Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,375 members, 7,850,350 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 07:21 PM

Which Way Nlng? - Jobs/Vacancies (103) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Which Way Nlng? (211411 Views)

GMAT BOOKS,NLNG,DRAGNET,SHL,SHELL,EDITABLE RESUME TEMPLATES,RESUME MAKER PRO(PC) / Careers At Nlng Recruitment Of Graduate Trainees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) ... (152) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Way Nlng? by aniffy4eva(m): 2:52pm On Feb 28, 2008
@ Kenosky

kenosky:

[size=13pt]IF I HEAR ONE MORE BANTER OVER DIS EMEAGWALI (WHO IM B SELF? NA NAME OF CAR?) AGAIN- I GO angry AND IF I VEX, SOMEBODY MUST TO cry COS I NO GO FIND AM grin. UNA HEAR MI SO ? GOOD MORNING TO ALL OF UNU PEOPLE? HAVE A LOVELY WEEKEND AHEAD AND TGIF (THANK GOD ITS FRIDAY! kiss) [/size]

, I almost believed you when you said today na FRIDAY, tongue

Meanwhile i miss your presence @ "OUR" blog, wink
www.folayemianifowoshe.

@ pak

How u dey?

@ Opoks!

opokonwa:

@Kuwena
No point going back and forth.
This talk ain't about you and you alone.
Neither is it about you and I alone.

I'm as pissed off with the calibre of leaders that this country has produced up till date.
If they are not stealing from the home front, they are ignoring the country from the foreign scene.

If they are so good and become high achievers, they are thinking of themselves only embarassed
It is for themselves, pockets, bellies and nuclear families only.

And when I see the same trend from our generation, even before opportunites open to us, I get more pissed angry
Where are we going?

We need to start thinking beyond our present comforts. and personal gains.
If we get the thoughts right, then we may get the actions right when power and opportunities open to us.
And those times are coming!

Nice one,

Yo' shinai Yo' kangai, (Good thinking, Good product), grin
Re: Which Way Nlng? by adrianic: 4:46pm On Feb 28, 2008
guys,
its been a really long time.congrats on our entry into the centennial page.

kuwena,congrats.ur dreams are gradually coming true

kenosky,no vex for ur guy.i dey hussle now like mad.time no too dey again.

opoks nwanne,thanks for all d encouragement.

tommyex, we go reach there.

sorry guys dt i have missed all the action in a long while.i have gone back to the practice of law.now work with a chamber.its a pretty tough job that leaves little or no room for recreation.make una no vexfor una guy.really hope and pray that it will be well with all of us.

take kia all
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kenosky: 8:05pm On Feb 28, 2008
opokonwa:

Oga Kenosky, you blame me?
I never experienced any tremor in my life, so I wouldn't know embarassed
Thank God you're still alive 'cause no be ghost dey post grin
But don't turn it into an earthquake yet, the news say na tremor grin

where u for get ur own gist so opoks baba? 5.3 na tremor? afterall d same news na im report say people die when na only one major injury dem report. Guy, stop reading the Sun newspapers o

No bickerings; just a healthy argument that has a potential of raising some nerves.

[size=13pt]if u wan raise nerves through healthy arguments- pally, it doznt av to involve emeagwali- let the man b![/size]
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kenosky: 8:10pm On Feb 28, 2008
pak:

Kenosky Sorry O!,
e be like say the tremor affected you a wee bit grin
why are you thanking God for Friday on a Thursday?
Softly O my brother

WORD! u with opoks na guru- i wanted to c how many couldnt wait for saturday! grin cheesy, kai menini, una smart no b small o!

@all
How una dey

i believe say dem go dey fine
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 8:10pm On Feb 28, 2008
Today is a very emotional day for me. Every 28th of February is. On this very day four years ago, I took the most radical decision of my whole life. How did it begin? And so it happens that since after February 28, 2004 I have had to mark that day as a recurring anniversary. I usually go to a fast food joint, or cook myself a meal to mark it. Today I went with a friend to Mr. Bigg's.

On February 28, 2004 I sat on my mattress on the floor of my room in my uncle's house at Owerri. I relived my past, my present and my future, and all I saw was darkness. So I got up, in the insanity of anger and picked my small travel bag; then I walked up to my so-called uncle in the sitting room. I told him: 'I am leaving; I am leaving your house for good.' He looked at me awhile, and then threw his head back and laughed loud and good. Then he said, 'Your father thought he was a disciplined man, that he was discipline itself. Where is he today? Is he not six feet in the grave? And you are going the same way!' I retorted: 'Back to sender.' And with that, I was on my way, out into the world.

Life seemed to be giving me a choice between two alternatives: have a family and be unsuccessful all through life, or forsake your family and thrive. I chose the latter. That fateful day, when I walked out on family, I chose to be successful, even if it meant sacrificing them. And I have not looked back.

When I left, I had nowhere to go to, but somehow, I had to keep running, and that race has now lasted four years. Still I am not tired. In Igbo culture we say, oso ndu anaghi agwu ike (the race of life is not tiring). And I will continue to run, as far as my legs will take me. Away from mediocrity, away from poverty; away from death.

How did I realize I had to run? From the day I set foot to live in that house in 1996, till the day I ran in 2004, life never seemed to go straight; but from the day I ran until now, life has advanced; in these four years, I have graduated, served and begun working. As if everything is starting afresh again, after all the pervasive darkness, of dropping out of both FUTO and the seminary, and all the other frustrations besides. And life is all an adventure now; an intriguing movie. Exciting, terrifying, almost unreal; yet I go on living.

