Stats: 3,153,919 members, 7,821,217 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:59 AM

Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? (3811 Views)

"GOAT" People Have No Place In The Kingdom Of God - Evangelist Mike Bamiloye / Man Attempts To Kill Prophet TB Joshua With Charms In Church - Joshua Ministries / Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married (2) (3) (4)

Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by hahn(m): 11:06am On Oct 22, 2018
malvisguy212:
I have Read many biography of superstar and how hard live is for them as a little kid even as a young adults..... I guess, they should've just ended there live long time ago. hey!!! victor moses should've just ended his live after the death of his parents, but alas, he grew in FAITH and Become successful in football.

You should kill yourself for your inability to type sentences that DON'T induce migraines angry

You mean your god has still not answered your prayer on being able to create a simple sentence without a grammatical error? tongue

Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by tintingz(m): 11:08am On Oct 22, 2018
Attempt suicide or suicide is a crime in some countries, even assist suicide is a crime in some countries.

In my own personal opinion, suicide should be legal and illegal depending on the case at hand.

It should be legal when one is suffering from pains of a medical condition and no treatment, such person should decide if he/she wants to leave this world.

It should be illegal when you have no meaningful and logical reason to end your life e.g depression, JW people rejecting blood transfusion. Government duty is to protect lives.

And it shouldn't be criminalize, it should be a psychological, medical case.

Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by hahn(m): 11:13am On Oct 22, 2018
tintingz:
Attempt suicide or suicide is a crime in some countries, even assist suicide is a crime in some countries.

In my own personal opinion, suicide should be legal and illegal depending on the case at hand.

It should be legal when one is suffering from pains of a medical condition and no treatment, such person should decide if he/she want leave this world.

It should be illegal when you have no meaningful and logical reason to end your life e.g depression, JW people rejecting blood transfusion. Government duty is to protect lives.

Nice angle

Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by purem(m): 1:24pm On Oct 22, 2018
hahn:
Yes.

If you feel the world is not for you then you can self exit and stop occupying space that can be used for something of more benefit to the world.

The right to persuade people to kill themselves should be legal. Some people just don't know they are a waste smiley

So you will drive people to kill themselve if you can

This is what you deserve........

Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by hahn(m): 1:28pm On Oct 22, 2018
purem:

As long as they buy the fuel wink

Hahaha cheesy grin

Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by vaxx: 1:47pm On Oct 22, 2018
purem:

I agree with you....

Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by johnydon22(m): 1:50pm On Oct 22, 2018
hahn:

But we are talking about Nigeria undecided

Just making it clear
Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by hahn(m): 1:53pm On Oct 22, 2018
johnydon22:

Just making it clear

Indeed
Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by johnydon22(m): 1:54pm On Oct 22, 2018
frank317:

I hope u are not equating this to suicide bombers... never seen anyone arrested for attempting suicide. A lot have been rescued from drowning in Lagos Lagoon, none have been arrested and charged for any crime

It is in our criminal law. Whether we prosecute them on many cases is another issue

Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by vaxx: 2:05pm On Oct 22, 2018
johnydon22:

It is in our criminal law. Whether we prosecute them on many cases is another issue
The law was abducted from British law. But anyway culturally is an abomination too in Nigeria.....Yoruba people for instance regards it as taboo and anyone who dare it successfully will have is family properly clean( traditionally ) in igbo land it is refer to alu .
Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by vaxx: 2:24pm On Oct 22, 2018
tintingz:

It should be legal when one is suffering from pains of a medical condition and no treatment, such person should decide if he/she wants to leave this world.

Successfully committing suicide cannot be criminalized.

You can't put a dead body in jail, nor can you try it for a crime.

But attempted suicide is illega as our cuture /law determine . The rationality behind it is not to "punish" the person who attempted to kill themselves, but for the state to intervene and assess the mental state of the person who did so, and if there is some medical issue, the state will force them into treatment so that perhaps they won't try it again.

Even as the case might be , rerely is someone who attempts suicide arrested, jailed, and tried for the crime.

