Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,333 members, 7,819,142 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:52 AM

Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU (27311 Views)

Crisis Looms In Varsities Over Mass Exodus Of Lecturers / 578-day Strikes: Angry Lecturers Dumping Varsities, ASUU Laments / ASUU Strike: Claims Of N350,000, N500,000 Tuition Fees Untrue— Fg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by herzernIsHere: 8:49pm On Oct 03, 2018
theoldpretender:
Here are some cold hard facts.....

1.In 2009...ASUU and FG signed an agreement that would have guaranteed N3 trillion in annual additional funding for our universites.

(Interested guys and gals can read the agreement here

2.In 2013....ASUU was told by the Government of the day....that N3 tirllion per annum WAS NOT FEASIBLE. Instead N1 trillion was offered to our universities in tranches of N200bn over 5 years.

3.Meanwhile...for context....our educaiton budget this year was N800bn (and most of it is earmarked for primary and secondary schools...which in my opinion need at least N5 trillion per annum to function well). Our budget overall was N8trillion

4.Most government universites are BROKE. (ABU's VC said as much in 2017....he has an overhead cost of N600million per annum...and government gives him N100million for overheads. Now...where is he going to get N500million from?)

5.Our universites produce half baked graduates because they have no facilities...which means research cannot be done..which means they find it diffuclt toattract funding from non government sources...which makes them produce more half baked graduates.

6.It cost N300000 to train one Nigerian student in a Nigerian unviersity for one year. (2009 estimate) .Some experts put the cost higher...N600000-over 1 million (Chief Afe Babalola, owner of ABUAD puts it even above 1.5million).

7,Nigerian relies on oil to fund its budget. In 2013....when we had a good economy as PDP faithful tell us..and when oil was above $100 per barrel....govt could not afford 3 trillion in extra funding for universites. Since Bubu took over, oil has never risen abovre $80. And now....we need oil at $140 to run a balanced budget that would be ENOUGH for all Nigeria. Tell me,,,,,how will we fund unviersites under this regime.

8.I am sorry....you can abuse me, my family, my dogs, my cats, even my pet rabbit who lives in Lokoja....but we have no choice....we muist INCREASE university fees....to at least N400000. per annum....yes, peoiple will suffer....but our unis would be able to afford facilites that would enable them to be competitive.

Because you cannot expect Cambridge level degree on just $1000 a year.

OR....we just keep on taking loans, OR we raise taxes .....OR we remove fuel subsidy completely, allow marketers to raise fuel price to N400 per liter while we tax them heavily...and use subsidy savings to fund educaiton....

I am sorry...but it is high time we faced the fact. We are NOT ARICH NATION. WE CANNOT AFFORD CHEAP FEES.

I don talk my own!
*heavy sighs.

This is very insightful, doc. grin
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by TruthinAction: 2:46am On Oct 04, 2018
RevenGeMission:

So you agree there's an issue, that makes us both right in our own ways

Yes, there will always be issues but the solution not the punishing the students by demanding much higher fees for their gross corrupt practices.
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by fweshlee(m): 10:56am On Oct 04, 2018
lexy2014:
was it expensive 4 our parents and same people who are making these policies?
What was our population then..... How many schools do we have and what was our revenue.....??
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Nobody: 11:54am On Oct 04, 2018
Admin401:

Everything I do to make money was learnt in secondary school and by independent studying. You're just arguing with your emotions all over the place like a woman
I think you are right, secondary school is the most important level of education in Nigeria. Everything i know today academically plus my knowledge of good spoken and written English was all learnt in secondary school. Tertiary is just to get the certificate and nothing else, that is why some people say we have half baked graduates, those are graduates who didn't get it right from second secondary school

1 Like

Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by lexy2014: 12:53pm On Oct 04, 2018
fweshlee:

What was our population then..... How many schools do we have and what was our revenue.....??
good question especially d one about revenue. Govts of d 60s used groundnut, cocoa, palm oil&timber 2 provide free qualitative education at all levels. After d agriculture era, oil has been d main stay raking in billions of dollars every year that by far dwarfs what d regional govts had in d 60s. So dude its not a question of how much revenue. Its how u use d revenue. Its not about population. Its about ur plan 4 them. If I may ask u, does d FG have an educational plan 4 its population?
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by fweshlee(m): 11:08pm On Oct 04, 2018
lexy2014:
good question especially d one about revenue. Govts of d 60s used groundnut, cocoa, palm oil&timber 2 provide free qualitative education at all levels. After d agriculture era, oil has been d main stay raking in billions of dollars every year that by far dwarfs what d regional govts had in d 60s. So dude its not a question of how much revenue. Its how u use d revenue. Its not about population. Its about ur plan 4 them. If I may ask u, does d FG have an educational plan 4 its population?
We have a failed government/system.....m not in anyway defending our government, but still education is expensive almost in all developed countries of world
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by lexy2014: 4:27am On Oct 05, 2018
fweshlee:

We have a failed government/system.....m not in anyway defending our government, but still education is expensive almost in all developed countries of world
u mentioned "all developed countries". Is Nigeria a developed country? So because education is expensive in developed countries, it should b expensive here? In developed countries after school, are u assured of employment as a citizen? In Nigeria, is it d same?
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by fweshlee(m): 6:19am On Oct 05, 2018
Like I said, we have a failed structure if not, increasing tuition might just b a right step in d right direction...The major solution to our problem is 'Education', I don't think we can have that if university are paying as low as 11k. Developed or Under developed , quality education is never free
its a sad fact gee.....#peace
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by Franklyspeakin: 10:27pm On Oct 06, 2018
If it where false laid Mohammed would have quickly denied it.
danjumakolo:

Old Man,I ain't defending my Government.
And what makes you think because all the junk papers reported it,that it can't be false? Kindly know that these journalists have a wattsapp group where they share rumors.
In any case,tuition increament from #50k to #350k sounds repugnant to be true.
Hope this helps
Re: Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU by scholarshipfree: 10:29pm On Oct 06, 2018
Hello,

British Government/FCO
Masters Degree

Deadline: 6 Nov 2018 (annual)
Study in: UK
Course starts Sept/Oct 2019

Brief description:

Chevening Scholarships are the UK government’s global scholarship programme, funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and partner organisations. The programme offers awards to outstanding scholars with leadership potential from around the world to study for a master’s degree in any subject at any UK university.

Website: https://dailyscholars.info/2018/10/06/apply-now-british-chevening-scholarships-for-international-students-2/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

UNILAG Students Involved In Car Accident Along Airport Road, Lagos / Requirements To Study Accounting. / IPPIS: ASUU Asks FG Why Staff Of CBN, NDIC, FIRS Are Not On The Payment System

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.