Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,840 members, 7,810,236 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:22 AM

Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU (27273 Views)

Crisis Looms In Varsities Over Mass Exodus Of Lecturers / 578-day Strikes: Angry Lecturers Dumping Varsities, ASUU Laments / ASUU Strike: Claims Of N350,000, N500,000 Tuition Fees Untrue— Fg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by seguntijan(m): 10:44am On Oct 03, 2018
lexy2014:
how will d students pay back d loan when they aren't even sure of employment after graduation? There are several loan schemes meant 4 graduates, farmers, intending entrepreneurs e.t.c how many are accessible? Is it not d same paid paid connection u use in collecting loan in Nigeria?

So those are the things we need to put they need to put in order before increasing the fee.

1 Like

Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by UncleJudax(m): 10:50am On Oct 03, 2018
Admin401:

Throughout my argument on this topic, I deliberately refrained from comparing Nigerians students with first world country because its an unfair comparison, and because of that, I stopped reading your post when you mention "here in Germany"
If you want to build and improve, you must have a reference point.

My comparison was not out of place.

Increasing fees won't make students to learn (more) if the structure is remains the same hence my comparison.
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Darkseid(m): 10:53am On Oct 03, 2018
Odirahc:

I dey tell you. 5 years of my tertiary education and I won't say there's one special thing I learnt from school. I only met people and obtained a certificate. Shikena
As in eh. I have asked this questions to up to five of my close classmates but they all gave the same answer. Schooling in Nigeria is just a waste of time.
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Centcanada: 11:05am On Oct 03, 2018
How do you expect the minister of Education to do anything? Has he ever read books and know what eduction is all about? Does he has a any doctorate degree? Was he ever a professor? How you want him to know the rudiment in educational sector? And by the way, don't you people know the meaning of Adamu Adamu? Has that name trigger a name with sense? Please let me just save my breathe for the good thing but mind you, Adamu means those housa's people that fetch water on a long pushing wheel barrow in the street of Lagos and you expect him to get sense. They really want to destroy the poor masses life. We are watching. Episode 2 please.
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Bisbliss(f): 11:09am On Oct 03, 2018
geozone:
we deserve what we are getting in terms of lepadership.

Maybe you do but I definitely do not deserve one-tenth of this misfortune called Nigerian
Leaders.
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Emmacolinho(m): 11:10am On Oct 03, 2018
If you vote for Buhari again, then you're cursed!!!
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by OmoDavido(m): 11:20am On Oct 03, 2018
Admin401:

That's where I work.

You should have gone to learn work too or better still send all your children for skill aquisation and don’t make them go to school.
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by olajigaolamide: 11:24am On Oct 03, 2018
The federal government is completely deluded.
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by eniorisha(m): 11:24am On Oct 03, 2018
The Solution to this country's economic challenges mainly lies with our crazy democratic system. Our democracy is just too expensive to run.

The first thing our organised labour leaders shld fight with all the constitutional way possible is the salary package of our greedy political office holders. With the current pay package of our elective & appointive political office holders, it'll be difficult to successfully & significantly review upward d minimum wage and as well get funds to invest massively in education especially at tertiary level.

Revenue Mobilization Allocation & Fiscal Commission(RMAFC) will not do anything until d generality of d populace stand up & revolt.

The proposed increase in d tuition fee payable in our varsities is good only if :

* Worthwhile alternative will be introduced to those who such policy will deny tertiary edu, especially Bachelor & Masters Degrees

*Political offices & positions shld be made financially much less attractive to d greedy & selfish fools

*Full employment for all(former & informal, Full time & part time employment)
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Nobody: 11:27am On Oct 03, 2018
OmoDavido:

You should have gone to learn work too or better still send all your children for skill aquisation and don’t make them go to school.

Everything I do to make money was learnt in secondary school and by independent studying. You're just arguing with your emotions all over the place like a woman
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by theoldpretender(m): 11:30am On Oct 03, 2018
UncleJudax:

No. But it depends on your definition of formal education.

I am particularly disturbed by your assertion that paying tuition would make people to study harder. That's hogwash.

Here in Germany, there is no tuition, and the students are eager to learn. Even if you want to raise the fees, why not first raise the structure? Let universities, colleges of education and polytechnics do what they are meant to do.

You can always point to people who have made so much money and name without a university education, but you have to also know that these people are nationals of countries that have already attained where they are because of their education structure.

Nigeria doesn't have such a structure

Yes, tuition is free in Germany....at the cost of half your annual income in taxes.

We cannot do that in Nigeria...there would be riots on the street.
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by OmoDavido(m): 11:32am On Oct 03, 2018
Admin401:

Everything I do to make money was learnt in secondary school and by independent studying. You're just arguing with your emotions all over the place like a woman
Tear all your certificates and don’t send all your children to school too.
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Nobody: 11:32am On Oct 03, 2018
UncleJudax:

If you want to build and improve, you must have a reference point.

My comparison was not out of place.

Increasing fees won't make students to learn (more) if the structure is remains the same hence my comparison.

