Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,350 members, 7,822,665 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:42 PM

SURVIVORS (a Novel) - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / SURVIVORS (a Novel) (19630 Views)

The Wall Between Us. A Novel By EneChelsea / The Thorny Path To Italy- A Novel By Akíntayo Akinjide / Jewel From The Ghetto: New Novel Release!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by skubido(m): 9:41am On Nov 28, 2018
Haaaaaaa,
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by Fazemood(m): 9:59am On Nov 28, 2018
Oga authorsegun come and explain o. What is happening? What has happened to our Jemeh?
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by authorsegun(m): 10:48am On Nov 28, 2018
Fazemood:
Oga authorsegun come and explain o. What is happening? What has happened to our Jemeh?

for my own film, even actor dey die. grin
Fazemood:

for my own film, even actor dey die.
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by Fazemood(m): 10:51am On Nov 28, 2018
authorsegun:

for my own film, even actor dey die. grin
for my own film, even actor dey die.
Chaii shocked
Your 4 tell us sey na Game of Thrones season 8 nah!
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by authorsegun(m): 6:42am On Nov 29, 2018
EPISODE TWENTY FOUR

That night, after ensuring all the doors and windows were properly locked before going to bed, she was almost shocked to numbness when she found Jemeh sitting relaxed against her sofa cushion as she got to the sitting room the next morning. His daunting
eyes upon her further broke her, and it was a minute later before she could speak.

“Sweet Jesus! What're you still doing here?...thought yah gone for good?"

“Good morning, Ma’am,” Jemeh spoke softly, gawking at her - he was amazed, how beautiful she was, standing before him even though she’d just rose from bed.

“I said, what’re you still doing here?”

“I came back.”

“Through where?”

“The door.”

“You've always penetrated the doors, but yah so dumb to tell the truth all along, making me feel uncertain,”Amanda said.

“I’m really sorry for troubling your life, alright? I came back so that you can help me find out who I am because my memory is empty - I don’t know who I am.”

“No...no, no, can’t help. I’m not spiritual!”Amanda snapped.

“Please! I’m begging you.”

“I said I can’t, buh I’ll surely help you find the light, I promise you that and don’t come in the bathroom door,” Amanda said while walking away to the bathroom, "Snitch!" she hummed as she walked.

All of the time she spent in the bathing tub, she was soliloquizing on how to
get rid of Jemeh.

TBC...

3 Likes

Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by skubido(m): 8:46am On Nov 29, 2018
OP tanks for the update
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by Ann2012(f): 9:30am On Nov 29, 2018
Kilon shele gan gan sad

Thanks for the update OP
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by skubido(m): 1:41pm On Nov 29, 2018
Ann2012:
Kilon shele gan gan sad

Osumi ooooo

1 Like

Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by SweetSultana: 6:07am On Dec 03, 2018
Better late than sorry...a late joiner but I'm enjoying the story...waiting for more
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by authorsegun(m): 12:01am On Dec 07, 2018
EPISODE 25
Amanda wanted to narrate her nightmare to Nora over the phone but she decided to see her one on one at the office instead. During lunch they remained in Amanda’s office. Nora was astonished by Amanda’s bravery at the end of her narration.

"I'm not gonna leave my twenty fourth birthday most expensive gift to a ghost or spirit. 

“Yeah, that house is precious indeed – over a million dollars? Bae! Your Pops' the man. Nora said, what does he looks like?”

“Who?”

“Your ghost guest," Nora said, holding back a chucks so as not to sound sarcastic.

“Oh, I told you he’s not looking like an alien or something,” she continued, “He’s tall, fair and handsome – he’s got this
charming smile that makes him looks harmless. But, his trouting in and out of my house without the whirring sound of the door hinge freaks me out."

"Ghosts are dangerous, we're going to get him out anyways."

“Yea, that’s why I called to you,” Amanda said.

“My ten thousand naira is safe now, right?”

“He didn’t take the money,”Amanda said, “I only teased to get yah ass sobered up.”

At the end of their conversation, Nora  promised to bring a spiritual list over to Amanda’s duplex to cleanse it. Amanda was glad and contended with that, even though she’d little or no belief in such. If not that she’d learnt not to show all of her fears and worries, her productivity at work would have dropped significantly in the past few days.

Later that evening, Jemeh was on the swing seat hung down the Guarri tree in the garden, when Amanda walked up the sitting room with Nora and an older man in white robe. The man held a brownish Gold Thurible suspended in chains in one hand and a staff in the other hand. In no time, he started making some unknown utterances and moving from one corner of the room to the other, swinging the thurible.

Jemeh saw lines of thin smoke from the garden, bellowing from the window and thought there was a fire outbreak and, so he dashed up stairs to check it out at once. Walking into the sitting room, he saw Amanda and her friend, standing very close to each other in one
corner of the room. They were flicking a devastating stare at the man in the other corner, as they wrinkled the nose to the smell of the incense.

“Huh! What’s going on, are you alright?” Jemeh asked aloud, with the assurance that only Amanda could hear and see him.

“What does it looks like? He’s gonna get you  outta here,” Amanda said in a whisper, pointing to the spiritualist with the corner of her eyes so as not to distract nor scare Nora.