The climax of the suffering under the oppression of my extended family was an event that took place on 15th November, 2003; the Rat episode; it is written in Ninety Negro Numbers, and an excerpt copied directly from the manuscript is afforded below:

It was ten at night when the fiend came home that day. As usual, I was still studying on the verandah. He called me to lock the gates. We all went to bed. Suddenly, I awoke.  There was a rat on my chest! I was horrified. At once, it jumped off and tried to get out through the window; it was locked. Then the mouse tried the side door; it was stuffed underneath with paper. Then it stayed still, unable to escape. I stared at it, and then opened the main door and spoke, ‘Leave.’

As if the rat perfectly understood English, it walked straight out the door, neither swerving left nor right. I felt enough was enough. This juju manipulation had to stop. I began to pray. I prayed long and hard, from twelve midnight to broad daylight morning.  At the final amen, I opened the curtains and the sun greeted me. I stepped out of my room and grabbed a bucket to go wash my so-called uncle’s car. Usually, every morning, I would wash his car, sweep the verandah and finally rake the compound. This morning, however, after washing the car, I was going to drop the bucket when the fiend, Ambrose Chukwuma Nze, confronted me. He asked what I had been doing all through the night. I told him about the rat, and that I had been praying, and he at once declared I wanted to kill him! I asked him if he was the rat. He said for me to keep shut, that I was wicked, and that he was going to tell everybody that I wanted to kill him, an ungrateful fellow I was.
‘So you want to kill me,’ he sniffed.
                I said nothing.
‘You told me that I would die, my children would cry; you would be laughing and burying me.’
‘Really? When?’
‘Shut up! Ungrateful boy, you also said that the Nze family would fall, and only you would stand.’
    ‘Me?’
‘Keep quiet, O keep quiet you wicked boy! So you want to kill me, because I killed your father?’ And he turned his face away.

Was this a revelation or something? Had this beast actually killed Patrick Azunna Nze, his immediate elder brother?  He continued to mutter, and I to stare at him.  Jesus, what was happening?

Reader, pray never to experience what I did after that day.  He began carrying his double-barreled gun about whenever I was in the house. He refused me to wash his car, to sweep the verandah or to rake the grounds. Once when I tried to take the rake from him, he shuddered and shifted. ‘Leave me-o! Leave me!’

And the nightmares? The poisonings – O my God! I probably died seven times over, but then a cat has nine lives, and my yahoo avatar is the bespectacled feline. I bear a charmed life. Odieshi!  If you buy my soon-to-be-published autobiographical novel, you will get the details.  It is a long, long, very long and intriguing story, my whole life.

This, you must know, is my favorite number. I am not a musician myself, but I have long converted it to a song, to be played on the drums, with the samba dance. The rhythm is so obvious that any fool can make a song of the piece, and a lively one at that.

After making the poem a spirited song, the next is to get drummers and shekere players, who should play with gusto. Then, the making of the mimers: Get a middle aged, black man to play Ambrose, and also a set of dancers, maybe twelve or so, all dressed in traditional African dance attire. The drummers and the shekere players (and if you can mange wind instruments too, get flutists) are all positioned at a corner of the stage, playing and producing veritable beat. Then enter the lad who hops onto the stage and begins to dance. O dear, how do I describe the particular dance I have in mind? He pushes out his chest at the words ‘with rat on my chest’ and sucks it in again; then he kicks his feet, and mimes a prayer session in dance (do you get the picture?), and then he moves three or four paces back, grabs a bucket, tosses it up and flings it aside; then his dance steps become more regular, mostly shoulder and hip movements consonating with the music of the instruments. At the point after the first two stanzas, when he begins to question the fiend who, all this while has stood still, head bowed and arms folded across his chest,

Am I to kill you to make meat for soup
                                        Am I to kill you to use as kpomo?

he turns to face the middle aged man, who jerks in turn to face the lad. At once, the other dancers fall in behind the boy, dancing synchronously, hands pushed out at the fiend in accusatory stance, bodies moving expertly to the beat. They advance one or two paces, and the fiend shifts back in fear. After the word, kpomo, the dancers step off the stage expertly and neatly, and the fiend points at the lad who is now facing him still dancing defiantly, even if now alone:

He pointed at me and grit his brown teeth
                       He began to say all what I had not.

The man’s mouth does move, but of course it is the lad who is singing. After the next set of lines,

That he would soon die, his children would cry
                   The Nze’s would fall and I alone stand,

has been mimed and sung, the dancers come again and fall in behind the lad, stretching their hands towards the fiend, singing and dancing to the beat:

Am I a dreamer, saying this and that
                                                   Am I a dreamer that you hear me foul?

And after the word, ‘foul,’ they hop off stage again. This becomes the repeated procedure: the lad and the man mime the activity in each set of two stanzas, the lad singing and dancing, the man on the defensive; and at every refrain, the dancing group hops onto the stage to join the lad in challenging his enemy with rhetorical questions.  The drums and other musical instruments play on; dancing endures with singing till the end. Curtains.

You Want to Kill Me

With rat on my chest
I had to pray hard
I pleaded with God
From midnight till dawn

I grabbed a bucket
To rub down his car
But this man intoned
You want to kill me

Am I to kill you
To make meat for soup
Am I to kill you
To use as kpomo?

He pointed at me
And grit his brown teeth
He began to say
All what I had not

That he would soon die
His children would cry
The Nzes would fall
And I alone stand

Am I a dreamer
Saying this and that
Am I a dreamer
That you hear me foul?

He said to keep shut
That I was wicked
He'd tell the whole world
I needed him dead

He fetched his dane gun
To keep at his side
That when I was near
He'd ward off the threat

Am I an uze
To keep me a gun
Am I an uze
The type you shoot at?

He quarreled with me
And sent me demons
Concoctions and spells
Witches and devils

He called a dibah
To poison my food
He fashioned a charm
To secure my death

Do you want my corpse
For sniffing the ooze
Do you want my corpse
For drinking the blood?

I had to escape
I couldn't stay on
He was determined
To ensure my doom

I packed up my bag
And made for the road
I would change my name
To Munachukwu

Is kinship by force
When you want me dead
Is kinship by force
With God on my side?

