Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,976 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:27 AM

Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 (42134 Views)

Forex Policy:Virgin Atlantic Will Not Pull Out Of Nigeria / Eko Gas Scheme: Lagos Tasks Residents On Use Of Cooking Gas / Eko Atlantic City, Lagos. The Largest Project Executed In The Whole Of Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by ezeagu(m): 1:31am On Jul 21, 2010
Mariory:

Must you live there to beneit from it? Do you always live where you work? Do you always live where you shop? Do you always live where you go to enjoy leisure activities? Do you always live where you spend money? Think outside the box fellow Nigerians. Think!

Responding with questions? Think!. . . . and ask the person who I quoted all those questions.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by paddylo1(m): 2:22am On Jul 21, 2010
Responding with questions? Think!. . . . and ask the person who I quoted all those questions.
Mugu the question is addressed to u cause u are the one trying to discredit the project. . .
My full quotes are below b4 u try and quote me halfway. . .jokes on u pal
its seems that u dont even know on what side of the arguement u are anymore. . . lol

MY FULL QUOTE FROM PAGE 6
"Its a project for the benefit of u and all nigerians that can afford to reside there

Even if u cant afford to reside there u can go there for high end shopping,relaxing,bar hopping u name it"
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-477443.160.html
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by Mariory(m): 3:01am On Jul 21, 2010
ezeagu:

Those questions were directed at you because you seem to think there is nothing to "benefit" from the project.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by babapupa: 5:47am On Jul 21, 2010
ezeagu:

Since the questions above signal the repetitiveness of this thread, I'll leave you with one answer so this thread can end:

"Its a project for the benefit of u and all nigerians that can afford to reside there."
- One of the "intelligent" "articulating" "well read" members of Nairaland.

Basically, you are against this project because the average Nigerian can not afford to reside there? Going by the same thinking, the Government of Lagos state shouldn't and never allow this/any investment within the state unless the average/poor Lagosian is guaranteed access and affordability? (It is still my believe that your silly and petty argument is strictly tribal)

Also. Daimler Benz shouldn't be allowed to open up a production/manufacturing plant in Nigeria because the average/poor Lagosian can not afford a Benz?

The questions was an opportunity for you to redeem yourself, but you blew it by clueless displaying the fact that I've been going back and forth with the dumbest and mentally challenged human being  alive.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by ezeagu(m): 2:43pm On Jul 21, 2010
paddy_lo:

Mugu the question is addressed to u cause u are the one trying to discredit the project. . .
My full quotes are below b4 u try and quote me halfway. . .jokes on u pal
its seems that u dont even know on what side of the arguement u are anymore. . . lol

MY FULL QUOTE FROM PAGE 6
"Its a project for the benefit of u and all nigerians that can afford to reside there

Even if u cant afford to reside there u can go there for high end shopping,relaxing,bar hopping u name it"
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-477443.160.html

Okay. . . . what was your point? How does "benefit of u and all nigerians that can afford to reside there" equal to 'benefit of the whole of Lagos'?

Mariory:

Those questions were directed at you because you seem to think there is nothing to "benefit" from the project.

The only person who wrote the word "benefit" is above you, so ask them questions.

babapupa:

Basically, you are against this project because the average Nigerian can not afford to reside there?

In case you didn't read the brilliant and "intelligent" quote, I'll post it again for you to see:

"Its a project for the benefit of u and all nigerians that can afford to reside there"

I thought this was a fair way to end this thread, but obviously you Guardian Angels of Lagos' image want me to fully convert, get on my knees and worship the Lagos government without even giving any reasonable argument, instead this is what you can write:

paddy_lo:

Mugu the question is addressed to u

babapupa:

The questions was an opportunity for you to redeem yourself, but you blew it by clueless displaying the fact that I've been going back and forth with the dumbest and  mentally challenged human being  alive.

So who are the ones clearly frustrated in this thread?
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by babapupa: 3:08pm On Jul 21, 2010
No need to keep re-affirming your ignorance and lack of a functioning brain.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by babapupa: 3:17pm On Jul 21, 2010
Fashola Signs Law To Standardise Tourism, Hotel Practice In Lagos

Jul 19, 2010 - Lagos State Governor, Mr Babatunde Fashola (SAN) on Monday signed into law a bill for the regulation and standardization of the tourism sector including hotel practice in the State, saying the future holds much more than oil for major oil producing countries.

