Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,571 members, 7,812,843 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:29 PM

Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities (13046 Views)

Ekiti Government Pays Condolence Visit To Parents Of Slain FUOYE Students / Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade / FG Approves Six New Private Universities (names) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities by HigherEd: 3:48pm On Oct 03, 2018
Kano State Government has released one quarter of the outstanding tuition fees (for 2016-2018 session) totalling N265,637,741 for indigent students in private universities.

At a briefing in his office, the Commissioner for Information, Malam Muhammad Garba, said the universities include

A-Qalam University, Katsina – N19,092, 978
American University in Nigeria – N21,526,43
Bells, Ota N102,550,123
Crescent University, Abeokuta N18,410,875 Igbinedion, Okada N104,057,741.

The Executive Council, he said, approved N210 million for the provision of solar-powered streetlights in boarding secondary schools and night Islamiyya schools in various locations across the state.

He said the council okayed N354, 975, 775.17 for the construction of Local Government Staff Development Centre, adding that N14, 239, 140.37 was approved for the reconstruction/repairs of Kailani and Achi Lafiya health Posts in Kiru Local Government.

The commissioner said the council approved N24, 478, 168 for the provision of three diffrent electricity transformers at Sharada, Kwanar Freedom Radio Small Scale Industrial area.

The council witnessed the signing of the Kano State College of Arts, Science and Remedial Studies by Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje which will enable the college to issue certificates of education.

http://thenationonlineng.net/kano-pays-n265m-fee-arrears-to-five-private-varsities/

1 Like

Re: Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities by HigherEd: 3:49pm On Oct 03, 2018
Better than sending folks outside the country. I still see no sense in African countries sponsoring scholarship outside the continent. It is we arming foreign nations against ourselves -
A ridiculous brain drain as the people never come back.

If the inadequacy of qualified personnel is the problem, then bring the foreigners here to train Nigerians and solve Nigerian problems... Kudos to KASG.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities by CodeTemplar: 4:25pm On Oct 03, 2018
I consider this a far better use of state funds than sponsoring religious activities or building low standard state schools and think it will help galvanize the FG's plan to increase public university fees and standard. I say this because any state govt already paying private school fee for about half a thousand students can afford such fee.
Nice move.
Some state govt may also need to close down their state uni or upgrade it to the emerging standard private universities are setting.

10 Likes

Re: Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities by HigherEd: 5:01pm On Oct 03, 2018
CodeTemplar:
I consider this a far better use of state funds than sponsoring religious activities or building low standard state schools and think it will help galvanize the FG's plan to increase public university fees and standard. I say this because any state govt already paying private school fee for about half a thousand students can afford such fee.
Nice move.
Some state govt may also need to close down their state uni or upgrade it to the emerging standard private universities are setting.
The "State university system" is not working because the private sector is not interested in investing in them. Instead the govt should approach and collaborate with private universities. For example rather than have Ogun State Uni, why not give a annual allocation meant for OSU to Babcock while merging OSU campus as an extension of Babcock, so Babcock would absorb a OSU students. The extra fund from Ogun would help Babcock keep down fees significantly while ensuring govt is no longer directly burdened with investment in physical infrastructure, unions and all other shenanigans that come with public universities. If the state governments are consistent on their own part then the model will work because there would be a larger pool of resources which includes Babcock proprietors, State govt and a moderate tuition.

In this model state govts can adopt three private universities with proven financial sustainability records and co-fund them alongside their proprietors in exchange for increased enrollment(50% indigenes, 50% others) and lower fees not exceeding 200,000.00 for courses with exception of medicine and surgery. NB: Northern states should not use this model.

USA for instance spends 4%(last i checked) of total budget on education(less than Nigeria). But you would be mistakened to equate that with a poor university system because they significantly share the burden with the private sector. The US federal govt has no university (except military academies) but give grants to Harvard and Standford.
Now compare the US system to that of public universities in UK who went on strike some months ago or Australian public universities which have been crying against cuts in funding.

Public universities i suggest should be left for small nations where population increase is little. E.g Nordic nations, rwanda etc.