Jemeh said with a smirk, “On the contrary, he’s only going to get some noise out of the smoke alarm. BTW, how can he drive away who he cannot see?” 

Just as Amanda began to ponder on Jemeh’s words and Nora now asking who she was talking to, did the fire alarm began to hoot. 

Amanda sighed and began to ‘shush’ everyone out of the room.

“He couldn’t even see him," Amanda said to Nora in a low voice as they walked the man down the stairs.

Next was a Pastor. Amanda ushered him to the parlor up the duplex, where he made loud prayers in his nice looking suit. He'd wiped his face with a white handkerchief several times during the prayers and instructed Amanda and Nora to join him. Jemeh sat there in a sofa watching them without saying a word. After the exercise, the pastor said to Amanda and Nora that it was over – the spirit was gone, that Amanda could now live in her house in peace. Amanda looked at Jemeh with corner eyes, she could see him sitting comfortably in her favourite chair chuckling. 

“Yea, yea, he’s gone,” Amanda said with a ridiculous grin, as she motioned the pastor to the door.

“He’s still here right?” Nora’s eyes wild with horror.

“Yea… sitting right beside you.”

“Jesus!” Nora whirled herself out of the place at once, and when  she could find her breath, she asked, Amanda, “Did you kill a man? I’m asking because this spirit is so stubborn – like a revenging ghost o.”

“Of course not,” Amanda gave her a disappointing look.

Jemeh released a chunk of laughs, looking at the two ladies as he adjusted to a more relaxing position in the sofa.

“Don’t make fun of us!” Amanda snapped. 

Then, there was this third spiritualist that Nora brought. She was in an unaltered red garment, and her face, flamboyantly maked-up. Amanda had given her a chance because she 
was a lady, but then, she’d sprinkled a drum of water in the room with a broom already. Jemeh couldn’t stop himself from laughing out loud as he watched Amanda’s face getting clouded with anger – most especially because of her rug.

“Sorry…” Nora raised her shoulders, noticing Amanda’s demeanor.

“You ‘d better sharrap,” Amanda snapped at Jemeh and ignored Nora.

“Alright, alright… but it’s funny their tricks aren’t working on me,” Jemeh said to Amanda, “I told you I’m not a ghost.”

“Then what’re you, ah? Tell me!” Amanda yelled at him.

“I don’t know, that’s why I need you to help me find out who I am or was: my name, what I do, where am from, please I beg you,” Jemeh said and plodded out to the bathroom.

“What’s he saying?” Nora asked Amanda.

“He wants me to help him find out his I.D. – he can’t remember anything."

“Then do it, if that would make him go away.”

“How do I go bout that, ah? Don’t have such time, girl!". Amanda whispered to Nora, as she was walking out of the sitting room. "And you’d better tell that mistress to stop sprinkling that water before I dry em up with her garment." she was now at the door post.

Amanda walked to the bathroom and met Jemeh sitting in the dry tub.

“What’re you doing in my tub? If you’d excuse me, I wanna take a shower," she said.

“Use another one, I’m here already," said Jemeh.

“What? This ma duplex, you know that?”

“Then push me out.”

Amanda’s eyes darkened with helplessness. She dreaded the thought of losing her house to a ghost. The thought filled her grey eyes with suspended water.

On the other hand, Jemeh thought Amanda looked even more beautiful whenever she was angry; that was when her dimples revealed, and so he wouldn’t get agitated by Amanda's snarls. He gave her stares of admiration instead.

After that time, Jemeh started following her all around – everywhere she went; the office, shopping malls, road, restaurants and so on, pressuring her to help him to help him.

“I’ll make you look crazy if you don’t help me,” Jemeh had warned her before  now. 

At work, Nora would just stay away whenever she saw Amanda talking to herself. Others thought she was going nut.

“What’re y’all looking at?" she'd most of the time smear at the people. She was easily lured into talking by Jemeh, he could be so unavoidable.

After much pressure from Jemeh, she decided to run away to her father’s special Thatch – cottage house somewhere along the coastal region of the state. She wasn’t used to giving up a fight, but this one was out of her league. Her father had been away for sometime now. She alone would have to control Fray and the maids in the beautiful masterpiece. There was this security dog in the yard that’d succeeded in keeping Jemeh away from the house; Jemeh couldn’t stand the
continuous barking, which the giant dog let out whenever he tries to access the house. Jemeh hated the dog, Fay too; she couldn’t play freely around the compound as she always dud in her formal house without being chased by the big dog.

Being away from Jemeh was  an air of freedom to Amanda, but only for a few days - it wasn’t long before she became bored. A mixed feeling of loving the freedom and at same time missing the mischief maker engulfed her, but of course she couldn’t convince herself that she was missing him.

A  week later, in the evening, Jemeh stood at the window, looking out to the streets, and wishing Amanda could change her mind and return to her house. He’d made up his mind to let her have her peace, and would apologize even. Just then, he saw Amanda’s car coming through the drive way. His face brightened with joy, as he waited to tender his apology.

“Oh, my chandelier!” Amanda shouted on arriving the sitting room, “Who did this to me?” 

