Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 (42146 Views)

Forex Policy:Virgin Atlantic Will Not Pull Out Of Nigeria / Eko Gas Scheme: Lagos Tasks Residents On Use Of Cooking Gas / Eko Atlantic City, Lagos. The Largest Project Executed In The Whole Of Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by Kobojunkie: 5:22pm On Jul 13, 2010
debosky:

Can you explain how? The land was 'taken' by the sea, and is now being reclaimed on behalf of the Lagos State government. How has it been taken from the masses? Without the private capital, Lagos cannot afford to reclaim the land, so it is in effect giving land back to the 'masses' since a number of the current occupants of V/I and its environs will move to the city once it is completed and will open up spaces for others to occupy.

Without a doubt it does - and Lagos State has authorised the sale of the land, on behalf of the people of Lagos state.

well  . . . just trying to clarify that the land from the sea is not newly created land but land that was already owned by the state being reclaimed so yes, the Government owns the land. Posts on this has not made that clear in the past. It is not brand new land but old land that was taken up by the sea.

One can also say that the land was taken away from the masses by the sea, and is now being reclaimed. About current occupants of VI moving to the new city, well, if they can afford to, I would think.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by ezeagu(m): 5:37pm On Jul 13, 2010
debosky:

If that is the case for Japan, kindly explain the reasons why Toronto and New York spread into the sea, despite being in countries with some of the largest landmasses on the globe. Lack of space on a national level is not always the driving force for reclamation.

That you are philosophically opposed to the reclamation is not the same as arguing that there is no business case/economic analysis that makes it a viable investment.

Toronto and Manhattan wasn't 90% slum when they extended their shorelines, and they have a history of completing and maintaining their facilities. No one in those cities ride canoes through swamps to get to school or drive on unfinished dirt/potholed roads in the main city. The land reclamation wasn't done at a time where the country was a failed state and Manhattan certainly wasn't doubled in size. Why did they 'spread into the sea'? Well after they've successful ran their city they have the choice to create wharfs, docks and open spaces and I don't think they built an airport on water. Now tell me was their land reclamation done on a major scale like the case of Eko Atlantic, and if so was it done in one project?
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by proudly9ja(m): 6:48pm On Jul 13, 2010
debosky:

With or without Eko Atlantic, the population of Lagos will continue to sky rocket due to rural urban migration. It is disingenuous to say that creating economic activity will cause problems for Lagos, when the people continue to come regardless of whether opportunities exist or not.
But you see, that is where the problem lies. People will continue to come into Lagos, true but in what category will you base these people coming into Lagos? Will the Eko Atlantic project help to accommodate these people or will it cause more problems? Any responsible government will put these factors into view before venturing into such a project.
Like I asked earlier, where are the figures telling us about lagos current population and future predictions? where are the figures telling us that Eko Atlantic will bring more benefits than problems? we can't see those figures and so are right to ask questions.

Maybe the AC government have thought about this and like someone said, maybe its just me directing questions at the wrong people.

debosky:

That question should be directed at the FG - Lagos State's growth is primarily due to migration from other states. It is nearly impossible for Lagos State to do much about the population explosion without help from other states or the Federal Government.
I agree. but you see, this project itself has help from the Federal Government. That is why I believe there is more to it. I remember Tinubu had a long standing problem with the PDP guy who was works minister back then (can't remember his name) on this project. If my memory serves me right, the FG did not approve this project until Yaradua.

If therefore the SG could pursue this project over two administrations, then surely we could also have pursued other projects to contain the population issues Lagos is facing?

Kobojunkie:

I think that is where a majority of those who have asked questions, including self, stand on this, but for some people asking questions is akin to being against the project and therefore you are labelled a detractor . . . lol

I would say you are best directing your question to the right authorities. Many of those selling this project online are only good at copy and paste and have no more information that you can get from google on this. 
Totally agree. People should learn that not everyone who asks questions is a detractor.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by Kobojunkie: 7:07pm On Jul 13, 2010
proudly9ja:

But you see, that is where the problem lies. People will continue to come into Lagos, true but in what category will you base these people coming into Lagos? Will the Eko Atlantic project help to accommodate these people or will it cause more problems? Any responsible government will put these factors into view before venturing into such a project.