13 Likes

Re: Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities by Nobody: 5:50pm On Oct 03, 2018
cool
Re: Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities by greatman247(m): 5:50pm On Oct 03, 2018
This is very nice
Re: Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities by HigherEd: 5:50pm On Oct 03, 2018
Bn
Re: Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities by chiefolododo(m): 5:52pm On Oct 03, 2018
Kano State Governor, a very stingy man
Re: Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities by KOLLYPROF(m): 5:53pm On Oct 03, 2018
I'm seeing this man funding private universities in this manner
Re: Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities by Onlinealaba(m): 5:54pm On Oct 03, 2018
am happy with this news I see no reason why we will be traveling abroad to study while we got good and quality private uni's down here..kano govt setting the pace other state should imitate that.

check my siggy, quality electronics at flat rates, delivery nationwide

1 Like

Re: Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities by Zayncom: 5:55pm On Oct 03, 2018
Are you into importation from the USA or China? We are the cheapest USA/China shopping agent you can find anywhere, visit my signature to check out our website
Re: Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities by Livebygrace: 5:56pm On Oct 03, 2018
Its worth paying.

Check my signature to earn some coins into your wallet.
Re: Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities by September13: 5:57pm On Oct 03, 2018
Hmnnnnnnnn

Better than sending them to ukraine, Spain or Paraguay where the next govt might neglect them, even if d next govt wan do nonsense, they know their way back home

Kudos Ganduje on this one, but I still don't like u sha
Re: Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities by Lisaint(m): 5:58pm On Oct 03, 2018
HigherEd:

The "State university system" is not working because the private sector is not interested in investing in them. Instead the govt should approach and collaborate with private universities. For example rather than have Ondo State Uni(AAUA), why not give a third of annual allocation meant for AAUA to Elizade while merging AAUA campus as an extension of Elizade, so Elizade would absorb a third of AAUA students. The extra fund from Ondo would help Elizade keep down fees significantly while ensuring govt is no longer burdened with investment in physical infrastructure, unions and all other shenanigans that come with public universities. If the state governments are consistent on their own part then the model will work because there would be a larger pool of resources which includes Elizade's proprietors, State govt and a moderate tuition

In this model state govts can adopt three private universities with proven financial sustainability records and co-fund them alongside their proprietors in exchange for increased enrollment(50% indigenes, 50% others) and lower fees not exceeding 200,000.00 for courses with exception of medicine and surgery. NB: Northern states should not use this model.

USA for instance spends 4%(last i checked) of total budget on education(less than Nigeria). But you would be mistakened to equate that with a poor university system because they significantly share the burden with the private sector. The US federal govt has no university (except military academies) but give grants to Harvard and Standford.
Now compare the US system to that of public universities in UK who went on strike some months ago or Australian public universities which have been crying against cuts in funding.

Public universities i suggest should be left for small nations where population increase is little. E.g Nordic nations, rwanda etc.

Wonderful.........
If i may ask
If Elizade merge with AAUA as you propose,
What will happen tp the sch fees?
How much is the minimum wage ?
How should the parent get the money,?

The root of the funding problem is the Government
They keep creating new institution why the old ones are crying of funds

The more they create
The more we have more problem

4 Likes

Re: Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities by deebsman1(m): 6:00pm On Oct 03, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Nice move.
I remember those days at Al-Hikmah uni in Ilorin how many of those northern students went there on scholarships
Re: Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities by id4sho(m): 6:01pm On Oct 03, 2018
Hausa Amaka cheesy

1 Like

Re: Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities by HigherEd: 6:04pm On Oct 03, 2018
Lisaint:

Wonderful.........
If i may ask

The more they create
The school fees will reduce. I expect the private unis to charge based on the economic strata of each students.
Wealthy home Kids: Should Pay 100% of Fees
Middle class kids: should pay 30-50% of Fees
Low income kids: should pay 10% of Fees

Every year we have about 3,000 kids thronging babcock willing to pay 1.2 million as fees. If we add ppl çoming from OSU, then the difference in their own fees would be paid by the state govt.
Re: Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities by CodeTemplar: 6:08pm On Oct 03, 2018
deebsman1:

I remember those days at Al-Hikmah uni in Ilorin how many of those northern students went there on scholarships
Really? That's good. Better than poor and cheap education system.
Re: Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities by Nobody: 6:08pm On Oct 03, 2018
Wjy not invest that in ur local universities and give scholarships to more students?

