Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,099 members, 7,821,800 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics (42556 Views)

The Most Hated Animals In Nigeria And Their Surprising Importance / Top 10 Most Easy Courses In Nigerian Universities / 20 Courses You Can Study Without Mathematics In Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by silifat11(m): 6:12pm On Oct 22, 2018
No exception in my own case. I hate all topics in Maths
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 6:20pm On Oct 22, 2018
folake4u:

Yes I'm an arts student undecided.
Oya kill yourself grin
lmaooo. I'm also an arts student. I cannot kill myself for now.
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by HyconMojo(m): 6:35pm On Oct 22, 2018
jesmond3945:
you should have done ICT or Information managemet tech. were you will not do much math. but you can never do computer science without math infact you will not go far.
It was very difficult and affected my result.
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Vendee: 8:01pm On Oct 22, 2018
Matrix was quite easy for me. Maybe it should not be part of the list.
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Fourwinds: 8:08pm On Oct 22, 2018
grin grin grin grin grin
Khd95:
I hate maths irrespective of the topic

Class example/queatuon - a man is twice the age of his brother, last year his brother was 9 years, how old is the man...

Examination- if a man 5"7 tall weights 56 kg lean on a wall 7ft high and 12 inches thick , perpendicular to a stationary pole, calculate the man's age undecided

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Blonchilli(m): 8:22pm On Oct 22, 2018
Khd95:

Class example/queatuon - a man is twice the age of his brother, last year his brother was 9 years, how old is the man...

Examination- if a man 5"7 tall weights 56 kg lean on a wall 7ft high and 12 inches thick , perpendicular to a stationary pole, calculate the man's age undecided
Even your quote gave me headaches. Maths sha
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Fourwinds: 8:32pm On Oct 22, 2018
NoToPile:
I didnt really understand set theory in secondary school, and you cant do wuruwuru to the answer angry .

That was the only problem I had with maths all through my educational years, not a maths major though so I did basic maths at uni.

I still dont get the set stuff despite my love for maths.there is a secret to unlock that...

If you know you know

Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Fourwinds: 8:34pm On Oct 22, 2018
[quote author=NoToPile post=72304797]I didnt really understand set theory in secondary school, and you cant do wuruwuru to the answer angry .

That was the only problem I had with maths all through my educational years, not a maths major though so I did basic maths at uni.

I still dont get the set stuff despite my love for maths.

there is a secret to unlock that...

If you know you know
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by NoToPile: 8:51pm On Oct 22, 2018
Fourwinds:

Whats the secret
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Fourwinds: 9:00pm On Oct 22, 2018
NoToPile:

Whats the secret
in set, sections of the set diagram have names and the sum is universal set... So if you diligently follow this principle, it will always unlock your answers....

Example, n(AnB), n(AnB'), n(A'nB), n(AuB)' etc sum them to n(£)... and easy it goes
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by enonche85(m): 9:39pm On Oct 22, 2018
courna:

i just don't know the usefulness of the course....

you'll read read and read.... but then again it's not something you'll read and understand

Ever since graduation i've not seen its usefulness anywhere.

Just some stupid gibberish confusing students.
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Pasqual(m): 10:32pm On Oct 22, 2018
LordAdam16:

The same can be said about most branches of advanced pure science.

But it doesn't mean the poster you quoted is wrong per se. Advanced pure sciences are not for people with average intelligence. However, the basics of science which practically everyone needs in this current civilization is not above the pay grade of anyone with even slightly below average intelligence.

Matrix, Permutation and Combination are not difficult. Introductory probability isn't. For example, almost everyone knows you shouldn't use put a fork in a wall outlet. How many in Nigeria know the physics behind it? If most of the population had good teachers, that wouldn't be a question.

-Lord

Actually, I was only telling him my own side that even though some students were brought up to hate maths and others had wrong/poor maths teachers, they are some who were motivated and they also had the best of maths teachers!! They still failed because they could not fathom these concepts!!

If you don't get a picture of what you are taught, you'll only be left with cramming the English associated with the topic! I had that problem with lower chemistry (but not anymore) and currently, Physics seems abstract. It's not the fault of the teachers or the orientation, its the #Abstract-ness of the course (in my reasoning)
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Icon79(m): 12:12am On Oct 23, 2018
The toughest math topic, by far, is Differentiation and Integration.

O pari

GrabHisBalls:
Permutation and combination.
Matrix.
Probability.

