Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,697 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:43 PM

What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos (26595 Views)

Miss Biggest Bum Bum 2018 Beauty Pageant In Bayelsa (Photos) / Top 10 Worst Beauty Pageant Winners You Want To See / Precious Nwodo Wins Miss Charming Nigeria Beauty Pageant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by AmazingELixir: 10:50am On Oct 17, 2018
undecided

My friend stop being a spiteful misogynist...on one hand you are condemning feminism and on the other you aligning yourself as a male supremacist

5 Likes

Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by opribo(m): 10:51am On Oct 17, 2018
Nature has made it such that a woman needs a man and likewise a man. The role of a woman is clearly defined naturally.

Since nobody can cheat nature, i find it hard to understand this new clamour for feminism. When a woman wants to play the role of a man whatever she sees therein she should not complain.
Yes, they should therefore stop crying that they were raped or beaten by men, they should fight back since they are feminist. Men hardly cry that they were raped by women.

1 Like

Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by BurningBlade: 10:53am On Oct 17, 2018
Eberechi24:
feminism is not gender war. am a feminist because I believe in equal representatio of both genders, this do not interfere with gender roles.
A man who wants the best for his daughter is a feminist.
Feminist movement come into play when girls are deprived of rights in society. when girls are relegated to kitchen and lack of exposure. When girls are made to believe that they have nothing to offer to society. Feminism is female liberation from inferiority complex
Feminism has nothing to with relationship or gender war. both genders needs each other.

my question to you is: who relegate girls/women to the kitchen and who make girls believe they have nothing to offer in society?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by kerry57: 10:55am On Oct 17, 2018
Na this feminist thing go swallow most of una. This is Afirica for God sake.
Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by Patrinus: 10:55am On Oct 17, 2018
LifestyleTonite:
Recently, I was at a beauty pageant audition in Lagos which saw many good looking girls jostling to make it to the final cut. The girls did their best to impress the judges who really were weeding some of them out not for lack of brains but for lack of 100% beauty. At some point, I got tired because some of the girls whom I thought would get a nod were actually shown the door. They were shown the door simply because their beauty wasn’t as impressive as their brains. Amazingly, those on the reverse case were picked.

Without much Ado, the part that pissed me off the most at the beauty pageant audition was when the judges were asking all the girls if they were feminists. Their questions were designed in such a way that all the girls had to identify with feminism. They first asked them to state how they would empower women when they become a beauty queen. Many of the girls reeled out nice points on how they will ensure women don’t lack anything and are respected in society. Then came the question ”are you a feminist?”.

Some of the girls said they were, but they couldn’t explain what feminism is. Perhaps they just gave the answer to impress the judges so they could move to the next stage of the audition.

Majority of the girls at the beauty pageant audition who gave no as an answered were made to look stupid before the judges. According to the judges, ”how can you not be a feminist when you just spoke of how you will empower women?”. I could see many of them making a U-turn, and all of a sudden they are now feminists. Though it may sound as if they just wanted to impress the judges, the damage is that such girls will go home affiliating with feminism without having a full grasp of its true meaning. I could count close to a hundred and fifty girls at the audition that day, and that was just for Lagos (other regions to follow).

Dumb post! Stopped reading when I got to the bolded bit! So the moment you decide to empower women you automatically become a feminist undecided
Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by Eberechi24(f): 10:56am On Oct 17, 2018
BurningBlade:
my question to you is: who relegate girls/women to the kitchen and who make girls believe they have nothing to offer in society?
The society, then society believe a woman duty starts and ends at home.
who are the society? you and I.

2 Likes

Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by Mulatta(m): 10:56am On Oct 17, 2018
Eberechi24:
feminism is not gender war. am a feminist because I believe in equal representatio of both genders, this do not interfere with gender roles.
Feminist movement come into play when girls are deprived of rights in society. when girls are relegated to kitchen and lack of exposure. When girls are made to believe that they have nothing to offer to society. Feminism is female liberation from inferiority complex
Feminism has nothing to with relationship or gender war. both genders needs each other.

