Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,413 members, 7,815,925 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:08 PM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 - Travel (397) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 (865748 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (394) (395) (396) (397) (398) (399) (400) ... (546) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Qudkom(m): 7:01pm On Apr 22, 2019
Schonebaby:
Hmmm...this week must be our week oo shocked shocked . Can I get an Amen!
Amen.... Prof. Emeritus Shonebaby(WAEC, Bsc, Msc, Nysc etc)...... grin

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Teophilus96(m): 7:15pm On Apr 22, 2019
Good day Nairalanders
There is a wise saying that goes like this " To know the road ahead, ask those coming back*. Also there is another one which says *Make hay while the sun shines*.

I am currently in my 400 level and I intend to study abroad by means of schorlaship. I am currently on a CGPA above 4.0 (under a 5.0 scale) after my 300 level (meaning that I still have 4 semesters to go). I may make a first-class or may be a strong 2:1. But whichever the case, I know for sure that by God's grace, I am coming out with a very good result.

I intend doing my Masters abroad after my first degree, but I am lost. I don't know where to start from. I want to make hay while the sun shines, and also, I want to know how to go about it.
Those who have gone this road I am about to take should please give me a detailed steps on how to secure a fully funded Scholarship abroad. I would really appreciate.

Mind you, I have MCGILL on my mind, and I intend studying Bioesources Engineering or any related course.
Thank you.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Stonecoldsteve: 7:46pm On Apr 22, 2019
Hi,
It's great you are already thinking of your future at this stage. It's also nice you have a firm consciousness of how much your final class of degree will affect your future academic endeavours. As much as good grades are nice to have, most recruiters are more interested in how much transferable skills you have been able to gather. There are five things you will need to consider:
1. Your background: Your background should tally with your intended postgraduate degree if you want to have a strong application for funding. For Bioresources Engineering, you should be able to show a background in Agric. Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Biology or anything related.
2. Publication record: This will set you apart from other students competing with you for limited funds. Approach your professors, masters or PhD students and volunteer to assist with their research in exchange for co-authorship. It will be tedious for you but rewarding in the end. This early collaboration will also help you with easy references when you begin your application. You can also try and publishing in the student category of conferences related to Bioresources Engineering or your background.
3. Your grades: You are already conscious of this so keep your foot on the gas pedal.
4. Programming and Statistical skills: Learn how to use MATLAB and also learn basic programming like c++. Have some idea of ANOVA and Response Surface Methodology (RSM). Adding these skills in your CV will set you apart.
5. Networking:Start researching Professors in McGill who you hope to work with and focus on their research interests. Professors will only supervise you and offer you funding if your research interest aligns with theirs. Start a relationship by emailing them and asking questions about their research or other questions around their area of specialization. This will help you you when you are finally ready to apply to McGill
Teophilus96:
Good day Nairalanders
There is a wise saying that goes like this " To know the road ahead, ask those coming back*. Also there is another one which says *Make hay while the sun shines*.

I am currently in my 400 level and I intend to study abroad by means of schorlaship. I am currently on a CGPA above 4.0 (under a 5.0 scale) after my 300 level (meaning that I still have 4 semesters to go). I may make a first-class or may be a strong 2:1. But whichever the case, I know for sure that by God's grace, I am coming out with a very good result.

I intend doing my Masters abroad after my first degree, but I am lost. I don't know where to start from. I want to make hay while the sun shines, and also, I want to know how to go about it.
Those who have gone this road I am about to take should please give me a detailed steps on how to secure a fully funded Scholarship abroad. I would really appreciate.

Mind you, I have MCGILL on my mind, and I intend studying Bioesources Engineering or any related course.
Thank you.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Teophilus96(m): 7:58pm On Apr 22, 2019
Stonecoldsteve:
Hi,
It's great you are already thinking of your future at this stage. It's also nice you have a firm consciousness of how much your final class of degree will affect your future academic endeavours. As much as good grades are nice to have, most recruiters are more interested in how much transferable skills you have been able to gather. There are five things you will need to consider:
1. Your background: Your background should tally with your intended postgraduate degree if you want to have a strong application for funding. For Bioresources Engineering, you should be able to show a background in Agric. Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Biology or anything related.
2. Publication record: This will set you apart from other students competing with you for limited funds. Approach your professors, masters or PhD students and volunteer to assist with their research in exchange for co-authorship. It will be tedious for you but rewarding in the end. This early collaboration will also help you with easy references when you begin your application. You can also try and publishing in the student category of conferences related to Bioresources Engineering or your background.
3. Your grades: You are already conscious of this so keep your foot on the gas pedal.
4. Programming and Statistical skills: Learn how to use MATLAB and also learn basic programming like c++. Have some idea of ANOVA and Response Surface Methodology (RSM). Adding these skills in your CV will set you apart.
5. Networking:Start researching Professors in McGill who you hope to work with and focus on their research interests. Professors will only supervise you and offer you funding if your research interest aligns with theirs. Start a relationship by emailing them and asking questions about their research or other questions around their area of specialization. This will help you you when you are finally ready to apply to McGill

Wow! Thanks a lot for taking out time to write this. I really appreciate.

