Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,088 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:21 AM

"As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study (1315 Views)

Why Do People Leave Nasty Comments And Curses On Bank Social.media Pages / See Why Religion Will Die As People Get More Intelligent. / When People Leave Your Life For No Reason It Is Because You Have Outgrown Them. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

"As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by Niflheim(m): 2:05pm On Oct 11, 2018
FULL STORY:

Historically, rising wealth has coincided with a reduction in the power of religion. Today, the poorest countries in the world are among the most religious. Oil states aside, the reverse is also usually true. These observations have inspired the widespread assumption that wealth reduces religious fervor. However, one study has thrown that into question, concluding that an increase in non-religious values precedes and can predict economic growth, rather than following after.

A classic study of Trobriand Islanders found that those with more risky lives – fishing in the open ocean rather than in a protected atoll – were more superstitious. Sociologists have seen something similar with religion. People who are one bad harvest from destitution are more likely to seek God’s favor to save them than those less at risk. Moreover, the rich seldom like to be told their status has more to do with outside intervention than their own efforts, so the propensity to attribute success to the hand of the creator declines as material wealth rises.

Even in the United States, where rates of church attendance and religious identification remain much higher than other rich nations, this seems to be changing as atheism rises among young Americans.
However, University of Bristol PhD student Damian Ruck of the University of Bristol argues in Science Advances that we have the story the wrong way around. Using measures of secularization (that is the decline in religious faith) in 109 countries from 1910-2014, Ruck used the statistical technique of time-lagged regressions to see which came first.

Contrary to expectations, secularization preceded economic growth, rather than following it. Each standard deviation increase in a quantification of secular values was associated with an extra $1,000 of Gross Domestic Product per capita (adjusted to 1990 American dollars) over the subsequent 10 years and $5,000 over 30 years.

This pattern holds true across very different cultures, irrespective of which religion was declining. For some of the nations Ruck studied, data was missing for part of the period, but this was not the case for Great Britain, Nigeria, Chile, or the Philippines, all of which show the same pattern.

The strength of the relationship has increased with time; by the 1990s, the extent of secularization explained 40 percent of the differences in economic development between nations.
This would appear to rule out the possibility that economic growth causes religious decline, but that doesn't mean the reverse is true. Ruck acknowledges that some other factor could be driving both secularization and economic growth, with the latter a lagged effect. However, the most obvious suspect, education, did not prove predictive of secularization.

Instead, the paper points to support for individual rights, particularly women’s rights, as a strong possibility, predicting secularization well and economic growth better. [/b]The true wealth-creators may not be entrepreneurs, but those who stand against religious zealotry for tolerance and women’s liberation.[b]

THE LINK:................................................https://www.iflscience.com/brain/as-people-leave-religious-values-behind-economic-growth-improves/

1 Like

Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by hahn(m): 3:08pm On Oct 11, 2018
Fascinating

1 Like

Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by Primesky(m): 3:25pm On Oct 11, 2018
Very cheap propaganda!.

The devil is a liar, a thief and a sore loser!. No matter how hard he tries, the church of Jesus Christ will keep marching on.

This attacks are not just against religion, but against the faith of believers in Jesus Christ. I do not preach religion, neither is true Christianity a mere religious practice, but a call to fellowship with God, a dynamic walk with God by faith, not just a set of ablusions, and observances.

Contend for your faith O Christians, the enemy is after your faith.

One may say, but it's not just against Christians, but I say, the faith in Jesus Christ is the target. The Fisher man may be targeting a Mackerel or a Sadine, but when he casts his net, he catches all manner of divers other kinds of fish.

Revelation 3:11 Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

Hold fast to your faith in God through Christ Jesus. If you loose your faith, you've lost your visa and ticket to heaven. Be wise children of God, the devil is not stupid. By the help of the Holy Spirit of God, we shall match and stand against him toe to toe.

3 Likes

Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by JeromeBlack: 8:37pm On Oct 11, 2018
Primesky:
Very cheap propaganda!.

The devil is a liar, a thief and a sore loser!. No matter how hard he tries, the church of Jesus Christ will keep marching on.

This attacks are not just against religion, but against the faith of believers in Jesus Christ. I do not preach religion, neither is true Christianity a mere religious practice, but a call to fellowship with God, a dynamic walk with God by faith, not just a set of ablusions, and observances.

Contend for your faith O Christians, the enemy is after your faith.

One may say, but it's not just against Christians, but I say, the faith in Jesus Christ is the target. The Fisher man may be targeting a Mackerel or a Sadine, but when he casts his net, he catches all manner of divers other kinds of fish.