FROM EMAIL COMMUNICATION 

As I had stated previously, the project is private: privately funded and controlled. As for how expensive properties will be in Lagos, I can only comment on how much land is for sale. It is up to third party entities to purchase land, develop it and charge for their product type. We are building the land, the infrastructure, roads, utilities, and selling plots.

. . . . Plots are currently available for sale. Plot sizes start at 2000 square meters and up, and have a starting price of $825 and go up to $1660 per square meter (please note we do accept the equivalent in Naira). Price are determined by where your land is in location to water. 

The decision to accommodate average Lagosians on the development is solely the choice of third party developers. If they purchase land on the new site and decide to build to accommodate low income people, that is their decision to make but Eko Atlantic project itself is more or less a 'glorified' land reclamation project. So there is the possibility that this land might be well out of reach of higher earners, and businesses in the state, or even country.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by Kaestro(m): 7:30pm On Jul 13, 2010
proudly9ja:

And if you really look at it, the Eko Atlantic project will cause more problems for Lagos. More people will come in seeking the 'jobs' that will be created and most of these people will be those who cannot afford to buy/rent houses in the new city thereby competing again with the already over populated 'mainlanders'.

In my opinion, I think before government goes into such a project, they need to show us figures. How many people currently stay in lagos? How many of these can afford to stay in Lagos? In 2025 or whenever its being touted Lagos will become the 3rd most populated city in the world, which group of people will dominate this population (those who can afford accommodation or those who can't)? what then is the justification for the new project?
And what is Lagos REALLY doing about the population explosion staring at us?

And I totally don't buy into all these 'its a private sector funded project' talk. That's what they said about that piece of junk currently lying fallow at Marina.
On point.

The issue here as I deduce is not opposing or displaying a negativity towards this project. It clearly is a venture directed mostly for high ROI which is well accepted however what people like myself and other answer seeking posters are asking is how the vacuum left from the current degradation of the other parts of the state will be filled. I understand cities transform into Mega-Cities out of exponential growth, population and most of all economic activity. Even considering the clustering force which is behind the location of the MC in V/I, what can be boasted of in V/I that is mutually common to the businesses there? The growth that lead to the extensions of cities like Tokyo , Toronto etc came from the necessity to create space for its over-flowing production output. Tokyo had countless innovations and technological industries competing for world market share therefore needed to expand with similar catalyst spurring other cities from Industrial growth to entertainment, real estate, information technology etc. There is always an economic driving force behind such magnitudinous expansion. What can be said of the cluster in V/I that doesn't even have boast mixture of well performing industries? What sort of industries would specifically grow out of this newly created space? Was the Tinapa project not aimed at attracting investors?
Back to the existing locations around the metropolis it's obvious that the planning system has been abandoned save for the "pressure point" approach of the current government to the development of the state which is helping resuscitate the living conditions.
My point is the government should carefully consider its urban renewal activities without creating more urban slums, opening more areas in the state to attract foreign investment will only assist in achieving the same goals.
Overall the idea is good but not much to punch in the air for.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by paddylo1(m): 8:39pm On Jul 13, 2010
@babapupa,
i think u should call paddy-lo and have breakfast with him or maybe dinner,
frm where i stand you guys have no reverse gear.
as other viewpoints make no Atlantic sense.

[b]what positive thing have u ever contributed to Lagos but moan/b.i.t.c.h on the internet?

A city i grew up in for 23yrs of my life is taking a chance and solving its problems
but u lot cant see beyond your noses. . .

The way Nigeria is set up today. . .no body can stop anybody from moving to Lagos
In china there are quotas for people moving to their big cities
u just cant wake up one morning pack your load from your village in inland china and move to shanghai. . . .