From the points you listed above, I think I am lacking in the area of
(1)Networking, and
(2)) PUBLICATION RECORD

In the area of NETWORKING
Lols, how is it easy to start asking a Prof from MCGILL questions? I mean what if one fumbles by not giving a right answer to a question from him. Wouldn't it be a red flag??
But I'll like to know how to do it.

In the area of PUBLICATION RECORD
Well I think this should be easier, since I can approach any of my lecturers, but I hope it won't cost me much finances?? lols.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Schonebaby: 8:08pm On Apr 22, 2019
Qudkom:

Amen.... Prof. Emeritus Shonebaby(WAEC, Bsc, Msc, Nysc etc)...... grin
grin grin

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Teophilus96(m): 8:08pm On Apr 22, 2019
[quote author=Stonecoldsteve post]

Please can you also list out the Documents I need for the scholarship and also the exams I need to write. Thanks
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Bertram87: 8:12pm On Apr 22, 2019
Happy Easter holidays to everyone.

Please a quick question...

Is there need for another biometrics this year, given that the first biometrics was done in April 2018?

Thanks.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Dynatron: 8:19pm On Apr 22, 2019
Senatorkolade:

Amen

Good evening @Qudkom at all

Although they didn't tick the misrepresentation box, they stated that I didn't answer truthfully, see below:�

From the documents which you have submitted in support of your application, I am not satisfied that you
have answered all questions truthfully, as required by subsection 16(1) of the Act. Specifically, I am not
satisfied that the following information is truthful

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Qudkom(m): 8:42pm On Apr 22, 2019
Dynatron:

Good evening @Qudkom at all

Although they didn't tick the misrepresentation box, they stated that I didn't answer truthfully, see below:�

From the documents which you have submitted in support of your application, I am not satisfied that you
have answered all questions truthfully, as required by subsection 16(1) of the Act. Specifically, I am not
satisfied that the following information is truthful
Ok now I am settled. I was worried for you. Going forward, each of those reasons have to be dealt with accordingly. I'll also advise you get the gcms note. No need to rush your next application.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Anamekele: 8:44pm On Apr 22, 2019
Schonebaby:
Strong Amen

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Stonecoldsteve: 8:48pm On Apr 22, 2019
In the area of publication record, you will not be committed financially as all costs will be borne by your lecturer/professor or the postgraduate student you're working with. Your job will be to help with taking readings for experiments or presenting data.[

For Networking, you can go through the professor's publications on Google scholar or Researchgate and politely request for a copy of their publication you're interested in. Ask questions on their methodology, conclusion or any part of the paper you may/may not have issues with. They will be happy to respond though they are very busy people.

You do not need to write any exam to apply for funding. When you are ready to apply, let the professor know your intention and send him/her your CV and transcript/degree certificates in a mail. If the professor is impressed, he/she invites you for a skype interview where all the skills outlined on your CV are assessed.

You can send me a private message if you have any more queries
Teophilus96:

Wow! Thanks a lot for taking out time to write this. I really appreciate.

From the points you listed above, I think I am lacking in the area of
(1)Networking, and
(2)) PUBLICATION RECORD

In the area of NETWORKING
Lols, how is it easy to start asking a Prof from MCGILL questions? I mean what if one fumbles by not giving a right answer to a question from him. Wouldn't it be a red flag??
But I'll like to know how to do it.

In the area of PUBLICATION RECORD
Well I think this should be easier, since I can approach any of my lecturers, but I hope it won't cost me much finances?? lols.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Tjkeyzzz: 9:00pm On Apr 22, 2019
Hello guys...

Please I need an LOE format..ejoor,e help mi

And how much am I paying for reallocation o..I heard it has to be 67k again haven done biometrics before..
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Tjkeyzzz: 9:00pm On Apr 22, 2019
Reapplication*
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by deebee23: 9:01pm On Apr 22, 2019
Schonebaby:

Amen

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by JustMellow: 9:04pm On Apr 22, 2019
Bertram87:
Happy Easter holidays to everyone.

Please a quick question...

Is there need for another biometrics this year, given that the first biometrics was done in April 2018?

Thanks.

There has been a mounting confusion regarding this situation. However, IRCC website stated that any applicants who had done biometrics prior after July 31, 2018 won't have to undergo such process over again for the next 10yrs but for an applicant who underwent such process prior before July 31, 2018 would have to undergo it again to enable IRCC update their record to stay valid for next 10yrs for such applicant.

