Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,332 members, 7,819,139 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:49 AM

This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) (84775 Views)

Shackleston's Lost Ship, Endurance Found 106 Years After Disaster In Antarctica / Huge Antarctica Snow Cruiser Is Missing Since 1940 In The Antarctica(Photos) / Moment Airbus A340 Passenger Plane Lands In Antarctica For The First Time(Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by Naijaguy12345(m): 6:23pm On Oct 13, 2018
chukxie:
White scientists are very inquisitive, intelligent and daring. Respect!
What t about the black ones ? grin

1 Like

Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by revontuli(f): 6:27pm On Oct 13, 2018
jwillng:

I experienced minus 35 degrees temperature while working at the Minneapolis Airport in USA, air travel continues un hindered as everything is in place including de icing equipment. No special planes. Just special preparations and equipment.

Antarctic winter cold reaches -60 to -80 where engines will be inoperable. -35 is still within range for turbine engines, but -80 is beyond the operating range of most equipment not to mention fuel will turn into a jelly.

Not only that but Antarctica is also the windiest place on earth. 60 mph winds come out of nowhere and make landing impossible. Winter weather is too extreme and prevented medical evacuations before.

7 Likes

Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by revontuli(f): 6:30pm On Oct 13, 2018
Explorers:

Don't know how they do that, but there are lots of airports, landing field/strips across the frozen continent.

Great thread, keep up the good work!
Check my travel threads too smiley
Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by princfred(m): 6:30pm On Oct 13, 2018
UniversalDove:
you wont even have an erection in such cold
It one dares have one , it will freeze in erect state forever.
Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by Hades2016(m): 6:35pm On Oct 13, 2018
Funjosh:
How can I buy a land on this continent
how many plots do you need bruh I be land agent for dia
Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by BeRightBack: 6:35pm On Oct 13, 2018
MetroBaba1:

Ambulance Spotted
Atikulated Up coming comedian spotted.
Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by mexzony: 6:38pm On Oct 13, 2018
chuckjonesbaba:

I was like that too
How did you overcome it.
Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by Kaydeexotic(m): 6:42pm On Oct 13, 2018
ayourbamie:
I'm sure if I carry sapele water there e no go freeze

Gin can only freeze at temperatures of -110° and below... And I doubt if there's anyone that will survive such amount of cold. grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by aadoiza: 6:44pm On Oct 13, 2018
mexzony:

Technically yes.but what stops them from falling down is gravity.a rotatiting object always tries to pull objects towards the center.so anywhere we are on earth we are being pulled towards the center and this pull is so strong that we can't fall off. Hope you know that we are also rotating along with the earth but we don't feel it because we are rotating at thesameor nearly same speed as the earth that's why we don't feel it.just lime when you are in a plane that is cruising at constant speed if you notice it will be like the plane is not even moving at all.only when you look outside will u notice it.see it's all about forces and it can be hard to imagine but just know this we are all standing at odd angles.
The force pusing us toward the center of the earth is coming at us at a different angle that those standing in say China.look at this pic and draw the arrow towards the center depending on where you stand.remember the circle is spining.cheers
If those on the said planet carry out their daily routines in postural inversion, how then do they survive blood rushing into their brains, and also balance blood downward thrust pushing so hard on their brains?
I, for one, doubt anyone could beat an hour of blood pumping into their brain.
Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by Vince77(m): 6:50pm On Oct 13, 2018
Khd95:
U mean if some one ejaculate outside in this Antarctica, his cum will freez to his preeq

Hahahahahahahahahah
Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by salford1: 7:01pm On Oct 13, 2018
Canada is pretty close to Antarctica. I have witnessed -45 already.
Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by mexzony: 7:02pm On Oct 13, 2018
aadoiza:

If those on the said planet carry out their daily routines in postural inversion, how then do they survive blood rushing into their brains, and also balance blood downward thrust pushing so hard on their brains?
I, for one, doubt anyone could beat an hour of blood pumping into their brain.
smiley Gravity.
We here in Nigeria. Our up and down if it exist on a sphere is not the same up and down as someone is US or Australia.
Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by Spectaclesawe25: 7:24pm On Oct 13, 2018
This also

Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by BigBrother9ja: 7:42pm On Oct 13, 2018
chukxie:
White?
What is white?
Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by Nobody: 7:44pm On Oct 13, 2018
njelrapheal:
The moon landing was a hoax. Some say the earth is flat and that Antarctica is an ice wall extending from the extremes of the ocean which it holds to vast icy wasteland, and it encircles the known earth which is flat.
How come every other planet is round but earth is flat? Why would the shape of earth be different? it this was true, have found more than 1 billion planets in our galaxy, how come not even a singe one is flat or shaped like a square?
Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by Olorunnim: 8:00pm On Oct 13, 2018
chukxie:
Nigerian scientists are underpaid, underequiped and intelligent thanks to the Nigerian government

2 Likes

Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by mechanics(m): 8:02pm On Oct 13, 2018
I can remember those days of reading geography, when that name is called, one will know it's extremely very cold.

1 Like

Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by mechanics(m): 8:05pm On Oct 13, 2018
HungerBAD:
Explorers your posts are always on point.

