Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,075 members, 7,838,717 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 08:15 AM

Should I Quit My Job And Start Farming Tomatoes? Advice Please - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Should I Quit My Job And Start Farming Tomatoes? Advice Please (17473 Views)

Do You Know Any Village In Ondo State That i can Go To Start Farming / Why You Should Start Farming Tilapia Now (pictures) / Start Farming On 3 Plots Of Land For As Low As #10,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Quit My Job And Start Farming Tomatoes? Advice Please by frehage: 4:30pm On Oct 22, 2018
stagger:

A lot of people send me such messages daily (even today) and I usually have one reply for all of them: KNOWLEDGE COSTS MONEY TO ACQUIRE.

You can get information in two ways.

a) You can PAY MONEY to someone to provide you with the information or knowledge you seek.
b) You can INVEST MONEY into your own mission by spending time on the internet to search for the answers you seek.

Both routes cost money. Personally, I have since stopped providing information because it was grossly abused when I first did it (and for FREE too).

So I usually ask people to invest in their own mission by spending time and money in their own mission. I know someone who went from a complete novice (read a social science course in university) to becoming a programmer within one year of YouTube tutorials, spending minimum of 50GB data monthly on downloaded video tutorials. Last I heard, he rakes in close to $5,000 a month.

So it is a choice of being spoonfed, or you actively buy scrap metal, spend time and effort to carve out your own spoon and feed yourself. I chose to carve my own spoon and today, I am neither moved by minimum wage or recession or any of Nigeria's economic problems.

A little piece of information may not hurt. But thanks all the same.
Re: Should I Quit My Job And Start Farming Tomatoes? Advice Please by M3A16(m): 4:39pm On Oct 22, 2018
Sir, I will advise you as an engineer, when any system is made or overhauled, the efficiency of the machine/system will be put to test like atleast two to three times or more depending on the complexity of the system then after, such a system can be certified fit for use.. It means the result of the system is guaranteed, could be invested in and completely safe to use and the rest like that...

I will implore you to make use of the analysis above and it will help.... Do not just mind me oooo but what I analysed up here.

Good luck brother.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job And Start Farming Tomatoes? Advice Please by crunchyg: 4:52pm On Oct 22, 2018
lorhema:

I agree. Wholeheartedly.
Thank you sister mi
Re: Should I Quit My Job And Start Farming Tomatoes? Advice Please by frozen70(f): 7:30pm On Oct 22, 2018
Benyfil:

I took my time to read up all the comments.

Though I can't reply to every comment at this time cos I am at work. I can't thank you all enough for taking the time to give your thoughts and advice. These had made me to look at the entire situation from another angle I never thought of.

God Bless you all.

Thanks
Re: Should I Quit My Job And Start Farming Tomatoes? Advice Please by Partnerbiz(f): 1:50pm On Oct 23, 2018
grpCaptain:
A lot of people advise that you stay in your job but came short of why you should.

From your story, you will need to ask yourself some few questions.

Have you developed the requisite discipline to manage a business on your own? If you have not manage your current work and finances very well, don't think you will wake up one day and magically do it. You will be in for a pleasant surprise.

Do you have the necessary cushion to absorb any shock in case of a disaster to your farms?
The disaster could be flood, fulani herdmen lunching on your tomatos and theft among many things that can rear it's head.

Have you prepared for the test you will get from your wife? Women are different, but trust me they share some common traits. One of this trait is to test their man ability to sustain a family. The moment she knows you are out of job, expect a lot of demand that will make you think "Why are all these demands coming now that I am out of work". Trust me, she will test your limit. Are you ready?

If disaster hit the family, you will be on your own. If you are working, at least you are able to fall back to someone for help in loans or something. No one will like to borrow you anything if all you have is your new business that could go bunk anytime, but if they know you work and earn 10K Naira monthly, they can have something to hold on to.

There is time for standing on your own, for now work and pay your dues and all your labour will never be in vain. Patience.

Making demands to test limits now he is out of job?