She began to collect the pieces of the chattered glasses from the floor. All of a sudden, Jemeh appeared before her and spoke in a low voice, “I thought I could only penetrate the lights but this thing just came down with it all of a sudden. I swear it isn’t intentional.”

“You can go into electric? Oh my God!” Amanda’s eyes became dark with rage and terror as she gazed at Jemeh in disbelief. She made an irrational conclusion that Jemeh was nothing more but trouble to hang with.
The chandelier was a special gift from her mother on her eighth birthday. The customized lights had Amanda’s pet name – ‘Pompkin’ in display; it meant more than a gift to her, it was a symbol of her mother’s presence, but it was all gone now - Jemeh had broken it. She began to breath heavily at the thought. Jemeh could see an assurance of trouble in her mien. She grabbed the  flower pot hanging on the wall behind her and hurled it at Jemeh. It  caught him on his forehead, blood accomplished the shattering and Jemeh fell to the ground.

For the next two minutes, they were both in gloomy silence, then Jemeh broke the silence.

"Yes! I told you I’m alive! Hahaha!”

He kept on cherishing the feeling of  pain and the cold blood creeping down his forehead until Amanda came standing in front of him with a sorry face and an ice bag in her hand, “Are you Okay?”she asked in a very low  voice and squatted to tend to his wound, but her hand went through. She withdraw her hand immediately in horror, gazing at Jemeh. The cut began to seal up right in front of her. Her eyes started asking so many questions as they waggled around their sockets. 

TBC...

Hello all, sorry 4d late post, I've been busy making a hard copy for this story.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by skubido(m): 8:17am On Dec 07, 2018
Hmmmmm

OP tanks for the update ooooo
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by michael123pelemo(m): 8:40am On Dec 07, 2018
Op, another update oh
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by queenitee(f): 9:18am On Dec 07, 2018
Ah, what happened to our Jemeh?
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by Fazemood(m): 11:00am On Dec 07, 2018
queenitee:
Ah, what happened to our Jemeh?
Hello queenitee, been awhile. How u?
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by authorsegun(m): 3:36pm On Dec 07, 2018
cover!

2 Likes

Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by queenitee(f): 8:17pm On Dec 07, 2018
Fazemood:

Hello queenitee, been awhile. How u?
Been fine and you sir?
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by Ann2012(f): 9:00pm On Dec 07, 2018
Ayam confused sad

Thanks for the update
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by authorsegun(m): 6:05am On Dec 11, 2018
Chapter 27

Jemeh was not left out in the amusement.

“Yes, I think I’m alright,” Jemeh said, romancing his forehead.
“It’s healed already.”

Some minutes later, Amanda sat dazed and back to back with Jemeh. It look a few seconds before she could found her mouth again and asked,“What happened?” 

“I don’t know, but it looks like you can hurt me when emotional,” Jemeh replied.

“Are you worried about that?”

“Don’t know.”

“Hmm..”

“You came back.”

“Yes, was kinda bored over there."

"Oh."

“I never hated you though," Amanda said.

“Really?"
Jemeh said and turned to face Amanda.

"Yes."

“I’ d stay close to the windows in the evenings, hoping to see you drive in. I'm ready  to leave you in peace.”

“Are you still gonna leave?”

“If you insist."

“Stay!”

“Alright, thanks."

“Hello boss!”

“Speak!

“A reliable source told me the target would be moved out of the ICU to another hospital tomorrow.” 

“keep your eyes opened. We wouldn’t be discussing this if you’d done your job perfectly.”

“I’m sorry…”

The call ended.

Chivera leaned her head against the steering wheel, thinking of what next to do.
She remembered warning Anderson about Jemeh’s insubordination several times  that he never took seriously, but in the end, the blame is always up on her. She scrubbed her golden hair with her elongated polished fingers and groaned to the thought. Each time she presented complaints against the 'boy', Anderson would tap her by the shoulder and say, she worried too much. She was lost in her thoughts until a foggy horn came from behind – giving her signal to move her car. She flicked a quick glance at the traffic lights, it was on green. She stepped on the clutch and accelerator, then released the clutch too fast as if starting a car race and zoomed off.

Anderson on the other end was becoming inpatient about the sudden setback in his plot. Taking away everything that mattered to Merit Walker was the only appealing offering that would calm the range of revenge in his heart. The deeper he
thought about all that had transpired between him and Walker, the darker his heart became. As he lit the tobacco pipe in the corner of  his mouth,  his mind flew back to twenty years ago, coincidentally the date on the table calendar in front of him. It was the day he received the most devastating news of his life – the day his father, his hero and role model was reported to have
died of  a heart attack; an illness out of overdue depression – a depression he had developed as a result of his lost out in the control of his tobacco company in Texas. 

Walker was the hungry investor that wanted the control of the company at all cost. He’d through blackmail and tricks achieved his aim and became the major shareholder of the company. It was unbearable for Anderson, when he discovered that the same man who took away his girlfriend with his two weeks old baby in her womb few years back was the pioneer of his father’s death. Only a mad man would stand in his way now that he’d spent fifteen years and a change of I.D. to come this close to his
only enemy. His eyes gloomed terror behind his lens as the words of his father ladened his eardrums as if the dead man was right behind him.

“My son, I’ve labored so hard to build this company. Ensure you make the best use of it while I’m gone someday."