[b]Governor Fashola who spoke at the Conference Room of the Lagos House, Ikeja added that this explains why such oil producing giants are now investing their oil proceeds to diversify away from oil and move into other sectors like Agriculture, knowledge based economy like Information Technology, Green Energy and Tourism.

Said he: "Lagos is one of those States that have the capacity to really diversify its economy towards the area of tourism and that is why we have spent so much of tax payers money trying to provide the environment that would support a growth of tourism".

The Governor explained that tourism is about destination, saying if the people cannot get there, there is no tourism.

Governor Fashola added that this explains the massive construction of road network such as the Lagos Badagry Expressway, the Lekki-Epe Concession which are strategic investments to boost tourism and improve the economic possibilities that lie there.

"We have the same Atlantic Ocean that goes all the way round the West Coast and as far as Brazil, saying: "If Brazil is making money from the Atlantic, why are we not doing the same thing. Laws like this also exist in all those jurisdictions".

Governor Fashola acknowledged that the tourism and hospitality sector of the economy is looking up and getting better by the day, citing the instances of many businesses that hitherto closed at 7pm but now extending till late in the night.

"More hotels have opened in Lagos in the last three years and more are still coming. It is important for us to be able to measure this growth. Legislations such as this will enable us, apart from reviewing some of the prescriptions here to bring them in conformity with current laws and have a data where it is possible to enable us know how many new people come into this economy or how many people it is employing", the Governor added.

The Governor said in addition to the fact that it represents a way of self benchmarking, it would also help measure how many people are being employed in the tourism industry in order to empower Government to know how much more it has to do.

In his words: "We complain about unemployment, but we have not really opened up the economy of this state and to the possibilities. For example, our greening has employed over 5000 people. We are also looking at solid waste management, waste water treatment and similar ones that have to be opened up. This is also an economic policy that can expand the economy".[/b]

Governor Fashola thanked the members of the State House of Assembly for enacting the useful piece of legislation.

Earlier, while giving an insight into the bill, the Special Adviser to the Governor on Political and Legislative Matters, Hon AbdulHakeem AbdulLateef said the law will standardize the tourism sector as well as regulate hotel practice by amending the provisions of the hotel licensing law of 2003.

Hon AbdulHakeem disclosed that immediately the Governor assents to the bill, the hotel licensing law of 2003 becomes amended, adding the law has been expanded to include the regulation of tourism practice.

He explained that the former law which stipulates that no person shall operate or keep any brothel without obtaining license or permission from the Hotel and Tourism licensing authority has been amended to read that no person would be allowed to operate a hotel establishment or practice tourism in Lagos State in any premises without first obtaining the license of the authority.

He explained that the penalties prescribed under the former law are so outdated that it has witnessed high level of disobedience with maximum penalties ranging between N100 and N200 for offences.

The Special Adviser also said the new law has also given power to Hotel and Tourism Licensing Authority to standardize, regulate and grade the various hotels and tourism businesses operating in Lagos State in line with best practices.

He said the Commissioner responsible for managing the provisions of the new law is the Honourable Commissioner for Tourism and Inter-Governmental Relations.

The event was witnessed by members of the State Executive Council including the Commissioner for Tourism and Inter-Governmental Relations, Senator Tokunboh Afikuyomi, the Chairman of the House of Assembly Committee on Local Government, Hon Onibiyo Adelabu, representatives of the National Association of Travel Agents and Association of Lagos Hoteliers.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by Mariory(m): 3:53pm On Jul 21, 2010
ezeagu:

The only person who wrote the word "benefit" is above you, so ask them questions.

Ooook.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by Mariory(m): 3:18am On Jul 31, 2010
Update.

Pics courtesy of Marc (Deviantart) and taken form skyscrapercity.com

Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by GAR3TH(m): 5:22am On Aug 01, 2010
New Renders of Eko Atlantic. . .From Skyscrapercity.com

Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by Horus(m): 8:40pm On Aug 11, 2010
Nice pictures.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by olafolarin(m): 7:13am On Aug 12, 2010
Nice indeed but what is the latest on the project and why is it taking so long to reclaim the land.
The reclamation should have been faster.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by AjanleKoko: 8:37am On Aug 12, 2010
Those renditions look like a real fantasy.
For once, those images sway me slightly to the side of the critics. I hope for BRF's sake that this is a 20-year fantasy.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by Justcash(m): 9:33am On Aug 12, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Those renditions look like a real fantasy.
For once, those images sway me slightly to the side of the critics. I hope for BRF's sake that this is a 20-year fantasy.