Revelation 3:11 Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

Hold fast to your faith in God through Christ Jesus. If you loose your faith, you've lost your visa and ticket to heaven. Be wise children of God, the devil is not stupid. By the help of the Holy Spirit of God, we shall match and stand against him toe to toe.

Sharrap! angry

Nigeria is in its 50's. In over 50 years, what has God done for Nigeria?

To hell with religion and God.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by RuthlessLeader(m): 8:47pm On Oct 11, 2018
Op, don't you know?? The wealth of our christian brethren is not in this world but in heaven

1 Like

Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by Bacteriologist(m): 11:54pm On Oct 11, 2018
A definite no-brainer. Religion has done nothing in most cases rather than rob us of the little progress we make. Religion is a powerful tool in the hands of our oppressors and it really is the opium of the masses.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by Bacteriologist(m): 11:56pm On Oct 11, 2018
RuthlessLeader:
Op, don't you know?? The wealth of our christian brethren is not in this world but in heaven

SmH

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by dometome: 12:13am On Oct 12, 2018
Bullshit. Christianity is NOT the reason Africans are poor, Africans are poor because you are docile and stupid. When Nnamdi Kanu started protesting against the ruling and opresissves bugoisie, what did you people do, criticise and condemn him, not so. It is only when a slave realises that he is a slave that he can be helped. The id1ots that call themselves pastors are merely taking advantage of your docility to make money.

3 Likes

Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by Bacteriologist(m): 12:20am On Oct 12, 2018
dometome:
Bullshit. Christianity is NOT the reason Africans are poor, Africans are poor because you are docile and stupid. When Nnamdi Kanu started protesting against the ruling and opresissves bugoisie, what did you people do, criticise and condemn him, not so. It is only when a slave realises that he is a slave that he can be helped. The id1ots that call themselves pastors are merely taking advantage of your docility to make money.

This post makes zero sense. Religion is one of the greatest drawbacks Africa and several other countries in the Middle East have. Why did you bring NK to this? Is he the reason why Africans are poor?

You can do better. That post was an absolute hogwash.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by dometome: 8:27am On Oct 12, 2018
Bacteriologist:

This post makes zero sense. Religion is one of the greatest drawbacks Africa and several other countries in the Middle East have. Why did you bring NK to this? Is he the reason why Africans are poor?

You can do better. That post was an absolute hogwash.
you people are poor because of your stupidity and docility not Christianity.
The US made her greatest achievements in the twentieth century and they were majorly Christians, that is an undeniable fact. In fact even before then, they were religious. That is why you have on the dollar bills "In God we trust" In fact it is only when the left began their assault on humanity, The US nearly lost her technical and economic power. This is very evident during especially tbe Obama years, when Obama simply left the Commies to rip off of the US. You communists will never succeed. Don't worry. China you are looking at is a mere bubble that will soon burst.

The blood of the massive multitude killed by the Commies are still crying out fir justice. In fact the only good commie is a dead comie.

1 Like

Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by Bacteriologist(m): 12:33pm On Oct 12, 2018
dometome:
you people are poor because of your stupidity and docility not Christianity.
The US made her greatest achievements in the twentieth century and they were majorly Christians, that is an undeniable fact. In fact even before then, they were religious. That is why you have on the dollar bills "In God we trust" In fact it is only when the left began their assault on humanity, The US nearly lost her technical and economic power. This is very evident during especially tbe Obama years, when Obama simply left the Commies to rip off of the US. You communists will never succeed. Don't worry. China you are looking at is a mere bubble that will soon burst.

The blood of the massive multitude killed by the Commies are still crying out fir justice. In fact the only good commie is a dead comie.

Again, you failed to make sense. Try harder. Let me help you.
Africa's biggest problems are here

1. Religion.
2. Corrupt leaders.
3. Lack of quality education.

I hope your next post is at par. Else I end this conversation prematurely.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by dometome: 12:57pm On Oct 12, 2018
Bacteriologist:

Again, you failed to make sense. Try harder. Let me help you.
Africa's biggest problems are here

1. Religion.
2. Corrupt leaders.
3. Lack of quality education.

I hope your next post is at par. Else I end this conversation prematurely.
Your problem is your inability to kickstart a revolution and effect change, because you are docile and a coward, then instead of accepting that fact you begin to point fingers. These corrupt leaders, are they from Mars? Every society deserves the kind of leadership they get, until they DECIDE otherwise. Christianity has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with your misery.