Keep it up. I will not mind visiting this place one day.

Some other fun facts about Antarctica.

Antarctica has no time zone, any time zone of the world can be used there.

As unbelievable as this may sound,Antarctica has two ATM Machines operated by the Wells Fargo Bank.
wow, nice one, it's good for one to always go back to history.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by mechanics(m): 8:07pm On Oct 13, 2018
Almaiga:

Weting concern Buhari for this matter. It's like the name gives you an errection anytime you mentioned it.
hahahaha, you don come o.

1 Like

Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by jclassiq(m): 8:25pm On Oct 13, 2018
chukxie:

while we are busy shouting sai baba and atikulate!!

1 Like

Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by xdos(m): 8:31pm On Oct 13, 2018
Heat transfer from an electric powered system would be used in heating the fuel.
martyns303:
@explorers I am interested in knowing the kind of anti icing and de-icing system those aircrafts that lands ....
Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by newoffer: 8:33pm On Oct 13, 2018
duduade:
Nigerian Scientists nko...

Nigerian Politicians nko
. Awon Misappropriators of public fund. Awon masanfani gbogbo. Awon ebora tin gbe ikoyi, banana island bebe lo
Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by amjustme2: 8:57pm On Oct 13, 2018
Do despite huge international protest against exploration, these people went ahead to drill here?
The only pollution-free part of the world is finally gone.

What a Greedy race humans are!

Time to "bring to ruin those ruining the earth" is really nigh!!!
Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by sirhood: 8:59pm On Oct 13, 2018
Explorers:
Just for fun, Cyprien decided to go outside and have a go at ‘cooking,’ taking photos of different kinds of foods in the deep freeze.

Frozen noodles.

Lalasticlala
this is sick
Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by olujastro: 9:06pm On Oct 13, 2018
judey1992:
what if those Astronauts that visited those other planets landed on places like the Antarctica?

definitely they would generalize the earth as being cold non habitable.

just thinking aloud sha
The problem with other planets that make them uninhabitable is lack of oxygen to support life. Mars is currently being explored because there are traces of evidence that it once supported support life.

1 Like

Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by Hostermipo(m): 9:08pm On Oct 13, 2018
judey1992:
what if those Astronauts that visited those other planets landed on places like the Antarctica?

definitely they would generalize the earth as being cold non habitable.

just thinking aloud sha
well said, I also strongly believe that some beings exit in other planets

1 Like

Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by sweetkev(m): 9:21pm On Oct 13, 2018
MrRichmond:

Astronauts have never visited any other planet aside from earth.

The only celestial body ever visited by man till this day remains earth's moon.
Lol, doubting Thomas
Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by olujastro: 9:21pm On Oct 13, 2018
martyns303:
@explorers I am interested in knowing the kind of anti icing and de-icing system those aircrafts that lands there uses. cos under those kind of situation, static vents and pitot tubes are going to get messed up, giving false indications to the corresponding indicators....

Not to mention fuel icing, landing gear, skidding, aqua planning. too many problems for an aircraft to land in that kind of environment. except they designed a special plane to land there.....
Landing isn't a problem on ice as there specific tires that support friction on ice or snow. In temperate countries for example, people switch to winter tires once it starts snowing to avoid skidding.
Same way planes land on the Arctic which is just ice and glaciers, and not a continent.

Regarding fuel icing, fuel tanks could be insulated against cold. It's just like shutting your windows and putting on your heater during winter. Ambient temperature can be - 20'c while you have 22'c inside your home.
But high winds can be very problematic

3 Likes

Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by Iseoluwani: 9:25pm On Oct 13, 2018
I hail ooo
Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by olujastro: 9:29pm On Oct 13, 2018
mexzony:

smiley Gravity.
We here in Nigeria. Our up and down if it exist on a sphere is not the same up and down as someone is US or Australia.
This is funny and could be true. I've tried to tell myself so but when I try to picture standing on a smaller sphere, it doesn't make sense not to appear upside down. I can't comprehend it

But I'm very certain that the earth is spherical. Apart from geographical proofs we were taught in secondary school, I've seen NASA videos/images from space showing a spherical earth.

1 Like

Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by olujastro: 9:42pm On Oct 13, 2018
lereinter:

maybe an aircraft lands nearby and they ferry themselves there

i'm not sure the pics above is a real plane

what do i know

it seems you are an authority in the field.

your expert curiorsity is appreciated

It's not possible to land nearby and ferry a plane down there. The nearest country New Zealand is thousands of miles away from Antarctica. Most of the research stations are situated there while supplies to Antarctica are done by air during their 3 months of summer. ]
Re: This Is What Happens When You Cook In Antarctica At -70°C (Photos) by XTHRONE(m): 10:05pm On Oct 13, 2018
Funjosh:
How can I buy a land on this continent
Is free, just that there is no oxygen there

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Airline Removes Six Seats To Allow World's Tallest Woman Fly On Plane (photos) / Fully Air Conditioned Bus Stop Shelters In Dubai (Photos) / This is not Dubai, this is kano state (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.