Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,187 members, 7,822,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:08 AM

10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics (42557 Views)

The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance / Top 10 Most Easy Courses In Nigerian Universities / 20 Courses You Can Study Without Mathematics In Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by iamlahmee(m): 7:59am On Oct 22, 2018
i love maths even if i'm not an expert in it if u have a good teacher believe me u will know it..chemistry still remains that mad subject that do make me feel crazy
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by gaffyGIFT: 7:59am On Oct 22, 2018
all the topics are very easy guy.............

Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Nobody: 7:59am On Oct 22, 2018
Real analysis, king of kings

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Otunski: 7:59am On Oct 22, 2018
I don't see anything difficult in statistics, probability and matrix, Na real analysis , differential equations be gbege
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by AHMEDLA2GKD: 7:59am On Oct 22, 2018
I disagree with some of the listed topics kiss
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by kingjoe(m): 8:00am On Oct 22, 2018
my best subject. its so simple .
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Tamarapetty(f): 8:00am On Oct 22, 2018
I hated my maths teacher! Now wey person dey do economics, na solving all the way. Calculation upadan.
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by DiscodeeFUTA(m): 8:00am On Oct 22, 2018
Damm!! I wasted several years of my life learning what will never be applicable to my life. Education is a huge scam!!!!
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by israelmao(m): 8:00am On Oct 22, 2018
Geometry has rules so also algebra. ..mathematics just get your brain cracking. I love it.
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Tonimordred(m): 8:01am On Oct 22, 2018
Matrix reloaded
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by bamac(m): 8:01am On Oct 22, 2018
All these topics you people are just saying sef... ODE, Lapdance abi wetin that person call am, oga o.

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Nobody: 8:01am On Oct 22, 2018
Shelumiel:
All are easy now na.... Come and see Lebesgue measure,you will not like maths at all

I thought I was the only one who saw all as easy topics.

Lebesgue Measure and Integration is one hell of a topic
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Alexrayz(m): 8:02am On Oct 22, 2018
girlfromafrica:
It is general knowledge that mathematics is arguably the most hated subject by students of all levels. Now, while that has become a generally accepted fact, what remains quite unknown is the most hated mathematics topics. Well, if you are wondering what the most hated mathematics topics are then you are on the right page. Contained in this article are 10 of the most hated topics in mathematics. If you are currently studying any of this topics or will do in the future, then it is important to know how dreaded they are. With this, you can give them just the right amount of attention.

The 10 most hated mathematics topics are;

Statistics
If a 100 students are asked why they hate statistics, a 100 different answer might come up. However, if these 100 different answers are looked at very closely, they all might mean one thing; “unfathomable”. Yes, a lot of students consider statistics to be very unfathomable. Unlike very regular mathematics which is supposed to have one right answer, statistics do not always depend on a right answer. Rather, it depends on the closest answer. That, however, is not all the problem that students have with statistics. Only very few people know the real applications of statistics in real life. As a result of this, lots of people treat it with complete disinterest.

Probability
At first glance, probability definitely does look interesting. Now, the truth is probability does not just look interesting, it really is very interesting until it starts getting really complex. With probability, you just are not allowed to trust your guts. Also, what you think the right answer is could just be very far from what the answer really is and since there is no real straightforward method to go about solving probability questions, you might never get it right at advanced levels if you lack the needed patience.

Ordinary Differential Equation
Ordinary differential equations is a topic in mathematics that a lot of people look forward to with keen interest. However, after the first few days of sitting in an ODE class, only a handful of students maintain the interest with which they anticipated the class. The other set of students get to a conclusion that ODE is dry. This is because, until the first day of class, a lot of students believe they will be learning some very beautiful concepts. However, most are usually very disappointed when they are faced with what they consider unmemorable tricks.

Real Analysis
Real Analysis to a very large extent is considered one of the most difficult mathematics topic at undergraduate level. It is usually considered a chasm of some sort. Real Analysis separates the real mathematics gurus from those that want to be considered math gurus but really are not. Now, this is where the problem lies; not everyone is a math guru. However, everyone doing real analysis is expected to pass it.