Come I will flog you oh, which man doesn't want the best for his daughter or son. It's called performing his duties not feminism.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by King44(m): 10:58am On Oct 17, 2018
I totally agree, must a woman be a feminist to empower women or touch lives? I think they are trying to groom a new kind of women who would be biased toward humanity n they are always they would be the first to complain when men starts paying them in their own coin
Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by Chineke1stSon: 10:59am On Oct 17, 2018
Eberechi24:
Feminist movement come into play when girls are deprived of rights in society. when girls are relegated to kitchen and lack of exposure. When girls are made to believe that they have nothing to offer to society.

Funny..because here in eastern Nigeria more girls are in school than boys statistically speaking..I will never agree to the idea of gender equality..because it is a confusing term that goes against nature itself...gender equity on the other hand is the right term and ideology..equity means making provisions for those who are culturally, physically or financially disadvantaged to have a say and input in the society...this means a woman who wishes to serve and protect her father land can serve in the army in her own capacity..even though she might be physically/anatomically different or not as strong as the male soldiers in the battlefield she can still contribute her quota in intelligence gathering and the likes...now that is equity..

4 Likes

Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by akinszz: 10:59am On Oct 17, 2018
dsocioemmy:
Feminists that are fighting for equality but avoids equal responsibility
those ones are fake feminists grin grin grin
Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by Eberechi24(f): 11:00am On Oct 17, 2018
Mulatta:

Come I will flog you oh, which man doesn't want the best for his daughter or son. It's called performing his duties not feminism.
Lol, you said this because we are have accepted the true feminism.
old days females are not allowed to go to school because it's believed that they will end up in kitchen, parents don't see the need to "waste" their money on them

2 Likes

Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by BurningBlade: 11:06am On Oct 17, 2018
Eberechi24:

The society, then society believe a woman duty starts and ends at home.
who are the society? you and I.
not really. The society might expect such, but the onus rest with us to change society's expectation about our roles.

A girl child who was sent to hawk on the road side without going to school, should society be blamed or her parents?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by Chineke1stSon: 11:07am On Oct 17, 2018
Eberechi24:

old days females are not allowed to go to school because it's believed that they will end up in kitchen, parents don't see the need to "waste" their money on them
How come my mum who was born in the 50s went to school and her elder brother didn't? He had to drop so that his little sis can further her education..how come my dad's sisters all went to universities? Okonjo iweala and Dora nkọ? These women were all born 50 years ago! So when has the female child ever been subjugated not to go school? Are you referring to an age that even my grandfather wasn't even born?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by Eberechi24(f): 11:07am On Oct 17, 2018
Chineke1stSon:

Funny..because here in eastern Nigeria more girls are in school than boys statistically speaking..I will never agree to the idea of gender equality..because it is a confusing term that goes against nature itself...gender equity on the other hand is the right term and ideology..equity means making provisions for those who are culturally, physically or financially disadvantaged to have a say and input in the society...this means a woman who wishes to serve and protect her father land can serve in the army in her own capacity..even though she might be physically/anatomically different or not as strong as the male soldiers in the battlefield she can still contribute her quota in intelligence gathering and the likes...now that is equity..
am talking about feminism and not gender equality. we are saying the same thing

"this means a woman who wishes to serve and protect her father land can serve in the army in her own capacity..even though she might be physically/anatomically different or not as strong as the male soldiers in the battlefield she can still contribute her quota in intelligence gathering and the likes...now that is equity."

Feminism is not gender war. It's about compromise and accepting the both genders to create impact in society

1 Like

Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by Eberechi24(f): 11:12am On Oct 17, 2018
Chineke1stSon:

How come my mum who was born in the 50s went to school and her elder brother didn't? He had to drop so that his little sis can further her education..how come my dad's sisters all went to universities? Okonjo iweala and Dora nkọ? These women were all born 50 years ago! So when has the female child ever been subjugated not to go school? Are you referring to an age that even my grandfather wasn't even born?
Feminism is a thing of ages, it didn't start today. stop twisting it
Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by Chineke1stSon: 11:14am On Oct 17, 2018
Eberechi24:

am talking about feminism and not gender equality. we are saying the same thing

"this means a woman who wishes to serve and protect her father land can serve in the army in her own capacity..even though she might be physically/anatomically different or not as strong as the male soldiers in the battlefield she can still contribute her quota in intelligence gathering and the likes...now that is equity."