Foolish thieves gifting private unis founders government loots

1 Like

Re: Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities by OkorojiE: 6:09pm On Oct 03, 2018
Good day Sir/Ma.

I am a student, and sometime ago, I pleaded for financial support on this forum, to help me pay my school fees, but some mods thought I was scamming people and banned me...
Please I am not lying. I am saying the truth. There is no one to help me from those I know.

The truth is that I am yet to pay my school fees #45,700, and looking at the turn of events I might repeat my level. I am doing my IT( I am not paid) and if I don't pay my school fees, I will repeat it.

I have been working to get the money, but being the one taking care of my feeding and accommodation, the money is not coming out. I plead with you to support me..

Here is my number for you to contact me. 0907133648.
Acct No 0024727225
Diamond Bank.

I am not doing this because it is convenient for me, but due to the urgency.
Please help me. Thank you.
Re: Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities by Yankee101: 6:10pm On Oct 03, 2018
Election settlements begins

1 Like

Re: Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities by lapo(m): 6:11pm On Oct 03, 2018
That's the newest way private universities are making money. They simply make deals with governments and get the bulk sum. Days of public funded universities are certainly numbered. What hope for the poor parents?

1 Like

Re: Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities by Standardcosting(m): 6:12pm On Oct 03, 2018
[s]
HigherEd:

The "State university system" is not working because the private sector is not interested in investing in them. Instead the govt should approach and collaborate with private universities. For example rather than have Ogun State Uni, why not give a annual allocation meant for OSU to Babcock while merging OSU campus as an extension of Babcock, so Babcock would absorb a OSU students. The extra fund from Ogun would help Babcock keep down fees significantly while ensuring govt is no longer directly burdened with investment in physical infrastructure, unions and all other shenanigans that come with public universities. If the state governments are consistent on their own part then the model will work because there would be a larger pool of resources which includes Babcock proprietors, State govt and a moderate tuition.

[/s]
Babcock acquires OSU undecided
Re: Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities by CodeTemplar: 6:14pm On Oct 03, 2018
Lisaint:

Wonderful.........
If i may ask

The more they create
Nice question.
As it stands, govt spends hundreds of thousands subsidizing each student in most state universities. Instead of having 20,000 student getting poor education let the govt patronize the private uni and educate even just 12,000 of those 20,000 properly. It makes sense that way.

1 Like

Re: Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities by CodeTemplar: 6:16pm On Oct 03, 2018
lapo:
That's the newest way private universities are making money. They simply make deals with governments and get the bulk sum. Days of public funded universities are certainly numbered. What hope for the poor parents?
scholarship.
Only the crooked who bribe their way into the system have something to fear for. The truly brilliant will get in because the private universities are more upright in their dealings.

1 Like

Re: Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities by Lisaint(m): 6:17pm On Oct 03, 2018
HigherEd:

The school fees will reduce. I expect the private unis to charge based on the economic strata of each students.

This can't happen sir...
If uni charge according to the economic strata of it candidate...
That will say because A can afford 100k that will be is Fees and because B can afford 20k that will be B fees...
This method won't work at all cause Universities won't have a stable financial projection
That where strikes creep in again in your proposal.....

Btw
M a student of AAUA
Re: Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities by CodeTemplar: 6:17pm On Oct 03, 2018
Standardcosting:
[s][/s]
Babcock acquires OSU undecided
Babcock supports OSU is more appropriate.
Re: Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities by portacabin: 6:23pm On Oct 03, 2018
HigherEd:
Better than sending folks outside the country. I still see no sense in African countries sponsoring scholarship outside the continent. It is we arming foreign nations against ourselves -
A ridiculous brain drain as the people never come back.

If the inadequacy of qualified personnel is the problem, then bring the foreigners here to train Nigerians and solve Nigerian problems... Kudos to KASG.
No nation develops without developing talent. Most times talent development is done outside
Re: Kano Government Pays N265million To Five Private Universities by Almaiga: 6:24pm On Oct 03, 2018
This is a welcome development.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should There Be Free Education In Nigeria? / Lies You Told In Secondary School / Lagos State University (LASU) 2015/16 Admission Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.