Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,127 members, 7,825,527 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:57 PM

Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her (19815 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie: Don't Use Feminism To Justify Your Wickedness / Chimamanda Adichie Speaks On Social Media, Donald Trump, And Feminism / Sex Na Food (Pidgin Comedy Edition) Story Of A Rugged Guy By Youngzubi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by Hcqmela: 8:24pm On Oct 04, 2018
Kolombz:
This lady just keep insulting her husband with this cause she is championing.I guess she is oblivious to the fact that true feminists oppose the institution of marriage because they see it as a way of keeping a woman in a bondage.Marriage to them underpins patriarchy they frown at.The fact that she is happily married to a man alone belies the feminism cause she is espousing.
Staying abroad has made her lose touch with what is obtainable here in Africa and has also given her the leeway to advocate this her cause.Maybe she trying to appeal to the westerners because as far as I am concerned I doubt if feminism can gain a foothold in Africa here.It totally runs foul of our cultures and traditions.
Hahaha now let me correct u. True feminism oppose a patrichial society who uses marriage as a yardstick for the woman not to exploit herself in the things she likes to do that her male counter part can do. Such things include education, economy infrastructure, Religion, Political participation n a few to mention.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by Glink2018(m): 8:31pm On Oct 04, 2018
TalkTalkTwins:
wow
I love Chimaamanda!
I love Chimaamanda!!
I love Chimaamanda!!!

My love for her is like copied assignments, I just can't explain 'em. smiley
This lady is always making sense, but the typical Nairalander is blinded by culture.
Attack her and she keeps going viral.
Keep on hating and she keeps gracing the fp.

Have you ever asked yourself who made those culture you live to fulfill?
Did they fall from the sky?
Can't they be amended?

Feminism is simply, EQUALITY OF THE BOTH SEXES! I'm a guy and I support it 100%. Don't cheat me and I'd never cheat you.
It's as simple as that. No one chose which sexes they were born with, so why should one be superior?

If you're quoting me, please make some sense. That's all I have to say!

You will agree with me that over the years feminist ideology is a taboo in this side of the world.
We don't believe men and women are equal. As a matter of fact , we even placed more priority on male child than the female children so as for him to retain the name, the image of the family and also for inheritance protection.

But since it's being pratice in some of Western world without hassle why can't it not be pratice?

But God created them both male and female, he created He them Gen 1:27, 5:2, 6:19.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by Hcqmela: 8:36pm On Oct 04, 2018
pryme:

Let's not go too far, pls spot where a woman contributed in these numbered aspects.

1. The pc/phone you are using to type these (hardware)

2. The computer software (Windows/Android)

*Although a woman wrote a computer program language.

3. The electric Cables connected from the power station to your house.

4.The restoration of power in case of power failure.

Before we even got here today men are the ones that have protected and kept the human race to this day. Who went out to hunt for animals and source for food during the cavemen Era, who invented the weapons to make hunting easier.
You may say women are responsible for multiplying the human race, what good is a womans womb if there is no man?
And what good is a baby if there is no one that can protect and provide for that baby?
You think a woman can do that?

You should understand what the word "superior" means before you make use of it.
N what use is the man's penis if the woman's womb is not there? That was why God created Eve for Adam as the lesser creatures which he Adam named had female counterparts n Adam the superior creature had none thus leading to Adam's loniness. U see both sexes works hand in hand in a collaborative way so that the work load each sexes were designed to do will be lesser n the woman came in cos the man needs companionship.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by pryme(m): 8:46pm On Oct 04, 2018
Hcqmela:
N what use is the man's penis if the woman's womb is not there? That was why God created Eve for Adam as the lesser creatures which he Adam named had female counterparts n Adam the superior creature had none thus leading to Adam's loniness. U see both sexes works hand in hand in a collaborative way so that the work load each sexes were designed to do will be lesser n the woman came in cos the man needs companionship.

I do not dispute anything you are saying here.
But a man can never be equal to a woman, even an alien visiting Earth for the first time will notice that.

X can never = Y
but X and Y are very crucial for the over all equation.

This is why this 3 wave feminism championed by this Married Feminist disgusts me.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by Fxwarrior: 8:47pm On Oct 04, 2018
Tessyama1:
Nigerian novelist, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie was a guest on BBC pidgin recently, and she pointed out what feminism means to her.