Then next board of director's meeting would come up in two weeks, a perfect timing for a strike, but there was still no enough measure to put  walker under duress; to letting him relieve himself as the major shareholder of the tobacco company. The realization further brooded Anderson's eyes, then he took his phone and called Chivera.

“Hey!"

“Yes boss!"

“You’ve got to find the hospital as soon as possible and put an end to his misery. The meeting is coming up sooner than expected. Once you can clean up your mess, I’ll put up a plan for the primary target. Time’s not on our side."

“Copied!"

The call ended, Chivera scrolled down her phone book to call her source.

“Hello!”

“Yo!" A girlish  voice answered from the other end of the phone.

“I need to know where they’re moving the target, the security of the place and the doctor in charge before dusk,”

“That’ll cost extra hundred grands,” the voice said.

“Deal!” She hung up and flung her phone to
the bed and buried her head in between her hands.

Chivera knew by her mind-eyes that something wasn’t right about the mission, but for the honour of late Pa Okeke, she must finish what she’d started. She’d been a plot in the company by Anderson all along. She was having a good career in the
media industry before Anderson brainwashed her down to Lagos from New York, four years ago.

The Police followed Jemeh’s I.D. to Merit Plc. and discovered that his data wasn’t in the system; they’d come to see if there was any form of indemnity on Jemeh in order to lift the responsibility of his treatment to his employers. They however started smelling a rat, when they met the HR’s office empty, but the SWOT analysis exercise that preceded Niyi's resignation was a better explanation. 

Anderson’d been keeping his wife in the dark all along. His newly developed attitude might just throw some light into the
dark, if he continues with his many secret calls, less business trips avoidance of family prayers and an unusual closeness with
Chivera. His wrinkles and grey hair had tripled over in this short period.

Each time his wife tried to get something out
of him, he’d hold her by shoulders and gently say to her in half whispers, “You worry too much, Love, I’m fine!" Then kiss on her
forehead.

His safety and health was still her despair but Anderson would easily win her over with words. The same way he’d
penetrated her heart twenty four year ago when they first met. It was at a train subway station in Paris. While Anderson was going home from school, she was heading Lourdes, but her train had delayed behind schedule. It was a boring day, but Anderson was in his perky mood brought out two sachets of cheese burger from his backbag and beckoned on her to have one.

“Kiffer?” he asked her in French. She let out a muffled simile and shook her head in disagreement. Anderson’d engaged her in so much conversation in French before he finally discovered she wasn’t a French Lady.

“Where’re you from?” he asked.

“Nigeria?” she answered, “How did you know I speak English?”

“From your accent. I’m from Nigeria too,” Anderson said, smiling.

“Family here?” she inquired.

“Yes, somewhere here in Paris, and you?”

“Just me and me,” she smiled aloud this time, “I’m a student at University of Gemble.”

“Oh great! I study at Ecole Normale Superieure, Paris,” Anderson said.

They got along so easily and when their train finally arrived, they were still sitting next to each other chatting.

“You don’t look all Nigeria,” she said.

“…some of my ancestors were white.”

In the kitchen, Amanda was making bacon and egg breakfast grilled cheese sandwich. Jemeh sat on a stool in the middle of
the kitchen, watching her swifty movement around in white apron. She beat eggs, milk, salt and papper in small bowl until blended, then heated one teaspoon butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot and poured in the egg mixture. As
eggs began to set, she gently pulled the eggs across the pan with an inverted turner, forming large soft cords. She continued with other procedures, while Jemeh watched in delight. Then finally, she grilled sandwich over medium heat, turning once, until bread was toasted and cheese was melted about three minutes.

“Yeah! Breakfast  is ready!” Amanda shouted admist smiles.

“Absolutely!” Jemeh concord, gazing at Amanda without a blink of the eyes. “Who thought you this?” he asked. 

“Ma mother… late mother,” Amanda answered. 

“So sorry about her,” Jemeh said, noticing her changed demeanor. 

“It’s alright,” she said, and had started dishing out the food in two plates, set on the dinning table before she reckoned Jemeh's situation. Her eyes oscillated to and from Jemeh’s eyes and the plate severally, and when she notice Jemeh’s facial
expression, she just had to say something. 

“I’m so – so sorry,” she said.

“It’s alright, I'm fine.”

Jemeh understood what she was sorry about.

“Don’t worry, everything’s gone be fine” she said with so much confidence in her voice.

Her words came cooling on Jemeh’s worried soul like the feeling of snow in summer. Jemeh listened to her like a church member to his prophet and wished she could just go on and never stop. After breakfast, Amanda decided to elude work that day.

“I’m gonna take a shot of you in ma phone and move around the neighbourhood - someone should know you around," Amanda said to Jemeh, who was now sitting close to her.

“Wow! Thanks, Amanda.”

“You now know my name, nice!”

“I’ve heard that girl call you by it many times."

“Oh! Nora?”

“Is that her name?”

“Yea, it's her name. I think I’m just gonna sketch yah face instead.”

“Why?"

“Nothing." Amanda lied to cover up the fact that her phone camera couldn’t see his reflection.

“Don’t you wanna see how good I am in sketching?” Amanda asked with a light up face.