I was a free man
Now so for three years
I left them for good
Never to return

I did suffer much
I wept and I pained
I did everything
To eke out a life

Am I not to live
In my own country
Am I not to live
In my fatherland?

But I didn't lose
See how much I've grown
My chest fends the wind
O stay back, I say!

Assurance increased
I face the wild west
Ready for all things
Because I'm a man

Am I not Negroid
The eye of the sun
Am I not Negroid
The hope of the world?

(Cf Ninety Negro Numbers, pages 67-72)

I wish myself a happy fourth year anniversary of liberation. Amen.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kenosky: 8:13pm On Feb 28, 2008
adrianic:

guys,
its been a really long time.congrats on our entry into the centennial page.

d understatement of the century!

kenosky,no vex for your guy.i dey hussle now like mad.time no too dey again.

eh ya, good to know u r doin great sha!
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kenosky: 8:18pm On Feb 28, 2008
kuwena:

Today is a very emotional day for me. Every 28th of February is. On this very day four years ago, I took the most radical decision of my whole life. How did it begin? And so it happens that since after February 28, 2004 I have had to mark that day as a recurring anniversary. I usually go to a fast food joint, or cook myself a meal to mark it. Today I went with a friend to Mr. Bigg's.

On February 28, 2004 I sat on my mattress on the floor of my room in my uncle's house at Owerri. I relived my past, my present and my future, and all I saw was darkness. So I got up, in the insanity of anger and picked my small travel bag; then I walked up to my so-called uncle in the sitting room. I told him: 'I am leaving; I am leaving your house for good.' He looked at me awhile, and then threw his head back and laughed loud and good. Then he said, 'Your father thought he was a disciplined man, that he was discipline itself. Where is he today? Is he not six feet in the grave? And you are going the same way!' I retorted: 'Back to sender.' And with that, I was on my way, out into the world.

Life seemed to be giving me a choice between two alternatives: have a family and be unsuccessful all through life, or forsake your family and thrive. I chose the latter. That fateful day, when I walked out on family, I chose to be successful, even if it meant sacrificing them. And I have not looked back.

When I left, I had nowhere to go to, but somehow, I had to keep running, and that race has now lasted four years. Still I am not tired. In Igbo culture we say, oso ndu anaghi agwu ike (the race of life is not tiring). And I will continue to run, as far as my legs will take me. Away from mediocrity, away from poverty; away from death.

How did I realize I had to run? From the day I set foot to live in that house in 1996, till the day I ran in 2004, life never seemed to go straight; but from the day I ran until now, life has advanced; in these four years, I have graduated, served and begun working. As if everything is starting afresh again, after all the pervasive darkness, of dropping out of both FUTO and the seminary, and all the other frustrations besides. And life is all an adventure now; an intriguing movie. Exciting, terrifying, almost unreal; yet I go on living.

The climax of the suffering under the oppression of my extended family was an event that took place on 15th November, 2003; the Rat episode; it is written in Ninety Negro Numbers, and an excerpt copied directly from the manuscript is afforded below:

It was ten at night when the fiend came home that day. As usual, I was still studying on the verandah. He called me to lock the gates. We all went to bed. Suddenly, I awoke. There was a rat on my chest! I was horrified. At once, it jumped off and tried to get out through the window; it was locked. Then the mouse tried the side door; it was stuffed underneath with paper. Then it stayed still, unable to escape. I stared at it, and then opened the main door and spoke, ‘Leave.’

As if the rat perfectly understood English, it walked straight out the door, neither swerving left nor right. I felt enough was enough. This juju manipulation had to stop. I began to pray. I prayed long and hard, from twelve midnight to broad daylight morning. At the final amen, I opened the curtains and the sun greeted me. I stepped out of my room and grabbed a bucket to go wash my so-called uncle’s car. Usually, every morning, I would wash his car, sweep the verandah and finally rake the compound. This morning, however, after washing the car, I was going to drop the bucket when the fiend, Ambrose Chukwuma Nze, confronted me. He asked what I had been doing all through the night. I told him about the rat, and that I had been praying, and he at once declared I wanted to kill him! I asked him if he was the rat. He said for me to keep shut, that I was wicked, and that he was going to tell everybody that I wanted to kill him, an ungrateful fellow I was.
I said nothing.
‘You told me that I would die, my children would cry; you would be laughing and burying me.’
‘Really? When?’
‘Shut up! Ungrateful boy, you also said that the Nze family would fall, and only you would stand.’
‘Me?’
‘Keep quiet, O keep quiet you wicked boy! So you want to kill me, because I killed your father?’ And he turned his face away.

Was this a revelation or something? Had this beast actually killed Patrick Azunna Nze, his immediate elder brother? He continued to mutter, and I to stare at him. Jesus, what was happening?

Reader, pray never to experience what I did after that day. He began carrying his double-barreled gun about whenever I was in the house. He refused me to wash his car, to sweep the verandah or to rake the grounds. Once when I tried to take the rake from him, he shuddered and shifted. ‘Leave me-o! Leave me!’

And the nightmares? The poisonings – O my God! I probably died seven times over, but then a cat has nine lives, and my yahoo avatar is the bespectacled feline. I bear a charmed life. Odieshi! If you buy my soon-to-be-published autobiographical novel, you will get the details. It is a long, long, very long and intriguing story, my whole life.

This, you must know, is my favorite number. I am not a musician myself, but I have long converted it to a song, to be played on the drums, with the samba dance. The rhythm is so obvious that any fool can make a song of the piece, and a lively one at that.