Isn't that preposterous?
Re: Should I Quit My Job And Start Farming Tomatoes? Advice Please by Partnerbiz(f): 2:25pm On Oct 23, 2018
Engrduke:
Farming has been my secondary job for more than two decades, so I can say a little.
Remain in your job and steadily expand your farm.
Three hectares of land is not enough for a family to depend on.
l guess someone rent out the farmland to you. If so, he can wake up tomorrow and tell you to vacate the land citing cogent reasons.
That meagre salary you are earning is decisive for now to sustain your small farm.
Thereafter, you can steadily expand the farm size and turn in your resignation letter.
At inception, three hectares of farm cannot sustain your family.
Farming is a kind of business in which the producer dictates nothing when it comes sales,especially in crop production.
Let me cite instances for your perusal. In 2017, from about 30 acres of cassava, I made a profit of #5.6 million. This year 2018, it was zero profit or even a loss. Thanks to my regular monthly salary, otherwise ........
Hopefully, next year 2019, the proceed from the farm may double that of 2017.
All the best.
Zero profit?

What happened sir

Could you share?
Re: Should I Quit My Job And Start Farming Tomatoes? Advice Please by DEBJOCH1(m): 9:18pm On Oct 23, 2018
I AM CURRENTLY IN SIMILAR SITUATION WITH YOU, MY CURRENT INCOME IS 58K AFTER ALL SETTLEMENTS, SOME TIMES IN A MONTH I WILL BE LEFT WITH 10K TO LIVE ON TO ANOTHER MONTH, I HAVE THOUGHT OF QUITTING SEVERALLY AND ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS I HAVE TOLD SOME PEOPLE I WONT CONTINUE WITH THE JOB. WIFE IS STILL RUNNING HER BSC BUT ROUNDING UP THIS YEAR. THE FUNNY PART I WORK AND EARN THIS MISERABLE SALARY IN LAGOS. BUT THIS IS JUST HOW I HAVE PLANED MY EXIT. I CURRENTLY HAVE A PROJECT I AM WORKING ON, I HAVE VOWED TO TAKE THE PROJECT TO LINTEL LEVEL BEFORE THE END OF THIS YEAR BY THE GRACE OF GOD, THEN GIVE MY SELF ANOTHER TARGET OF 8 MONTHS STARTING FROM JANUARY NEXT YEAR. INSTEAD OF GOING TO PLANT TOMATOES, MY PLAN WILL RATHER BE TO GO TO NORTHERN STATES, BUY AND BRING THEM TO MILE 12, I HAVE ALREADY NEGOTIATED WITH A REGISTERED TOMATOES SUPPLIER AT MILE 12 MARKET WHO I WILL BE GOING WITH. NOW THAT YOU HAVE THE JOB, YOU CAN EASILY GET LOAN FROM PEOPLE, BUT I BET YOU, ONCE YOU DROP YOUR PEN NOW, AND GOD FORBID YOU COME BACK ASKING YOUR BEST FRIEND TO LEND YOU SOME MONEY, I ASSURE YOU THAT THERE IS NO AMOUNT OF PREACHING YOU WILL TELL HIM THAT YOU HAVE A SIDE BUSINESS WHERE YOU CAN GENERATE BACK THE MONEY AND BRING TO HIM AT THE END OF THE MONTH THAT WILL MAKE HIM LISTEN TO YOU, AS FAR AS YOU ARE CONCERN WHEN EVER YOU CALL ON ANY OF YOUR FORMER COLLEAGUES TO ASK FOR MONEY, THEY WILL ALWAYS SEE YOU AS A PARASITE. YOUR PLAN IS GOOD, BUT MAKE SURE YOU PLAN WELL BEFORE YOU JUMP OUT. I ALSO HAVE ABOUT 4 PLOTS OF CASAVA FARM AND A SMALL SIDE BUSINESS, BUT THE FEAR AND THE QUESTION I KEEP ASKING IS THIS, WILL THIS THINGS SUSTAIN THE EVERY DAY DEMAND OF MY FAMILY PENDING WHEN THE NEW BUSINESS WILL PICK UP?. BROTHER, BEING INDEPENDENT IS THE BEST.
Re: Should I Quit My Job And Start Farming Tomatoes? Advice Please by Gospel367: 6:37am On Oct 26, 2018
ajayiopy:
I EARN OVER 250K IN A MONTHS AND HAVE MY SIDE RUNS TOO. INFACT MY SIDE RUNS DEY GIVE ME TWICE OF MY SALARY SOMETIMES.BUT I STILL DEY JOB. JUST BE CALM,DO YOUR FARM AND YOUR WORK SAME TIME
Bro, abeg teach me . I have 200k lying down in my safe and I don't know what to do with it. I have been doing research for months on biz to do with it and still yet confused. Please, any feasible business idea you can advice me to go into? Pls, i reside in Lagos for now....