So whatever more u lot feel Lagos should be doing,u have to push your complaints to the Federal GOVT
Lagos should be getting no less than $1billion annually as a special urban intervention fund,seperate from its allocation
This money should be used to build roads,rails,low income housing,extend street lights and so on. . . .

Perhaps to make it more palatable set up such urban intervention funds for kano,Aba,PH,Maiduguri and Abuja

Until the above is done,or Lagos has the power to stop poor migrants from coming to the city
u lot have no business criticizing Lagos

The badagry 10 lane express road expansion is ongoing,Lagos Light rail line is ongoing,Lekki Road expansion is ongoing
Many more projects are ongoing. . if u cant see it,well too bad. . .cause u must be blind[/b]
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by maree7(f): 9:54pm On Jul 13, 2010
@PADDY_LO

PLEASE CONTINUE TO POST . . .

I am always looking forward to reading your threads ,

Please ignore every negative remark. . . I have vowed to do the same. . . Always remain positive no matter what 'they' say.
they do not have the last word only God does.

EKO IS MOVING FORWARD

NIGERIA IS MOVING FORWARD. PERIOD

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by proudly9ja(m): 10:01pm On Jul 13, 2010
@paddylo
You don't have to take these issues personal. People don't have to support your views all the time. Plus people asking questions does not make them enemies. This is why Nigeria is not moving forward. Anyone who counters our view is an enemy.

If people ask questions, its because they feel there might be a better way of doing things. They may be right or wrong but whichever way, they are entitled to their opinions.

What if tomorow, things about the Eko Atlantic Project doesnt turn out the way you think? What if people are right and you are wrong?
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by babapupa: 5:35am On Jul 14, 2010
joeyfire:

@babapupa

Ok. I'm interested in knowing how the people behind this project are going to do things differently. Do you have any facts to share? as far as i know there've been insane amounts of money spent by the state government to protect our shoreline. I heard (a rumour though) that the same company that did the shoreline are involved with this eko atlantic thing. naturally i'm not encouraged. would you be?

Unlike paddy lo, I have zero tolerance for ignorant folks and illiterates. It doesn't matter what proof I post on NL, some people go still refuse to read, understand and use what's left in their head.

Just like your meaningless and absurd post. Instead of telling us about the insane amount the state is spending on the shoreline, why don't you tell us the exact amount the state is spending or have spent so far?

This is the kind of unsubstantiated fallacies and rubbish people want us to attend to.

Do you honestly think the state is spending 3 billion tax payers dollars on privately funded project? Who sold you that garbage and where did the state get the money from? Do you people even think before typing ridiculous rubbish?

About your rumor, please keep that to yourself or go share it with other people like kobo, they love stuff like that.

The best shoreline protection folks in the world are working on the project so what's there to be afraid of?
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by babapupa: 6:06am On Jul 14, 2010
joeyfire:

@debosky

I'd love to ask - what makes you think that the money from the taxes on the project will be used to develop other areas of lagos. The billions raised every month in taxes hasnt translated to commensurate improvement in the rate, quality or maintenance of amenities. Rather there's been a lull. A visit to ajah which is my constituency will change your mind. You are right the project like every prioritised project by this administration is targeted at what , you said it - ''HIGH END INVESTORS''. I still believe that this government can afford to partnert with some investor to build DECENT medium income housing units in undeveloped tranches of land in places like EPE,Ikorodu, Okoko,etc

And for the record try googling Mega City and fashola in the same box and tell me that this government isnt sold on the idea and ''positioning'' the state

What about the daily commissioning of roads, bridges, water works, schools, health centers, low income housing estates? Where do you think the state get the money from?

The job of any responsible government is to create the necessary environment for the masses to earn paychecks and beat poverty via jobs and meaningful investments like EA. Lagosians are in line to pocket tens of billions of construction dollars.

These companies from electrical comps to roads and bridges, painting, brick layers, trailers, tankers, food vendors, advert and graphic companies and many more will have to hire thousands of Lagosians to work on this massive project. Thousands of  same Lagosians  from the messenger to managers and directors are gonna be collecting paychecks from the city upon completion.