After making the poem a spirited song, the next is to get drummers and shekere players, who should play with gusto. Then, the making of the mimers: Get a middle aged, black man to play Ambrose, and also a set of dancers, maybe twelve or so, all dressed in traditional African dance attire. The drummers and the shekere players (and if you can mange wind instruments too, get flutists) are all positioned at a corner of the stage, playing and producing veritable beat. Then enter the lad who hops onto the stage and begins to dance. O dear, how do I describe the particular dance I have in mind? He pushes out his chest at the words ‘with rat on my chest’ and sucks it in again; then he kicks his feet, and mimes a prayer session in dance (do you get the picture?), and then he moves three or four paces back, grabs a bucket, tosses it up and flings it aside; then his dance steps become more regular, mostly shoulder and hip movements consonating with the music of the instruments. At the point after the first two stanzas, when he begins to question the fiend who, all this while has stood still, head bowed and arms folded across his chest,

he turns to face the middle aged man, who jerks in turn to face the lad. At once, the other dancers fall in behind the boy, dancing synchronously, hands pushed out at the fiend in accusatory stance, bodies moving expertly to the beat. They advance one or two paces, and the fiend shifts back in fear. After the word, kpomo, the dancers step off the stage expertly and neatly, and the fiend points at the lad who is now facing him still dancing defiantly, even if now alone:

The man’s mouth does move, but of course it is the lad who is singing. After the next set of lines,

has been mimed and sung, the dancers come again and fall in behind the lad, stretching their hands towards the fiend, singing and dancing to the beat:

And after the word, ‘foul,’ they hop off stage again. This becomes the repeated procedure: the lad and the man mime the activity in each set of two stanzas, the lad singing and dancing, the man on the defensive; and at every refrain, the dancing group hops onto the stage to join the lad in challenging his enemy with rhetorical questions. The drums and other musical instruments play on; dancing endures with singing till the end. Curtains.

You Want to Kill Me

With rat on my chest
I had to pray hard
I pleaded with God
From midnight till dawn

I grabbed a bucket
To rub down his car
But this man intoned
You want to kill me

Am I to kill you
To make meat for soup
Am I to kill you
To use as kpomo?

He pointed at me
And grit his brown teeth
He began to say
All what I had not

That he would soon die
His children would cry
The Nzes would fall
And I alone stand

Am I a dreamer
Saying this and that
Am I a dreamer
That you hear me foul?

He said to keep shut
That I was wicked
I needed him dead

He fetched his dane gun
To keep at his side
That when I was near
He'd ward off the threat

Am I an uze
To keep me a gun
Am I an uze
The type you shoot at?

He quarreled with me
And sent me demons
Concoctions and spells
Witches and devils

He called a dibah
To poison my food
He fashioned a charm
To secure my death

Do you want my corpse
For sniffing the ooze
Do you want my corpse
For drinking the blood?

I had to escape
I couldn't stay on
He was determined
To ensure my doom

I packed up my bag
And made for the road
I would change my name
To Munachukwu

Is kinship by force
When you want me dead
Is kinship by force
With God on my side?

I was a free man
Now so for three years
I left them for good
Never to return

I did suffer much
I wept and I pained
I did everything
To eke out a life

Am I not to live
In my own country
Am I not to live
In my fatherland?

But I didn't lose
See how much I've grown
My chest fends the wind
O stay back, I say!

Assurance increased
I face the wild west
Ready for all things
Because I'm a man

Am I not Negroid
The eye of the sun
Am I not Negroid
The hope of the world?

MAY THE GOOD LORD ORDER UR STEPS. ISE!
Re: Which Way Nlng? by tommyex(m): 8:19pm On Feb 28, 2008
Ken
no mind them jare,them muscle dey move them,anyway I don't mind you bringin a healthy fight with me,make we flex

Opoks
ehyah! sorry o,my sins may get more,but i hope u ll forgive as God does.

Kuwena
happy birthday/happy good day
i actualy read most of it,but weak eyes 2 show 4 it,nice post/story!
Re: Which Way Nlng? by tommyex(m): 8:20pm On Feb 28, 2008
Uncle KEN
i weak for you oo,did u really need 2 quote that story again?
Re: Which Way Nlng? by trinitech(m): 9:27pm On Feb 28, 2008
Hi guys.
hope you engineers et'all are having fun, and learning too.

Here's some of my thoughts. Hope you find it interesting; and you can access a lot more interesting content at www.adetayo..com

Prince Harry in Afghanistan! Classic Leadership / MBWA example

Tom Peters, alumnus of the management consulting firm of McKinsey & Company and one of today's best known and highest paid management gurus, first came to prominence in 1982 with his ‘knock-out’ book; In Search of Excellence. This thought-provoking classic provided us with many valuable lessons from America's Best-Run Companies.

In his first book, Peters introduced us to the key concept of MBWA (Management By Wandering Around). MBWA does not mean leaving your responsibilities behind as you stroll through the nearest shopping mall. According to him, to "wander" with customers and vendors and our own people, is to be in touch with the first vibrations of the new. Pretty self explanatory!

To illustrate: in our highly digitised natural gas processing plant, we have sensors that are connected to and closely monitor all plant conditions (pressure, temperature…e.t.c) and give instant feedback to enable instant response in emergencies. (Our plants are multi-billion dollar metals that deserve world-class monitoring and protection)
A key characteristic of effective leadership is its ability to detect changes in the eco-system and execute a seamless transition program that responds appropriately.

The nexus between MBWA and Prince Harry should be quite clear now. What on earth would a Royal and possible heir to the throne (King of England) be doing in war front you might ask (and I asked too!), particularly in a country notorious for insurgency, a drug-based economy and base for international terrorism Harry has spent about 10 weeks there now, and seems to be enjoying the experience of rendering service to his nation.

No pun intended, but you and I would quite agree that this isn’t a frequent occurrence in Nigeria, and by extension Africa (Where so-called leaders live in fortresses, and claim to defend the plight of the poor by ruling from those same palaces).
Harry has often been portrayed as the black sheep of the family, but his recent accomplishments speak volumes. The decision of the Royal family to allow their son to pursue his dreams also deserves applaud.