Ajanlekoko: Nah! The stuff you saw in the picture is very possible in less than 10 yrs. Depends on how fast companies and individuals buy up the lands and commence their building projects. With proper alternative power supply assurance, and Security provision,  I think it will be done in a short while, and will really change the face of Nigeria.

I wonder why Nigerians snub skyscraper city only to embark on tribal bashing on Nairaland. The pictures and news in Skyscraper city gives real hope and assurance. There are alot of good news there. I think more Nigerians need to see that site. That does not mean that they should snub Nairaland o.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by AjanleKoko: 11:09am On Aug 12, 2010
Justcash:

Ajanlekoko: Nah! The stuff you saw in the picture is very possible in less than 10 yrs[b]. Depends on how fast companies and individuals buy up the lands and commence their building projects.[/b] With proper alternative power supply assurance, and Security provision,  I think it will be done in a short while, and will really change the face of Nigeria.

Hmm. That the construction is possible is not in doubt. See the part of your statement that I bolded. We don't really have the companies in Nigeria to buy up these lands and expend billions of USD on constructing this fantasy city. Ikoyi, VI, and Lekki are dotted with half-completed abandoned luxury high-rise buildings. Recently the Churchgate Group opened their 'Churchgate Tower 2' to much fanfare. The building is still very empty. Even their Churchgate 1 is not having the best of times since MTN moved out; they haven't found any new high-profile occupants.

I recently bought a townhouse in Lekki from a developer, into which I just moved in. I'm still the second occupant in a complex of 26 apartments. The company is even struggling to complete the external facilities. When I look at all these issues, I wonder who exactly is going to build this 'ocean city'.

Not that I don't support Fashola though. Deploying PPP vehicles for the provision of mass infrastructure like the toll roads, BRT, and the light rail, all of these make economic sense to me. But a 'fantasy city'? People need to visit Dubai and learn what serious challenges are being faced by this city that is actively and aggressively pushing its tourism and trade opportunities. Nigeria is not even set up to do a hundredth of the kind of effort Dubai is deploying. For me, the FTZ and the new airport, as well as the other mass transit PPP project, is where it should end.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by KnowAll(m): 11:26am On Aug 12, 2010
Even their Churchgate 1 is not having the best of times since MTN moved out; they haven't found any new high-profile occupants.

I recently bought a townhouse in Lekki from a developer, into which I just moved in. I'm still the second occupant in a complex of 26 apartments. The company is even struggling to complete the external facilities. When I look at all these issues, I wonder who exactly is going to build this 'ocean city

[size=14pt]Everything should depend on demand and supply, if you build luxurious flat in Ikoyi and VI and you are expecting people to cough out $80,000.00 per annum on rent is that feasible in a depressed economy like Nigeria.

The rental demands should be at par with what local demands can afford or pay OR better still it should reflect what the market is prepared to pay. Luxirious apartment rental even in the poshest part of town should be between $5,000.00 and tops $20,000.00 per annum and not $80,000.00 per annuals. [/size]
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by AjanleKoko: 12:21pm On Aug 12, 2010
KnowAll:

The rental demands should be at par with what local demands can afford or pay OR better still it should reflect what the market is prepared to pay. Luxirious apartment rental even in the poshest part of town should  be between $5,000.00 and tops $20,000.00 per annum and not $80,000.00 per annuals.  [/size]

Well, so many things are responsible for that. There is predominantly an extortionist mindset in the Nigerian business environment. Everybody in Nigeria expects to cash out to the max, with unrealistic ROI timelines. Nobody has any long-term focus. Banks weren't helping, even when they were financing development, they charged interest at a premium.

