Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,889 members, 7,824,712 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:02 PM

20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) (59964 Views)

Iyana Iba Interchange & Flyover Bridge, Badagry Expressway, Lagos (Pictures) / One-Way Driver Kills Pedestrian In Lagos (Pictures) / Bent Truck Spotted In Motion In Lagos: Pictures & Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Jemi7: 1:40pm On Oct 08, 2018
elrony:

Dope dope!!! grin grin

grin How you take find me reach here with my alternate account for that matter shocked
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Jamestown123: 3:23pm On Oct 08, 2018
kzubyar:
very cheap
like if i want to Stay for a week now, how much should i budget?

1 Like

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by akinszz: 3:40pm On Oct 08, 2018
My observations during my stay in Cotonou

1. Their roads are smooth (potholes is very minimal)

2. Mosquitoes are not much (as if they use insecticide regularly on the streets grin grin)

3. Bike riding is the major means of transportation ( don't be surprised if you see slay queen riding her private lady's bike)

4. Every corner you will see so many fashion designers

5. Official work starts at 9am, when it is 12noon they go for break and return @ 3pm.

6. They take life easy ( the are not desperate /over ambitious)

7. In that country, policeman don't carry rifles ( unlike Nigeria every policeman with his AK47 rifle grin)

8. They are orderly, they obey traffic light (compare to Nigeria where okada man will just ignore traffic light and nothing will happen grin cheesy)

9. They have 24/7 light.... Power supply was excellent... They use prepaid meters( water n light)

10. No drainage ( I don't know where their rain water dey go to)

11. At midnight, the whole place is as silent as the grave ( no church disturbance, no mosque noise, no agbero noise, no generator noise)

12. Pharmacy ( to buy drugs you must provide doctors' prescription... Unlike Nigeria where you call uche or ifeanyi to give you teramicin with lucodin and alagbin together grin. No, no, no)

If you go there, you will realize that Nigeria is hell grin grin grin... It's a lovely place to be. No exaggerations, strictly my observations.

They are not as rich as nigeria but contented with what they have.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by OmichaelO: 3:48pm On Oct 08, 2018
awelekiti:
Yea, I like the place. I have visited a couple of their beaches too, including the popular Obama Beach. I used to lodge in one hotel built on the sea called Hotel Du Lac. I love festival Des Glases where I do relish the western delicacies too. It's such a modest town.
hotel du lac. My favorite place on Earth currently. I enjoyed every bit
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by OmichaelO: 3:51pm On Oct 08, 2018
Babymira:
Coins are still very much in use and the highest denomination of coins is 500 CFA and the lowest coin being 50 CFA. 20,000 CFA is the highest bank-note in Benin Republic........
N/B:10,OOO CFA IS THE HIGHEST BANK-NOTE IN BENIN-REPUBLIC...
I was wondering too. 10k was the highest I've seen.
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Nobody: 4:01pm On Oct 08, 2018
Mizwisdom:
Is there any country which Nigerians won't hype? We can clearly see they lack adequate infrastructures, seeing untarred streets with no drainage is a red flag. Kudos to our neighbors tho, they are small, poor but still contented.

Of course they have drainage! If they did not, won’t there be flood? They do NOT have open drainage like the eye sore we have here in Nigeria. I dont know where the OP went but when I was there most of the roads were tarred and neat.

2 Likes

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Mizwisdom(f): 4:04pm On Oct 08, 2018
TheNaijanBlog:

Of course they have drainage! If they did not, won’t there be flood? They do NOT have open drainage like the eye sore we have here in Nigeria. I dont know where the OP went but when I was there most of the roads were tarred and neat.