Real analysis is a topic in mathematics that does not have anything to do with solving problems. Rather, it is all about proofs. If you have ever tried proving anything in mathematics, then you will agree with me that it was not a path void of many hurdles.

Algebra
Algebra in itself might be considered an easy topic in mathematics. Nevertheless, a lot of students have developed a hatred for it. Now, it might be surprising that lots and lots of students dislike algebra regardless of the fact that it is not considered a difficult topic. Well, the truth is; the major problem is not with algebra but with the approach to learning it. Two of the major problems lots of students have with algebra are the fact that they memorize steps and also the idea that they do not need it and therefore do not give it attention.

Matrix
Yes oh, its both a movie and a subject in Mathematics. Matrix is not one of the popular math topics at the junior level. However, at senior and undergrad level, it is a topic that everyone that does mathematics has to go through. Usually, at the beginning of a class on matrix, there are two sets of people;

Those that understand the basic concepts and

Those that have no idea of what is going on in class.

As the class progresses, even those that quite understood it at the beginning might begin to feel helpless.

Differential Geometry
Differential Geometry is very much unlike your regular mathematics. It involves a little bit of everything and that is definitely a reason to hate it. Reason being; if you must understand differential geometry then you should understand a little of a lot of different math concept. Apart from the fact that this topic requires that you to understand a little of everything, it also comes with a lot of definitions. Now, if you are neck deep into mathematics, then you should be fully aware that no one in a mathematics class loves definitions.

Geometry
Geometry is one of the most misunderstood topics in mathematics. Although it might be quite interesting to individuals that have great spatial reasoning skills, those with not too good spatial reasoning skills have a big hatred for it. Also, one other reason why geometry is very much hated is because it is very unlike other topics in mathematics. As a result of this, if you cannot relate it to anything you know, it might be very difficult to fully comprehend what it is all about.

Permutations and Combinations
Apart from the fact that mistakes are easily made with permutations and combinations, it is considered by a lot of students to be time consuming. Even more annoying is the fact that it gets more complex as one delves deeper. Now, if one is not able to understand the basic concepts at the beginning of study, then all chances of getting to understand it might be lost forever.

Complex Numbers
Complex numbers is a topic in mathematics that is quite easy to understand if given proper attention. However, if one fails to understand it initially, then it will make no sense. One other major reason this topic is hated is the fact that it is very abstract.

These topics sure gave some of us a really hard time in school!

Source: iDonsabi

How can u add statistics and probability that d only 2 topic dat giving us hope that we still know maths ni

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Nobody: 8:03am On Oct 22, 2018
PMBfirstson:
i love mathematics,,,,,
remember how i felt cheated because i got B3 in mathematics when i sat for ssce.... smiley smiley smiley

same as myself. I seriously feel they mark rubbish sometimes. I had B2
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Shelumiel: 8:04am On Oct 22, 2018
joshuakdboy:

I thought I was the only one who saw all as easy topics.

Lebesgue Measure and Integration is one hell of a topic
Integration is not hard ( be it by substitution,path or identity ). Lebesgue is something else entirely; it is not even in English

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by God2man(m): 8:04am On Oct 22, 2018
converting solar energy to electrical energy would have solved Nigeria electricity problem.

What is the life application of all these brain cracking maths topics?

May God help us.
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Originakalokalo(m): 8:04am On Oct 22, 2018
Dirkcoyt:
Clearly most of you are not maths or computer science or statistics undergraduate/graduate

Engineering students can’t really do much mathematics compared to the above departments.

Mathematical method 1 and 2
Ordinary differential equation
Groups and rings
Abstract algebra
Complex analysis
Real and numerical analysis
Then come to the Laplace,Fibonacci and many other theorem I can’t remember.

Not to talk of some statiscal topics.

I can’t even remember any of this topics agains cause it’s been years have finished and man really never paid attention in class or love it.

But I can tell you maths is hard regardless of teacher who taught you. Some part you need brilliance, some genius, some smart , some just cram to finish.

Bunday textbook was a friend and host of all other textbooks I can’t remember.