I doubt this kind of case happen in Nigeria despite the law for it.. I seriously doubt it ...

We rather offer a helping hand....

And on the critical medical condition, the doctor alongside the family or state lawyer ( that is if there is no family) should be the people to determine that. Sick patient has no says in this case because of his health...

My opinion though.....
Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by tintingz(m): 3:29pm On Oct 22, 2018
vaxx:

Successfully committing suicide cannot be criminalized.

You can't put a dead body in jail, nor can you try it for a crime.

But attempted suicide is illega as our cuture /law determine . The rationality behind it is not to "punish" the person who attempted to kill themselves, but for the state to intervene and assess the mental state of the person who did so, and if there is some medical issue, the state will force them into treatment so that perhaps they won't try it again.

Even as the case might be , rerely is someone who attempts suicide arrested, jailed, and tried for the crime.

I doubt this kind of case happen in Nigeria despite the law for it.. I seriously doubt it ...

We rather offer a helping hand....

And on the critical medical condition, the doctor alongside the family or state lawyer ( that is if there is no family) should be the people to determine that. Sick patient has no says in this case because of his health...

My opinion though.....
If the doctor said there's no cure for the condition and the patient is in serious pains, if the patient doesn't want to live anymore, he/she should be granted that.

But I get you, the doctor and family will be the one to determine that since the patient is on a sick bed.
Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by urahara(m): 5:39pm On Oct 22, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

THE ONLY THING DISCOURAGING SUICIDE IS FEAR. FEAR OF DYING AND ENDING UP IN A BOX, FEAR OF WHAT THE AFTERLIFE MAY LOOK LIKE, FEAR OF HOW FRIENDS AND LOVED ONES WILL COPE, AND SO ON.

WEED IS ILLEGAL BUT PEOPLE STILL SMOKE AND THOSE THAT DON'T SMOKE DON'T DO IT BECAUSE IT'S NOT THEIR THING, AND NOT BECAUSE IT'S ILLEGAL. SO WHEN IT'S MADE LEGAL IT WILL BE THE USUAL CUSTOMERS COMING OUT OF THEIR HOLES.

SO THE LEGALIZATION OF SUICIDE WILL NOT MAKE A MAN WHO INITIALLY DIDN'T WANT TO TAKE HIS LIFE TO CHANGE HIS PLANS AND CONSIDER SUICIDE. I DON'T THINK IT'LL WORK LIKE THAT.

BESIDES IN THIS COUNTRY NOT TOO MANY PEOPLE KNOW THAT SUICIDE IS A CRIME. A SILLY POLICY IT IS, IN FACT, IF THE GOVERNMENT AREN'T LOCKING UP DEAD BODIES IN PRISONS. .

True
Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by frank317: 6:28pm On Oct 22, 2018
johnydon22:

The law is a useless one for all I care. If someone what's to kill himself, can this law stop him? No.
Can the law prosecute a dead person? No.

Does it even really matter if people are given the right to kill themselves or not? Is anyone capable of giving such a right to another?

Chairman, when a person is fed up of life... I mean really fed up and he wants to kill himself. There is nothing any law is going to do about it

Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by budaatum: 6:32pm On Oct 22, 2018
JeromeBlack:

Abeg, have they arrested anyone for suicide? Dead body dey prison?
Lol. Even attempted suicidees don't go to prison if they failed to die.

As to the "right to kill oneself", I've always found this funny. Who's permission does a suicidee need? Governments perhaps? Are they going to be required to give a suicide permit or something?