I believe Leadership largely involves experiencing and possessing the ability to relate to what every other person feels. If I can’t empathize with you, and relate with you on your level, why should I qualify to lead you?

Rick Warren in his classic “purpose driven life” talks about the strategy adopted by Saddleback, His Church. He says people who have had terrible experiences in the past, but overcame them (by God’s help of course!) are commissioned to lead and coordinate ministry arms that reach out to youths and others experiencing the same pain. In essence, the fact that you experienced and overcame a particular challenge puts you in a much better position to rescue those having similar experiences.

It’s not cast in stone that you must be an ex-evil (or have had a terrible experience) to help others, but the truth is adversity fortifies and places one in better stead to help others overcome. (I guess if Christ himself had to shed eternal glory momentarily and endure unimaginable pain to save us, then any serious minded leader must be willing to identify with his constituency)

And one more example: Barack Obama – I’m not exactly a fan, but I believe his life experiences, humble beginnings and past voluntary work have significantly aided his campaign. People are naturally drawn to those they view as having the ability to understand their needs and view points. God help Hillary as the Obama Machine seems to have stockpiles of ammo and WMDs that could keep up with the annihilation.

From a business perspective, David Packard had this to say about MBWA:

Straightforward as it sounds, there are some subtleties and requirements that go with MBWA, if it's done reluctantly or infrequently, it just won't work. It needs to be frequent, friendly, unfocused, and unscheduled—but far from pointless.

Here are some tips on how to practice MBWA:

Include affected employees / team members in goal setting.
Give frequent and meaningful recognition for a job well done.
Interact with employees on an informal basis.
Go to staff's work area. Meet them on their own turf.
Ask for staff's opinions and listen with an open mind.
Share non-confidential information with staff.
Offset demoralizing actions and events by emphasizing what went well
Listen 80% of the time and talk 20%.
MBWA works best when you are genuinely interested in people / employees and in their work and when they see you as being there to listen.

Time to add some credentials to our names folks! Check this out:
Adetayo Bamiduro, MBWA (Pretty cool! or what do you think)
Re: Which Way Nlng? by skeelo: 10:03pm On Feb 28, 2008
kuwena:

It was ten at night when the fiend came home that day. As usual, I was still studying on the verandah. He called me to lock the gates. We all went to bed. Suddenly, I awoke. There was a rat on my chest! I was horrified. At once, it jumped off and tried to get out through the window; it was locked. Then the mouse tried the side door; it was stuffed underneath with paper. Then it stayed still, unable to escape. I stared at it, and then opened the main door and spoke, ‘Leave.’

As if the rat perfectly understood English, it walked straight out the door, neither swerving left nor right. I felt enough was enough. This juju manipulation had to stop. I began to pray. I prayed long and hard, from twelve midnight to broad daylight morning. At the final amen, I opened the curtains and the sun greeted me. I stepped out of my room and grabbed a bucket to go wash my so-called uncle’s car. Usually, every morning, I would wash his car, sweep the verandah and finally rake the compound. This morning, however, after washing the car, I was going to drop the bucket when the fiend, Ambrose Chukwuma Nze, confronted me. He asked what I had been doing all through the night. I told him about the rat, and that I had been praying, and he at once declared I wanted to kill him! I asked him if he was the rat. He said for me to keep shut, that I was wicked, and that he was going to tell everybody that I wanted to kill him, an ungrateful fellow I was.
I said nothing.
‘Really? When?’
‘Me?’

Was this a revelation or something? Had this beast actually killed Patrick Azunna Nze, his immediate elder brother? He continued to mutter, and I to stare at him. Jesus, what was happening?

Reader, pray never to experience what I did after that day. He began carrying his double-barreled gun about whenever I was in the house. He refused me to wash his car, to sweep the verandah or to rake the grounds. Once when I tried to take the rake from him, he shuddered and shifted. ‘Leave me-o! Leave me!’

And the nightmares? The poisonings – O my God! I probably died seven times over, but then a cat has nine lives, and my yahoo avatar is the bespectacled feline. I bear a charmed life. Odieshi! If you buy my soon-to-be-published autobiographical novel, you will get the details. It is a long, long, very long and intriguing story, my whole life.

And after the word, ‘foul,’ they hop off stage again. This becomes the repeated procedure: the lad and the man mime the activity in each set of two stanzas, the lad singing and dancing, the man on the defensive; and at every refrain, the dancing group hops onto the stage to join the lad in challenging his enemy with rhetorical questions. The drums and other musical instruments play on; dancing endures with singing till the end. Curtains.

You Want to Kill Me

With rat on my chest
I had to pray hard
I pleaded with God
From midnight till dawn

I grabbed a bucket
To rub down his car
But this man intoned
You want to kill me

Am I to kill you
To make meat for soup
Am I to kill you
To use as kpomo?

He pointed at me
And grit his brown teeth
He began to say
All what I had not

That he would soon die
His children would cry
The Nzes would fall
And I alone stand

Am I a dreamer
Saying this and that
Am I a dreamer
That you hear me foul?

He said to keep shut
That I was wicked
I needed him dead

He fetched his dane gun
To keep at his side
That when I was near
He'd ward off the threat

Am I an uze
To keep me a gun
Am I an uze
The type you shoot at?

He quarreled with me
And sent me demons
Concoctions and spells
Witches and devils

He called a dibah
To poison my food
He fashioned a charm
To secure my death

Do you want my corpse
For sniffing the ooze
Do you want my corpse
For drinking the blood?

I had to escape
I couldn't stay on
He was determined
To ensure my doom

I packed up my bag
And made for the road
I would change my name
To Munachukwu

Is kinship by force
When you want me dead
Is kinship by force
With God on my side?