1 Like

Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by Bacteriologist(m): 1:06pm On Oct 12, 2018
dometome:
Your problem is your inability to kickstart a revolution and effect change, because you are docile and a coward, then instead of accepting that fact you begin to point fingers. These corrupt leaders, are they from Mars? Every society deserves the kind of leadership they get, until they DECIDE otherwise. Christianity has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with your misery.

Bye.

3 Likes

Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by dometome: 1:58pm On Oct 12, 2018
Bacteriologist:

Bye.
Superior argument has been presented. and you have shied away hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

1 Like

Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by Bacteriologist(m): 2:03pm On Oct 12, 2018
dometome:
Superior argument has been presented. and you have shied away hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nope. I warned you before hand. And I'm only going by that decree. Now run along.

1 Like

Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by dometome: 2:19pm On Oct 12, 2018
Bacteriologist:

Nope. I warned you before hand. And I'm only going by that decree. Now run along.
just like stuffing your fingers into your ears and singing "I can't hear you na na na na naaa!" Abeg go sidon.
Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by JeromeBlack: 2:48pm On Oct 12, 2018
dometome:

Christianity has a lot to do with the problems in Nigeria.

First of all, a country that forgets history will remain a slave to its past. If Nigerians were aware that christianity supported the enslavement and colonization of Nigerians in the past, christianity would be dead in Nigeria.

Gay rights. Thanks to christianity and islam informing the morality of Nigerians, Nigerians hate homosexuals. In other successful countries, gays rights have been guaranteed by the government.

Overpopulation and child breeding. Thanks to christianity, condoms and child planning are unpopular. Leaving poor people to have numerous children that they cannot care fore.
Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by dometome: 5:13pm On Oct 12, 2018
JeromeBlack:

Christianity has a lot to do with the problems in Nigeria.

First of all, a country that forgets history will remain a slave to its past. If Nigerians were aware that christianity supported the enslavement and colonization of Nigerians in the past, christianity would be dead in Nigeria.

Gay rights. Thanks to christianity and islam informing the morality of Nigerians, Nigerians hate homosexuals. In other successful countries, gays rights have been guaranteed by the government.

Overpopulation and child breeding. Thanks to christianity, condoms and child planning are unpopular. Leaving poor people to have numerous children that they cannot care fore.

Christianity has been in Africa from the very first century it came into existence, in fact the Ethiopian Eunuch is a good example. It was also in Egypt, and I am very sure that people spread the message even to our fore fathers, the white man is not the first person the bring christianity into Africa. A black man did.

So the hallmark of a successful country is when a usless man inserts his pen1s into another man's rectum? The so called gay rights is just a very new thing, in fact it was Obama (how I hate that man) that began to use it as a political weapon against perceived enemies of the Left, before he began his madness, homos were not even regarded as humans by majority of Americans but still the US made a lot of progress both in technology and otherwise. How were the homos treated in the US during the course if the twentieth century? Homosexuality is an ABOMINATION.

No! Don't mix things up, CAN for instance opposed the use of condoms initially because some people thought that if they use condoms they are commiting no sin because there in no physical contact between the peni5 and the vulva, CAN said no, the best thing is to abstain from sex until you marry. Sex should be between a husband and his wife ONLY! It has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with overpopulation.

I am yet to see anywhere in the bible that says one must be poor to serve God, or that we must remain poor, instead we are told not love money, because if you do, you will only end up stabbing yourself all over with many pains.

So my dear your misery stems from the fact that you choose to remain docile in face if bad leadership. Tribalism is also another problem. I don't know about Islam though.

1 Like

Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by PastorAIO: 5:44pm On Oct 12, 2018
But Jesus said you can't love god and mammon. It is one or the other. What do you prefer? Either your god or money. You can't have both.
Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by JeromeBlack: 10:57pm On Oct 12, 2018
dometome:

Christianity has been in Africa from the very first century it came into existence, in fact the Ethiopian Eunuch is a good example. It was also in Egypt, and[b] I am very sure that people spread the message even to our fore fathers, the white man is not the first person the bring christianity into Africa. A black man did.[/b]

So the hallmark of a successful country is when a usless man inserts his pen1s into another man's rectum? The so called gay rights is just a very new thing, in fact it was Obama (how I hate that man) that began to use it as a political weapon against perceived enemies of the Left, before he began his madness, homos were not even regarded as humans by majority of Americans but still the US made a lot of progress both in technology and otherwise. How were the homos treated in the US during the course if the twentieth century? Homosexuality is an ABOMINATION.

No! Don't mix things up, CAN for instance opposed the use of condoms initially because some people thought that if they use condoms they are commiting no sin because there in no physical contact between the peni5 and the vulva, CAN said no, the best thing is to abstain from sex until you marry. Sex should be between a husband and his wife ONLY! It has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with overpopulation.