Without jobs, how do you suggest people pay the state or who ever to live in the so called medium income estates? With stone and cowries? Or are you suggesting the state to start spending tax payers money to build free houses of everybody including the thousands trooping into Lagos everyday?
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by paddylo1(m): 6:13am On Jul 14, 2010
These companies from electrical comps to roads and bridges, painting, brick layers, trailers, tankers, food vendors, advert and graphic companies and many more will have to hire thousands of Lagosians to work on this massive project. Thousands of same Lagosians from the messenger to managers and directors are gonna be collecting paychecks from the city upon completion.

This is ow you lift people out of poverty.
^^
@babapupa

Not to talk of realtors,Lawyers,Furniture makers(to service new apartments/high-rises),cement manufacturers,Tourism from new hotels built in the area,bars,clubs

Just the damn multiplier effect from having a huge construction project on going in the city. . .

Hell even Obama was screaming and looking for shovel ready projects to spend his stimulus dollars on

Well in Eko Atlantic we have one huge Shovel ready project ongoing,that will stimulate the state economy for decades
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by paddylo1(m): 6:16am On Jul 14, 2010
@PADDY_LO

PLEASE CONTINUE TO POST . . .

I am always looking forward to reading your threads ,

Please ignore every negative remark. . . I have vowed to do the same. . . Always remain positive no matter what 'they' say.
they do not have the last word only God does.

EKO IS MOVING FORWARD

NIGERIA IS MOVING FORWARD. PERIOD

Thanks lol. . .and EKO is def on the move,no question
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by babapupa: 6:21am On Jul 14, 2010
paddy_lo:

^^
@babapupa
[b]
Not to talk of realtors,Lawyers,Furniture makers(to service new apartments/high-rises),cement manufacturers,Tourism from new hotels built in the area,bars,clubs

Just the damn multiplier effect from having a huge construction project on going in the city. . .

Hell even Obama was screaming and looking for shovel ready projects to spend his stimulus dollars on

Well in Eko Atlantic we have one huge Shovel ready project ongoing,that will stimulate the state economy for decades[/b]

The list is endless.

Unfortunately, NL is full of shallow, shortsighted, narrow minded and visionless people, they are self defeatists and they don't see any good in themselves and in other people.

But thank God sha, regardless of these noisy clowns, Lagos dey move on accordingly.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by joeyfire(m): 12:35pm On Jul 14, 2010
@babapupa

I am torn between descending to your level of trading insults like an illiterate meal seller and responding to your questions in a mature and objective manner. Well I think I'm more inclined to the latter. For the record my guy, this is a forum for information sharing so DIVERGENT views will always come. Eat it or throw it away.

I cant find a shred of sense in your post but I will help you out with facts. The Lagos State Ministry of Waterfront and Infrastructural Development expended the sum of N7BN fixing the shoreline and  since the project was announced as completed, there have been instances of the water breaching the barriers. I can understand a couple of decades but a few months is unnaceptable to me because I'm a diligent taxpayer. You said ''the best shoreline protection folks'' are doing the shoreline I'll love to hear who they are if you REALLY know who they are and not just bawling out.

Also you mentioned roads, bridges, health centres etc being constructed I'd like to ask you can you name three major roads, hospitals that have been built. Let me ask you,have you been to a General hospital lately? I tell you the one on Broad Street is run down (it was relaunched about two years ago). The Lekki - epe Expressway project has been on for five years and has only managed to move from Law school to lekki phase 1 (2% of the project)after the Billions spent. For your info it is also a private project since it was concessioned to LCC but the masses will pay for it in tolls for 30 years. Just to clarify something - the builders, lawyers, engineers and so on are part of the same gang and besides the temporary crumbs falling to the plates of the footworkers, the big bucks will go to the bosses. Road building and construction is NOT a sustainable source of employment. Why cant the government you're foaming at the mouth to defend, start companies or industries that will employ people for ever.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by paddylo1(m): 12:47pm On Jul 14, 2010
Why cant the government you're foaming at the mouth to defend, start companies or industries that will employ people for ever.