Done that left that! Na money be my calculus now!

Ignorance...

Engineering students at Master's level do some of those topics you listed...

Numerical analysis, Laplace, ODE and PDE... etc.

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by NoToPile: 8:04am On Oct 22, 2018
I didnt really understand set theory in secondary school, and you cant do wuruwuru to the answer angry .

That was the only problem I had with maths all through my educational years, not a maths major though so I did basic maths at uni.

I still dont get the set stuff despite my love for maths.
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Bawofss(m): 8:04am On Oct 22, 2018
Maths no hard, but further mathematics nah die....
We used to jump tru d window weneva our further maths teacher is coming is to class.
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by tomsingun4(m): 8:05am On Oct 22, 2018
Maths suffer me ,I just want to be happy in this life!
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Shayet28: 8:05am On Oct 22, 2018
Hate yourself for hating maths. If you are not ready to learn, you can never grow... cool sad
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by weezweezweez(m): 8:06am On Oct 22, 2018
girlfromafrica:
It is general knowledge that mathematics is arguably the most hated subject by students of all levels. Now, while that has become a generally accepted fact, what remains quite unknown is the most hated mathematics topics. Well, if you are wondering what the most hated mathematics topics are then you are on the right page. Contained in this article are 10 of the most hated topics in mathematics. If you are currently studying any of this topics or will do in the future, then it is important to know how dreaded they are. With this, you can give them just the right amount of attention.

The 10 most hated mathematics topics are;

Statistics
If a 100 students are asked why they hate statistics, a 100 different answer might come up. However, if these 100 different answers are looked at very closely, they all might mean one thing; “unfathomable”. Yes, a lot of students consider statistics to be very unfathomable. Unlike very regular mathematics which is supposed to have one right answer, statistics do not always depend on a right answer. Rather, it depends on the closest answer. That, however, is not all the problem that students have with statistics. Only very few people know the real applications of statistics in real life. As a result of this, lots of people treat it with complete disinterest.

Probability
At first glance, probability definitely does look interesting. Now, the truth is probability does not just look interesting, it really is very interesting until it starts getting really complex. With probability, you just are not allowed to trust your guts. Also, what you think the right answer is could just be very far from what the answer really is and since there is no real straightforward method to go about solving probability questions, you might never get it right at advanced levels if you lack the needed patience.

Ordinary Differential Equation
Ordinary differential equations is a topic in mathematics that a lot of people look forward to with keen interest. However, after the first few days of sitting in an ODE class, only a handful of students maintain the interest with which they anticipated the class. The other set of students get to a conclusion that ODE is dry. This is because, until the first day of class, a lot of students believe they will be learning some very beautiful concepts. However, most are usually very disappointed when they are faced with what they consider unmemorable tricks.

Real Analysis
Real Analysis to a very large extent is considered one of the most difficult mathematics topic at undergraduate level. It is usually considered a chasm of some sort. Real Analysis separates the real mathematics gurus from those that want to be considered math gurus but really are not. Now, this is where the problem lies; not everyone is a math guru. However, everyone doing real analysis is expected to pass it.

Real analysis is a topic in mathematics that does not have anything to do with solving problems. Rather, it is all about proofs. If you have ever tried proving anything in mathematics, then you will agree with me that it was not a path void of many hurdles.

Algebra
Algebra in itself might be considered an easy topic in mathematics. Nevertheless, a lot of students have developed a hatred for it. Now, it might be surprising that lots and lots of students dislike algebra regardless of the fact that it is not considered a difficult topic. Well, the truth is; the major problem is not with algebra but with the approach to learning it. Two of the major problems lots of students have with algebra are the fact that they memorize steps and also the idea that they do not need it and therefore do not give it attention.

Matrix
Yes oh, its both a movie and a subject in Mathematics. Matrix is not one of the popular math topics at the junior level. However, at senior and undergrad level, it is a topic that everyone that does mathematics has to go through. Usually, at the beginning of a class on matrix, there are two sets of people;

Those that understand the basic concepts and

Those that have no idea of what is going on in class.