Her main point, according to her, she wants people to start talking about how men and women are equal, and how women would not be deprived of things. 

See some of her points and watch the video below....

1. Men and women are equal, simple
2. Women to inherit properties
3. Nigerian women to have the right to give their foreign husband's Nigerian citizenship
4. Men to help their wives with domestic chores

Watch the video here; https://www.amagitesblog.com/2018/10/chimamanda-adichie-speaks-pidgin-english-reveals-what-feminism-means-to-her.html

Men to help their wife with domestic chores abi? Like the husband and wife take turns at cooking, cleaning and sweeping the house abi?

I can see something is wrong with her cos it aint happening for me. Nonsense.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by okeyfineboy(m): 8:54pm On Oct 04, 2018
princeade86:
and women should be paying children school fees also, pay bills and many thing husband is doing.

And who told you women don't do more than that? Some women carry all the expenses in the family from paying children sch fee to house rent, feeding and other things. I feel men who have issues with equality have low self esteem.

All of you saying both sexes are not equal, are you trying to say you're greater than Chimamanda because you're a man?

Some of you are even trying to compare strength as a reason a man is greater, wasn't it on this platform that the news of a wife beating her husband was put on front page? Are you saying the wife in this case is greater because she has more strength?

Men and women are equal but in the family setting, a man is the head, the women is the neck, a man needs his wife and vice versa.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by Gerrard59(m): 9:27pm On Oct 04, 2018
ajl:

Why does equality not fit your culture? So it's okay if a widow is not allowed to inherit her husband's properties even though it's likely they both worked hard for it. I also have issue with her feminism thing generally but all the points she stated in that pidgin interview are things that need to be resolved.

I think her view on feminism is shaped by her Igbo culture where women are not allowed to inherit husband properties... she has a point. But the mistake she made was joining forces with empty headed feminist in Western world. Aside from equal pay, those ones no get anything to say. I think she need to put things in context when she talk about feminism. She should be talking about equal rights. But are Nija women ready to do 50/50 for family expense. My madam only wan give 25% of her pay while she expect me as the husband to spend 100% of my pay on the family.

Gender pay gap is a myth. It does not exist, what does is earnings' gap. Don't mind those 3rd/4th wave feminists.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2017/08/01/are-women-paid-less-than-men-for-the-same-work
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by karika2018: 10:10pm On Oct 04, 2018
when you send your children expecially women abroad...this is what you get
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by Nobody: 10:17pm On Oct 04, 2018
DopeAngel:
This woman go and die abeg. We have a more bigger problem to face sending the dullard back to daura. No come use your reggae spoil our blues.

Go die with your stupid feminism.
how is you, you are finally back from your jail
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by Nobody: 10:20pm On Oct 04, 2018
Is it just me or some women dont know the difference between feminism and women rights activism........ Can you believe that people follow this advice....from a married feminist chai....pls show me a place where women and men are not given equal rights in nigeria..... Now they want to start sharing properties and giving us house chores..... A man can help if he wants to... Its not a must......not just that they want to reduce the dignity and lifestyle of man to integrate with that of the women so it seems equal..... The difference between men and women.... Is the same as rich and poor, young and old....due to their different nature you dont expect the other to do what they arent inclined to just to feel equal (i.e its just like me telling dangote to drink garri without sugar so I will become equal with him....impossible)...
When feminist in the women rights activist clothing came, they told us to stop beating our wives and allow them to be free and work....thats when we started seeing women workers even female bricklayers and nepa officials...
Suddenly, they grew wings and even told us to help carry the children and stop leaving it for our wives alone....we grumbled but we still agreed and did it....
Now you are telling us to start breastfeeding the children and start tying them to our backs so you can believe you are equal......and am beginning to wonder....are you normal??!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by Paulosky1900: 10:21pm On Oct 04, 2018
TalkTalkTwins:
wow
I love Chimaamanda!
I love Chimaamanda!!
I love Chimaamanda!!!

My love for her is like copied assignments, I just can't explain 'em. smiley
This lady is always making sense, but the typical Nairalander is blinded by culture.
Attack her and she keeps going viral.
Keep on hating and she keeps gracing the fp.