Why haven't you relocated?
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Prinzyy: 4:07pm On Oct 08, 2018
metroid:
i remember the last time i was in Cotonou there is an alarm clock that sounds by 5 am daily to wake its citizens
Bike is their Assurance to catch fine girl in Cotonou grin
food is cheap in Cotonou
The most modest country in west Africa
Lebanese are the owners of big businesses in Cotonou
Bikes have their own lane in some busy streets
major roads are wide and tarred
i saw coin operated photo booths in some street corners
Black market petrol is more popular than regular filling station
gbam.. Been living here for the past nine years.. Tbh. Mumu pipu plenty here

1 Like

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Nobody: 4:10pm On Oct 08, 2018
Mizwisdom:

Why haven't you relocated?

WTF does that have to do with anything? Do you have to relocate to every place that is nice to show you appreciate their way of living? If that’s the case, I will relocate every time I travel for vacations. Do you even know where I live? Please next time stick to the topic and if you don’t have any thing to add, just pass.

P.S. I suggest you change your username.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by ThisIsOutlaw: 4:12pm On Oct 08, 2018
OmichaelO:
hotel du lac. My favorite place on Earth currently. I enjoyed every bit

Try Dream Beach
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Mizwisdom(f): 4:20pm On Oct 08, 2018
TheNaijanBlog:

Do you have to relocate to every place that is nice to show you appreciate their way of living? If that’s the case, I will relocate every time I travel for vacations. Do you even know where I live? Please next time stick to the topic and if you don’t have any thing to add, just pass.

Just wondering why you will stay in a chaotic environment after you've discovered a serene one that isn't far away. FYI your moniker has given me clues on your location
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by AbbeyDaniels(m): 4:46pm On Oct 08, 2018
Earthbound:
Food and accommodation and light (power). Especially accommodation, you'd be surprised how much a 3-bed flat would cost you. It's cheaper than Ibadan sef.

These are more than enough to make some people emigrate from this hell hole.
Nah, bro. Accomodation in Cotonou is damn costly. A room and parlour self contain costs 360,000Cfa per year. That's roughly 200k naira with the current exchange rate, minus electricity and water bill.
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by TheStarsAlign: 5:12pm On Oct 08, 2018
@OP, can you explain with pic what you mean by "the houses don't have roofs like in Nigeria", does it mean all the houses are decked?. Also, is it advisable to go on such visit alone or go with someone as I look towards such soon.
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Ugosample(m): 5:15pm On Oct 08, 2018
DebTem:
I'm proud of my country.

grin
Vous venez du Bénin?
Très bien!
Je connais beaucouo des coins dans ton pays tongue
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Jemi7: 5:20pm On Oct 08, 2018
TheStarsAlign:
@OP, can you explain with pic what you mean by "the houses don't have roofs like in Nigeria", does it mean all the houses are decked?. Also, is it advisable to go on such visit alone or go with someone as I look towards such soon.

They don't have roofs like Nigerian houses, You can climb on their roofs to sleep, spread your beds, throw a party on the roof, their roofs are always open, so people do chill on top of it to cool off and enjoy the view.

Look at these pictures, especially the first picture, from where the picture was taken, that's how their roofs are mostly

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Dearlord(m): 6:35pm On Oct 08, 2018
planetx:
Tell us about the electricity, and why do the streets not have gutters how do they deal with the run off from rain.

Electricity is very cheap where by u pay according to the quantity of Wat/KW u consumed (156 F /KW)

In terms of drainage, every street is serially arranged squarely on a very big drainage system.

Most of the citizenry are very law abiding because of the harsh punishment of the law.
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Benesth(m): 6:42pm On Oct 08, 2018
Funkybabee:
Please how much is their university fees because a junior sister friend just gain an admission to one of their fees while saying it's expensive!! Though medical line

There is no such course again in Benin rep. pls don't waste your money cause she might drop out half way moment she learnt that her course is not accredited.

schooled there Years Back.
Just an advise
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Raalsalghul: 6:54pm On Oct 08, 2018
Earthbound:
Food and accommodation and light (power). Especially accommodation, you'd be surprised how much a 3-bed flat would cost you. It's cheaper than Ibadan sef.

