Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:16 AM

The First Time I Was Offered A Journalism Job In Nigeria. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The First Time I Was Offered A Journalism Job In Nigeria. (337 Views)

A Girl Who Was Offered N200m For A One Night But She Refused Offer / "I Was Offered N100 Million To Incriminate Davido In The Death Of Tagbo / You Visited Someone And This Kind Of Bed Was Offered To You, What Would You Do (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The First Time I Was Offered A Journalism Job In Nigeria. by Kayharry(m): 10:14pm On Oct 04, 2018
“ the newspaper owner suggested that I supplement my income with bribes. He told me: ‘I’m giving you a platform. Use what you have to get what you need.’ I knew then that the rumors were true. Journalism in this country was corrupted. There was no idealism. Reporters were writing stories for money. And even more damaging, they were killing stories for money. I didn’t want to participate. I felt it would be more ethical to just find a corporate job. But in 2008, I was given the opportunity to manage a new paper founded by Nigeria’s only Pulitzer Prize winner—Dele Olojede. The paper was called Next. And we tried to change things. We hired young people who were untainted by the culture. Half of them were women. We paid them well and we trained them well. Ethics came first. Accepting gifts was absolutely forbidden. Our paper survived for three years. During that time, we broke major stories every single week. We exposed all sorts of corruption. But we were targeted for our success. Our reporters were detained. Our board members were threatened. The government leaned on our advertisers, and they withdrew one by one. Eventually we were forced to close. But for three years we set the pace. We created a mold. And I believe we changed the media landscape. Investigative journalism is stronger now. Many of our journalists have gone on to start amazing publications of their own. The paper may have been short lived, but I know it had an impact. Revolution is too strong of a word-- but we definitely shook the table.”

Humanofny(Lagos, Nigeria)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The First Time I Was Offered A Journalism Job In Nigeria. by okwabayi(m): 4:41am On Oct 05, 2018
Why not make a mega thread of these stories? It would make more sense and a more interesting read. What you're doing with these short accounts is only whetting my appetite.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The First Time I Was Offered A Journalism Job In Nigeria. by Kayharry(m): 7:38am On Oct 05, 2018
As it unfold

(1) (Reply)

Correlation Between Green Bottles and Linguistic Proficiency / Unicaf Online Scholarship / Have You Made Money On Nairaland?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.