Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,412 members, 7,819,468 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:52 PM

10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics (42548 Views)

The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance / Top 10 Most Easy Courses In Nigerian Universities / 20 Courses You Can Study Without Mathematics In Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by id4sho(m): 8:53am On Oct 22, 2018
story, come and study surveying and Geoinformatics.
U gonna do all engineering mathematics, some maths and statistics, and surveying computation .

if you know, you know.
Proud Surveyor from #FUTMX
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by MetalJigsaw(m): 8:54am On Oct 22, 2018
What about Antilogarithm?
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Nobody: 8:56am On Oct 22, 2018
OP
U FORGOT " CALCULUS " ?
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by pinknipple: 8:56am On Oct 22, 2018
My love for maths is non-negotiable.
The more i fail the subject, the more it gets interesting to me.
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by MetalJigsaw(m): 8:56am On Oct 22, 2018
qanda:
You don't have to hate Mathematics. How can anyone hate Algebra, given its application in life situations. Maths is not a subject to hate. Most people who find maths difficult probably had a shaky foundation or a wrong mindset towards the subject. For me, maths is logical and one of the simplest subjects.

For students, you can get WAEC, JAMB and NECO Maths Past Questions and Answers for FREE on Q and A App.

We are working on a project to get people who are very knowledgeable in maths to simplify secondary maths curriculum topic by topic. The materials would be available for FREE on Q and A App in due course.

Download Q and A App from Google Playstore
Wrong!
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Lilimax(f): 8:57am On Oct 22, 2018
I love mathematics but REAL ANALYSIS is a no no to me.
I hated that MTH201 those days in Uniben.
We call it Kolo-Maths smiley
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by hazel01(f): 8:57am On Oct 22, 2018
Haphard:

SURDS??
yes na
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by femi4: 8:57am On Oct 22, 2018
Longitude an latitude
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by vaxx: 8:58am On Oct 22, 2018
1 Spearman correlation theory

2 Infinitesimal calculus

3 optimisation mathematics

Just to mention some few are what is giving me lot of headaches currently.......

Every computing related student can testify , and if you find these easy...kudos to you.....

I just wish this cup can pass me by
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Lilimax(f): 8:58am On Oct 22, 2018
onamur:
Only Real Analysis is the hardest among your list, orders are ABC
So true!
Others are easy except Real Analysis smiley
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by mubby4real(m): 8:58am On Oct 22, 2018
georjay:
lipsrsealed
Is there any Math's topic I didn't hate

I hate all the topics!!!
Even equation
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Lilimax(f): 8:59am On Oct 22, 2018
lilmax:
this is how people were brought up

"to hate maths"

maths is not hard, we just had wrong teachers
True!
Mathematics is very simple to me except Real Analysis smiley
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:00am On Oct 22, 2018
eleojo23:
Mathematics was interesting until they decided that numbers were not enough and introduced letters.

And the worst thing is that one of the letters will always go missing and we will have to find it. Like find X

Why should I find it? Na me throway am?
Very annoying. Na wet in make me hate match pass be that- "Find x"
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by obonujoker(m): 9:01am On Oct 22, 2018
Fourier series
Lesbuegue
Finite Element Methods ( Galakin and co )
PDEs and ODEs

As an engineer, I don't have choice.....
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Lilimax(f): 9:01am On Oct 22, 2018
LastDays777:
I thought I know mathematics well until I met real analysis
smiley
Like wise me shocked
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by princfred(m): 9:01am On Oct 22, 2018
girlfromafrica:
It is general knowledge that mathematics is arguably the most hated subject by students of all levels. Now, while that has become a generally accepted fact, what remains quite unknown is the most hated mathematics topics. Well, if you are wondering what the most hated mathematics topics are then you are on the right page. Contained in this article are 10 of the most hated topics in mathematics. If you are currently studying any of this topics or will do in the future, then it is important to know how dreaded they are. With this, you can give them just the right amount of attention.