Re: Should I Quit My Job And Start Farming Tomatoes? Advice Please by Gospel367: 6:42am On Oct 26, 2018
Engrduke:
Farming has been my secondary job for more than two decades, so I can say a little.
Remain in your job and steadily expand your farm.
Three hectares of land is not enough for a family to depend on.
l guess someone rent out the farmland to you. If so, he can wake up tomorrow and tell you to vacate the land citing cogent reasons.
That meagre salary you are earning is decisive for now to sustain your small farm.
Thereafter, you can steadily expand the farm size and turn in your resignation letter.
At inception, three hectares of farm cannot sustain your family.
Farming is a kind of business in which the producer dictates nothing when it comes sales,especially in crop production.
Let me cite instances for your perusal. In 2017, from about 30 acres of cassava, I made a profit of #5.6 million. This year 2018, it was zero profit or even a loss. Thanks to my regular monthly salary, otherwise ........
Hopefully, next year 2019, the proceed from the farm may double that of 2017.
All the best.
This comment got me afraid. Bro, what changed between 2017 and 2018 that made you go from 5.6 mil to zero profit? Is cassava farming that volatile? Please, I intend going into cassava farming and I need this info. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job And Start Farming Tomatoes? Advice Please by bigiyaro(m): 9:36am On Oct 26, 2018
DEBJOCH1:
I AM CURRENTLY IN SIMILAR SITUATION WITH YOU, MY CURRENT INCOME IS 58K AFTER ALL SETTLEMENTS, SOME TIMES IN A MONTH I WILL BE LEFT WITH 10K TO LIVE ON TO ANOTHER MONTH, I HAVE THOUGHT OF QUITTING SEVERALLY AND ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS I HAVE TOLD SOME PEOPLE I WONT CONTINUE WITH THE JOB. WIFE IS STILL RUNNING HER BSC BUT ROUNDING UP THIS YEAR. THE FUNNY PART I WORK AND EARN THIS MISERABLE SALARY IN LAGOS. BUT THIS IS JUST HOW I HAVE PLANED MY EXIT. I CURRENTLY HAVE A PROJECT I AM WORKING ON, I HAVE VOWED TO TAKE THE PROJECT TO LINTEL LEVEL BEFORE THE END OF THIS YEAR BY THE GRACE OF GOD, THEN GIVE MY SELF ANOTHER TARGET OF 8 MONTHS STARTING FROM JANUARY NEXT YEAR. INSTEAD OF GOING TO PLANT TOMATOES, MY PLAN WILL RATHER BE TO GO TO NORTHERN STATES, BUY AND BRING THEM TO MILE 12, I HAVE ALREADY NEGOTIATED WITH A REGISTERED TOMATOES SUPPLIER AT MILE 12 MARKET WHO I WILL BE GOING WITH. NOW THAT YOU HAVE THE JOB, YOU CAN EASILY GET LOAN FROM PEOPLE, BUT I BET YOU, ONCE YOU DROP YOUR PEN NOW, AND GOD FORBID YOU COME BACK ASKING YOUR BEST FRIEND TO LEND YOU SOME MONEY, I ASSURE YOU THAT THERE IS NO AMOUNT OF PREACHING YOU WILL TELL HIM THAT YOU HAVE A SIDE BUSINESS WHERE YOU CAN GENERATE BACK THE MONEY AND BRING TO HIM AT THE END OF THE MONTH THAT WILL MAKE HIM LISTEN TO YOU, AS FAR AS YOU ARE CONCERN WHEN EVER YOU CALL ON ANY OF YOUR FORMER COLLEAGUES TO ASK FOR MONEY, THEY WILL ALWAYS SEE YOU AS A PARASITE. YOUR PLAN IS GOOD, BUT MAKE SURE YOU PLAN WELL BEFORE YOU JUMP OUT. I ALSO HAVE ABOUT 4 PLOTS OF CASAVA FARM AND A SMALL SIDE BUSINESS, BUT THE FEAR AND THE QUESTION I KEEP ASKING IS THIS, WILL THIS THINGS SUSTAIN THE EVERY DAY DEMAND OF MY FAMILY PENDING WHEN THE NEW BUSINESS WILL PICK UP?. BROTHER, BEING INDEPENDENT IS THE BEST.
pls can i have ur contact?
Re: Should I Quit My Job And Start Farming Tomatoes? Advice Please by Oluhills007: 6:19am On Oct 27, 2018
grpCaptain:
A lot of people advise that you stay in your job but came short of why you should.