Another clueless one. . . .where on earth do u see GOVT starting companies or industries anymore?
What makes u think GOVT can run business better than the private sector

u have said employ people forever,so in essence your idea is a failure before it even gets started,cause u are talking lifetime employment
for unproductive people. . .(GOVT Workers)

as for the rest of your post. . .if u cant see all the new roads built in Lagos since 2007,then i cant help u
same for hospitals and bridges
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by joeyfire(m): 1:10pm On Jul 14, 2010
@paddy lo

When I say start companies, I am referring to the government partnering with the private sector like they are doing LCC (even if they're doing a crap job of it) waste recycling plants, factories etc private coys can be invited to start and can be supported with tax breaks, land and so on. This isnt the US so capitalist policies have to be tempered down to realism. I can give you a hundred instances where the Ghanaian govt did similar and its we know how well they're coming along.

''Employing forever'' means there should be a job that should outlast the worker. Not civil servants but private workers in a place that is privately managed but encouraged to start by the govt.

As for roads Its obvious you dont live in lagos. i work in ikoyi and besides bourdillon high street most of the neighborhood is flooded as we type bro. I was at the General hospital I spoke about to get a Yellow card to allow me travel to another african state and i saw sick people standing cos there werent enough chairs, long lines because there werent enough doctors (the few there couldnt give a damn), the place was hot as hell because there wasnt light (IN A HOSPITAL FOR CRYING OUT LOUD). In a state that makes over N15 Billion from taxes a month and N6 Billion from federal revenue. Go and ask the man in the street what he wants - an Atlantic City or Roads without floods when it rains and decent healthcare
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by dlox01(m): 1:27pm On Jul 14, 2010
babapupa , paddy_lo, debosky, U GUYS ARE GOOD, YOU MAKE ALOT OF SENSE,
I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO COMMENT ON MANY THINGS BUT YOUR JUST TAKING THE WORDS OUT OF MY MOUTH!!GOOD WORK wink
I DONT KNOW WHY THIS ARGUEMENT SHOULD GO ON, VERY SOON IT WOULD CHANGE FROM EKO ATLANTIC TO IS GOVERNOR FASHOLA A THIEF OR NOT, IT WILL JUST CONTINUE TO METAMORPHOSISE TO ANOTHER TOPIC ENTIRELY DUE TO IGNORANCE OF SOME PEOPLE,I DONT KNOW WHAT IS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND IN THIS PROJECT,
SOMEONE IS ASKING HOW IT IS MEANT TO CREATE JOBS?I DUNNO, HOW DO YOU AS A PERSON CREATE JOBS?IF U CAN ANSWER ME THEN PLEASE APPLY IT THE PROJECT COZ IM TIRED OF EXPLAINING!!!
GOOD JOB GUYS,
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by blacksta(m): 1:32pm On Jul 14, 2010
joeyfire:

@paddy lo

When I say start companies, I am referring to the government partnering with the private sector like they are doing LCC (even if they're doing a crap job of it) waste recycling plants, factories etc private coys can be invited to start and can be supported with tax breaks, land and so on. This isnt the US so capitalist policies have to be tempered down to realism. I can give you a hundred instances where the Ghanaian govt did similar and its we know how well they're coming along.

''Employing forever'' means there should be a job that should outlast the worker. Not civil servants but private workers in a place that is privately managed but encouraged to start by the govt.

As for roads Its obvious you dont live in lagos. i work in ikoyi and besides bourdillon high street most of the neighborhood is flooded as we type bro. I was at the General hospital I spoke about to get a Yellow card to allow me travel to another african state and i saw sick people standing cos there werent enough chairs, long lines because there werent enough doctors (the few there couldnt give a damn), the place was hot as hell because there wasnt light (IN A HOSPITAL FOR CRYING OUT LOUD). In a state that makes over N15 Billion from taxes a month and N6 Billion from federal revenue. Go and ask the man in the street what he wants - an Atlantic City or Roads without floods when it rains and decent healthcare

That is Deep bro.

