2018
Is there a need to drain?? I was thinking if it not up to gauge,You just top up

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! by AutoElectNG: 6:59pm On Oct 01, 2018
Pitokwe:
Is there a need to drain?? I was thinking if it not up to gauge,You just top up

What car are we talking about here so I will respond with facts and figures

1 Like

Re: Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! by AutoElectNG: 9:13pm On Oct 01, 2018
Brake fluid also has viscosity!
Re: Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! by AutoElectNG: 2:35am On Oct 02, 2018
Mercedes Benz and Brake Fluid Flush (aka Drain and Replace)

1 Like

Re: Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! by AutoElectNG: 2:40am On Oct 02, 2018
Honda on Brake Fluid Flush (aka Drain and Replace)

Re: Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! by AutoElectNG: 2:48am On Oct 02, 2018
Reason for thread:

Customer complaint, after repeated hard stops, brake pedal travel increases tremendously

Reason: too much moisture in the brake fluid causing it to turn into gas and making it compressible, gas is compressible, liquid far less so! As a result total loss of braking power, even replacing brake pads did not make a difference...full braking force returned as soon as the brake fluid cooled down

To avoid a situation like this, consult your manufacturer manual and replace brake fluid as per their specifications or using a commonsense schedule of every 20,000 miles or 2 years to be safe

If you are paranoid, you can replace it sooner, by sooner as soon as you notice the brake fluid has boiled, it also means that your brake fluid would have lost some of its effectiveness and also by extension, you have also lost braking power/ability.

Could this be the reason for some accidents on our roads?

The mechanic he consulted suggested that the brake fluid is ok and that the ABS is faulty and should be disconnected.

Could this also be one reason why brake components could fail and require their replacement?

Food for thought and remember, a driver is only good if he can stop the vehicle at any and all times and that job is done by brake components of which the brake fluid is a very necessary soft part which should never be taken for granted!

Engine oil does not necessarily go bad after 3,000 or 5,000 miles yet many change it, but many never consider changing brake fluid...is that not a rather worrying contradiction in service practices?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! by Pitokwe(m): 8:42am On Oct 02, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Toyota cars.
Re: Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! by gwmlogistic: 7:18am On Oct 03, 2018
I need too
Re: Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! by ednut1(m): 7:19am On Oct 03, 2018
Zero. In 3 years grin
Re: Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! by cooldipo(m): 7:22am On Oct 03, 2018
Been a while....
Re: Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! by deepwater(f): 7:23am On Oct 03, 2018
AutoElectNG:

gas is compressible, liquid is not!

Actually not absolute.
Liquids are compressible, otherwise shock and sound waves would not exist.
Also. should liquid remain incompressible, Bermoulli would not have ASSUMED that fluid is incompressible in his bernoulli theorem in fluid dynamics.
Another principle worthy of note is the compressibility modulus....

let me stop diverting biko grin
who fluid dynamics epp for this election season angry

12 Likes

Re: Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! by Nobody: 7:29am On Oct 03, 2018
N
Re: Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! by Nobody: 7:29am On Oct 03, 2018
Nb
Re: Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! by Nobody: 7:30am On Oct 03, 2018
Nbdd
Re: Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! by deepwater(f): 7:35am On Oct 03, 2018
rodrigez74:
i have a sure winning ticket available for pay after winning
chat up if interested
081-22-31-14-03
interested stakers only
oga goan take loan and play. stop disturbing the cyber space

noruwasman:

It looks more like scams if I would say

Who asked u, son?!

5 Likes

Re: Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! by mabaz(m): 7:37am On Oct 03, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Honda Crv

1 Like

Re: Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! by asumo12: 7:43am On Oct 03, 2018
mabaz:

Honda Crv

What year?
Re: Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! by Josh44s(m): 7:44am On Oct 03, 2018
rodrigez74:
i have a sure winning ticket available for pay after winning
chat up if interested
081-22-31-14-03
interested stakers only

How many odds?
Re: Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! by slimjosh43: 7:46am On Oct 03, 2018
deepwater:

Actually not absolute.
Also. should liquid remain incompressible, Bermoulli would not have ASSUMED that fluid is incompressible in his bernoulli theorem in fluid dynamics.

Who are you? Impressed
Re: Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! by Imoy(m): 7:47am On Oct 03, 2018
deepwater:

Actually not absolute.

there is a difference between fluid and liquid
dont confuse the two.

liquid is incompressible except if it changes it state fro liquid to gas.