From your story, you will need to ask yourself some few questions.

Have you developed the requisite discipline to manage a business on your own? If you have not manage your current work and finances very well, don't think you will wake up one day and magically do it. You will be in for a pleasant surprise.

Do you have the necessary cushion to absorb any shock in case of a disaster to your farms?
The disaster could be flood, fulani herdmen lunching on your tomatos and theft among many things that can rear it's head.

Have you prepared for the test you will get from your wife? Women are different, but trust me they share some common traits. One of this trait is to test their man ability to sustain a family. The moment she knows you are out of job, expect a lot of demand that will make you think "Why are all these demands coming now that I am out of work". Trust me, she will test your limit. Are you ready?

If disaster hit the family, you will be on your own. If you are working, at least you are able to fall back to someone for help in loans or something. No one will like to borrow you anything if all you have is your new business that could go bunk anytime, but if they know you work and earn 10K Naira monthly, they can have something to hold on to.

There is time for standing on your own, for now work and pay your dues and all your labour will never be in vain. Patience.

Benyfil this is the most dangerous advice I have seen on this forum...when you gave a detailed explanation of how you spend your salary with no hope of savings and always having to borrow when you want to do something major.... I even wondered why you are still waiting..

. Pls disregard this advice telling you to have patience...patience for 10 years? You will just end up wasting the fruitful and youthful part of your life on that underpaying job... you have been working on that job for 10 years ... The right time for you is now Pls just get out of the job immediately .. That advice is only telling you to play it safe... If you don't launch out in the deep you may never have your big break..(we will all have our big break in Jesus name). You will just be managing.. Pls don't manage

However you need skills about the business, get skills and also you have to be strategic.. Draw a map plan of how you want to run the business ... Don't just go about planting potatoes and selling it like the other farmers you have to be strategic about who you want to deliver it to...e.t.c in fact read about economics, study and research well about the business... Before you start but pls ...in 6 months time I want to see the pictures of your farm.. However if it is possible, maintain your job and the farm....

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit My Job And Start Farming Tomatoes? Advice Please by Gospel367: 8:55am On Oct 27, 2018
But bro, 10 years for that kind job? If I was you, I would have save some money, even within my first five years there and then start any business of my own even if na restaurant business or agriproducts buying and selling. I can't even work in one place for more than 2 years with that kind of pay....mind you, agriculture is not the only thing u can do. As I am here like this, I see myself as someone suffering but I have u to 30k to 40k every as left over after monthly expenses. I am not even up to one year in the job but yet, I still want to quit and start a business with 200k I have saved so far. I am 24 and have wasted many years already doing useless jobs which I all regret.
Re: Should I Quit My Job And Start Farming Tomatoes? Advice Please by Engrduke: 5:03pm On Oct 27, 2018
Gospel367:

This comment got me afraid. Bro, what changed between 2017 and 2018 that made you go from 5.6 mil to zero profit? Is cassava farming that volatile? Please, I intend going into cassava farming and I need this info. Thank you