I suspect in times to come Lagos will turn into state where outer regions close to water are exclusive for the rich while the center which is the core continues to degenerate and it is already happening just to look at the divide between Island and Mainland.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by Gbawe: 1:58pm On Jul 14, 2010
@Babapupa and Paddy Lo.

I think you are both knowledgeable about Lagos and the positive direction it is moving in because you care about Lagos and are pleased with the progress being witnessed after decades of stagnation, neglect, cluelessness and retrogression. You are true Lagosians thus you can see and , subsequently , laud the good developments happening in our beloved City  Lagosians aged 20- 40 have never witnessed .

To that extent , you will have to understand that , in true bad belle style common amongst Nigerians, there are many who will never give Fashola props because he is not their Governor or because he is not from their tribe. Some folks are simply peeved because it is not their State and their Governor being discussed/praised by many Nigerians in cyberspace. Some folks, again because of bad belle, are simply tired of hearing about the progress of Lagos under Fashola. Those folks will be keen to find problems/fault where there is none. Many Nigerians , because of decades of poor leadership everywhere, have become irredeemable cynics who prefer to denigrate all leaders always even when it would be more appropriate to actually praise , encourage and support those doing well like Fashola and Amaechi.

Only those who have known Lagos as residents or regular visitors for the past three decades can attest to how it is changing for the better. Sometimes it is best to ignore ignorant folks who think it is fashionable to be contrarian or to criticise for the sake of sounding different to the crowd !!!!

Eko oni Baje OOO!!!!
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by Gbawe: 2:32pm On Jul 14, 2010
joeyfire:

It appears as if it is you who does not live in Lagos. Why can you not understand that Fashola cannot solve all the problems of Lagos in three years ? If you are objective why not talk about the many roads Fashola has constructed/revamped when you try and focus on the negatives alone ? What is Western Avenue looking like to you these days ? Can you (if you are under 40) ever remember it looking like that? How about the whole National Stadium axis at Surulere and the immense work done to revamp it ? Have you ever seen Bode Thomas relatively free of huge potholes as it is today? Are you aware , as we speak , that road and guttering works is ongoing at Adeniran Ogunsanya? As a Surulere boy , I see the impact of Fashola's work. Eric Moore road was always an eyesore when I was a kid. Today it is something else!!!

It is only unobjective folks who will judge Fashola/Lagos on what remains undone while totally ignoring the many,many, many good and transformational things the City has witnessed in an ongoing effort of development aimed at rectifying the damage done to Lagos through many years of reckless, negligent and inept leadership.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by babapupa: 2:34pm On Jul 14, 2010
joeyfire:

@babapupa

I am torn between descending to your level of trading insults like an illiterate meal seller and responding to your questions in a mature and objective manner. Well I think I'm more inclined to the latter. For the record my guy, this is a forum for information sharing so DIVERGENT views will always come. Eat it or throw it away.

I cant find a shred of sense in your post but I will help you out with facts. The Lagos State Ministry of Waterfront and Infrastructural Development expended the sum of N7BN fixing the shoreline and  since the project was announced as completed, there have been instances of the water breaching the barriers. I can understand a couple of decades but a few months is unnaceptable to me because I'm a diligent taxpayer. You said ''the best shoreline protection folks'' are doing the shoreline I'll love to hear who they are if you REALLY know who they are and not just bawling out.

Also you mentioned roads, bridges, health centres etc being constructed I'd like to ask you can you name three major roads, hospitals that have been built. Let me ask you,have you been to a General hospital lately? I tell you the one on Broad Street is run down (it was relaunched about two years ago). The Lekki - epe Expressway project has been on for five years and has only managed to move from Law school to lekki phase 1 (2% of the project)after the Billions spent. For your info it is also a private project since it was concessioned to LCC but the masses will pay for it in tolls for 30 years. Just to clarify something - the builders, lawyers, engineers and so on are part of the same gang and besides the temporary crumbs falling to the plates of the footworkers, the big bucks will go to the bosses. Road building and construction is NOT a sustainable source of employment. Why cant the government you're foaming at the mouth to defend, start companies or industries that will employ people for ever.  

