Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:36 AM

How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? (16616 Views)

How Do I Retrieve My Lost Files? / My Computer Is Infected With A Very Deadly Virus / Recover All Your Lost Files From Hard Disk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by WaffenSS(m): 8:55am On Oct 27, 2018
cliqtips:
Hello NL,
Good morning.

Please can anyone assist me on how to retrieve my files on a hard drive infected with the shortcut virus on it.
This virus turned all the files on the hard drive to shortcut.

Thank you in advance.

Go to folder options and enable Show Hidden Files and Folders

Or use a Linux PC. You can mount one on a VM
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by Nobody: 8:57am On Oct 27, 2018
talktrue1:
Type this command below in cmd prompt and press enter

“attrib -h -r -s /s /d e:\*.*” 

Where e is your flash drive.

This will solve it , I had this issues on my system before 100%
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by Justpassingby2(m): 9:01am On Oct 27, 2018
cliqtips:
Hello NL,
Good morning.

Please can anyone assist me on how to retrieve my files on a hard drive infected with the shortcut virus on it.

Thank you in advance.

At the mention of SMADAV, all virus knees must bow
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by ogbevireo(m): 9:03am On Oct 27, 2018
talktrue1:

Above is the correct solution
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by Nobody: 9:06am On Oct 27, 2018
Search for those files in explorer by using their file extension... (open the respective window and press f3)
.docx for Ms word
.xlsx for Ms Excel
.mp3 or .wma for audio files
.mp4, .avi, or .3gp and so on for video files
.pdf for pdf files and so on
compress those retrieved files so they dont get affected...
or better still if you stay around UNILAG just call me and bring it to my office, i will fix it for you free no charge.
08063840158. yomiBRAIN
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by openmine(m): 9:10am On Oct 27, 2018
dadamuyiwa:
If you are using Win7 upward...

-Insert your drive
-double click on My Computer or Open any Folder
-Click on "Organize" on the left hand top corner.
-Click on "Folder Option"
-Click on "View".
-Check " Show hidden files,folder and drives"
-Unchecked "Hide empty drives in computer folder"
-Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
-then, click on OK.

Open the drive and you see all your files. Copy them out and create another folder to put them and unhide them if you like.
Op this is the best solution you are looking for!
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by Parser: 9:27am On Oct 27, 2018
if all the above methods happens not to work. Especially d cmd: attrib -h -r -s /s /d f:\*.*
then use m3 data recovery tool, which is d last option. open d app. select d hard drive. allow d tool to do a quick scan in few seconds. alas u find all of ur files nd folders inside. Click on multiple or single file/folder to recover it to a preferred location.

pls em in search of a job. an eee graduate with knowledge in both ICT and electrical engrg. Any potential employer shud help a brother out. tnks.
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by pheforusty(m): 9:31am On Oct 27, 2018
Download and use "usbfix"..
cliqtips:
Hello NL,
Good morning.

Thank you in advance.
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by bigcil2(m): 9:34am On Oct 27, 2018
cliqtips:
Hello NL,
Good morning.

Thank you in advance.

Follow these steps

Go to control panel and make hidden files visible also make system files visible.

Now every file that isn’t in a folder to the best of my knowledge is gone.

Create a folder on a safe path in your PC. Copy the files under the folders that are visible don’t copy the folder.

You should be fine.

I can’t remember the steps to use to make hidden and system files visible but I know it’s in the control panel if you’re using windows 10 type “control panel” on the search menu.

I hope this helps

1 Like

Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by fruqy(m): 9:36am On Oct 27, 2018
You are all correct while missing important points.

Since the computer might have been infected also, doing the above will not solve your problem permanently.

You firstly, need to check for running programs using Task Manager.

Look for "PAINT", "MICROSOFT REGISTRY SERVER", "AUTOiT3", "Microsoft Visual Basic"

Either of this must be running

Just force close them.