What changed between 2017 and 2018 that prompted the uninspiring turnover from cassava farming you asked?
You would have noticed that part of my write up where I said that the farmer has little or nothing to say as far as sales of his produce is concerned.
Middlemen and market forces dictate his profit or loss majorly, aside weather conditions and managerial expertise.
I had enough and timely rainfall, planting was properly done, stem sprouting was excellent (about 90%), pre-emergent chemicals were timely and adequately applied, periodic manual weeding was timely and properly done and above all the yield was awesome. The aforementioned are the indices that can make or mar the success of farming but fortunately they were all 95% in my favour in the year under review.
Now you are curious: What led to the zero profit turnover at the end of the exercise?
Market forces and middlemen.
Market forces: It appeared that the supply far outweighed the local demand, and thus, price fell drastically. A pickup truck was fetching me between #160,000 and #180,000 in April 2017. But in 2018, the same pickup truck load is yielding between #20,000 and #25,000. This selling price wasn't enough to offset the farming expenses.
To worsen the situation, the market men and women started taking advantage of the pathetic situation. When they were to remit the meagre money realized, you started hearing stories.
Hope I have cleared your curiosity about how the zero profit emanated.
As a seasoned farmer, quitting is never contemplated. The same truck load that was fetching #20,000 may fetch over #100,000 next year because so many farmers might be discouraged and the supply consequently cut short. It has always been like that.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job And Start Farming Tomatoes? Advice Please by Engrduke: 5:09pm On Oct 27, 2018
Partnerbiz:

Zero profit?

What happened sir

Could you share?

What changed between 2017 and 2018 that prompted the uninspiring turnover from cassava farming you asked?
You would have noticed that part of my write up where I said that the farmer has little or nothing to say as far as sales of his produce is concerned.
Middlemen and market forces dictate his profit or loss majorly, aside weather conditions and managerial expertise.
I had enough and timely rainfall, planting was properly done, stem sprouting was excellent (about 90%), pre-emergent chemicals were timely and adequately applied, periodic manual weeding was timely and properly done and above all the yield was awesome. The aforementioned are the indices that can make or mar the success of farming but fortunately they were all 95% in my favour in the year under review.
Now you are curious: What led to the zero profit turnover at the end of the exercise?
Market forces: It appeared that the supply far outweighed the local demand, and thus, price fell drastically. A pickup truck was fetching me between #160,000 and #180,000 in April 2017. But in 2018, the same pickup truck load is yielding between #20,000 and #25,000. This selling price wasn't enough to offset the farming expenses.
To worsen the situation, the market men and women started taking advantage of the pathetic situation. When they were to remit the meagre money realized, you started hearing stories.
As a seasoned farmer, quitting is never contemplated. The same truck load that was fetching #20,000 may fetch over #100,000 next year because so many farmers might be discouraged and the supply consequently cut short. It has always been like that.
Re: Should I Quit My Job And Start Farming Tomatoes? Advice Please by Partnerbiz(f): 6:32pm On Oct 27, 2018
Engrduke:

Lucid.
Thanks Engr.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job And Start Farming Tomatoes? Advice Please by Gospel367: 12:36am On Oct 28, 2018
Engrduke:

Thank u bro. But what if I try to eliminate middle men by processing my harvested cassava into Garri? And also what do u think of the business plan where I can go to farms like yours, buy raw cassavas and then go to the processors ( grinding mill) to convert it to garri. Then after, I can take it to Lagos for sale.... Is that plan feasible or advisable? Atlesst I think middle men is eliminated here

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job And Start Farming Tomatoes? Advice Please by Kirinwa: 7:12am On Oct 31, 2018
Benyfil:
Greetings Nairalanders

I will go straight to my point.

My salary is 59k and after monthly deductions (loans) I get N39k and it remains just a month to finish paying up my loans and I go back to receiving 59k. I have a wife and 2 kids (5years and 2 years).

I already have 3 hectares of cassava and another 1 hectare which I intend planting tomatoes. Most things have been put in place for the tomatoes after going through a lot of threads and other peoples experience on tomatoes farming (especially Jethro). I have prepared the land, water is close by, I have made beds for the tomatoes and they have germinated and waiting transplant in 2-3 weeks.

