Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,751 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:10 AM

Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' (14811 Views)

Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 46th Birthday Today / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize / Nnedi Okorafor To Write Black Panther For Marvel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by Rumicarter: 7:01pm On Oct 22, 2018
Nnedi is blunt like that o but I love her. She's a great writer. I think she's underrated sef.
Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by Holymann(m): 7:12pm On Oct 22, 2018
adioolayi:
Talk is cheap....
Meaning:
Act it out, Get at it...Just do it...
She was actually trying to push the young writer unfortunately she didn't get it
Last time i checked, "talk is cheap" also means you can't do it.

1 Like

Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by Holymann(m): 7:16pm On Oct 22, 2018
Fierce11:
There's nothing like "just do it" or any "motivation" in what she wrote,, her reply was the usual damage control done by foolish celebrities.
YOU: "I'm gonna be great".
ME: "Talk is cheap".
That's a terrible morale killer.
Talk is cheap.. I know.. But sense is cheaper..
Unfortunately, Nnedi could not afford it.
You're correct
The speed with which she deleted the " talk is cheap" tweet will let you know that every other tweet was damage control
Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by kayo80(m): 7:18pm On Oct 22, 2018
I'm going to go down as THE most successful Nigerian author of my time.

1 Like

Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by adioolayi(m): 7:29pm On Oct 22, 2018
Holymann:

Last time i checked, "talk is cheap" also means you can't do it.
Yes...you are right... I just don't want to be believe Nnedi is saying she no fit do am
Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by boringnigerian: 7:32pm On Oct 22, 2018
I guess people would read meaning based on their personalities.

Pessimists would take it to mean it would never happen or it's impossible.

Optimists would see it as meaning it won't be easy and it won't come by just saying it. If you want it, you would have to work for it.

Which are you?

1 Like

Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by calliope(f): 7:42pm On Oct 22, 2018
Rumicarter:
Nnedi is blunt like that o but I love her. She's a great writer. I think she's underrated sef.
@bold or overrated? Her books bore me out. It wouldn't hurt if she said something encouraging to that young lad, but this is Nigeria where writers and readers alike backbite and tear each other down. She was mean not blunt.
Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by Rstc: 8:15pm On Oct 22, 2018
calliope:

@bold or overrated? Her books bore me out. It wouldn't hurt if she said something encouraging to that young lad, but this is Nigeria where writers and readers alike backbite and tear each other down. She was mean not blunt.
She is underrated.
Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by AdorableJosh(m): 8:33pm On Oct 22, 2018
Rstc:

She is underrated.

Lmao pls, Nnedi is overrated.
Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by calliope(f): 8:35pm On Oct 22, 2018
AdorableJosh:

Lmao pls, Nnedi is overrated.
I guess, I am not the only one now.
Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by holawhale333(m): 8:37pm On Oct 22, 2018
who this one help���
Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by AdorableJosh(m): 8:38pm On Oct 22, 2018
calliope:

I guess, I am not the only one now.

No you're not, I tried to like her books, I really did, but nah, they are not for me.
Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by blujoi(m): 3:26am On Oct 23, 2018
Lol, the reason I think Twitter is more civil is because it’s not completedly anonymous, so everyone is on their ‘good behavior’ mode unlike Nairaland where every teenager with an opinion and access to cheap data can open multiple monikers and spew trash without any repercussions. I could be wrong though

okwabayi:
Wait o, I didn't see any random insults or 'hmm' replies. Is one trying to tell me the IQ on Nigerian Twitter is higher than here?
All I see is a civil discussion, something which hardly exists here.

3 Likes

Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by Nobody: 7:05am On Oct 23, 2018
ictjobber:
Women are their own problems

Abegii
Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by CarLy001: 1:23pm On Oct 23, 2018
[color=#000099][/color]
To some persons...the statement “Talk is cheap” builds a motivation, but not when used on a social media. It becomes a public morale killer. undecided undecided

Fierce11:
There's nothing like "just do it" or any "motivation" in what she wrote,, her reply was the usual damage control done by foolish celebrities.
YOU: "I'm gonna be great".
ME: "Talk is cheap".
That's a terrible morale killer.
Talk is cheap.. I know.. But sense is cheaper..
Unfortunately, Nnedi could not afford it.
Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by Fierce11: 1:58pm On Oct 23, 2018
CarLy001:
[color=#000099][/color]
To some persons...the statement “Talk is cheap” builds a motivation, but not when used on a social media. It becomes a public morale killer. undecided undecided

Exactly.. When said physically, it can build morale.. Provided that its said with some 'humour'..
"Talk is cheap ooo.".. That one is better than the plain statement. But Nnedi just ended up sounding rude.
Re: Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' by EmperorShizzy: 12:21pm On Apr 08, 2020
AdorableJosh:

No you're not, I tried to like her books, I really did, but nah, they are not for me.
Like seriously, her book is for daydreamers dwelling in make believe utopia. More like kids or adult-kids

(1) (2) (Reply)

​Where Is The Third Answer?- A Review Of Juliana Olayode's (Toyo's) 'Rebirth' / Intellectual Property Removed At Owner's Request / A BEAUTIFUL FOE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.