1 Like

Re: Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! by pafo(m): 7:49am On Oct 03, 2018
deepwater:

Actually not absolute.

Just how a woman should be.

Thumbs up, even if I don't understand what you just wrote up there.

2 Likes

Re: Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! by olumzzz(m): 7:50am On Oct 03, 2018
AutoElectNG:
When last did you do a drain and replace?

Brake Fluid Flush (aka Drain and Replace)
Thanks op..Timely post..I use an Hyundai elantra and i discussed with my mechanic about drain and replace but he was sceptical, saying i should only top it
Re: Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! by In2systemsTech(m): 7:57am On Oct 03, 2018
Hopefully, get to know the type of fluid your vehicle use before you drain it so you do not put the wrong one and cause harm while trying to cause good...

1 Like

Re: Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! by AutoElectNG: 8:00am On Oct 03, 2018
deepwater:

Actually not absolute.

Beauty and brains!

My dad used to say go for a lady who will excite both your loins and your mind.

You certainly fall into that class.

That said you are right.

My point is, gasses are more compressible than liquids.

Is that correct?

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/96577/why-are-oxygen-and-hydrogen-compressible-but-water-is-barely-compressible

1 Like

Re: Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:19am On Oct 03, 2018
deepwater:

Actually not absolute.

It all depends. Everything is compressible under the right conditions. How much energy is require and how effective the compression is, are entirely different issues. grin

That said, just like you pointed out, liquids are assumed to be incompressible because compressing them just isn't worth the hassle at the end of the day.

1 Like

Re: Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! by miqos02(m): 8:22am On Oct 03, 2018
Wow
Re: Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! by Benagbe(m): 8:23am On Oct 03, 2018
deepwater:

Actually not absolute.

wow! Physics class always gave me a headache. Thank God for those of you that could follow!

1 Like

Re: Let's Talk About Brake Fluid! by obailala(m): 8:23am On Oct 03, 2018
AutoElectNG:
Reason for thread:

Customer complaint, after repeated hard stops, brake pedal travel increases tremendously

Reason: too much moisture in the brake fluid causing it to turn into gas and making it compressible, gas is compressible, liquid is not! As a result total loss of braking power, even replacing brake pads did not make a difference...full braking force returned as soon as the brake fluid cooled down

To avoid a situation like this, consult your manufacturer manual and replace brake fluid as per their specifications or using a commonsense schedule of every 20,000 miles or 2 years to be safe

If you are paranoid, you can replace it sooner, by sooner as soon as you notice the brake fluid has boiled, it also means that your brake fluid would have lost some of its effectiveness and also by extension, you have also lost braking power/ability.

Could this be the reason for some accidents on our roads?

The mechanic he consulted suggested that the brake fluid is ok and that the ABS is faulty and should be disconnected.

Could this also be one reason why brake components could fail and require their replacement?

Food for thought and remember, a driver is only good if he can stop the vehicle at any and all times and that job is done by brake components of which the brake fluid is a very necessary soft part which should never be taken for granted!

Engine oil does not necessarily go bad after 3,000 or 5,000 miles yet many change it, but many never consider changing brake fluid...is that not a rather worrying contradiction in service practices?

You're absolutely right about this. The chemical used as brake fluid in cars is hygroscopic, i.e. it absorbs moisture over time and that can make it inefficient.

Brake fluid usually gets very very hot; so in order for it not to boil in operation, the hydraulic used has to be something which has a very high boiling point. But when the fluid absorbs excess moisture over time, upon heating to just 100degs, the water in the fluid boils and becomes gas, thereby increasing the compressibility of the overall fluid which consequently results in less efficient braking.

Another consequence of excess moisture in brake hydraulic is corrosion. With excess water in the fluid, it becomes corrosive and you could risk corroding your braking components.

I know all of these, but then, everytime I go for a full service of my car, I'm usually told my brake fluid has much moisture and needs changing. But as an African man who's naturally 'reactive' in nature, after they quote the price to change the fluid, I just tell them to forget it; after all they've been telling me the same thing for 3 years now and my brake hasn't failed for once. grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Toyota Spider / Kia Motors Nigeria Partners With Uber / Frsc Faults Lagos Policy On Number Plate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.