Then why are people killing themselves over school fees on this thread when they know the structure of Nigerian education is bullshit? Is it not easier to say "Bleep it" rather than bitch and moan about how you can't get into an institution that churns out half baked graduate?

Is the quality of graduates in Nigeria the same with germany? No. So don't compare them.
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Nobody: 11:34am On Oct 03, 2018
OmoDavido:
Tear all your certificates and don’t send all your children to school too.

Okay, lady.
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by UncleJudax(m): 11:42am On Oct 03, 2018
theoldpretender:

Yes, tuition is free in Germany....at the cost of half your annual income in taxes.

We cannot do that in Nigeria...there would be riots on the street.
You can't eat your cake and have it. And no, tax is not half the income. Even if it were, it would not be only for education.

Btw fuel pump price was increased by more than 100% and nothing happened.
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by lexy2014: 11:44am On Oct 03, 2018
Admin401:

Yes. It will discourage those kinds of people from going to Uni. And even if they insisted on going, alot of them will drop out or completely sit up, as did alot of my coursemates.
still brings us back 2 what I said earlier that this line of reasoning is flawed. A persons mental capacity is what is used 2 determine eligibility and qualification 4 education, not ability to pay fees. Its exams that are d tools 4 screening those that can cope in an academic environment from those that can't, not ability to pay high school fees.

1 Like

Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by theoldpretender(m): 11:46am On Oct 03, 2018
Here are some cold hard facts.....

1.In 2009...ASUU and FG signed an agreement that would have guaranteed N3 trillion in annual additional funding for our universites.

(Interested guys and gals can read the agreement here

2.In 2013....ASUU was told by the Government of the day....that N3 tirllion per annum WAS NOT FEASIBLE. Instead N1 trillion was offered to our universities in tranches of N200bn over 5 years.

3.Meanwhile...for context....our educaiton budget this year was N800bn (and most of it is earmarked for primary and secondary schools...which in my opinion need at least N5 trillion per annum to function well). Our budget overall was N8trillion

4.Most government universites are BROKE. (ABU's VC said as much in 2017....he has an overhead cost of N600million per annum...and government gives him N100million for overheads. Now...where is he going to get N500million from?)

5.Our universites produce half baked graduates because they have no facilities...which means research cannot be done..which means they find it diffuclt toattract funding from non government sources...which makes them produce more half baked graduates.

6.It cost N300000 to train one Nigerian student in a Nigerian unviersity for one year. (2009 estimate) .Some experts put the cost higher...N600000-over 1 million (Chief Afe Babalola, owner of ABUAD puts it even above 1.5million).

7,Nigerian relies on oil to fund its budget. In 2013....when we had a good economy as PDP faithful tell us..and when oil was above $100 per barrel....govt could not afford 3 trillion in extra funding for universites. Since Bubu took over, oil has never risen abovre $80. And now....we need oil at $140 to run a balanced budget that would be ENOUGH for all Nigeria. Tell me,,,,,how will we fund unviersites under this regime.

8.I am sorry....you can abuse me, my family, my dogs, my cats, even my pet rabbit who lives in Lokoja....but we have no choice....we muist INCREASE university fees....to at least N400000. per annum....yes, peoiple will suffer....but our unis would be able to afford facilites that would enable them to be competitive.

Because you cannot expect Cambridge level degree on just $1000 a year.

OR....we just keep on taking loans, OR we raise taxes .....OR we remove fuel subsidy completely, allow marketers to raise fuel price to N400 per liter while we tax them heavily...and use subsidy savings to fund educaiton....

I am sorry...but it is high time we faced the fact. We are NOT ARICH NATION. WE CANNOT AFFORD CHEAP FEES.

I don talk my own!

2 Likes

Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by lexy2014: 11:47am On Oct 03, 2018
seguntijan:

So those are the things we need to put they need to put in order before increasing the fee.
that's one thing that will never happen. Nigeria is all about putting d cart b4 d horse
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by UncleJudax(m): 11:49am On Oct 03, 2018
Admin401:

Then why are people killing themselves over school fees on this thread when they know the structure of Nigerian education is bullshit? Is it not easier to say "Bleep it" rather than bitch and moan about how you can't get into an institution that churns out half baked graduate?

Is the quality of graduates in Nigeria the same with germany? No. So don't compare them.
That's because of the emphasis on paper certificate. Which again has to do with lack of structure.

If you don't improve on the education standard and increase the fees, the quality of graduates would remain the same.

Garbage in, garbage out.
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by yinnyme(m): 12:05pm On Oct 03, 2018
Elbinawi:
FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU

ME:

A useless government. The minimum wage is just 18,000. How can civil servant sponsor their children to University with this?

I remember the Minister of Education is that fake monumental fraudster, Adamu Adamu, who spent all his years attacking Saudi Wahhabism but ended up as it agent. #ZariaGenocide

#ElbinawiTweets

If you start agric biz with the #350k I tell you in four years time you fit employ graduates.
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by maasoap(m): 1:41pm On Oct 03, 2018
lexy2014:
where in d story did u read anything about ASUU coming up with suggestions which they made known 2d president?