“Sure! Can’t wait," Jemeh said, “Should I stay right here?” he asked, taking to a frozen posture in front  of Amanda.

Amanda was indeed a good sketcher, that in ten minutes, she whooped up Jemeh’s portrait.

“Wow! You sketch real good," Jemeh said, investing his full concentration on the A4 paper laid on the dinning table. Smiles
surged out of his oval face as he steadied his gaze. “I’m sure the face on this paper looks better than my real face.” Jemeh smiled on; he’d not seen his face for some weeks now.

“Time up, Handsome! We’re moving right into the neighbourhood.” Amanda took the sketch from the table.

In the neighbourhood, the first two persons they’d stumbled upon said they hadn’t seen the face before. Others reacted with
apathy. Then, there was this nerdy that was whining.

“What did you say happened to him again?” the nerdy asked, revealing  her two oversized upper  incisors and adjusting her glasses.

“We don’t know!... I mean I don’t know, that’s why I’m here," Amanda said.

“We? Do you have more of you here?” 

“Just me, sleep of tongue. Do you know him or not?”

“This girl is a waste of time,” Said Jemeh to Amanda, “Let’s get out of here.”

“Well – I think I’ve seen that face before – around em….” the nerd scratched her forehead with a grimace.

TBC...
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by Nobody: 6:28am On Dec 11, 2018
Thanks for the update
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by Ann2012(f): 7:51am On Dec 11, 2018
Thanks for the update
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by authorsegun(m): 9:33pm On Dec 11, 2018
CHAPTER 28

...the nerd scratched her forehead trying to remember.

Amanda and Jemeh centered their gaze on her in anticipation before she deadened the hysteria with her questions.

“Wait, is he in some trouble?”she asked.

“Nah,” Amanda answered, stamping her foot on the ground.

“Okay, is he – dead?”

“Nah! Amanda yelled out in impatience.

“I’m sorry Ma’am, I don’t think I know him.” The nerd finally murdered their hope.

Two days had now gone by with no success in their quest. Hopelessness resident in their countenance as they walk along the roadside.

“Are you as tired as I am?” Amanda asked without looking at Jemeh and stiffened a yawn.

“No, I don’t walk, I float,”Jemeh answered without looking at Amanda also.

Some minutes later, Amanda suddenly cheered up and got up from the sofa (they were now at home) and asked Jemeh out for a drink and some good music, instead of mourning their grievances on a Friday night.
Jemeh just played along. Quickly, she got into her bath towel, flung her clothes at Jemeh, smiling until she disappeared into
the bathroom.

“Come over here, don’t wanna be here along,” she shouted from the bathroom, but Jemeh pretended not to hear her. She then screamed so loud from the bathroom and Jemeh dashed in in a blink of an eye.

“What happened?” he asked, looking around.

Amanda chuckled and said, “Got you!”

Jemeh turned to her and flickered off the lights; the room became gloomy.

“C’mon, put em back on.”

Jemeh now looking away, queried,“Why did you do that?”

“To get you here of course!”Amanda smirked.

“But you’re …”Jemeh paused.

“I’m what?...  are you moved? Ain’t you supposed to be ghost?” she said, letting out contended simile.

In front of the closet, Amanda stood in her bathrobe and called out to Jemeh. He joined her at once. Fay came along with him.

“How did you get Fay to like you?” Amanda asked.

“Maybe she got tired of fighting” Jemeh replied.

“Yah such an amusement,” Amanda said and turned her eyes back to the closet.

“Would you prefer I wear this?” Amanda asked, pointing to satin red backout gown she held in the other hand and pressed
against her body to match her curves. “… or that?” she pointed to a black stripped sleeveless fish tail gown held up in a hanger in the closet.

Jemeh’s memory blipped at the sight of the red dress. There was this sharp pain like the piecing of a needle in his spine. He lowered to the ground and held his head in his hands with his eyes shut so tight. Amanda threw away the dress and went down with him. 

“Are you okay?” she asked, probing him with her eyes.

“Yes, yes, my memory flashed when i saw that dress on u.” Jemeh blinked his blue eyes many times, trying to bring back the memory.

“Did you see anything?” Amanda asked.

“No. It came and it's gone too quick.”

“Should I put it on?”

“Yes, please.”

“Aye.”

Amanda wore the dress again.

“Did you see anything?” she asked.

“No” Jemeh muttered.

Amanda moved to her library downstairs to play on her grand piano. What she was used to doing in time of sorrow.

She used to top up in music class back in high school.

The notes started making sense to Jemeh as she started singing the piece she’d written year ago.

♫♪ say you love me?
     But you ain’t here to hold my hands,
     Say you ain't here to show me you care,
     Say you love me?  (x7) ♫♪

Jemeh was magnetized to the library from the upper floor. He stood
behind Amanda, as she played on and his memory ducked into the Halloween party at D2 lounge, Lekki. He could see Amanda sitting on a bar-stool at the bar a little away from the main hall.
She was on the satin red dress. She looked bored just as Jemeh was. Jemeh walked up to her with a glass of lemonade in his hand and took to the stool beside her. An old-school pop was playing low in the
background.

“This party is a big yawn,” Jemeh said to Amanda as he laid his cup on the bar cabinet. 