Are all easy maths.
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by salford1: 12:20am On Oct 23, 2018
KayceeBanks:
Partial Differential Equation, Laplace transforms, Fourier series and transforms and Power series. Very easy smiley............... To die angry
You seems to be an Electrical or electronics guy. I miss those maths of converting from mechanical systems to electrical systems and vice versa.
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by NoToPile: 7:03am On Oct 23, 2018
Fourwinds:
in set, sections of the set diagram have names and the sum is universal set... So if you diligently follow this principle, it will always unlock your answers....

Example, n(AnB), n(AnB'), n(A'nB), n(AuB)' etc sum them to n(£)... and easy it goes

cry cry
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by DonroxyII: 8:43am On Oct 23, 2018
salford1:

Engineering Maths is easy. The real maths are in Maths courses in Mathematics and Physics departments. I have 2 degrees (Physics and Electrical Engineering) and a masters (Engineering) and the difference in difficulty of maths between science faculty and engineering faculty is clear like 7up.

I had class mates in my electrical engineering degree program that graduated, but won't survive 3rd year in my physics degree program.
Maximum Respect Mr Salford !
I once inquire from a guy what he is studying in Unilorin , he said M.sc Physics .... I feel like prostrating for him .... There are a lot of new new things I have seen on this thread that I have never heard about before ....
I studied Accounting in school Bsc n MSC.

Real Analysis
Ordinary Differential Equation
Lebesgue Equation grin

While here, me think Polynomial and Binomial is my real deal .... Cycle geometry , Trigonometry .....
I hate the two .... I hate anything involving shapes unless it's Organogram of a company of course grin

Maximum respect to you all doing the rocket science .... I wish to be like you and I know the future of accounting/finance will also be saturated in some of these theorem/concepts !!

2 Likes

Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Kolanist(m): 10:21am On Oct 23, 2018
Khd95:

The answer to the first question is 20 because if the brother was 9 last year that means he is 10 this year and since that man is twice his brothers age you will multiply the brothers age of this year which is 10 by 2 giving 20
The second question can never be known because there is no reference to age in the question.
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by mikeayus(m): 3:57pm On Oct 23, 2018
Lilimax:
I love mathematics but REAL ANALYSIS is a no no to me.
I hated that MTH201 those days in Uniben.
We call it Kolo-Maths smiley

real analysis was cool for us in unilag..But Dr Hallowed Olaoluwa d youngest PhD holder in africa as at then made lebesgue measure and integration a nightmare for us
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Fourwinds: 7:19pm On Oct 23, 2018
NoToPile:

cry cry
why na undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by salford1: 7:15am On Oct 24, 2018
DonroxyII:
Maximum Respect Mr Salford !
I once inquire from a guy what he is studying in Unilorin , he said M.sc Physics .... I feel like prostrating for him .... There are a lot of new new things I have seen on this thread that I have never heard about before ....
I studied Accounting in school Bsc n MSC.

Real Analysis
Ordinary Differential Equation
Lebesgue Equation grin

While here, me think Polynomial and Binomial is my real deal .... Cycle geometry , Trigonometry .....
I hate the two .... I hate anything involving shapes unless it's Organogram of a company of course grin

Maximum respect to you all doing the rocket science .... I wish to be like you and I know the future of accounting/finance will also be saturated in some of these theorem/concepts !!
In as much as Physics and Mathematics overlap, we still give utmost respect to guys studing Pure or Theoretical Maths. No Physical Scientist or Engineer comes close. If you want to do damage to your gpa, just go to maths dept to take an elective.

One of the greatest Physicist to ever grace the earth i.e Einstein even caved in and enlisted the help of his Mathematician friend Marcel Grossman to nail down the math used in his derivation of General Relativity. This same Einstein had mastered calculus at the age of 13, but still left the maths for the experts.

Schrodinger also lamented in his latter years that he was seriously hindered by his limited knowledge of maths, else he would have been able to formulate a more beautiful and easier solution to one of his quantum mechanics problems. This does not mean he wasn't good in maths as one of his solutions to a problem was only demystified and rediscovered 40 years later. That means he was 40 years ahead of his mates.

Picture below: Schrodinger equation as part of a monument in front of Warsaw University's Centre of New Technologies.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by OlawaleBammie: 8:17pm On Oct 25, 2018
d name self dey vex me....

na now u go dey hear sin, cosec, scon scan skinkes kes kes
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by OlawaleBammie: 8:17pm On Oct 25, 2018
d name self dey vex me....

na now u go dey hear sin, cosec, scon scan skinkes kes kes

1 Like

Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Nobody: 10:53am On Mar 09, 2019
salford1:

In as much as Physics and Mathematics overlap, we still give utmost respect to guys studing Pure or Theoretical Maths. No Physical Scientist or Engineer comes close. If you want to do damage to your gpa, just go to maths dept to take an elective.