Feminism is not gender war. It's about compromise and accepting the both genders to create impact in society
Lol when you bring in the word "compromise" then it is no longer equality buy equity...you can't compromise if two parties are on equal footing in all aspects...you just reiterated my earlier point..gender equality is a farce because the two genders were never equal..nature made them physically and anatomically unequal..equity is what I (and every unbiased person male or female) support.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by Chineke1stSon: 11:17am On Oct 17, 2018
Eberechi24:

My dear you don't even have a full grasp of the discussion here..who gives a shyt about how societies a thousand years ago lived? Unless your culture historically subjugate women..because where I come from women have ALWAYS had a say in the society..a very strong say..

3 Likes

Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by SIRTee15: 11:21am On Oct 17, 2018
I think the feminist war in nigeria is more against chauvinism n misogynist than feminism itself....
The African woman is still far behind with regards to equity and social rights when compared to her contemporaries on other parts of the world...
Economically and sociocultural, Africa is harsh but worse off for women......
Women are easily bullied and threatened in order to ensure their voice are unheard or force them out of the way....
Unfortunately, there's no system to check this abuse....
Imagine how Dino Melaye emotionally abused Remi Tinubu, yet those utterances received applause from a large segment of men....
A man can kick his wife out the house without a rethink even if the wife contributed towards the buildong of the house...

The present nigerian man do not have the financial capacity to raise a family single handedly....
He wants a woman with a good career or steady source of income to assist him and really there's definitely nothing wrong with that...
However the nigerian man demands absolute submission and almost zombie-like attitude from the same woman who contributes equally if not more towards the upkeep of the family....
I'm a man but I think it's high time we begin to face up to some realities....
Men build civilisation and any present civilisation that doesn't promote gender equity and protection of the vulnerables isn't sustainable.....

3 Likes

Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by King44(m): 11:22am On Oct 17, 2018
BurningBlade:
not really. The society might expect such, but the onus rest with us to change society's expectation about our roles.

A girl child who was sent to hawk on the road side without going to school, should society be blamed or her parents?
don't be too specific both girl and boy children are victims

1 Like

Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by tintingz(m): 11:22am On Oct 17, 2018
dsauce:
Feminism is just a theoretical ideology that is not possible. Even God did not give men and women equal rights in the two holy books.
The two so called Holy book were written by sexist, misogyny desert wandering men.

2 Likes

Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by Eberechi24(f): 11:28am On Oct 17, 2018
BurningBlade:

The society might expect such, but the onus rest with us to change society's expectation about our roles."
Thats why feminism come into play. Feminism is idea to change Societys expectations about our roles.

Then a girl hawking on the street is the parents fault.
Maybe she was sent to hawk because the parents couldn't foot her bills not because the parents are ignorant of child's education and empowerment

1 Like

Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by hustla(m): 11:28am On Oct 17, 2018
GOFRONT:
shocked

After corruption, na hypocrisy be our second wahala

Btw, If a corrupt beauty pageant judge sleeps with ten girls in a bid to help them secure the beauty crown, in the end , which of the girls will he crown??

The one wey Sabi do pass grin
Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by hustla(m): 11:28am On Oct 17, 2018
tintingz:
The two so called Holy book were written by sexist, mysogyny desert wandering men.

Eleyi ti ya were
Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by King44(m): 11:33am On Oct 17, 2018
feminism reason why so many men of African descent kill their wives because they threatened to take their place n take over their lives n the law backs it up putting the men at disadvantage such can't happen Here cos it would leas to blood bath. but I believe women can be among the movers and shakers in the society without trying to take up the role of men in the name of gender equality
Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by Gerrard59(m): 11:34am On Oct 17, 2018
LifestyleTonite:
Recently, I was at a beauty pageant audition in Lagos which saw many good looking girls jostling to make it to the final cut. The girls did their best to impress the judges who really were weeding some of them out not for lack of brains but for lack of 100% beauty. At some point, I got tired because some of the girls whom I thought would get a nod were actually shown the door. They were shown the door simply because their beauty wasn’t as impressive as their brains. Amazingly, those on the reverse case were picked.

