Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,732 members, 7,817,014 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:59 PM

USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread - Travel (105) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread (429455 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) ... (259) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by Study4life: 6:13pm On Jan 02, 2020
Glorioussugar:

I don’t even know what we should do now. I’m so devastated

If I tell you how devastated I am since I saw read your post you wouldn't believe.
For him to have printed the letter and kept it on the table waiting for you to appear before him. without asking you any evidences. It most likely points toward your 2013 form your ex filled for you. Because this is k1 visa, probably he assumed you are already married based on the form you submitted in 2013.

1 Like

Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by sharpman1(m): 6:29pm On Jan 02, 2020
Study4life:

@Glorioussigar
I'm so sorry about that
I think the issue was the fact that you were living together with OJO ( is called a common-law marriage).

In a common-law marriage, the two people involved are living together as if they were husband and wife. But there is no marriage certificate or religious ceremony involved.

Is a recognized type of marriage in western world
That's why he kept on asking you about OJO
And secondly, it might be that Ojo filled that both of you were married in 2013, And there was no any evidence to proof otherwise.

Usually, when the DS160 form is filled, if the applicant fills married, divorced or widowed, the system will usually ask for the name and details of the spouse(or ex spouse). I guess that's how the name of the ex came up....otherwise there would be no link to the ex at all and the CO would not be asking about specific names.

So, in the eye of the CO, she is either currently married as filled on the past application and no evidence to show otherwise (so not eligible for the K1) or someone lied on a visa application form because it might prove ties to Nigeria and hence gain some advantage (which also means not eligible to get a visa because of a lie and a possible ban). Either way, the situation is complicated and a lot of people have been stuck at this very point. Unfortunately, it is common in our environment.

Glorioussugar:

I would have suggested you get married and file for spousal but this situation will always come up until it is sorted.

At this point, i believe the case is complicated so you should tell your fiance to get an immigration lawyer who understands the system to advice on the next course of action.

1 Like

Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by Beautyaddy: 7:08pm On Jan 02, 2020
Glorioussugar:

Hmmmm....very unfortunate this happened to you.

BTW, do you and your ex-boyfriend have kids together?

Glorioussugar:
My visa was denied today. I really don’t know why. But before the co called my name, he was going through my documents, and then printed the refusal paper and kept on his table before he called me. He just asked me who petitioned for me, where does he work, has he been married before, have I been married before? He then asked if he has come back to Nigeria since the last time he visited.( my fiancé is not a Nigerian. He came to Nigeria once for the first time to see me, and he stayed for 8 days. ) I told him I went to his country when his mum passed. And I stayed with them for 2 weeks. He then ask what I do for a living. And asked me what kind of work I’ll like to do in America. I told him my main aim of going is to get married. He asked if I don’t want to do any work when I get there. I told him I want to get married. Asked me how I met my fiancé, and then he looked at my past application in 2013 and asked who’s Ojo? I told he was my ex he asked if I was married to him, I said no, but we lived together. I’ve never been married. Asked when I met my fiancé and when he came to Nigeria. Didn’t ask for any evidence. And then issued me the letter he printed out earlier on.

And your response with the highlighted statement...I hope it didn't also count against you.

1 Like

Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by LegitBachelor: 7:15pm On Jan 02, 2020
SmartKitty:

Any Nigerian who values his/her fiance(e) is proud of the marriage and wants to have a Nigerian wedding in front of the family and friends. It's a Nigerian tradition and respect to fiance(e) and family.
That's your view. They can have the "Nigerian wedding" in the States. I've attended several "Nigerian weddings" here in the United States and the full tradition was observed during the wedding. So you are not making any sense there.

2 Likes

Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by sharpman1(m): 7:17pm On Jan 02, 2020
Beautyaddy:

And your response with the highlighted statement...I hope it didn't also count against you.

She could have answered that question better but the response was certainly not a deciding factor.
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by LegitBachelor: 7:18pm On Jan 02, 2020
Innobeem:
tell them it’s the best and quickest way for the both of u to be together compare to marrying in nigeria
If that's the truth. Then that's fine. But if not, the CO can find out. Nowadays the timeline for getting USCIS approval for both Fiancee and Spousal Petition is similar, so that excuse may not fly for some COs.....especially if he or she feels you are not sincere.

1 Like

Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by sharpman1(m): 7:19pm On Jan 02, 2020
LegitBachelor:
That's your view. They can have the "Nigerian wedding" in the States. I've attended several "Nigerian weddings" here in the United States and the full tradition was observed during the wedding. So you are not making any sense there.

Happy new year legit.

Abeg ignore that guy.....that user name is a troll looking for attention.

2 Likes

Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by LegitBachelor: 7:19pm On Jan 02, 2020
sharpman1:
So.....i got a Christmas / New Year gift yesterday.

My EAD (work authorization) and AP (travel authorization) was approved yesterday (Dev 27, 2019).