Have you ever asked yourself who made those culture you live to fulfill?
Did they fall from the sky?
Can't they be amended?

Feminism is simply, EQUALITY OF THE BOTH SEXES! I'm a guy and I support it 100%. Don't cheat me and I'd never cheat you.
It's as simple as that. No one chose which sexes they were born with, so why should one be superior?

If you're quoting me, please make some sense. That's all I have to say!

shut up!
you are a gay not a guy, sensible ladies rejects it so stop consoling yourself.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by scott04: 10:54pm On Oct 04, 2018
igiot make mo cens wen u yarn
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by princeade86(m): 11:11pm On Oct 04, 2018
okeyfineboy:

And who told you women don't do more than that? Some women carry all the expenses in the family from paying children sch fee to house rent, feeding and other things. I feel men who have issues with equality have low self esteem.

All of you saying both sexes are not equal, are you trying to say you're greater than Chimamanda because you're a man?

Some of you are even trying to compare strength as a reason a man is greater, wasn't it on this platform that the news of a wife beating her husband was put on front page? Are you saying the wife in this case is greater because she has more strength?

Men and women are equal but in the family setting, a man is the head, the women is the neck, a man needs his wife and vice versa.
and how is she greater than me sir? because she writes books? is not my line sir.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by princeade86(m): 11:13pm On Oct 04, 2018
dasparrow:

They already are but in Nigeria they are told not to tell anyone so that they don't hurt their husband's fragile ego. My older sister is married to some Nigerian loser who has no job. She is single handedly carrying all the financial burdens of her family. Stop making it look like all Nigerian married men are providers because many are not. Many are liabilities!
thanks for ur mature reply, unlike many nairalander that turn dis forum to fight.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by TalkTalkTwins(m): 11:13pm On Oct 04, 2018
Paulosky1900:

[s]shut up!
you are a gay not a guy, sensible ladies rejects it so stop consoling yourself.[/s]

next please
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by amyzon: 11:41pm On Oct 04, 2018
spikemmy:

i hope when you are married and give birth to both boys and girls and they attain the age of 15 you will ask the girl child to wash the cars, fetch water, weed the grasses, do all the hard jobs that we feel are meant for guys...
when you beat both of them for wrongs, i hope you will allow the male child cry and not shut him that he is a man and doesnt have to cry.
i hope your husband gives equal amount of pocket money given to the girl child to the boy
and finally, you have to share the responsibilities equally with your husband ranging from rents, bills, school fees, shopping bills etc
if you are not here to monitor all these then your feminism claim is false

Funny how you make it sound cos I was raised that way. My father May his sweet soul rest in peace raised us to work together in every thing. The only time you don't work in my house is when you are at school and not because you are a boy or girl
If he is doing plumbers work , I'm doing it with him
If he is doing mechanical work, I'm doing it with him
If theirs work at the factory , then we are all not done for the day.
It doesn't matter how hard, dirty and clean the work is

We use to complain then, but after I left my house and experience other people, I realised how lucky iam
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by Shelumiel: 6:34am On Oct 05, 2018
NwaMammyWater:

YOUR USELESS CULTURE IS THE REASON FOR YOUR BACKWARDNESS
Feminism is the origin of lesbianism, divorce, broken homes , single and frustrated mothers who you watch and see on American TV. And you want that kind of rubbish here ? Is that not more backward than the culture we have that puts such in check ? Mtchww. ..clueless fellow
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by texazzpete(m): 9:30am On Oct 05, 2018
Shelumiel:
You just mentioned the evils of culture but you failed to mention the good parts of it, why ? Is it not in culture you find greetings and respect ? But what has feminism from the west achieved for us here ...are things like lesbianism not products of feminism ? Please before talking, think .

My brother, if you think lesbianism is a product of feminism, I am extremely sorry for you and the stunted education you have received.

You see those ‘evil parts’ you talk about? Feminism fights to eradicate that.
Fighting to allow females to vote. Fighting to allow females inherit. Fighting to ensure the rights of widows are not trampled on. Fighting to allow women bail out suspects in jail.

