Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,818 members, 7,820,883 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? (16663 Views)

How Do I Retrieve My Lost Files? / My Computer Is Infected With A Very Deadly Virus / Recover All Your Lost Files From Hard Disk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by feeqtee(m): 7:13am On Oct 27, 2018
cliqtips:
Hello NL,
Good morning.

Please can anyone assist me on how to retrieve my files on a hard drive infected with the shortcut virus on it.
This virus turned all the files on the hard drive to shortcut.

Thank you in advance.

Option 1

Install WinRAR
Navigate to your HDD from WinRAR you will see all the hidden items.
Right click on any of the hiddend files or folders, select properties and uncheck the "hidden" checkbox click on okay.
Repeat the same process for all files or folders.
You can also make a new folder and copy the contents if the hidden folders to the new folder you created.

Option 2
Send me your email address and I will send you a file that removes the shortcuts and clears your HDD.
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by phatephul(m): 7:13am On Oct 27, 2018
Most antivirus won't help you as they'll only maybe remove the shortcuts.
Now the first thing to do is to check that the files are still in your hard drive by checking your hard drive capacity in My Computer (if your operating system is lower than windows 10) or This PC (if your operating system is windows 10). This means the files are just hidden.
Then click on the start button and (for windows 10) search for "cmd" and run as administrator or (for windows 8 and lower) click on run and type CMD in the box that pops up.
Since its your HDD, type the following command: attrib -h -s /s /d and hit enter.
It should take some time but all your files should now be visible.
Good luck and let us know how it went
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by Lacomb(m): 7:16am On Oct 27, 2018
temmyt20:

How to remove shortcut virus from USB drive

Press win+R it will open run window.

Enter cmd and press ok.

In command window type attrib and hit enter.

Now type “attrib -h -r -s /s /d e:\*.*” and hit enter. ( Or copy the code in colons)(Replace 'e' by the drive label from which you want to remove virus)

This is all you need

1 Like

Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by afolabia143: 7:18am On Oct 27, 2018
talktrue1:
Type this command below in cmd prompt and press enter

“attrib -h -r -s /s /d e:\*.*” 

Where e is your flash drive.
this is the best
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by Cidatek(m): 7:19am On Oct 27, 2018
kunzyomi:
1. Go to "my computer" or any other folder you previously had files

2. In the search bar, type "." ie full stop

Wait for it

All ur files should start popping up

Use this this method.......... or better still......if u open ur hard drive , start typing the name of the folder that have turn to short cut , at the search bar , a pop up of the full name of that folder will appear...... with .ink extension , just use ur ur keyboard down arrow key to select from the list, haven selected the folder name, use back space key to clear that .ink extension then hit enter key...... the content of folder will show...... U can recreate it, move it or archive it

Incace u don't understand call me 08111624444
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by symbianDON(m): 7:23am On Oct 27, 2018
this is small matter op. as someone said, the virus simply hid all your files by making them appear to windows as system files. you don't need to format or use any software. here's what you should do: go to my documents folder, click on folder options, click on view, click on show hidden folders and also show operating system files (a dialogue box will pop up saying it's not recommended and asking if you want to change it, click yes), finally click save. now open your drive you will either see your files as hidden files or you will see a hidden containing all your files. if it's a folder, simple right-click, go to properties and change the attributes from read-only and hidden. if it's individual files, select all and change properties. next, scan the drive with Kaspersky anti-virus (you can download an authentic copy from their site and get a free one-month license). I guarantee you, it will neutralize the virus and delete the shortcuts created. good luck.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by Nobody: 7:24am On Oct 27, 2018
I have a flash infected too and nothing would work. Mine can't be formatted because it's been writeprotected. Even the cmd prompt couldn't solve it
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by felix55(m): 7:26am On Oct 27, 2018
that's stress... just my 1kb program will kill all shortcut programs or ink programs.. then restore ur files ...& ur system will b fully free from it. pls note: shortcuts or inks virus is not a virus rather a programs.
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by aiboss: 7:30am On Oct 27, 2018
The best and classic way to get your files safely, and to always open suspected virus infected external drives is by using "winrar".
It's a file compressing program.
Download and install in your system
Open the program
Use it to locate the drive
You will see the original version of you files and you will also see the virus infected version (check the files extensions). E.g word document should have .doc, .docx extension, photos should have .jpeg, .gif, .png extensions etc while the wrong files will have different extension like .link etc
While still having the winrar open, identify the originals of your files and copy them one after the other to a safer location.
Ensure they are safely saved somewhere else before formatting the affected drive.

Second option is by enabling the hidden files settings of your folder/file explorer. Most likely the virus converted your originals to hidden files.
When its enabled, copy out your files somewhere safe, right click on each of them and uncheck their hidden properties,
and finally format the affected drive before reuse.

I hope this helps.
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by Chikpat(m): 7:31am On Oct 27, 2018
Noel1:
That's why I advise people to stop taking short cuts undecided

hehehe. u no well
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by ChiefAzubuike(f): 7:32am On Oct 27, 2018
TarOrfeek:
At the mention of SMADAV anti-virus.

Every shortcut virus must die.

Smadav is only for USB connected external storage like phones and stuffs and has little or no effect on a computer hardrive
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by rxmusa(m): 7:35am On Oct 27, 2018
@Cliqtips use USBSHOW (2MB portable software that'll return your folders in few minutes)

1 Like

Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by fidelism: 7:36am On Oct 27, 2018
cliqtips:
Hello NL,
Good morning.

Please can anyone assist me on how to retrieve my files on a hard drive infected with the shortcut virus on it.

Thank you in advance.

I used to experience such especially when u insert ur flash on an infected computer. This is how to solve it.
Click on "Start" -->Run --> type cmd and click on OK.

