Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,189 members, 7,818,617 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:54 PM

How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? - Computers (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? (16657 Views)

How Do I Retrieve My Lost Files? / My Computer Is Infected With A Very Deadly Virus / Recover All Your Lost Files From Hard Disk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by Madir: 10:00pm On Oct 29, 2018
You need to initially prepare the system, so not to infect viruses. Many antiviruses block these threats. I choose the most famous antivirus from this https://antivirus-review.com list. Kaspersky and Norton are the best for me.
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by Romeo386: 10:24pm On Oct 29, 2018
Please guys, how can I delete "copy of shortcut.ink" virus from laptop or any hard drive? I have avast premier anti-virus, I scanned my system with it but it didn't work. Please what should I do?
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by Romeo386: 10:34pm On Oct 29, 2018
fruqy:
You are all correct while missing important points.

Since the computer might have been infected also, doing the above will not solve your problem permanently.

You firstly, need to check for running programs using Task Manager.

Look for "PAINT", "MICROSOFT REGISTRY SERVER", "AUTOiT3", "Microsoft Visual Basic"

Either of this must be running

Just force close them.

Secondly,

Go to your startup menu and right click on either of those and delete using SHIFT+DELETE

Now, to get your files back, open any folder

Go to folder and search and clock on folder options

From there, click on the middle tab that says VIEW

then tick "show hidden folders" and untick "hide protected operating system files"

Apply and save

Go to the flash drive and RIGHT CLICK then CLICK on OPEN.

This will prevent the virus from opening up again if it's an AUTORUN virus.

Under the flash drive you will see the virus there but delete all shortcuts there.

Paint.sys, Autorun.inf, and .lnk files

Your files will have shown but they will be greyed out.

To make them appear normal again, use the command prompt command listed by some of the NLers noting the drive letter of the flash drive i.e. C:/, D:/, E:/ or whatever the drive letter might be.

That's all.

Next time, disable autoplay on all your computer devices

Click on start and type AUTOPLAY, open it up and disable autoplay for all media them save.
Please bro, how can I delete "copy of shortcut.ink" virus from laptop or any hard drive? I have avast premier anti-virus, I scanned my system with it but it didn't work. Please what should I do?
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by sundayslim(m): 5:33am On Nov 01, 2018
fruqy:

Good try but before you comment, try and read the OPs statement of the issue. Mtchww

Doesn't make it an accurate description. Still not a virus based on the explanation. You don't have to be rude.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

List Of Top 10 Countries By Number Of Internet Users (naija Made The List) / How Do I Recharge My Etisalat Modem / Nigeria In Massive Push To Reduce Dependency On Foreign Software

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.