Amanda rolled her eyes. Who asked you? she asked inwardly, “but yah right.” She turned to him and voiced it out. “Yeah… yah right.”

“Could you please plop some ice in my drink?”Jemeh requested.

“Sure!” Amanda said and passed the jug of ice to him.

He plopped some cubes in his drink, “Is that your man?” he asked,
pointing to a tall man in blue shirt and black pant, chatting with some ladies in the main hall.

“Huh! He’s my ex. I came alone, but we ran into each other," she answered, but felt a bit embarrassed explaining herself to the stranger. “How long have you been watching me, huh?” she chuckled behind her mask. 

“Since I arrived.” Jemeh raised his shoulder.

“Damn! Yah so jobless, hey!”

“You can say that again.”

“Is that girl in green yah girl friend?” Amanda fought back.

“No.” Jemeh replied.

“I saw the way you’ve been staring at her."

“She’s my colleagues at work – my a friend.”

Men, always assholes, Amanda said in her mind.

“I hate their sense of music too,” Jemeh said, gazing at Amanda’s headphone. “What’re you listening to?”

“My song,” she answered.

“Are you an artist?”

“Nah, I do it for fun.”

Jemeh smiled and asked, “Can I have a feel?”

“Sure!” She said and gave him the headphone.
He plugged it to his ears and began to move his  body to the rhythm.

“This is cool," he said and started dropping rap lines,  not minding it’s coherence.
Amanda picked interest. A flicker of simile crossed her face as she watched Jemeh’s funny displays.

Jemeh smiled back – he could see her charming smiles behind her mask. “That was world class,” Jemeh said as he unplugged the 
headphone from his ear and gave it back to her.

“And yah lines were just made for the song.”

“Did you lost someone?” Jemeh inquired owing to the lyrics of the song.

“Yes. Did you?” Amanda asked back.

“Yes,” Jemeh answered.

“So sorry.”

“I’m sorry too.”

“So, yah a rapper?” Amanda asked.

"No, lets just, I’m just a creative personality.”

Amanda chuckled to Jemeh’s words of description on himself.

“Maybe you should consider rapping officially, aye?"

“Hahaha! That’ll be after I see you on stage.”

“But you don’t know me, and maybe never would,” Amanda said.

“My bad! I’m Jemeh,” he extended a hand of friendship.

“Amanda Walker,” Amanda took his hand.

That was the softest and most sophisticated hand Jemeh’d ever shook. He didn’t let go until a voice started yelling out his name from the hall – it was the girl in green. Jemeh became temporarily deaf that moment.

“Any chance of ever seeing the jewel behind this cat-face (mask)?” Jemeh asked, not moving his eyes from Amanda’s.

“It depends?" Amanda answered, smiling.

“Any clue?” asked Jemeh.

“Habert Building, Ikoyi,” answered Amanda before the girl in green came dragging Jemeh  back to the hall.

Jemeh returned from the flashback and met Amanda in the middle of the song. He 
waited for her to complete it, then he butted in his rap lines.

.♫♪….tell me why you have to go,
Why you have to leave me all alone,
You promised you’ll
train me to the throne,
Papa,
I need you by my side now,
Cos there’s no answer.
I wish to bring you back,
from yonder.
Your boy so grown now,
No longer the tender… .♫

Tears sprang to Amanda’s eyes, as she listened to Jemeh; her memory had revealed the flashback as well. She threw an anticipating glance at Jemeh, as she lifted her 
eyes from the keyboard.

"I’m Jemeh!” Jemeh put out his right hand.

“Amanda Walker!” she replied and took his abstract hand.

The pool of water suspended in her eyes finally broke loose and started plopping onto the keyboard. Amanda wanted to stop, get up from the piano stool but Jemeh motioned her to keep playing. Though she’d so much questions to ask him, but the music was a comfort to her soul; she played until sleep took over her.

TBC...

1 Like

Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by Ann2012(f): 9:53pm On Dec 11, 2018
Interesting

Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by Fazemood(m): 11:38pm On Dec 11, 2018
Amazing. Romantic.

Chivera is actually a bad girl, and Jemeh works in his own company, wow. He doesn't even know that.
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by skubido(m): 2:06pm On Dec 12, 2018
Tanks for the update
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by authorsegun(m): 8:43pm On Dec 12, 2018
EPISODE 29

Two days later, Jemeh and Amanda sat in the garden lawn, facing each other, wishing they could have that hand shake again, and had even made several attempts. A day before now, Amanda took Jemeh to D2 lounge to see if it would strike more memories, but no memory was triggered, not even when she took him to some recreation 
centers and restaurants.

“I waited for you, Jemeh, but you never showed up,” Amanda hummed.

“I’m sorry, Amanda. Can’t remember what happened after the party.”

“Or maybe you just didn’t try to look for me at all,” Amanda said.

“I wish I have a clue.”

“You’re damn strange now, you came right to me.”

“I’m truly sorry, believe me.”

“No, just go away!”Amanda started whining in her grievance.

“Go I don’t need you here!” go!!!”she yelled.