But you lazy cowards will never see this. For you, it all boils down to who makes the Egusi soup, who kneels down for you and who submits herself to be a punching bag.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by spikemmy(m): 12:01pm On Oct 05, 2018
amyzon:

Funny how you make it sound cos I was raised that way. My father May his sweet soul rest in peace raised us to work together in every thing. The only time you don't work in my house is when you are at school and not because you are a boy or girl
If he is doing plumbers work , I'm doing it with him
If he is doing mechanical work, I'm doing it with him
If theirs work at the factory , then we are all not done for the day.
It doesn't matter how hard, dirty and clean the work is

We use to complain then, but after I left my house and experience other people, I realised how lucky iam
your case is different... you are so lucky.. This is not the case for many families.. 1 in every 100.. Someone like you has been groomed to think and act independently but many others out there aint
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by amyzon: 1:31pm On Oct 05, 2018
spikemmy:

your case is different... you are so lucky.. This is not the case for many families.. 1 in every 100.. Someone like you has been groomed to think and act independently but many others out there aint

I think the feminist movement are just trying to educate other parents on the importance of letting their girl child reach her potential.
I'm married now and running my house and business. Being a hard working independent lady didn't stop me from being a good woman and a good wife
Most of our Nigerian men want a slave for a wife.
And most of our women don't even know the difference between slavery and being a good wife.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by Akuruoulo(m): 4:39pm On Oct 05, 2018
Where are all this weak ass holes from? Let me assume I av four boys in my home, and now u will expect me to share my property to a woman who will soon get married and leave the house. Whereas my boys will get a woman down to my home . The four boys will marry and establish the place (they need land to build their own house each, my companies they will succeed me etc), and u think I will share my property to the women who will leave the family weather the family is in good or bad state ,and enter a new home. THEIR ARE SOO MANY WOMEN WHO ARE RESPECT MORE THAN MEN. IF U CAN'T AFFORD TO BE ONE U JUST SHUT UR MOUTH.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by Akuruoulo(m): 4:44pm On Oct 05, 2018
Is she ready to share her husband's wealth will her brothers? The boys are 100% home committed while the girls will leave the home for ever
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by Akuruoulo(m): 4:49pm On Oct 05, 2018
If the home is in bad condition the boys will face it forever, only they girls who feel like to interfere after marriage will. I c no equality. Women are superior in some department, while men are superior in their own department.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by Akuruoulo(m): 4:54pm On Oct 05, 2018
There is no equality when war erupts, there is no equality when spending time occurs, no equality when hard work occurs, they only want equality where it favours them. Stupidity at its...
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by Akuruoulo(m): 4:57pm On Oct 05, 2018
Even abroad sef women do their women stuff. Don't be deceived
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by HungerBAD: 4:44am On Oct 13, 2018
Simplep:
Tell all dis nairaland Ladies dat thought feminism is abt attacking and controling the male folks
jst like below grin

Funny lady.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by Nobody: 7:29am On Oct 13, 2018
Morning sir
HungerBAD:

Funny lady.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by HungerBAD: 12:42pm On Oct 13, 2018
Simplep:
Morning sir

Good morning Madam.

How was your night?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by Nobody: 8:45pm On Oct 13, 2018
Fine,urs?
HungerBAD:

Good morning Madam.

How was your night?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by Nobody: 8:59pm On Oct 13, 2018
texazzpete:

My brother, if you think lesbianism is a product of feminism, I am extremely sorry for you and the stunted education you have received.

You see those ‘evil parts’ you talk about? Feminism fights to eradicate that.
Fighting to allow females to vote. Fighting to allow females inherit. Fighting to ensure the rights of widows are not trampled on. Fighting to allow women bail out suspects in jail.

But you lazy cowards will never see this. For you, it all boils down to who makes the Egusi soup, who kneels down for you and who submits herself to be a punching bag.
baba are you saying all female women rights activist are feminist because all the tins you mentioned here are what activists do
Re: Chimamanda Adichie Speaks Pidgin English, Reveals What Feminism Means To Her by HungerBAD: 11:17am On Oct 14, 2018
Simplep:
Fine,urs?

Can't complain,thanks.

May everything we set out to achieve this week be fruitful. Take care.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Burial(Fears and Fierce) / BARTER TRADE ( Fiction With Nairaland Characters) / The Chronicles Of Taofik Shakitibobo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.