I was a free man
Now so for three years
I left them for good
Never to return

I did suffer much
I wept and I pained
I did everything
To eke out a life

Am I not to live
In my own country
Am I not to live
In my fatherland?

But I didn't lose
See how much I've grown
My chest fends the wind
O stay back, I say!

Assurance increased
I face the wild west
Ready for all things
Because I'm a man

Am I not Negroid
The eye of the sun
Am I not Negroid
The hope of the world?

@ kwena
[size=48pt]hapi birthday[/size], bros
wish u many years to com
slp tyt
Re: Which Way Nlng? by skeelo: 10:28pm On Feb 28, 2008
trinitech:

Hi guys.

Here's some of my thoughts. Hope you find it interesting; and you can access a lot more interesting content at www.adetayo..com

Tom Peters, alumnus of the management consulting firm of McKinsey & Company and one of today's best known and highest paid management gurus, first came to prominence in 1982 with his ‘knock-out’ book; In Search of Excellence. This thought-provoking classic provided us with many valuable lessons from America's Best-Run Companies.

In his first book, Peters introduced us to the key concept of MBWA (Management By Wandering Around). MBWA does not mean leaving your responsibilities behind as you stroll through the nearest shopping mall. According to him, to "wander" with customers and vendors and our own people, is to be in touch with the first vibrations of the new. Pretty self explanatory!

To illustrate: in our highly digitised natural gas processing plant, we have sensors that are connected to and closely monitor all plant conditions (pressure, temperature…e.t.c) and give instant feedback to enable instant response in emergencies. (Our plants are multi-billion dollar metals that deserve world-class monitoring and protection)
A key characteristic of effective leadership is its ability to detect changes in the eco-system and execute a seamless transition program that responds appropriately.

The nexus between MBWA and Prince Harry should be quite clear now. What on earth would a Royal and possible heir to the throne (King of England) be doing in war front you might ask (and I asked too!), particularly in a country notorious for insurgency, a drug-based economy and base for international terrorism Harry has spent about 10 weeks there now, and seems to be enjoying the experience of rendering service to his nation.

No pun intended, but you and I would quite agree that this isn’t a frequent occurrence in Nigeria, and by extension Africa (Where so-called leaders live in fortresses, and claim to defend the plight of the poor by ruling from those same palaces).
Harry has often been portrayed as the black sheep of the family, but his recent accomplishments speak volumes. The decision of the Royal family to allow their son to pursue his dreams also deserves applaud.

I believe Leadership largely involves experiencing and possessing the ability to relate to what every other person feels. If I can’t empathize with you, and relate with you on your level, why should I qualify to lead you?

Rick Warren in his classic “purpose driven life” talks about the strategy adopted by Saddleback, His Church. He says people who have had terrible experiences in the past, but overcame them (by God’s help of course!) are commissioned to lead and coordinate ministry arms that reach out to youths and others experiencing the same pain. In essence, the fact that you experienced and overcame a particular challenge puts you in a much better position to rescue those having similar experiences.

It’s not cast in stone that you must be an ex-evil (or have had a terrible experience) to help others, but the truth is adversity fortifies and places one in better stead to help others overcome. (I guess if Christ himself had to shed eternal glory momentarily and endure unimaginable pain to save us, then any serious minded leader must be willing to identify with his constituency)

And one more example: Barack Obama – I’m not exactly a fan, but I believe his life experiences, humble beginnings and past voluntary work have significantly aided his campaign. People are naturally drawn to those they view as having the ability to understand their needs and view points. God help Hillary as the Obama Machine seems to have stockpiles of ammo and WMDs that could keep up with the annihilation.

Straightforward as it sounds, there are some subtleties and requirements that go with MBWA, if it's done reluctantly or infrequently, it just won't work. It needs to be frequent, friendly, unfocused, and unscheduled—but far from pointless.

MBWA works best when you are genuinely interested in people / employees and in their work and when they see you as being there to listen.

@trinitech,
na wa o,where r for show from?na only God sabi, anyhow welcome and enjoy
Re: Which Way Nlng? by AlfaPrime: 10:47pm On Feb 28, 2008
I thank you all. When I was a Christian, one of the psalms I loved was Psalm 131. In the first part of that psalm, the songist said: 'Yahweh, I am not proud!' I second him. Indeed, I am not proud.

I have got admission to do a master's in the course I love best, in a standard American school (name of school deliberately withheld), and am being offered a GTA; but what if I package the admission letter, and the I-20, and my transcript, and all what not, and go to the Embassy and they see all these documents, and still deny me a visa? What then? I would still be back to square one. So I know it is not yet uhuru. NLNG has taught me certain things: Do not count your chicks before they are hatched. And I will not do so. I will patiently begin to plan my embassy interview, with my fingers crossed.

The reason I went all emotional and started saying I would give my life for the USA and all what not is simple. I had just received the letter, and I was ecstatic; but now that I have allowed sufficient time to pass, I can reflect. What touched me about Professor Pat's letter was the language she used. For someone that has just been rejected by NLNG, words like: your credentials are very impressive; you will add greatly to our graduate community here; I look forward to seeing you; you are admitted on full graduate standing; welcome to the Graduate school, and all what not, simply made me feel wanted. I had felt rejected in my own country, and the USA seemed to be welcoming me with open arms; an orphan boy like me. How could I not feel love for them?

Anyway, I know it is not yet Uhuru. I know this too well. Let's see how the big one goes, the embassy battle. That is the big one. The real maccoy!

@Kuwena,

U said, "when U were a Christian", may I ask what U are now?