My point is this: in my opinion and observations, I don't think this rule has coherently been followed owing to the fact that "most applicants" who got refused in the erstwhile prior before July 31, 2018 didn't undergo the biometrics process again and still got a favourable decision.

I haven't fully articulate how or why, but what i have gotten to understand with some applicant's applications on this forum and outside, when filling the IMM1294E form, input your UCI number in the provided column and wait to see if at the final stage prior to submission, (if its an online application) if it would require you to pay the sum total of $235 for both visa fee and biometrics fee or just $150 for the visa fee. Same should be for the paper route, just that you have to verbally enquire the feasibility of such endeavour from the VFS representatives.

Good luck!
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by JustMellow: 9:16pm On Apr 22, 2019
Stonecoldsteve:
Hi,

I can't agree less, very insightful.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Teophilus96(m): 9:20pm On Apr 22, 2019
Stonecoldsteve:
In the area of publication record, you will not be committed financially as all costs will be borne by your lecturer/professor or the postgraduate student you're working with. Your job will be to help with taking readings for experiments or presenting data.[

For Networking, you can go through the professor's publications on Google scholar or Researchgate and politely request for a copy of their publication you're interested in. Ask questions on their methodology, conclusion or any part of the paper you may/may not have issues with. They will be happy to respond though they are very busy people.

You do not need to write any exam to apply for funding. When you are ready to apply, let the professor know your intention and send him/her your CV and transcript/degree certificates in a mail. If the professor is impressed, he/she invites you for a skype interview where all the skills outlined on your CV are assessed.

You can send me a private message if you have any more queries

Wow Thanks a lot sir.
I seem not to know how to use the PM till now.

But with all this piece above, I'll surely start right away!
Thank you so much and may God bless.
I'll let you know when I need your further advice sir.
Thanks
smiley smiley smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Dynatron: 9:47pm On Apr 22, 2019
Qudkom:

Ok now I am settled. I was worried for you. Going forward, each of those reasons have to be dealt with accordingly. I'll also advise you get the gcms note. No need to rush your next application.

Dear Qudkom,

I have the GCMS notes.
The rejection was since Feb 2016.
I waited until now to reapply and have admission to study a masters in leadership (Business)...I don try small na�

Do want to see the GCMS?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Bertram87: 10:12pm On Apr 22, 2019
[quote author=JustMellow post=77770093]

There has been a mounting confusion regarding this situation. However, IRCC website stated that any applicants who had done biometrics prior after July 31, 2018 won't have to undergo such process over again for the next 10yrs but for an applicant who underwent such process prior before July 31, 2018 would have to undergo it again to enable IRCC update their record to stay valid for next 10yrs for such applicant.

My point is this: in my opinion and observations, I don't think this rule has coherently been followed owing to the fact that "most applicants" who got refused in the erstwhile prior before July 31, 2018 didn't undergo the biometrics process again and still got a favourable decision.

I haven't fully articulate how or why, but what i have gotten to understand with some applicant's applications on this forum and outside, when filling the IMM1294E form, input your UCI number in the provided column and wait to see if at the final stage prior to submission, (if its an online application) if it would require you to pay the sum total of $235 for both visa fee and biometrics fee or just $150 for the visa fee. Same should be for the paper route, just that you have to verbally enquire the feasibility of such endeavour from the VFS representatives.

Good luck!

@JustMellow

Thank you very much for your reply. I really appreciate it.
Biometrics has been updated as valid until 2028 when checked. Just like you have said the rules have not been followed and there has been confusions....

I will sure let you know how it played out. Plus I sent you a PM..... Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Qudkom(m): 10:19pm On Apr 22, 2019
Dynatron:

Dear Qudkom,

I have the GCMS notes.
The rejection was since Feb 2016.
I waited until now to reapply and have admission to study a masters in leadership (Business)...I don try small na�

Do want to see the GCMS?

Ok, it's a good thing you waited 2 years. A lot could have changed since the last time. So you have to package the application well with extra sauce lol. Yes share the gcms note asap.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by emmanuel90(m): 11:17pm On Apr 22, 2019
Toheebbello:

I applied in November 2018, but you know the processes for U of R is plenty, I just did the WES stuff now, so I'm still waiting, what session did you apply to? Winter 2020?