See attached timeline.....took roughly 3 months and 10 days. Holiday has finished, time to start the hustle.....
Congrats. So now the hustle begins...lol.
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by LegitBachelor: 7:22pm On Jan 02, 2020
kunlelikeme:
I will like to appreciate everyone on here who helped me and to those who shared their experiences.My visa was approved two weeks ago and I just collected my passport today and the package.
I applied from Germany so cases might be different with the ones in naija.
Congrats bro. Welcome to the States
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by dicksonadams(m): 7:24pm On Jan 02, 2020
LegitBachelor:
Congrats bro. Welcome to the States

Hello boss please I sent you an email for advice, kindly reply

Adamsdickson85@gmail.com
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by LegitBachelor: 7:25pm On Jan 02, 2020
sharpman1:

Happy new year legit.

Abeg ignore that guy.....that user name is a troll looking for attention.
Happy New Year Oga Sharpman1. 2020 is the year of many achievements. God is in charge.
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by Glorioussugar: 7:33pm On Jan 02, 2020
Beautyaddy:

Hmmmm....very unfortunate this happened to you.

I don’t have any kids with anyone my dear. He asked what kind of work I’m going to do in America. I told him I’m gettimg married first when I get to America
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by LegitBachelor: 7:34pm On Jan 02, 2020
@Glorioussugar

So sorry for the denial. Did you get the spinsterhood certificate? And did your fiance submit it in the initial petition to USCIS? Also did you guys submit the Letter of Intent to Marry in the original Petition to USCIS?

Beautyaddy:

This is also a very important question.

Beautyaddy:
Yeah that response is strange. It suggests you either just want to get married to get papers OR you truthfully just want to be a housewife in the US. The latter maybe difficult to believe but if that's the truth then it's fine.
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by Glorioussugar: 8:08pm On Jan 02, 2020
LegitBachelor:
@Glorioussugar

So sorry for the denial. Did you get the spinsterhood certificate? And did your fiance submit it in the initial petition to USCIS? Also did you guys submit the Letter of Intent to Marry in the original Petition to USCIS?

This is also a very important question.

Yeah that response is strange. It suggests you either just want to get married to get papers OR you truthfully just want to be a housewife in the US. The latter maybe difficult to believe but if that's the truth then it's fine.

I don’t have kids with anyone. I got the spinsterhood certificate. He didn’t ask for anything. We also submitted the letter on intent to marry
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by Beautyaddy: 8:27pm On Jan 02, 2020
Glorioussugar:

I don’t have kids with anyone. I got the spinsterhood certificate. He didn’t ask for anything. We also submitted the letter on intent to marry

Hmmm...so I think that at this point it looks like your US citizen fiancé might need to get the help of an immigration lawyer in the US to intervene with this complicated case.

1 Like

Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by sharpman1(m): 8:33pm On Jan 02, 2020
Glorioussugar:

Those guys are looking for any reason to deny. Any small excuse or doubt, they capitalize.

A friend was denied in December. Everything seemed perfect and the only reason we could fathom was because they only had one physical meeting because the CO said he was not convinced the relationship is bonafide.
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by Beautyaddy: 8:39pm On Jan 02, 2020
sharpman1:

Those guys are looking for any reason to deny. Any small excuse or doubt, they capitalize.

A friend was denied in December. Everything seemed perfect and the only reason we could fathom was because they only had one physical meeting because the CO said he was not convinced the relationship is bonafide.

Did your friend try to re-appeal?
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by sharpman1(m): 8:51pm On Jan 02, 2020
Beautyaddy:

Did your friend try to re-appeal?

Nope. He's doing spousal.

They met though a mutual friend (that attends his church) on facebook. Dated long distance for about 2 years. She visited once after about 1.5 years into the relationship and they filed for K1 immediately after. No prior marriage on both sides, no kids, both single and legally free to marry, lots of pictures. She visited for about 2 weeks, everything seemed normal to me.

1 Like

Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by Beautyaddy: 8:59pm On Jan 02, 2020
sharpman1:

They met though a mutual friend (that attends his church) on facebook. Dated long distance for about 2 years. She visited once after about 1.5 years into the relationship and they filed for K1 immediately after. No prior marriage on both sides, no kids, both single and legally free to marry, lots of pictures. She visited for about 2 weeks, everything seemed normal to me.

okay...so may be this time around the spousal visa route might end up giving him a better chance to be approved.
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by sharpman1(m): 9:04pm On Jan 02, 2020
Beautyaddy:

okay...so may be this time around the spousal visa route might end up giving him a better chance to be approved.

Absolutely........and the spousal visa can be easily appealed.
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by Study4life: 9:04pm On Jan 02, 2020
sharpman1:

@ Sharpman , I was told that ONE VISIT is among the RED FLAGS.
OTHER RED FLAGS ARE (1) Large age difference(2) No common language (3) Short acquaintance

2 Likes

Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by sharpman1(m): 9:07pm On Jan 02, 2020
Study4life:

OTHER RED FLAGS ARE (1) Large age difference(2) No common language (3) Short acquaintance

I think i have to agree.
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by Drenimarcus(m): 9:09pm On Jan 02, 2020
Happy new year to everyone. So sorry about your denial glorioussugar.