What do you surggest I do with the rubbish you just posted?

Trust me, I really don't have time to be going back and forth with backward thinking people like you.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by joeyfire(m): 2:40pm On Jul 14, 2010
Na fight?!! If you dont have the intellectual competence to engage in this discussion i suggest you find a topic less tasking.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by emeritus05: 3:49pm On Jul 14, 2010
@PADDY LO,u re the guy!

@times its really difficult for me to understand the way we Nigerians think.For the first time since i was born 30yrs ago,am seeing a new Lagos.Truth is Love him or Hate him FASHOLA is the best.for the 1st time,we are seeing a Government thats projecting in to the Future and we are all complaining meanwhile the core problem of Lagos stems from the fact that the past leaders did not put into consideration population increase when constructing Road,Hospitals,Housing Schemes,Schools e.t.c.peeps if u re not proud was happening in Lagos then u will be left behind.come to think of it sef,which of the 34(excluding Ameachi) remaining Governors is undertaking a project big enough,worthy of discuss on NL,and changing the economic and social life of its citizens?
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by martinosi: 4:14pm On Jul 14, 2010
Mega-City, lol, what bout the mega-slums?
and all the posters here claiming that this is making room for
the increase in population in Lagos are fooling themselves.

WHY DO NIGERIANS ALWAYS WANT TO LEAP BEFORE THEY CAN STAND, WALK, AND RUN??

YES THIS IS A PRIVATE PROJECT AND 99.9% OF LAGOSIANS HAVE NO SAY IN IT!!!

BUT THE BONDS FINANCING THIS ARE NOT BACKED BY PRIVATE INDIVIDUALS, IT IS SECURED AGAINST SOME FORM OF COLLATERAL IN LAGOS "HINT HINT", THE BOND HOLDERS KNOW SOMETHING ALL YOU SO CALLED EDUCATED AND ELITE LAGOSIANS DONT KNOW!!!

NO UPDATES ON THE NEWS, NO CONSULTATION WITH THE LOCAL COMMUNITIES, JUST ACTING LIKE SPOILT NIGERIANS WITH TOO MUCH POWER,  LOL, WHEN THE DEBT BILL IS DUE I HOPE THEY (LAGOS GOVT) CAN COUGH UP THE MONEY,

AND THE FOOL THAT SAID THIS IS  A PRIVATE PROJECT SHOULD STOP TALKING OUT OF HIS ASS,

"WHAT EVER HAPPENS TO THIS PROJECT THE GAINS WILL BE PRIVATISED AND THE LOSSES
WILL BE SOCIALISED"

ZERO AWARENESS,

ZERO UNDERSTANDING,

ZERO FORE-SIGHT,

WE WANT TO BE DUBAI BY FORCE, LOL

BUT WHERE IS THE NIGERIAN "ABU DHABI" TO BACK THIS GRAND DESIGN,

Nigerians!!! We have a lot to learn,
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by Fhemmmy: 4:24pm On Jul 14, 2010
I will love to see some pictures of the progress if any
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by Gbawe: 4:36pm On Jul 14, 2010
Fhemmmy:

I will love to see some pictures of the progress if any

If you are a Lagosian, or just interested in Fashola's work , why not visit yourself? Pictures can be accurate/misleading subject to the motives of those taking the pictures. I could be standing next to a big and superb estate in a generally well-developed area yet I may choose to take a picture of a solitary shack as 'proof' that the area is 'rundown'.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by russellino: 4:37pm On Jul 14, 2010
This Atlantic City project is one big joke. Who's going to build it? HITECH. LOL ! The Ajah - Epe expressway has taken close to 6 years and 10 Billion naira and has only gone as far as 2 miles. You guys need to come back to earth and fast!! How come there is absolute secrecy surrounding the investors and funders. Lagosians will learn the truth after this Bola Tinubu regime is laid to rest.