The 10 most hated mathematics topics are;

Statistics
If a 100 students are asked why they hate statistics, a 100 different answer might come up. However, if these 100 different answers are looked at very closely, they all might mean one thing; “unfathomable”. Yes, a lot of students consider statistics to be very unfathomable. Unlike very regular mathematics which is supposed to have one right answer, statistics do not always depend on a right answer. Rather, it depends on the closest answer. That, however, is not all the problem that students have with statistics. Only very few people know the real applications of statistics in real life. As a result of this, lots of people treat it with complete disinterest.

Probability
At first glance, probability definitely does look interesting. Now, the truth is probability does not just look interesting, it really is very interesting until it starts getting really complex. With probability, you just are not allowed to trust your guts. Also, what you think the right answer is could just be very far from what the answer really is and since there is no real straightforward method to go about solving probability questions, you might never get it right at advanced levels if you lack the needed patience.

Ordinary Differential Equation
Ordinary differential equations is a topic in mathematics that a lot of people look forward to with keen interest. However, after the first few days of sitting in an ODE class, only a handful of students maintain the interest with which they anticipated the class. The other set of students get to a conclusion that ODE is dry. This is because, until the first day of class, a lot of students believe they will be learning some very beautiful concepts. However, most are usually very disappointed when they are faced with what they consider unmemorable tricks.

Real Analysis
Real Analysis to a very large extent is considered one of the most difficult mathematics topic at undergraduate level. It is usually considered a chasm of some sort. Real Analysis separates the real mathematics gurus from those that want to be considered math gurus but really are not. Now, this is where the problem lies; not everyone is a math guru. However, everyone doing real analysis is expected to pass it.

Real analysis is a topic in mathematics that does not have anything to do with solving problems. Rather, it is all about proofs. If you have ever tried proving anything in mathematics, then you will agree with me that it was not a path void of many hurdles.

Algebra
Algebra in itself might be considered an easy topic in mathematics. Nevertheless, a lot of students have developed a hatred for it. Now, it might be surprising that lots and lots of students dislike algebra regardless of the fact that it is not considered a difficult topic. Well, the truth is; the major problem is not with algebra but with the approach to learning it. Two of the major problems lots of students have with algebra are the fact that they memorize steps and also the idea that they do not need it and therefore do not give it attention.

Matrix
Yes oh, its both a movie and a subject in Mathematics. Matrix is not one of the popular math topics at the junior level. However, at senior and undergrad level, it is a topic that everyone that does mathematics has to go through. Usually, at the beginning of a class on matrix, there are two sets of people;

Those that understand the basic concepts and

Those that have no idea of what is going on in class.

As the class progresses, even those that quite understood it at the beginning might begin to feel helpless.

Differential Geometry
Differential Geometry is very much unlike your regular mathematics. It involves a little bit of everything and that is definitely a reason to hate it. Reason being; if you must understand differential geometry then you should understand a little of a lot of different math concept. Apart from the fact that this topic requires that you to understand a little of everything, it also comes with a lot of definitions. Now, if you are neck deep into mathematics, then you should be fully aware that no one in a mathematics class loves definitions.

Geometry
Geometry is one of the most misunderstood topics in mathematics. Although it might be quite interesting to individuals that have great spatial reasoning skills, those with not too good spatial reasoning skills have a big hatred for it. Also, one other reason why geometry is very much hated is because it is very unlike other topics in mathematics. As a result of this, if you cannot relate it to anything you know, it might be very difficult to fully comprehend what it is all about.

Permutations and Combinations
Apart from the fact that mistakes are easily made with permutations and combinations, it is considered by a lot of students to be time consuming. Even more annoying is the fact that it gets more complex as one delves deeper. Now, if one is not able to understand the basic concepts at the beginning of study, then all chances of getting to understand it might be lost forever.

Complex Numbers
Complex numbers is a topic in mathematics that is quite easy to understand if given proper attention. However, if one fails to understand it initially, then it will make no sense. One other major reason this topic is hated is the fact that it is very abstract.