Wrong response, confusing question. Read my post again
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by lexy2014: 1:50pm On Oct 03, 2018
maasoap:

Wrong response, confusing question. Read my post again
pls read ur post again and c if it has anything 2do with d topic or d story
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Bighead95(m): 2:52pm On Oct 03, 2018
Hello everyone I submitted a request letter to my local government when I checked my PPA status some days later I was posted to school instead of the letter I submitted please what can I do .,..

Urgent answer please
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by RevenGeMission: 2:53pm On Oct 03, 2018
TruthinAction:

The issue is not insufficient fund to run the school but that of mismanagement and misappropriation.

So you agree there's an issue, that makes us both right in our own ways
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by afoobabs(m): 2:53pm On Oct 03, 2018
Admin401:
Not bad actually. People will now attend school and learn and not fvck around because they know how much they spend on school fees alone, why the rest learn a trade.

Not that you set school fees at 50k and everyone attends, and after graduating 100k students at once, more than half can't even a construct simple sentences but then they want an office job.

Sometimes when I talk to graduates in Nigeria, I'm shocked they were able to get admitted into a university in the first place.

Everyone thinks they can't make it without going to school even though they know atleast 10 graduates that went to school and never made it.

Everyone now has a degree certificate in Nigeria andd now Bsc has been watered down so much that you need an Msc to even work in Mr.biggs. fvck!!!

Now you have got the likes, are you happy now.

If we have problem with the standard of our varsities, we should put forward measures to improve it, not to increase the tuition.

Schools do not necessarily have to be expensive in order to have standard especially (Public Schools)

Truly going to school doesn't guarantee success but it brighten the chances.

For the fact that you can afford it doesn't mean others can.

Your comment reeks of selfishness
I believe if you have one or two child(ren) and/or two siblings in University u wouldn't be saying this.

1 Like

Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Sardauna24(m): 3:14pm On Oct 03, 2018
omusiliyu:
They're planning, we're planning but Allah is the best planner.
Exactly...
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Yankee101: 3:33pm On Oct 03, 2018
The Country will shut down
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Taywon: 3:40pm On Oct 03, 2018
yet they didnt increase the minimum wage
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Nowenuse: 5:44pm On Oct 03, 2018
LilSmith55:
What have the govt put in place before planning to increase the tuition fee, what facilities are on ground before yeye increment

Imagine in a university, where a computer program is been written on a white board and dey start telling u if u press enter it will run,

Why not press d enter and d board and run it

Imagine a chemistry class, where u were told only on white board dat if u mix chemical A and B togeda it will give u AB and it will evaporate.

Imagine in a Computer Engineering class where a motherboard is been drawn and label on a white board and start telling u this is function A and this is function B

And So On

What have they put in place in those University before planning to increase the tuition fee

So sad, but I'm sure the government is hoping the universities would put things in place with the high school fees the masses will start paying.

If the universities would indeed be able to give students high quality world class education with this amount of tuition fees, then I think it's a welcomed idea. But this is Nigeria, the generated income from this high tuition would still be embezzled by the universities and we will have to pay exorbitantly for crappy education.
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by LilSmith55(m): 6:16pm On Oct 03, 2018
Nowenuse:

So sad, but I'm sure the government is hoping the universities would put things in place with the high school fees the masses will start paying.

If the universities would indeed be able to give students high quality world class education with this amount of tuition fees, then I think it's a welcomed idea. But this is Nigeria, the generated income from this high tuition would still be embezzled by the universities and we will have to pay exorbitantly for crappy education.

Imagine u want to start a business and u start telling ur customer to pay before u can show dem wat dey are buying.. Please who will patronise you. They will just look at u like, you are not serious

See all this Private own university na, everything are alredy in place, Top notch facilities alredy in place before dey start rolling out admission e.g Covenant Uni, Bowen Uni and so on, do d owner tell dere student to pay before providing all this facilities, if u enter d skul self and u see facilities, u self go know say dis one no be 40k school

Or after paying a sum of 350k and u just wake up one morning and u hear say one Minister for Education don chop 5 billion dollar meant for betterment of our education.

The FG should see dis as an investment, let dem gather all dere salary and money in dere bank account.. Invest it on our university to the standard of the UK and US uni. Then we will start paying the 350k from dere dey will get dere money back...

I cant start paying shit for nonsense

1 Like

Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Nobody: 6:26pm On Oct 03, 2018
Franklyspeakin:
Young man it wasn't just punch newspaper that carried this news it's on both vanguard and Thisday newspaper. B4 u begin defending your government get your facts right. I sincerely wish APC well. But they are the once doing themselves. Imagine this news towards an election year. Can't they just get their acts right??

Old Man,I ain't defending my Government.
And what makes you think because all the junk papers reported it,that it can't be false? Kindly know that these journalists have a wattsapp group where they share rumors.
In any case,tuition increament from #50k to #350k sounds repugnant to be true.
Hope this helps

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lady Shares Before & After Photos With Her Dad After He Graduated With Masters / What Is On Wikipedia About Prof Bamitale Omole And OAU / Emelife Stella Chinelo Receives Medals And Cash Prizes From University Of Mysore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.