Am also happy for u that u've calmed down and allowed commonsense to prevail after your initial near-hysteric excitement over the admission. It never ceases to make me wonder silently whenever I see people so excited about leaving our country Nigeria for greener pastures abroad. Guys, my prayer for us all is that we come to the point where travelling to the US or anywhere else will be normal and usual, like a pasttime, not a thing to break our heads over. When I got my letter informing me that I had passed the NLNG test, I injured myself with excitement and nearly lost my life, but it taught me sober lessons. When God in his infinite mercy later blessed me with a much more expensive multi-million naira job, I was much calmer, cos I had realised by then that His plans for me are much greater than even my greatest hopes and dreams. He's indeed a loving God and a great Father!

ANother thing I must say here, Kuwena, (and to all landers) is that we must have a positive attitude to Nigeria. mark my words, and go confirm them on the net, there is NO CRIME, MISFORTUNE, CORRUPTION OR DISCOMFORT that U see in this country, that does not much more abound in the USA. from violent robbery/crime, rape, car-snatching, , name it! I have seen riots and mob action happening on the streets on US (in this 21st century!) over a hit and run driver, it's just that, the truth remains, the system there works far better than our system here, because nearly everyone behaves themselves and respects the rule of law. So please, we still have a future and a hope here. I work with Americans in my company, and many of them have a deep respect for this country, despite the fact that it's obvious our leaders have shortchanged us. One of them once told me quite frankly, that he thinks the NYSC scheme is one thing that makes Nigeria so great and unique. Imagine!

Finally, remain blessed all. Prepare very well for your Visa interview, Kuwena. U may wish to visit the USIS at Broad Street, Lagos, to acquaint yourself on what is required for a successful interview. I want to believe that it's a credible school that's offering the admission, cos, funny enof, there are some American schools whose admission and even scholarship CANNOT get u a scholarship.

Up Landers!!!
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kenosky: 11:13pm On Feb 28, 2008
trinity abi wetin u say your name be! shocked  shocked which kain lengthy mail b this na? carry your tyme o abi u think say this place na dumping ground? lipsrsealed no allow mi  angry for u because i fit make u  sad after u don  cry.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kenosky: 11:18pm On Feb 28, 2008
AlfaPrime:

I thank you all. When I was a Christian, one of the psalms I loved was Psalm 131. In the first part of that psalm, the songist said: 'Yahweh, I am not proud!' I second him. Indeed, I am not proud.

I have got admission to do a master's in the course I love best, in a standard American school (name of school deliberately withheld), and am being offered a GTA; but what if I package the admission letter, and the I-20, and my transcript, and all what not, and go to the Embassy and they see all these documents, and still deny me a visa? What then? I would still be back to square one. So I know it is not yet uhuru. NLNG has taught me certain things: Do not count your chicks before they are hatched. And I will not do so. I will patiently begin to plan my embassy interview, with my fingers crossed.

The reason I went all emotional and started saying I would give my life for the USA and all what not is simple. I had just received the letter, and I was ecstatic; but now that I have allowed sufficient time to pass, I can reflect. What touched me about Professor Pat's letter was the language she used. For someone that has just been rejected by NLNG, words like: your credentials are very impressive; you will add greatly to our graduate community here; I look forward to seeing you; you are admitted on full graduate standing; welcome to the Graduate school, and all what not, simply made me feel wanted. I had felt rejected in my own country, and the USA seemed to be welcoming me with open arms; an orphan boy like me. How could I not feel love for them?

Anyway, I know it is not yet Uhuru. I know this too well. Let's see how the big one goes, the embassy battle. That is the big one. The real maccoy!

@Kuwena,

You said, "when You were a Christian", may I ask what You are now?

Am also happy for u that u've calmed down and allowed commonsense to prevail after your initial near-hysteric excitement over the admission. It never ceases to make me wonder silently whenever I see people so excited about leaving our country Nigeria for greener pastures abroad. Guys, my prayer for us all is that we come to the point where travelling to the US or anywhere else will be normal and usual, like a pasttime, not a thing to break our heads over. When I got my letter informing me that I had passed the NLNG test, I injured myself with excitement and nearly lost my life, but it taught me sober lessons. When God in his infinite mercy later blessed me with a much more expensive multi-million naira job, I was much calmer, because I had realised by then that His plans for me are much greater than even my greatest hopes and dreams. He's indeed a loving God and a great Father!

ANother thing I must say here, Kuwena, (and to all landers) is that we must have a positive attitude to Nigeria. mark my words, and go confirm them on the net, there is NO CRIME, MISFORTUNE, CORRUPTION OR DISCOMFORT that You see in this country, that does not much more abound in the USA. from violent robbery/crime, rape, car-snatching, , name it! I have seen riots and mob action happening on the streets on US (in this 21st century!) over a hit and run driver, it's just that, the truth remains, the system there works far better than our system here, because nearly everyone behaves themselves and respects the rule of law. So please, we still have a future and a hope here. I work with Americans in my company, and many of them have a deep respect for this country, despite the fact that it's obvious our leaders have shortchanged us. One of them once told me quite frankly, that he thinks the NYSC scheme is one thing that makes Nigeria so great and unique. Imagine!

Finally, remain blessed all. Prepare very well for your Visa interview, Kuwena. You may wish to visit the USIS at Broad Street, Lagos, to acquaint yourself on what is required for a successful interview. I want to believe that it's a credible school that's offering the admission, because, funny enof, there are some American schools whose admission and even scholarship CANNOT get u a scholarship.

Up Landers!!!

WORD! ALFA PRIME KUDOS lipsrsealed
Re: Which Way Nlng? by skeelo: 11:32pm On Feb 28, 2008
AlfaPrime:

@Kuwena,

Am also happy for u that u've calmed down and allowed commonsense to prevail after your initial near-hysteric excitement over the admission. It never ceases to make me wonder silently whenever I see people so excited about leaving our country Nigeria for greener pastures abroad. Guys, my prayer for us all is that we come to the point where travelling to the US or anywhere else will be normal and usual, like a pasttime, not a thing to break our heads over. When I got my letter informing me that I had passed the NLNG test, I injured myself with excitement and nearly lost my life, but it taught me sober lessons. When God in his infinite mercy later blessed me with a much more expensive multi-million naira job, I was much calmer, because I had realised by then that His plans for me are much greater than even my greatest hopes and dreams. He's indeed a loving God and a great Father!