These topics sure gave some of us a really hard time in school!

Source: iDonsabi
All topics wey men take dey pass time. All easy as a stroll that year.
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by encrypt(m): 9:03am On Oct 22, 2018
sandrahnaub:
Algebra and probability shouldn't be there
Probability yes but people do infact hate algebra infact it's the first that comes to mind!
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by princfred(m): 9:04am On Oct 22, 2018
Lilimax:
So true!
Others are easy except Real Analysis smiley
Real analysis is the easiest and best because if you are getting or get the answer correct you will know right there and then.
This is one aspect of most mathematics people don't know. You can always back substitute or know if an answer is right or wrong right in the exam hall if you are fast enough to have enough time to confirm your answers..
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:09am On Oct 22, 2018
Beremx:
Mathematics is my best subject. I used to be the best maths student back then in primary and secondary school. grin

So what?
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by narttis1: 9:09am On Oct 22, 2018
valacious:
Real analysis is on another pedestal! The hardest!
For every epsilom greater than zero, there exists a no such that....bla bla bla...all in symbols o...mmmm

Please don't remind me of my troubles grin
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by princfred(m): 9:09am On Oct 22, 2018
obonujoker:
Fourier series
Lesbuegue
Finite Element Methods ( Galakin and co )
PDEs and ODEs

As an engineer, I don't have choice.....
Now your talking. Those ones na die...lol. One wrong move and it's as all over.
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:10am On Oct 22, 2018
jashar:
Surds and Cyclical Geometry....
can we meet?
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:11am On Oct 22, 2018
ANGELMARVE:
probability one of my best mathematics topic in school.
I never scored below 98 in any of the exams or tests.
I can close my eyes and answer any of the probability problems with my brain before writing it down.
I like the way you lie.
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by ANGELMARVE(m): 9:13am On Oct 22, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
I like the way you lie.
Eminem featuring Rihana.
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Nobody: 9:20am On Oct 22, 2018
I totally disagree, cos all those topics are fantastic. Hit me up for a one-on-one tutorial.
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by jeff35(m): 9:28am On Oct 22, 2018
Why am I not seeing vector calculus
Riemann hypothesis
Numerical analysis
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by obonujoker(m): 9:29am On Oct 22, 2018
princfred:
Now your talking. Those ones na die...lol. One wrong move and it's as all over.

Lol... Fourier, Z-transforms and finite Element, na only God know o....

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by ajepako(f): 9:29am On Oct 22, 2018
girlfromafrica:
Not for everyone oh! For some, even addition and subtraction is rocket science grin

Somebody like me... grin grin grin

Any math that is not arithmetic is rocket science and Astro-Physics to me..

That's why l have two degrees in English Language... I cannot kee myself

Zero Maths.... grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by onamur: 9:30am On Oct 22, 2018
princfred:
Real analysis is the easiest and best because if you are getting or get the answer correct you will know right there and then.
This is one aspect of most mathematics people don't know. You can always back substitute or know if an answer is right or wrong right in the exam hall if you are fast enough to have enough time to confirm your answers..

You sabi book...
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by samwizzye(m): 9:33am On Oct 22, 2018
furial series hard die.....
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by princfred(m): 9:41am On Oct 22, 2018
obonujoker:

Lol... Fourier, Z-transforms and finite Element, na only God know o....
Math's them wey person go dey solve dey forget his immediate location and dey pray to God men em brain no melt catch fire....lol. Maths wey dey give hardon for exam hall grin
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 9:52am On Oct 22, 2018
girlfromafrica:
Not for everyone oh! For some, even addition and subtraction is rocket science grin

Haha.
why you come dey describe me now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Johnmary Maduakolam To JAMB: Apologize To Mmesoma Ejikeme Or Face Litigation / Covenant University, Olumuyiwa Oludayo Sex Scandal: Osi Osi, Graduate Speaks / Imo State University Student Slumps & Dies After Her Project Defence (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.