I have a friend who's working on a development project somewhere in the mainland. He tells me the company plans to retail each housing unit at N40m. When I asked what the cost of development was, my friend smiled and said ' Roughly N10m per unit'.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by martinosi: 2:04pm On Aug 12, 2010
hmmm
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by Horus(m): 2:22pm On Aug 15, 2010

Pearl Towers - Eko Atlantic City
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by paddylo1(m): 5:43pm On Aug 15, 2010
@Horus

thats a different project. . .the Lekki Free Trade zone. . .
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by womiv(m): 12:24am On Oct 23, 2010
@ paddddy lo: Guy via this arguement you've really informed me of a lot i've looking for where to get informtion about this project i'm not in the country at the moment but while i wa sin NIgeria i was constantly following up on this project and the free trade zone project too you've really helped thanks we need to connnect seriously i'm sure we can make things happen.

nice one
some people wait forever for corrupt african governments to do everything for them while some people seize oppourtunities to get rich and live prosperously still in spite of every bad thing that plagues the country as a whole.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by olafolarin(m): 12:44am On Oct 23, 2010
Those Pictures Are that of LFTZ.
But it seems Progress is still being made their.
I Hope the Greenfield Refineries' construction will Start soon
so As to jump Start the free Zone.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by froms(m): 3:04pm On Dec 01, 2010
Thanks for the pictures and update. But could u pls explain if there is a difference between the eko atlantic city and the free trade zone? or are they the same thing
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by martinosi: 3:08pm On Dec 01, 2010
I am going to do some research about this project and come back with
pictures and video proof of what is really going on when i am in Lagos in Feb 2011
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by martinosi: 3:14pm On Dec 01, 2010
f_roms:

Thanks for the pictures and update. But could u pls explain if there is a difference between the eko atlantic city and the free trade zone? or are they the same thing

The Eko Atlantic city project & the "Free Trade Zone" are not the same thing
Supposedly the "Atlantic city is to be the support in terms of Finance, Commerce, Administration for the Free Trade zone which is supposed to be "Industrial Activity".

The are trying to make this part of Lagos/Victoria Island into a Mini Hong-Kong that will act as a Finance/Administrative/Commerce support to the free trade zone the same why Hong Kong acts as a support for the "Industrial Cities" along the coast of South eastern china.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by froms(m): 7:28pm On Dec 01, 2010
Wow! How come I'm just hearing about these projects? I think I need to move back to Nigeria. I heard Fashola is performing miracles (if I'm permitted to call it that). I even heard he plans to build light railway systems and ferry transport services. Please do you have updates or know where I can get information on all the projects done by Fashola cos he has taken me by surprise. This guy wants to turn Lagos to Dubai. It's gonna be d best. You don't know how excited I am. I have to relocated back from Jand men. This is AWESOME!!!!
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by DapoBear(m): 7:34pm On Dec 01, 2010
^-- Agreed. Hopefully I'll be in Lagos within 2 or 3 years. The progress he is making is fantastic.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by MShittu: 7:45pm On Dec 01, 2010
f_roms:

Wow! How come I'm just hearing about these projects? I think I need to move back to Nigeria. I heard Fashola is performing miracles (if I'm permitted to call it that). I even heard he plans to build light railway systems and ferry transport services. Please do you have updates or know where I can get information on all the projects done by Fashola cos he has taken me by surprise. This guy wants to turn Lagos to Dubai. It's gonna be d best. You don't know how excited I am. I have to relocated back from Jand men. This is AWESOME!!!!
The light rail aint a plan! Construction has started!
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by Horus(m): 10:48pm On Dec 01, 2010
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by Nobody: 12:56am On Dec 02, 2010
Chei. So you mean there are some people who call themselves Nigerians today who are unaware of things like Fashola's new Lagos, Eko Atlantic, Rail projects etc. undecided

In fact, not only is Lagos doing these things, OTHER states are doing things that may surprise you. Enugu, Port-harcourt, Abuja and one or two other cities have city-wide rail projects under construction. Port Harcourt is building a New City, as is Kano and Kaduna.

A lot is going on in Nigeria.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by froms(m): 10:04am On Dec 02, 2010
Believe me, I've got lots of friends (me included) who haven't been to Nigeria in a while and who don't even know these things are happening. I hope no one finds this offensive but I used to see lagos as a slum, till I watched all the videos of fashola's projects on youtube and I saw this forum.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Governor Abiodun Constructs Sango Ota-Ijoko Road; Reconstructs Ota Tollgate / 'It's Not Worth It'; Couple Who Returned From Libya Amid Suffering. Photos / Mother Of Two, Hassana Usman Dies In Airforce Helicopter Crash (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.