Without much Ado, the part that pissed me off the most at the beauty pageant audition was when the judges were asking all the girls if they were feminists. Their questions were designed in such a way that all the girls had to identify with feminism. They first asked them to state how they would empower women when they become a beauty queen. Many of the girls reeled out nice points on how they will ensure women don’t lack anything and are respected in society. Then came the question ”are you a feminist?”.

Some of the girls said they were, but they couldn’t explain what feminism is. Perhaps they just gave the answer to impress the judges so they could move to the next stage of the audition.

Majority of the girls at the beauty pageant audition who gave no as an answered were made to look stupid before the judges. According to the judges, ”how can you not be a feminist when you just spoke of how you will empower women?”. I could see many of them making a U-turn, and all of a sudden they are now feminists. Though it may sound as if they just wanted to impress the judges, the damage is that such girls will go home affiliating with feminism without having a full grasp of its true meaning. I could count close to a hundred and fifty girls at the audition that day, and that was just for Lagos (other regions to follow).

https://www.wotzup.ng/2018/10/noticed-beauty-pageant-audition-lagos/

Well, the judges are right. You cannot support the rights of women without being a feminist (at least practically). This is assuming the meaning of feminism was according to first wave feminists not the misandrists (third and fourth wave) we've around. grin

1 Like

Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by Eberechi24(f): 11:35am On Oct 17, 2018
Chineke1stSon:

Lol when you bring in the word "compromise" then it is no longer equality buy equity...you can't compromise if two parties are on equal footing in all aspects...you just reiterated my earlier point..gender equality is a farce because the two genders were never equal..nature made them physically and anatomically unequal..equity is what I (and every unbiased person male or female) support.
lol, detach emotions from your viewpoints. you will understand we are on same page.

equity is aim of feminism.

2 Likes

Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 11:37am On Oct 17, 2018
Eberechi24:

It's not feminism that got Iweala and Dora to school.
Their parents didn't train them to be equal to men but contribute positively to their community as who they are and not as men

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by Mulatta(m): 11:37am On Oct 17, 2018
Eberechi24:

That's in the old days. but there are some annoying girls that use feminism as an excuse, God I usually feel like knocking them

1 Like

Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by Slimmacho: 11:40am On Oct 17, 2018
einsteine:
Nothing wrong in the beauty pageant operators insisting contestants must be feminists. Their house, their rules. I am sure it was stated somewhere in the advert for the competition. Also, nothing wrong in feminists trying to get more women to be feminist. The free market would decide for each of these women whether being a feminist is a good thing. What is good for Chimamanda may not be good for Nkechi. So each person decides what to believe and what to do and at the end of the day, the market would decide if they are right.

Yes, [color=#990000][/color]
BEAUTY PAGEANT OPERATORS
grin
Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by doggedfighter(f): 11:40am On Oct 17, 2018
Alexreports, were you at this audition? What 's your take on this?
Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by Eberechi24(f): 11:40am On Oct 17, 2018
InyinyaAgbaOku:

It's not feminism that got Iweala and Dora to school.
Their parents didn't train them to be equal to men but contribute positively to their community as who they are and not as men
Lol, thaat's feminism in play. ignore all the social media banter about feminism. feminism is not gender war.

1 Like

Re: What I Noticed At A Beauty Pageant Audition In Lagos by enonche85(m): 11:41am On Oct 17, 2018
dsauce:
Feminism is just a theoretical ideology that is not possible. Even God did not give men and women equal rights in the two holy books.

God even said the woman should be a helper, a support to the man.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dethroned Grace Okoro Adaeze Reacts, Tells Her Side Of The Story! / How To Remove Stretch Marks / Imelda James Wins Miss Health Beauty Pageant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.