In my honest opinion, you should probably contact your ex boyfriend to know what he filled in your previous ds-160, because in the eyes of the embassy you are in-eligible(even if you go through the spousal route).

Talk to your fiancée, you guys might need an immigration lawyer at this moment. Please don’t rush, ask questions and make sure your case is solid before you guys file CR-1. Gods speed to you.

May this new year bring good tidings in all our endeavors, amen.
Sight you Oga sharpman01, legitbachelor, mekusa10, study4life and others

3 Likes

Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by frypuffpuff(m): 9:14pm On Jan 02, 2020
Glorioussugar:
My visa was denied today. I really don’t know why. But before the co called my name, he was going through my documents, and then printed the refusal paper and kept on his table before he called me. He just asked me who petitioned for me, where does he work, has he been married before, have I been married before? He then asked if he has come back to Nigeria since the last time he visited.( my fiancé is not a Nigerian. He came to Nigeria once for the first time to see me, and he stayed for 8 days. ) I told him I went to his country when his mum passed. And I stayed with them for 2 weeks. He then ask what I do for a living. And asked me what kind of work I’ll like to do in America. I told him my main aim of going is to get married. He asked if I don’t want to do any work when I get there. I told him I want to get married. Asked me how I met my fiancé, and then he looked at my past application in 2013 and asked who’s Ojo? I told he was my ex he asked if I was married to him, I said no, but we lived together. I’ve never been married. Asked when I met my fiancé and when he came to Nigeria. Didn’t ask for any evidence. And then issued me the letter he printed out earlier on.

I am so sorry about this...
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by Beautyaddy: 9:16pm On Jan 02, 2020
Drenimarcus:
Happy new year to everyone. So sorry about your denial glorioussugar.

In my honest opinion, you should probably contact your ex boyfriend to know what he filled in your previous ds-160, because in the eyes of the embassy you are in-eligible(even if you go through the spousal route).

Talk to your fiancée, you guys might need an immigration lawyer at this moment. Please don’t rush, ask questions and make sure your case is solid before you guys file CR-1. Gods speed to you

May this new year bring good tidings in all our endeavors, amen.
Sight you Oga sharpman01, legitbachelor, mekusa10, study4life and others

You might be very right.

USCIS approved the (K1) petition...however, the case became complicated to get approved for visa when it got to the US embassy.
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by mekusa10: 9:20pm On Jan 02, 2020
Study4life:

Omoh I got approved with one visit oh, I also know someone that got approved with one visit. Sometimes it’s just hard to say what they need. For me it’s truth, consistency and hugely financial strength of USC. Sorry for the denial glorioussugar. I sight you @Drenimarcus

3 Likes

Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by Glorioussugar: 9:33pm On Jan 02, 2020
sharpman1:

You are right. They denied the first 5 people before me. We were all tensed when we saw that. The Lord is my strength now. I don’t know how we will get a good immigration lawyer
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by Drenimarcus(m): 9:50pm On Jan 02, 2020
mekusa10:

Omoh I got approved with one visit oh, I also know someone that got approved with one visit. Sometimes it’s just hard to say what they need. For me it’s truth, consistency and hugely financial strength of USC. Sorry for the denial glorioussugar. I sight you @Drenimarcus

True but it also sometimes depends on the usc job too. CNAs and RNs rarely have that time .
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by Drenimarcus(m): 9:58pm On Jan 02, 2020
Glorioussugar:

You are right. They denied the first 5 people before me. We were all tensed when we saw that. The Lord is my strength now. I don’t know how we will get a good immigration lawyer

Wow. I even heard they are now arresting people with fake documents.

1 Like

Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by sandraigho: 10:06pm On Jan 02, 2020
Glorioussugar:

So sorry about this dear.
Pls get intouch with your ex asap as regards what he filled in your previous application.
That way, you can figure out the next step to take with the immigration lawyer you want to get.
All the best dear.
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by sandraigho: 10:07pm On Jan 02, 2020
Glorioussugar:

Waooooow shocked shocked shocked
Re: USA Fiancee (K1) Visa Thread by Glorioussugar: 11:03pm On Jan 02, 2020
sandraigho:

So sorry about this dear.
Pls get intouch with your ex asap as regards what he filled in your previous application.
That way, you can figure out the next step to take with the immigration lawyer you want to get.
All the best dear.

I did that immediately I left the embassy. He said he filled married. And the guy is actually married now. My fiancé now feels there’s no need using immigration lawyer as the whole thing is already in the system.

(1) (2) (3) ... (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) (108) ... (259) (Reply)

Main Reasons Many Are Refused Visas / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Travelling To Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.