As the class progresses, even those that quite understood it at the beginning might begin to feel helpless.

Differential Geometry
Differential Geometry is very much unlike your regular mathematics. It involves a little bit of everything and that is definitely a reason to hate it. Reason being; if you must understand differential geometry then you should understand a little of a lot of different math concept. Apart from the fact that this topic requires that you to understand a little of everything, it also comes with a lot of definitions. Now, if you are neck deep into mathematics, then you should be fully aware that no one in a mathematics class loves definitions.

Geometry
Geometry is one of the most misunderstood topics in mathematics. Although it might be quite interesting to individuals that have great spatial reasoning skills, those with not too good spatial reasoning skills have a big hatred for it. Also, one other reason why geometry is very much hated is because it is very unlike other topics in mathematics. As a result of this, if you cannot relate it to anything you know, it might be very difficult to fully comprehend what it is all about.

Permutations and Combinations
Apart from the fact that mistakes are easily made with permutations and combinations, it is considered by a lot of students to be time consuming. Even more annoying is the fact that it gets more complex as one delves deeper. Now, if one is not able to understand the basic concepts at the beginning of study, then all chances of getting to understand it might be lost forever.

Complex Numbers
Complex numbers is a topic in mathematics that is quite easy to understand if given proper attention. However, if one fails to understand it initially, then it will make no sense. One other major reason this topic is hated is the fact that it is very abstract.

These topics sure gave some of us a really hard time in school!

Source: iDonsabi
mine is BEARING AND CONSTRUCTION

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Dirkcoyt: 8:07am On Oct 22, 2018
Originakalokalo:

Ignorance...

Engineering students at Master's level do some of those topics you listed...

Numerical analysis, Laplace, ODE and PDE... etc.

Are you serious? If you actually did logic in year 1 or 2 you won’t have this logic cause your premise is flawed.

I’m tell you these aforementioned topics were done at undergraduate level you’re talking masters!

2 Likes

Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by rimijoshua(m): 8:07am On Oct 22, 2018
I represent Lautech...what of ber and bei functions,advance runge kuttas equation,Sturm louvilles function,advanced Jacobi,hann banach integral.....u go fear now...professor R O ayenis topological space....
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Shelumiel: 8:07am On Oct 22, 2018
That one dey...but compared to Lebeguse measure, Frobenius still dey learn work
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Itzurboi(m): 8:08am On Oct 22, 2018
Am a Chemist, but i love mathematics

Reason: i love subjects that makes you brainstorm, think of getting possibility out of perceive impossible model

Offer: do you know mathematical principles very well, holla me... Let me take you to another sphere that will bring cool cash to your life, then you will thank God for mathematics...
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by ikorodureporta: 8:10am On Oct 22, 2018
How many of us are applying those mathematics we learnt today?
..the best application so far has been 'teaching'
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by backnbeta(f): 8:13am On Oct 22, 2018
girlfromafrica:
Not for everyone oh! For some, even addition and subtraction is rocket science grin

Anything calculation is rocket science for me. I believe my son in primary 4 is a lot better than me in Maths! Thankfully, what I lack in Maths, my husband has made up for it. He is a maths guru.

Unfortunately, my work involves a lot of Statistical Analysis sad
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by deebsman1(m): 8:14am On Oct 22, 2018
400 level 2nd order Ordinary differential equation and 300 level real analysis made man not to grad from Unilorin maths Dept that year after 6 years spilling and splashing, was a great set back but today Man is doing well, glory to God

Today a proud MSc computer science holder

2 Likes

Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by wamide042(m): 8:15am On Oct 22, 2018
Right from my primary school days I have hated Mathematics...But i have never failed it and how i used to pass is what i still understand till now..

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Vince77(m): 8:16am On Oct 22, 2018
Please remove Matrix from that list. It's actually one of the easy to understand topics in mathematics.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

A Housemaster Injures SS3 Student In Ogun State(graphic Photos) / Reaction As Boy Who Moved Many With His Campaign Speech Loses Election (Videos) / Imo State University Student Slumps & Dies After Her Project Defence (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.