A part of me says, if I leave my paid employment, things might not work out and its better that I continue to received the 59k (fear of the unknown). Another part of me says, to leave the job and channel all efforts towards the tomatoes farming that things would get better gradually. I have already made adequate plans for my family feeding for the next 12months, but I am still scared of quieting the job.

My ultimate question is this:Is tomatoes farming on an hectare of land sustainable?. I know it wont be that easy and it would require hard word. But can it sustain me better than a paid job. Should I quit and face farming?

Looking forward to advice mostly from tomatoes farmers and others as well.
Thank you

You didn't indicate if your wife is working too or a full house wife. If she's a full house wife then don't leave your job. One thing about agriculture is that its a part-time venture. You can use it as another source of income.

Don't quit your job, it can bring frustration and desperation if the tomatoes have issues which is common for first timers.

God bless your hustle brother.
Re: Should I Quit My Job And Start Farming Tomatoes? Advice Please by therealMcCain: 10:07pm On Jan 25, 2019
stagger:

A lot of people send me such messages daily (even today) and I usually have one reply for all of them: KNOWLEDGE COSTS MONEY TO ACQUIRE.

You can get information in two ways.

a) You can PAY MONEY to someone to provide you with the information or knowledge you seek.
b) You can INVEST MONEY into your own mission by spending time on the internet to search for the answers you seek.

Both routes cost money. Personally, I have since stopped providing information because it was grossly abused when I first did it (and for FREE too).

So I usually ask people to invest in their own mission by spending time and money in their own mission. I know someone who went from a complete novice (read a social science course in university) to becoming a programmer within one year of YouTube tutorials, spending minimum of 50GB data monthly on downloaded video tutorials. Last I heard, he rakes in close to $5,000 a month.

So it is a choice of being spoonfed, or you actively buy scrap metal, spend time and effort to carve out your own spoon and feed yourself. I chose to carve my own spoon and today, I am neither moved by minimum wage or recession or any of Nigeria's economic problems.

Hello sir, you're absolutely right but nothing can take the place of guidance.

I want to learn domain flipping. 1 person is charging 15,000 while the other is charging 120,000 both from Nairaland. My conflict is which to go for?

120,000 is too big to throw away if the person turns out to be a scam or offers a bad service. So it's helpful if a known & trusted person can give guidance to say go for Mr A for these reasons or B for these reasons

Folks have been deceived into buying fake ebooks or books that didn't do well on the subject matter or scammed by others who claimed they could show the way.

The man that seeks for direction they say won't miss his way. It's good to learn from the mistakes & struggles of other in other for our growth to be faster. It saves time.

So i am willing to source information both ways you have written but I still need guidance,(pointing me in the right direction) So that my time/money will be well spent.

I have a job but i need to to have streams of income, you are known & trusted. I just need specific freelance skills that will do well in your opinion & trusted places/people who can teach such skills. I know u might be too busy to teach but at least you can offer guidance.

I look forward to your reply. Thanks
Re: Should I Quit My Job And Start Farming Tomatoes? Advice Please by DanasabeZaki: 4:26pm On Aug 30, 2022
Engrduke:

If there was planning for ur casava to be process and storaged, you will have avoided this loss.

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit My Job And Start Farming Tomatoes? Advice Please by Engrduke: 10:44am On Aug 31, 2022
DanasabeZaki:

If there was planning for ur casava to be process and storaged, you will have avoided this loss.

Thanks for your contribution.

Actually, the loss couldn't have been prevented if you were producing in large scale.

I produce in large quantities and venturing into processing/storage would be another businesses entirely. Low scale processing/storage will definitely take months and production of fresh tubers will be affected.
Mind you, I do farming in conjunction with my white collar job.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sanwo-Olu To Establish 250-Hectare Cattle Ranch In Epe / Lagos To Complete Largest Rice Mill In Sub-saharan Africa Early 2019 / Can 750k Be Able To Start Pig Farming ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.