One of the greatest Physicist to ever grace the earth i.e Einstein even caved in and enlisted the help of his Mathematician friend Marcel Grossman to nail down the math used in his derivation of General Relativity. This same Einstein had mastered calculus at the age of 13, but still left the maths for the experts.

Schrodinger also lamented in his latter years that he was seriously hindered by his limited knowledge of maths, else he would have been able to formulate a more beautiful and easier solution to one of his quantum mechanics problems. This does not mean he wasn't good in maths as one of his solutions to a problem was only demystified and rediscovered 40 years later. That means he was 40 years ahead of his mates.

Picture below: Schrodinger equation as part of a monument in front of Warsaw University's Centre of New Technologies.
Exactly. Riemannian geometry (geometry of curves and surfaces) is the bedrock of Einstein's theory of relativity.
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by graccce: 12:54pm On Mar 09, 2019
Tamarapetty:
I hated my maths teacher! Now wey person dey do economics, na solving all the way. Calculation upadan.

Pls I intend studying economics but not good in maths. Pls what to you advice thanks
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Nobody: 1:21pm On Mar 09, 2019
fernandoc:
You didnt mention topology. Why? Lol

EPP me ask him
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Nobody: 3:34pm On Mar 09, 2019
Why is algebraic geometry not on the list?
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by alleazardous(m): 4:20pm On Jul 06, 2019
Fourier series I hate that topic
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Nobody: 8:30pm On Nov 12, 2019
Bawofss:
Maths no hard, but further mathematics nah die....
We used to jump tru d window weneva our further maths teacher is coming is to class.

Further Mathematics is the title given to a number of advanced secondary mathematics courses. Higher and Further Mathematics may also refer to any of several advanced mathematics courses at many institutions. Linear Algebra, Geometry and Calculus are all further mathematics.
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Lekan1o1: 1:23am On Jan 28, 2020
Dirkcoyt:

Are you serious? If you actually did logic in year 1 or 2 you won’t have this logic cause your premise is flawed.

I’m tell you these aforementioned topics were done at undergraduate level you’re talking masters!

Egbon Iv missed reading Xcapedes oh lol.. I have been offline for a while pls how do I get those video and audio of anal u uploaded.?
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Amujale(m): 9:03am On Feb 19, 2020
All of us are good at certain aspects of mathematics.

Seek to identify what aspects of mathematics is good for us.

Number theory, is an important aspect of mathematics, those of us that arent studying mathematics, kindly go on and study the Number theory', is just as effective.

It's important to note that there's a branch of pure mathematics bearing the same name 'number theory', that isnt what is referenced here.

Study the theoretical aspects of 'numbers' or better still, the theoretical aspects of 'mathematics' in order words, study the history of these concepts, that should lead to a new look towards one's view of mathematics.

Numbers assist our mathematics and other mathematicians in numerous ways.

For instance, assuming a student studying Law, that has no interest in mathematics per se , yet that doesnt stop such person from studying the theoretical aspects of the seemingly unrelated discipline.
Re: 10 Most Hated Mathematics Topics by Bosch10(m): 5:19pm On Oct 13, 2023
Dirkcoyt:
Clearly most of you are not maths or computer science or statistics undergraduate/graduate

Engineering students can’t really do much mathematics compared to the above departments.

Mathematical method 1 and 2
Ordinary differential equation
Groups and rings
Abstract algebra
Complex analysis
Real and numerical analysis
Then come to the Laplace,Fibonacci and many other theorem I can’t remember.

Not to talk of some statiscal topics.

I can’t even remember any of this topics agains cause it’s been years have finished and man really never paid attention in class or love it.

But I can tell you maths is hard regardless of teacher who taught you. Some part you need brilliance, some genius, some smart , some just cram to finish.

Bunday textbook was a friend and host of all other textbooks I can’t remember.

Done that left that! Na money be my calculus now!
I know say na UI you go

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Drop Your Utme Score, Department And School For An Advice / A Housemaster Injures SS3 Student In Ogun State(graphic Photos) / Reaction As Boy Who Moved Many With His Campaign Speech Loses Election (Videos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.