Here I assume your flash drive letter as G:

Enter this command.

attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*

You can copy the above command --> Right-click in the Command Prompt and

paste it.

Note : Don't forget to replace the letter g with your flash drive letter.

Now press "Enter".

Now check for your files in Flash Drive.

Delete all shortcuts

If the computer with this virus is yours, you need to install an up-to-date antivirus (I use avast) and boot scan the computer.

Delete all detected viruses

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by Rindo69: 7:37am On Oct 27, 2018
Use your Microsoft anti virus scan. It is the best!!!
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by 9jaArea: 7:38am On Oct 27, 2018
cliqtips:
Hello NL,
Good morning.

Thank you in advance.

Go to "folder options " check view hidden files and uncheck view protected system files then go back to the folder where your files where saved and you'll find them there.

If you saved them in a folder just copy them out of the folder if not search how to apply "attrib" cmd on Google to restore your files.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by sirusX(m): 7:38am On Oct 27, 2018
Babaisaac:

It's very easy to get back your file follow this steps.
Normally nothing happened to your file it's just their attributes that was permanently set as hidden.

Here's how to display hidden files and folders.

Windows 10

In the search box on the taskbar, type folder, and then select Show hidden files and folders from the search results.
Under Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then select OK.

Windows 8.1

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, then select Search (or if you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then select Search).
Type folder in the search box, then select Folder Options from the search results.
Select the View tab.
Under Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then select OK.

Windows 7

Select the Start button, then select Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization.
Select Folder Options, then select the View tab.

Also enable all option to display operating system and all hidden files

Now you will see all your files again.

Making sense....not all those saying format, when your files are still in there
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by bluefilm: 7:39am On Oct 27, 2018
talktrue1:
Type this command below in cmd prompt and press enter

attrib -h -r -s /s /d e:\*.*” 

Where e is your flash drive.

So far, you are the only computer guru here.

All these other ones talking _bullshit are fakes.

Well done.

OP, there's your solution!!!

1 Like

Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by amjustme2: 7:50am On Oct 27, 2018
Command line solution is the best option, you don't have to install anything, and the solution is relatively permanent. Plus you don't need formatting.

How ever you should know that if its a virus is responsible for the problem, hence you need anti virus/spyware to ensure it does not occur again.
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by iamfaitholusola: 7:55am On Oct 27, 2018
Search for any file name using the search box in windows top right.

Then right click and open file location.

It bypasses the shortcut virus
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by QueenSimisi(f): 7:57am On Oct 27, 2018
Download USBFIX and install on your computer then connect your drive and use it to scan and fix.
I'm 100%, sure this will work it's just about 10 mb. What's happening to your drive is not virus. They call it usb worm. The USBFIX is very efficient in handling that.
Here are a link. https://filehippo.com/download_usbfix/
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by Mrviktor(m): 7:59am On Oct 27, 2018
USB fix.... Its not up to 2mb... Magical.app I tell u.. Magical
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by consultancy: 8:02am On Oct 27, 2018
so all these solutions and the OP hasn't come bk to say if any worked for him?
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by Ray07(m): 8:10am On Oct 27, 2018
ChiefAzubuike:

Smadav is only for USB connected external storage like phones and stuffs and has little or no effect on a computer hardrive
no mind them . . . .
Smadav no be antivirus abeg. Hate that shit
Bitdefender follow by malwarebyte is what I use and the have been exceptional in protecting my PC.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by techmatas: 8:11am On Oct 27, 2018
This problem is probably batch file shortcut malware that replicate your files to shortcut. The solution has already been provided. Just follow one of those prompt command solution recommended by some contributors earlier.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by DCONE1(m): 8:27am On Oct 27, 2018
Nice post
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by yenereal(m): 8:33am On Oct 27, 2018
Download Microsoft Windows Essentials, update it first, scan, run a full scan. Thank me later. It will delete all the shortcut virus.
Scanning will take time, just make sure it finishes.
cliqtips:
Hello NL,
Good morning.

Thank you in advance.
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by rayobaba(m): 8:34am On Oct 27, 2018
Just do this.
Trust2001:
download usb fix and boom your problem is solved
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by aminubako1(m): 8:35am On Oct 27, 2018
Try USBFIX
cliqtips:
Hello NL,
Good morning.

Thank you in advance.
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by yenereal(m): 8:35am On Oct 27, 2018
undecided
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by abbainfotech: 8:46am On Oct 27, 2018
dadamuyiwa:
If you are using Win7 upward...

-Insert your drive
-double click on My Computer or Open any Folder
-Click on "Organize" on the left hand top corner.
-Click on "Folder Option"
-Click on "View".
-Check " Show hidden files,folder and drives"
-Unchecked "Hide empty drives in computer folder"
-Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
-then, click on OK.

Open the drive and you see all your files. Copy them out and create another folder to put them and unhide them if you like.

This it. In addition, uncheck "hide protected operating system files", you will see all your files faded
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by sanchybaby: 8:52am On Oct 27, 2018
You probably removed tour flash drive unsafely from a system. Look for the system and insert back your flash... If it doesn't come up then use the repair option that comes up when you insert in the system. Works for me.
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by saintneo(m): 8:53am On Oct 27, 2018
cliqtips:
Hello NL,
Good morning.

Thank you in advance.

1. Open CMD (command prompt).
2. Type the name of your drive or removal drive and a colon after it and hit enter. [ Example:- e:]
3. Now type: attrib -h -r -s /s /d e:\*.* (Replace e: with the drive name of your drive)
4. Press enter.
5. Go back to the folder view of your drive.
6. Thank me later.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

List Of Top 10 Countries By Number Of Internet Users (naija Made The List) / How Do I Recharge My Etisalat Modem / Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.