Secondly,

Go to your startup menu and right click on either of those and delete using SHIFT+DELETE

Now, to get your files back, open any folder

Go to folder and search and clock on folder options

From there, click on the middle tab that says VIEW

then tick "show hidden folders" and untick "hide protected operating system files"

Apply and save

Go to the flash drive and RIGHT CLICK then CLICK on OPEN.

This will prevent the virus from opening up again if it's an AUTORUN virus.

Under the flash drive you will see the virus there but delete all shortcuts there.

Paint.sys, Autorun.inf, and .lnk files

Your files will have shown but they will be greyed out.

To make them appear normal again, use the command prompt command listed by some of the NLers noting the drive letter of the flash drive i.e. C:/, D:/, E:/ or whatever the drive letter might be.

That's all.

Next time, disable autoplay on all your computer devices

Click on start and type AUTOPLAY, open it up and disable autoplay for all media them save.
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by felixawe(m): 9:42am On Oct 27, 2018
I used a software like `recover my file or nero 9 ` to recnver data from hard drives
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by 1sttruth: 9:50am On Oct 27, 2018
Babaisaac:

It's very easy to get back your file follow this steps.
Normally nothing happened to your file it's just their attributes that was permanently set as hidden.

Here's how to display hidden files and folders.

Windows 10

In the search box on the taskbar, type folder, and then select Show hidden files and folders from the search results.
Under Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then select OK.

Windows 8.1

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, then select Search (or if you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then select Search).
Type folder in the search box, then select Folder Options from the search results.
Select the View tab.
Under Advanced settings, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then select OK.

Windows 7

Select the Start button, then select Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization.
Select Folder Options, then select the View tab.

Also enable all option to display operating system and all hidden files

Now you will see all your files again.
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by sundayslim(m): 10:03am On Oct 27, 2018
cliqtips:
Hello NL,
Good morning.

Thank you in advance.

It's actually a registry error. Quite an old issue but still fixable without using any antivirus software or losing your files. Please chat me up on zero seven zero three nine three eight six three one three. I will guide u step by step. It's delicate and I wouldn't want you to make a mistake so I want you to get it right at once that's why.
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by sundayslim(m): 10:04am On Oct 27, 2018
fruqy:
You are all correct while missing important points.

Since the computer might have been infected also, doing the above will not solve your problem permanently.

You firstly, need to check for running programs using Task Manager.

Look for "PAINT", "MICROSOFT REGISTRY SERVER", "AUTOiT3", "Microsoft Visual Basic"

Either of this must be running

Just force close them.

Secondly,

Go to your startup menu and right click on either of those and delete using SHIFT+DELETE

Now, to get your files back, open any folder

Go to folder and search and clock on folder options

From there, click on the middle tab that says VIEW

then tick "show hidden folders" and untick "hide protected operating system files"

Apply and save

Go to the flash drive and RIGHT CLICK then CLICK on OPEN.

This will prevent the virus from opening up again if it's an AUTORUN virus.

Under the flash drive you will see the virus there but delete all shortcuts there.

Paint.sys, Autorun.inf, and .lnk files

Your files will have shown but they will be greyed out.

To make them appear normal again, use the command prompt command listed by some of the NLers noting the drive letter of the flash drive i.e. C:/, D:/, E:/ or whatever the drive letter might be.

That's all.

Next time, disable autoplay on all your computer devices

Click on start and type AUTOPLAY, open it up and disable autoplay for all media them save.

Good try but this will not fix it. It's not a virus. It's just a registry error.
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by yemmynath(m): 10:14am On Oct 27, 2018
Try Synmatec antivirus, update the virus engine and thank me latter
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by xeros20(m): 10:24am On Oct 27, 2018
cliqtips:
Hello NL,
Good morning.

Thank you in advance.
Download and install escan ISS. It will wipe the virus off and your files intact.
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by temmienewells(m): 11:46am On Oct 27, 2018
open the flashdrive , press the full stop key, it should bring out all the hidden files, you can cut and take them out of the flash, I pray it works.
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by bedfordng(m): 12:40pm On Oct 27, 2018
smart dab can get the job done. try smartdav old version, probably 2017 version
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by HyDef(m): 12:44pm On Oct 27, 2018
Trust2001:
download usb fix and boom your problem is solved

Seconded.
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by cliqtips: 1:01pm On Oct 27, 2018
Thanks for this... this fixed it.
I'm currently copying the files now.

aystunt:
Open the hard drive with winrar.. And copy your document out
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by cliqtips: 1:05pm On Oct 27, 2018
*modified*

Hello NL,
Good morning.