How come no one is talking about the floating hotel that is rotting at Marina. It was Lagos state owned then private owned, now its nobody's. Eko o ni ba je ooo! LMAO grin
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by Princek12(m): 4:39pm On Jul 14, 2010
Martinosi,

you just spew out words without any reasoning, and I'm sure in your head you probably think you are smart. What do you mean by the "gains will be privatized and the losses will be socialized?" If it is funded by 100% private funds, how will the losses be socialized? Also, all the other garbage you posted are backed with no explanation or reasoning. Is that how you guys articulate yourself in the village?
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by Princek12(m): 4:46pm On Jul 14, 2010
Bottom line is that people who are haters--i.e., many people from the east, among others, will always criticize Lagos no matter what we do, probably because their own leaders are busy embezzling money instead of focusing on developing their land, and criticizing Lagos is a good way of deviating attention from their own mismanaged state or village. This jealousy of Lagos is palpable. If Eko Atlantic is privately funded, a private investor's preference to invest resources in Lagos is nobody's business, as long as you are not injured by any developments that emanated from the investment.
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by Kobojunkie: 4:46pm On Jul 14, 2010
russellino:

This Atlantic City project is one big joke. Who's going to build it? HITECH. LOL ! The Ajah - Epe expressway has taken close to 6 years and 10 Billion naira and has only gone as far as 2 miles. You guys need to come back to earth and fast!! How come there is absolute secrecy surrounding the investors and funders. Lagosians will learn the truth after this Bola Tinubu regime is laid to rest.

The project is not a joke . . . it is actually a glorified private Housing/Business Estate in some way. From what I have been able to gather from the developers themselves, this project should be seen as a GRA without the Government part of it. The Land, after it is developed will be sold off to private people who want to own a piece of the land. Now, these private clients can then decide based on zoned area they purchase, what they will build on said pieces. So, if a person wants to purchase land on there and build nothing but residential homes, that is up to the land owner.

So, forget the romanticized images that you have been offered of this project. It is real but is not necessarily going to end up the way many here believe it is. It is not to be compared to  Dubai, Tokyo, NY etc. It is simply a big Private Housing/Business estate project

blacksta:

That is Deep bro.

I suspect in times to come Lagos will turn into state where outer regions close to water are exclusive for the rich while the center which is the core continues to degenerate and it is already happening just to look at the divide between Island and Mainland.

At about $800 to $1600 a square foot, I don't think you are far from the truth. But who knows, another private company come come in to reclaim more land lost to the sea and sell theirs for less. ROFLMAO!!
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jul 14, 2010
lets wait and see
Re: Eko Atlantic City. . Construction Update July 2010 by ezeagu(m): 4:54pm On Jul 14, 2010
Princek12:

Bottom line is that people who are haters--i.e., many people from the east, among others, will always criticize Lagos no matter what we do, probably because their own leaders are busy embezzling money instead of focusing on developing their land.

You couldn't help yourself. Everybody questioning the floating city are haters from the east, you just couldn't help yourself. No views no opinions, all you came to say was that everybody questioning the idea are haters from the east.

Princek12:

This jealousy of Lagos is palpable. If Eko Atlantic is privately funded, a private investor's preference to invest resources in Lagos is nobody's business, as long as you are not injured by any developments that emanated from the investment.

Jealousy of one of the biggest slums on earth which is owned largely by haters from the east? Nobody's business yet people have placed themselves as authority figures to defend the city, just like everybody else, they really don't have a clue of what is going on in?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

'It's Not Worth It'; Couple Who Returned From Libya Amid Suffering. Photos / Governor Abiodun Constructs Sango Ota-Ijoko Road; Reconstructs Ota Tollgate / Mother Of Two, Hassana Usman Dies In Airforce Helicopter Crash (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.