These are more than enough to make some people emigrate from this hell hole.
Bro, how serious are you as regards the accommodation?
Heard it's expensive.
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Raalsalghul: 6:59pm On Oct 08, 2018
akinszz:

2. Mosquitoes are not much (as if they use insecticide regularly on the streets grin grin)

3. Bike riding is the major means of transportation ( don't be surprised if you see slay queen riding her private lady's bike)

5. Official work starts at 9am, when it is 12noon they go for break and return @ 3pm.

7. In that country, policeman don't carry rifles ( unlike Nigeria every policeman with his AK47 rifle grin)

8. They are orderly, they obey traffic light (compare to Nigeria where okada man will just ignore traffic light and nothing will happen grin cheesy)

9. They have 24/7 light.... Power supply was excellent... They use prepaid meters( water n light)

11. At midnight, the whole place is as silent as the grave ( no church disturbance, no mosque noise, no agbero noise)

If you go there, you will realize that Nigeria is hell grin grin grin... It's a lovely place to be. No exaggerations, strictly my observations.

if this is true, then I might migrate there. This is enough for me. What about business/employment opportunities?
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by akinszz: 7:07pm On Oct 08, 2018
Raalsalghul:
if this is true, then I might migrate there. This is enough for me. What about business/employment opportunities?
the problem there is language barrier... They speak French... Only those that live and do business at the borders speak English and pidgin.
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Lawalemi(m): 7:10pm On Oct 08, 2018
15. Pubs and strip clubs are almost available in every corner. I was at one of the clubs on my first night and unlike the shanawole angryand casket lifestyle of the Lagos club houses, things are far more calm and serene in Cotounou. I wasn’t too surprised when more than half of the songs played are from Nigeria, same thing in Accra.
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by GetCofOProperty: 7:28pm On Oct 08, 2018
Lagos and Cotonou are both great cities... But you can never compare Lagos with Cotonou in terms of development, civilization and social life.

There are good properties in choice locations that boast of a huge return on investment. Don't miss the current promos.

Please check signature in blue below and get in touch to enjoy our Free Real Estate/Property Consulting services. Call/Chat +234(0)8027390046!!!

[img]https://media1./images/668c6b5e434731b1ffc939ebb5eaa27e/tenor.gif?itemid=4951048[/img]
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by skukimania(f): 7:49pm On Oct 08, 2018
But 50 CFA isn't the lowest denomination. There is 25 CFA, which is the cost of a satchet of pure water @

I was also able to charge my phone without having to change the fuse.
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by folake4u(f): 8:35pm On Oct 08, 2018
Rubyventures:
Your write up makes me want to visit this country. I love African countries with modest people.

Same here! smiley
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by folake4u(f): 8:37pm On Oct 08, 2018
akinszz:

11. At midnight, the whole place is as silent as the grave ( no church disturbance, no mosque noise, no agbero noise)

Wow! Would love to go there.

I like modest but comfortable countries.
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Funkybabee(f): 9:55pm On Oct 08, 2018
Benesth:

There is no such course again in Benin rep. pls don't waste your money cause she might drop out half way moment she learnt that her course is not accredited.

schooled there Years Back.
Just an advise

Ok thanks
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by Obienesarah: 11:05pm On Oct 08, 2018
DebTem:
I'm proud of my country.

grin

Cotonou or Nigeria?
Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by steperone(m): 11:18pm On Oct 08, 2018
9JAFULLBREED:
Are you done with your analysis? Cuz I still dey wait for the “UNBELIEVABLE” part. SMH undecided

Bross, me sef still dey wait oh!

1 Like

Re: 20 Unbelievable Ways Cotonou Is Different From Lagos (Pictures) by DebTem(f): 12:17am On Oct 09, 2018
Obienesarah:

Cotonou or Nigeria?

Both grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Homeless Nigerian Man Rescued From The Streets In Houston, US (Photos) / Iranian Who Made Paris Airport Home For 18 Years Dies (picture) / How A Woman And Her Load Were Transported On A Motorcycle (Photo, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.