Sept 2019
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by kams19(m): 12:14am On Apr 23, 2019
Gurus in the house I want to ask a question. seems foolish but it's important to me

am a graduate with Msc. I got admission for a Bsc Psychology in Brandon University. I applied because undergraduate admission is a lot easier

now am confused if I should take it. or continue trying to get Msc admission or apply to express entry
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Qudkom(m): 1:09am On Apr 23, 2019
kams19:
Gurus in the house I want to ask a question. seems foolish but it's important to me

am a graduate with Msc. I got admission for a Bsc Psychology in Brandon University. I applied because undergraduate admission is a lot easier

now am confused if I should take it. or continue trying to get Msc admission or apply to express entry

Just one sentence; If it doesn't look right to you then it won't in the eye of a trained VO

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Qudkom(m): 1:10am On Apr 23, 2019
kams19:

Do yourself a solid and apply for a post graduate program.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by imade1: 1:25am On Apr 23, 2019
My sponsor is an uncle, as for commitment he paid my tuition deposit but my salary acc was below 150k but there was an inflow and outflow in d acc, don't knw if the 10000cad is paid to my acc by my sponsor will pull through??
JustMellow:

-How was your SOP
-Who was your sponsor/What's the relationship of your sponsor to you
-Was there any commitment from your sponsor
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Dynatron: 4:42am On Apr 23, 2019
Qudkom:

Ok, it's a good thing you waited 2 years. A lot could have changed since the last time. So you have to package the application well with extra sauce lol. Yes share the gcms note asap.

Good morning,

Please find attached the GCMS.
It is my hope to submit this very very soon.
So sorry to appear like I am rushing it but I need to submit it soon.

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by abelorode: 7:21am On Apr 23, 2019
Good morning all. Anyone with the direct link to order GCMS note should kindly help me with it. Thanks.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Tjkeyzzz: 7:57am On Apr 23, 2019
Good morning guys..happy Easter

So I want to be clear about something,

I want to reapply, but am not sure if I can include a certification course I did with my application,though I didn't include it in my first application,not diploma, it's just a certification course in project management,I got admitted to study business administration...

I hope it won't have any negative effect,as in why didn't I put it in my first application

Thanks..

And to those that have reapplied ,please how much did you pay for the second application,still 67k
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by gatsbym4(m): 9:31am On Apr 23, 2019
Good morning people...
Please I need help...
Regarding proof of financial capability, can sponsor which is dad, collect a letter from his micro finance bank and in the letter they state that he is capable of collecting a particular amount of loan, let’s say 3m...which will be used to settle school fees...
@frankrobb
@Austacus
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Qudkom(m): 9:52am On Apr 23, 2019
Dynatron:

Good morning,

Please find attached the GCMS.
It is my hope to submit this very very soon.
So sorry to appear like I am rushing it but I need to submit it soon.
There is work to be done on your refusal. The VO obviously think you are clueless about the entire application. They obviously saw many naive mistakes you made. This isn't the usual finance, home ties etc situation this is far different and I hopw you've picked one or two things from this thread. Now your next application needs to be solid and address key informations right from your finace down to home ties. Also the following will be needed in the next application:

1. The refusal document you failed to provide the last time.

2. An almighty SOP and letter of APPEAL!!!

3. Adequate financial portfolio.

4. Proof of home ties

5. Most importantly like the VO mentioned a reasonable academic program that shows progression in your studies. Goodluck in your next application and if you run into any brickwalls seek counsel from this forum or send me a message. Good luck
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Qudkom(m): 10:03am On Apr 23, 2019
gatsbym4:
Good morning people...
Please I need help...
Regarding proof of financial capability, can sponsor which is dad, collect a letter from his micro finance bank and in the letter they state that he is capable of collecting a particular amount of loan, let’s say 3m...which will be used to settle school fees...
@frankrobb
@Austacus

Bro, a VO will have issues understanding why you'd need to seek a loan for a program that could otherwise be enrolled for in Nigeria. This isn't a student loan this is your father straining himself to provide the necessary finance.

All this raises the "Personal asset and finance" flag in the eye of a VO. Lastly, the money isn't at hand rather a promise note from a microbank assuring disbursement of a loan facility that would otherwise only cover 1st semester fees and a few month living expense. If you aren't only your father's dependent then I think you know what comes next. Please plan your financial portfolio accordingly.

P.s: I think the vo will find it hard to believe a document from a micro finance body and should be a last resort or addition to other documents. All the best rooting for a successful trv application.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 by Qudkom(m): 10:05am On Apr 23, 2019
Tjkeyzzz:
Good morning guys..happy Easter

So I want to be clear about something,

I want to reapply, but am not sure if I can include a certification course I did with my application,though I didn't include it in my first application,not diploma, it's just a certification course in project management,I got admitted to study business administration...

I hope it won't have any negative effect,as in why didn't I put it in my first application

Thanks..

And to those that have reapplied ,please how much did you pay for the second application,still 67k
If it's in addition to your Bsc. Degree then it doesn't matter you can include it. Try and show a breakdown of what you intend to submit hopefully people can put you through. Your next application you should only need to pay your application fee less biometrics.

(1) (2) (3) ... (394) (395) (396) (397) (398) (399) (400) ... (546)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 / Lets Talk About Estonia / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 12

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.