I am yet to see anywhere in the bible that says one must be poor to serve God, or that we must remain poor, instead we are told not love money, because if you do, you will only end up stabbing yourself all over with many pains.

So my dear your misery stems from the fact that you choose to remain docile in face if bad leadership. Tribalism is also another problem. I don't know about Islam though.

Your problem is that you make up nonsense to defend your points. Christianity was brought to Nigeria by slave trading Europeans. Nigeria is not in north africa.

Christianity is a problem

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by dometome: 11:17pm On Oct 12, 2018
JeromeBlack:

Your problem is that you make up nonsense to defend your points. Christianity was brought to Nigeria by slave trading Europeans. Nigeria is not in north africa.

Christianity is a problem
so Ethiopia is north Africa abi? See your small sense. As an Igbo man, there are many things we do as indegenous people that are exactly the same in the Bible. I am very sure that is when our ancestors made contact with Christianity and imbibed many Christian customs. Go and start a revolution if you want change, not to come on Nairaland and rant like fool. Keyboard warrior.

1 Like

Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by JeromeBlack: 5:15am On Oct 13, 2018
dometome:
so Ethiopia is north Africa abi? See your small sense. As an Igbo man, there are many things we do as indegenous people that are exactly the same in the Bible. I am very sure that is when our ancestors made contact with Christianity and imbibed many Christian customs. Go and start a revolution if you want change, not to come on Nairaland and rant like fool. Keyboard warrior.

Another Igbo Jew. grin grin

Clown

3 Likes

Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by dometome: 9:03am On Oct 13, 2018
JeromeBlack:

Another Igbo Jew. grin grin

Clown
just like your parents, I got the clown bug from them.

Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by Fabre2: 9:49am On Oct 13, 2018
We remain alive when the economy dies, the economy remains when people die..
Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by Goodness4525: 11:53am On Oct 13, 2018
lol

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by dometome: 12:52pm On Oct 13, 2018
Goodness4525:
lol
Last I checked they did not point a gun at you saying "if you don't do it I shoot".
Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by Primesky(m): 3:05pm On Oct 24, 2018
JeromeBlack:

Sharrap! angry

Nigeria is in its 50's. In over 50 years, what has God done for Nigeria?

To hell with religion and God.

If God has not done anything, at least He has allowed you to live till now. Don't be ungrateful.

What have you as a 'good' person done for Nigeria?.

If not for God, there will be no Nigeria and our population will not be up to half of what it is. Only a blind man will not see this.

Thank God for His undeserved favour and goodness.
Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by Mekanus(m): 3:41pm On Oct 24, 2018
Primesky:

If God has not done anything, at least He has allowed you to live till now. Don't be ungrateful.

What have you as a 'good' person done for Nigeria?.

If not for God, there will be no Nigeria and our population will not be up to half of what it is. Only a blind man will not see this.

Thank God for His undeserved favour and goodness.
Just shut the fu^ck up.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by LordReed(m): 3:49pm On Oct 24, 2018
dometome:

Christianity has been in Africa from the very first century it came into existence, in fact the Ethiopian Eunuch is a good example. It was also in Egypt, and I am very sure that people spread the message even to our fore fathers, the white man is not the first person the bring christianity into Africa. A black man did.

Look up Alan Turing. Your gay bashing is ignorance in disguise.
Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by dometome: 4:39pm On Oct 24, 2018
LordReed:

Look up Alan Turing. Your gay bashing is ignorance in disguise.
I won't look up to any body but God.
Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by LordReed(m): 4:51pm On Oct 24, 2018
dometome:
I won't look up to any body but God.

LoL! Don't look up a real person keep believing in a magic sky daddy. LMFAO!

2 Likes

Re: "As People Leave Religious Values Behind, Economic Growth Improves!!!"-new Study by Primesky(m): 9:34pm On Nov 09, 2018
Mekanus:
Just shut the fu^ck up.

That's it!. There's no way a dirty heart can produce good things let alone be thankful.

See, to be free from these kind of foul, polluted language and life, quickly call and run to Jesus Christ, He will make you a new again, as He did for me. You can't save yourself.

Tell me, do you like yourself when you curse like this, will you be proud to see your children be like this?. These are the reasons why we have bad things all around us, yet we blame God.

Be grateful to God man.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Twelve Complex Processes In Sexual Reproduction Debunk The Theory Of Evolution / 6 Reasons Why The Noah’s Global Flood Couldn’t Have Happened. / Aliens Are Not "Aliens" But Demons, Do Not Allow Yourself Get Deceived

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.