Jemeh understood her pain well enough to just remain mute and allow her pour her heart. As she yelled on, her voice began to fade, her vision began to blur, and her strength began to shear. Suddenly, she slumped to her knees, panting for oxygen. Jemeh became dazed at the scenario; he didn’t know what to do - how to revive her from her unconscious state. He paced up and down the duplex like the husband of a woman in the labour room. There was no one around to help, and if there was, he couldn’t have been able to make audible sound to get attention. He glanced at Amanda who was now lying completely  unconscious on the floor and quickly withdrew his eye. A conventional heart started developing in his chest. The outcome of the reaction was a sparking blue beeper in his eye - like electric sparks.

Now he’d to just make an attempt to revive her in his own way, but the fear of hurting her more overtook him, as he was a tyro at that - the use of electric impulse. Some how he knew what he was doing, and even though he had lost his memory, some ideas and experience still hanged in there. He knew that human body posses some ions which would make it behave like an electric conductor from elementary science. A high impulse would waste her life, Jemeh thought and began to suppress the heat in his chest to minimal – to generate static charges. It was as easy as breathing for him to do that. He looked at her and send the charges into her motionless body. The impulse made her jerked upward on her chest as if being poked. After a few seconds, her breathing started leveling up. She opened her mouth to say something, but it was devoid of sounds; her lips were ice frozen, her eyes danced within their sockets, indicating that she really wanted to say something. Jemeh’s eyes became damped with tears and somehow he was mumbling some prayers.

“Are… are you alright?” he stammered. 

“Yes,” the word miraculously escaped from Amanda's weak lips.

Jemeh’s watery eyes became dehydrated all at once. He wished he could help her up to a seat, but could only watch helplessly as she struggled to get on her feet. Restlessness lingered in his countenance until she finally made it to a nearby seat.

“Aye, it’s okay, I’m fine,” Amanda muttered as she sank into the arm-chair.

“You’ll need to see a doctor,” Jemeh said.

“Yeah, it’s long over due,” said Amanda.

Jemeh’s stare turned into a bewildered one as he asked, “Have you been diagnosed?”

“No, I’m just depressed,” she lied. “I’ll be seeing  my Doc. tomorrow though.”

The next day, they took Uber Taxi to Elizabeth Hospital on the Island; an affiliated hospital to Elizabeth International Hospital, New York. The hospital had been Amanda’s family hospital since time immemorial and Doctor Malice had been Amanda’s
family private doctor ever since she moved down to this largest community of blacks in the world.

Jemeh’s face changed immediately he stepped out from the elevator  to the seventh floor of the hospital. Amanda noticed the changes, but thought the hurly –burly of the hospital was responsible for the agitation.

To clear her curiosity, she asked,“I saw you struggling to avoid collision
with people back there, are you okay?”

“I just feel strange – can’t explain the void inside me,” replied Jemeh.

“I don’t like coming to the hospital too,” Amanda said, then moved to the reception, and located a seat for Jemeh.

“Jem, sit here, okay? I’ll be right back. No snitching!” 

Jemeh smiled to the sobriquet and said he would try.

“I mean it, Jem,” she said without smiling.

Amanda walked back to the elevator looking back to Jemeh with a patronizing stares; Jemeh  wasn’t bought over by Amanda’s expression – he knew she was up to something and he was determined to find out. He walked to the elevator just after she was out of sight. He would have penetrated the elevator car but for Amanda's plead for him to be acting human, so he waited to join someone in the elevator.
Even though he didn’t know where exactly to look for Amanda.

Just about then, the elevator door sprang opened, and a man in black suit came out of it. Jemeh hopped in at once. Beside him was a young man in white overall. Jemeh interrogated him with a peering gaze. His tattoo and goatic beards were a point of attraction to Jemeh – he wondered why this very man in white overall looked different from others in that outfit.

The man hit on the tenth floor nob, Jemeh followed him out of the elevator car. There was an inscription on a metallic plate hanging down from the ceiling in the mouth of the floor, It read, 'ICU, No unauthorized person(s) is (are) allowed.'

The man grimaced to the dazzling white lights, bellowing out from the ceiling, as he tried to read the inscription before moving forward. Jemeh began to cast aspersion  on the man’s integrity from the look of things, and with no specific aim, he decided to follow the man. They moved along the quiet passage side by side, peering into each ward through the glass doors. There was a motionless body on each bed and a machine of the size of a microwave, beeping beside each bed.

On getting to the door, having 'Ward 10’ on top of the door, the man stopped ahead of Jemeh who’d slackened his pace behind. He looked to his left and right as if trying to be sure no one was following him, then he brought out his phone and dialed some numbers numbers.

“Llo! He’s on da Tenth flo, Ward ten, but he looks  dumped.” the man said into the phone.

“Is he still breathing,” asked the voice from the  other side of the phone.

“Yeah… da indicator is moving,” the man said.

“Okay,” the voice said.

“Send ma balance,” the man said.

After the call, he looked to his left and right again and walked quickly to the elevator.

Jemeh drew closer to the ward when the man was gone. Through the transparent door, he could see the patient in there with his face having resemblance with Amanda’s sketch. He penetrated the ward to have a better look. Could this be me? He rushed
out breathing heavily. In the next minute, he was looking for Amanda. He moved quickly, penetrating wall and doors in the search.