Thank you in advance.

Downloading WINRAR fixed it.
I'm currently extracting all files now.
Thank you all for your contributions, I really appreciate.
Blessed.
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by cliqtips: 1:07pm On Oct 27, 2018
Thank you for this, but I kept getting Access denied.

saintneo:

1. Open CMD (command prompt).
2. Type the name of your drive or removal drive and a colon after it and hit enter. [ Example:- e:]
3. Now type: attrib -h -r -s /s /d e:\*.* (Replace e: with the drive name of your drive)
4. Press enter.
5. Go back to the folder view of your drive.
6. Thank me later.
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by cliqtips: 1:09pm On Oct 27, 2018
Option 1 fixed it.
Thank you.

feeqtee:

Option 1

Install WinRAR
Navigate to your HDD from WinRAR you will see all the hidden items.
Right click on any of the hiddend files or folders, select properties and uncheck the "hidden" checkbox click on okay.
Repeat the same process for all files or folders.
You can also make a new folder and copy the contents if the hidden folders to the new folder you created.

Option 2
Send me your email address and I will send you a file that removes the shortcuts and clears your HDD.
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by AK481(m): 1:42pm On Oct 27, 2018
talktrue1:

This is the answer
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by ceejay80s(m): 2:32pm On Oct 27, 2018
Trust2001:
download usb fix and boom your problem is solved
yeah u are right, USB fix worked for me 3yrs ago
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by MightyFortress: 3:06pm On Oct 27, 2018
interesting
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by fruqy(m): 3:41pm On Oct 27, 2018
sundayslim:

Good try but this will not fix it. It's not a virus. It's just a registry error.

Good try but before you comment, try and read the OPs statement of the issue. Mtchww
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by saintneo(m): 8:08pm On Oct 27, 2018
cliqtips:
Thank you for this, but I kept getting Access denied.

this always works.

can you post screen shot of the Command Prompt window?
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by nonye6194: 12:02am On Oct 28, 2018
cliqtips:
Hello NL,
Good morning.

Thank you in advance.

https://filehippo.com/download_usbfix/
download and install this usbfix software. run the cleaning option after installation. Everything will be restored so far you didn't delete or alter the shortcut files
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by nonye6194: 12:03am On Oct 28, 2018
cliqtips:
Hello NL,
Good morning.

Thank you in advance.
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by intergral(m): 12:14am On Oct 28, 2018
cliqtips:
Hello NL,
Good morning.

Thank you in advance.
op do you want my honest and working advice?... Download Quick Heal total security and use internet to activate the free one month trial... Connect your HDD and relax it will treat their Bleep up... You can get the 1 year license in most computer shops at a cheap rate...
Re: How Do I Retrieve Files From Hard Drive Infected With Shortcut Virus? by Zeebit001(m): 11:37pm On Oct 28, 2018
Babaisaac:

It's very easy to get back your file follow this steps.
Normally nothing happened to your file it's just their attributes that was permanently set as hidden.

Here's how to display hidden files and folders.

Windows 10

In the search box on the taskbar, type folder, and then select Show hidden files and folders from the search results.

Windows 8.1

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, then select Search (or if you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then select Search).
Type folder in the search box, then select Folder Options from the search results.
Select the View tab.

Windows 7

Select the Start button, then select Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization.
Select Folder Options, then select the View tab.

Also enable all option to display operating system and all hidden files

Now you will see all your files again.

I recommend this step. it always work.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Hack Facebook Account Using The Mobile Number / List Of Top 10 Countries By Number Of Internet Users (naija Made The List) / How Do I Recharge My Etisalat Modem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.