Suicidees don't need permission. They just take their own life.
Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by budaatum: 6:34pm On Oct 22, 2018
johnydon22:

You can be prosecuted and jailed if you fail
Not in UK. But if jailed, just try again, and again, and again.... Until you succeed!
Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by budaatum: 6:36pm On Oct 22, 2018
johnydon22:

It's a crime in many countries
UK too, but no one is prosecuted even if they fail.
Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by budaatum: 6:39pm On Oct 22, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

I BELIEVE IT'S VERY IMPORTANT TO ALLOW PEOPLE CHOOSE THEY DON'T WANT TO LIVE ANYMORE.. BECAUSE IN THE FIRST PLACE THEY NEVER ASKED TO BE BORN SO IT SHOULD BE POSSIBLE TO LEAVE WHENEVER ONE IS FED UP WITH LIVING.
SUICIDE SHOULD BE A FUNDAMENTAL HUMAN RIGHT.
You don't "allow". You have no authority whatsoever to be 'allowing'! I just buy a gun and shoot myself. Your 'allowing' is irrelevant.

Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by budaatum: 6:41pm On Oct 22, 2018
hahn:

That is why I support suicide and think it should be encouraged. Just imagine meeting someone on the bridge and he tells you he wants to jump over for one of the reasons you mentioned. Na to encourage am. One will be like "move and jump at that place because there are more rocks" grin
Lol! Or push him sef!

Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by johnydon22(m): 7:25pm On Oct 22, 2018
malvisguy212:
is suicide good or bad ?
I honestly don't know though I'd say it is morally neutral.

What do you think?

I see, one of your atheist friend already accepted it as good.
Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by johnydon22(m): 7:48pm On Oct 22, 2018
tintingz:

So, a person can't simply say "I don't want to be alive again?"

Government's protection is mandatory?
Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by johnydon22(m): 7:50pm On Oct 22, 2018
budaatum:

Lol! Or push him sef!
and then go to jail and ruin your life because of your busy body
Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by bloodofthelamb(m): 8:06pm On Oct 22, 2018
budaatum:
Lol! Or push him sef!

That will make you a every good neighbour. I guest! undecided
Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by tintingz(m): 8:20pm On Oct 22, 2018
johnydon22:

Ofocs one can say I don't want to be alive again.

It's just part of government responsibility to protect the lives of the people.
Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by hahn(m): 9:25pm On Oct 22, 2018
budaatum:

Lol! Or push him sef!

Then it will become homicide grin

Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by budaatum: 9:54pm On Oct 22, 2018
johnydon22:
and then go to jail and ruin your life because of your busy body
Yeah, I know. And assisted killing is a crime. Guess I can stand by and watch.
Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by budaatum: 9:56pm On Oct 22, 2018
johnydon22:

Yes it is. They'd section you. Throw in a mad house and set you on 24 hour watch. Some governments care so much they'd do anything to keep people alive even those who want to die.
Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by malvisguy212: 2:04pm On Oct 24, 2018
johnydon22:
I honestly don't know though I'd say it is morally neutral.

What do you think?

alright..........I lost a friend in this Kaduna crisis, a good brother.
Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by Martinez19(m): 3:17pm On Oct 24, 2018
People should have the right to end their life whether they have a good reason to or not. It's their life.

To digress a little, I did like to say that not all people who commit suicide or attempt to are "screwed" in the head. A normal person with no disorder of any form and with a sound mind can still commit suicide. It happens that there are people who prefer quality of life over it's longevity.

Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by johnydon22(m): 7:46pm On Oct 24, 2018
Martinez19:
People should have the right to end their life whether they have a good reason to or not. It's their life.

To digress a little, I did like to say that not all people who commit suicide or attempt to are "screwed" in the head. A normal person with no disorder of any form and with a sound mind can still commit suicide. It happens that there are people who prefer quality of life over it's longevity.

Human life is an existential horror. Take for instance, countries like Japan have more suicide rate than Uganda.

The more intelligent you are, the more likely you are to commit suicide.

It seems the more humans know or understand, the mind begins to seek self destruction

Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by hahn(m): 7:46pm On Oct 24, 2018
malvisguy212:

Where was your god? undecided
Re: Should People Have The Right To Kill Themselves? by johnydon22(m): 7:47pm On Oct 24, 2018
malvisguy212:

I'm sorry to hear that bro.

Question For Gatiano? / Biblical Verses Of Killing And Terror / Please Can Someone Help Me Find Where God Changed His Word From DEUTRONOMY 22:5

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51