“I didn’t know how and where to start looking for you. Where’re you coming from, Jemeh?” Amanda asked Jemeh  from behind.

“I’ve been looking for you,” answered Jemeh.

“But I told you not to move."

“Yes yes yes, I know, something came up,” Jemeh said, “Follow me." He started moving to the elevator. 

“What did you see?” Amanda inquired as she tried to catch up.

“I’m not sure, but it’s on the tenth floor.”

They hurried into the elevator and moved upwards. On getting to the tenth floor, they discovered that a security man had mounted the floor, but to their luck, he was backing the elevator and so, they’d the chance to hide behind the giant roll-up banner beside the elevator.

“He wasn’t there before,” Jemeh said.

“Maybe they saw you through their surveillance camera,” muttered Amanda.

“Perhaps, him – I’m invisible.”

“Who?”

“The man in lab coat.”

“Which man?” 

“I followed him to ward ten and … wait, let me try this trick, on the guard,” Jemeh said and focused on the electric bulb shinning above his head. Immediately, the lights in the entire floor began to flicker off and on and the man in uniform became agitated. He rushed to the elevator, maybe to report the situation.

Amanda was about to start mocking the guard as he ran past them, when she observed Jemeh’s face.

“Are you okay?

“I felt a bit nauseous when I flickered the lights. But I’m fine now.”

As soon as the guard was out of sight, they hurried to the ward. Amanda pressed her face against the door pan to see through.

“Baby, that’s you in there,” Amanda’s eyes pocked out in shock. She wanted to run away but she came back and pushed the heavy metal door, but the door didn’t move an inch. She gave up and steadied her gaze on the body on the bed.

Her feelings oscillated between mirth and nightmare.

“Yah in coma, yah still alive! Got to find out what happened to you, or 
can you remember anything?” Amanda asked with a lit-up face.

“No,” Jemeh replied.

“Go in, tryna posses yah body,” said Amanda.

Jemeh went in and buried himself inside the motionless body lying on the bed. After some seconds, he came out of the body with sweaty face and turned to Amanda with a disappointing stare. Amanda  understood Jemeh’s facial expression – she knew Jemeh’s effort didn’t work. What to do next? She became confused and started pushing harder on the door. So many ideas began to flaunt her head shortly after; she thought if she could have contact with Jemeh’s body what happened in the movie ‘sleeping beauty’ could be a reality, so she pushed even harder and harder on the door until sweat broke out of her face.

Jemeh wasn’t talking, Amanda wasn’t too; there was this brooding silence in the atmosphere until a hosky voice came from closeby.

“Excuse me, Madam!”

Amanda jerked and twisted her neck to see who had the voice.

“Oops! The guard again!” she said under her breath.

“Can I see you pass, please,” the guard said to Amanda as he was right behind her.

“I’m so sorry, I never knew I needed one,” Amanda said, now fully turned and facing the guard.

“I’m sorry about him,” the guard said, peering into the ward. “But you’ll need a pass next time. You can have ‘five’ though," the guard added and moved a little away.

“Thanks,” Amanda said with a forced-out simile and returned her gaze to Jemeh and his body. Jemeh had sat up beside his body on the bed, looking thoughtful and unwilling to leave.The only man who could have explained things to him in a clearified way had refused to show up again since the first day of Jemeh’s transition. He’d introduced himself as Gabriel; Jemeh’s most likely future guardian. Most of the questions Jemeh’d asked him that day remained unanswered.

“Please, you can’t leave me in this void like that,” Jemeh recalling his conversations with Gabriel.

“I said, stop following me, your time is not now!” Gabriel had yelled.

“Why’re you the only one that can see and hear me? Mr. Gabriel, be kind enough to explain na.”

“I’ll come back for you, if I have to,” Gabriel said while walking away.

“Baby, my time’s up. The guard’ll soon be here to drive me,” Amanda said in a damp voice, taking Jemeh off his thoughts. “Don’t push it too hard on yourself.  Remember we’re in this together. I’m gonna sort for a pass then make sure you make it out of here alive..
"

TBC...

1 Like

Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by Ann2012(f): 9:13pm On Dec 12, 2018
Interesting
Well done OP
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by Fazemood(m): 9:43pm On Dec 12, 2018
Oh sad, looking at your vessel yet can't possess it.
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by queenitee(f): 9:55pm On Dec 12, 2018
Oh, poor Jemeh
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by skubido(m): 9:27am On Dec 13, 2018
Hmmmmm,

OP tanks for the update
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by Vulcanheph(m): 10:00am On Dec 13, 2018
When I started reading I was looking for the connection between Jemeh( an unemployed naija hustler), and amanda(an American gal) but the writer skillfully brought them together.... Now I really don't know what happened to jemeh but I know the writer will bring us into the light (pun intended)

1 Like

Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by badmuskamal(m): 10:03am On Dec 13, 2018
This is interesting
Re: SURVIVORS (a Novel) by Vulcanheph(m): 10:13am On Dec 13, 2018
I wanna officially announce that this movie ehmm! Sorry , this story has made front page

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie: ”We Don’t Care About Trump Calling Africa A Shithole" / How To Learn Jungle Language / The Book Of Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 160
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.