ANother thing I must say here, Kuwena, (and to all landers) is that we must have a positive attitude to Nigeria. mark my words, and go confirm them on the net, there is NO CRIME, MISFORTUNE, CORRUPTION OR DISCOMFORT that You see in this country, that does not much more abound in the USA. from violent robbery/crime, rape, car-snatching, , name it! I have seen riots and mob action happening on the streets on US (in this 21st century!) over a hit and run driver, it's just that, the truth remains, the system there works far better than our system here, because nearly everyone behaves themselves and respects the rule of law. So please, we still have a future and a hope here. I work with Americans in my company, and many of them have a deep respect for this country, despite the fact that it's obvious our leaders have shortchanged us. One of them once told me quite frankly, that he thinks the NYSC scheme is one thing that makes Nigeria so great and unique. Imagine!

Finally, remain blessed all. Prepare very well for your Visa interview, Kuwena. You may wish to visit the USIS at Broad Street, Lagos, to acquaint yourself on what is required for a successful interview. I want to believe that it's a credible school that's offering the admission, because, funny enof, there are some American schools whose admission and even scholarship CANNOT get u a scholarship.

Up Landers!!!

na wao. this trend don dey full of people and words. after the 100 page anniversary, different things don dey happen.
@ alfaprime, u try well. anyhow just dey post, we go see how many of them go reach the 200- page
Re: Which Way Nlng? by skeelo: 11:34pm On Feb 28, 2008
kenosky:

trinity abi wetin u say your name be! shocked shocked which kain lengthy mail b this na? carry your tyme o abi u think say this place na dumping ground? lipsrsealed no allow mi angry for u because i fit make u sad after u don cry.

@ kenosky
how u dey?i think saay u go post till mid nyt, u tire so,
make me sef go sleep
@ everyone, enjoy and av a nice nyt rest
Re: Which Way Nlng? by skeelo: 12:09am On Feb 29, 2008
tommyex:

Ken
no mind them jare,them muscle dey move them,anyway I don't mind you bringin a healthy fight with me,make we flex

Opoks
ehyah! sorry o,my sins may get more,but i hope u ll forgive as God does.

Kuwena
happy birthday/happy good day
i actualy read most of it,but weak eyes 2 show 4 it,nice post/story!

@ tommyex,
how far?how u dey?wetin u think say go happen for sat , sebi na sat we go get match
anyhow
dey pray say we go win becos that Man U no wan gree#
anyhow enjoy
Re: Which Way Nlng? by tommyex(m): 5:22am On Feb 29, 2008
@ tommyex,
how far?how u dey?wetin u think say go happen for sat , sebi na sat we go get match
anyhow
dey pray say we go win because that Manchester United no wan gree#
anyhow enjoy

I jus hope we score early as we did at villa park,that match will be so hard,cos villa is full of running and we need energy 4 MILAN.
Anyhow God dey,bt i dey fear small sha

Ken
notin do TRINI mail oo,infact i gained frm it,

Trini
welldone bro.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by tommyex(m): 5:38am On Feb 29, 2008
ALFA
that was a hot post man!
well done and thanks alot.
that he thinks the NYSC scheme is one thing that makes Nigeria so great and unique. Imagine!
If they go thru it they will know how dumb it is,esp when u not in lagos or not from a rich home
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kenosky: 9:11am On Feb 29, 2008
Ken
notin do TRINI mail oo,infact i gained frm it,

im for send am to ur mail na! angry

Trini
welldone bro.

i no surprise sha!
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kenosky: 9:19am On Feb 29, 2008
[size=14pt]ciao! cool[/size]
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 12:06pm On Feb 29, 2008
Hi guys.

Your post is well supported.

I also think that certain people experience certain things in life so that they can help others toovercome such horrible experiences.

I know as well that certain scholars have called pain the foundation of religion, that when you feel certain emotional pinches, you are better able to empathize and use your own story of triumph to lead so many other people out of their own sorry situations. This to me is only natural.

Thank you for your enlightening post.

1 Like

Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 12:08pm On Feb 29, 2008
@Kuwena,

Up Landers!!!

Well noted. I promise that the lesson will not be lost.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 12:48pm On Feb 29, 2008
Alfra Prime, I agree with you when you say there are things to be proud about in Nigeria. You know, I think there is something to be proud about in any thing at all. I also want to believe that one day Nigeria will be better. And there are probably some people that are doing all in their power to see that this comes about. You are probably one of such people.

But what exactly are we doing, or not doing that makes the progress we desire so much continue to seem elusive? There is so much poverty in the land; can we not see that? You have a job, and maybe life for you is relatively easy. But can you imagine the number of jobless people out there who have little hope of a future they can count on? What we need in this regard is easy to see: more and more jobs. But jobs are the result of more and more industries built. And we are yet to see these industries.

We do have some companies, to be sure; but you will agree with me that they are not enough. Apart from banks, such as: Intercontinental, Zenith, UBA, First, Oceanic, Skye, Sterling and so forth; and Communication firms like: Glo, MTN, Starcomms and so forth; and breweries, and a few others, there are little or no other employers of labour. And sadly, many of these companies have an unhealthy rate of expatriate influence. I do not have concrete statistics in this regard, but I can guess that banks employ up to 30% of all our graduates. The irony is that banks do not produce anything as such; they only clean up cash, and serve as bridge between surpluses and deficits.

What we need are more manufacturing companies:

1. Steel (and by extension boats, and guns and cars and so forth)
2. electronics, radars, gadgets etc.
3. motors (aeroplanes, rotors etc)
4. much more food
5. diverse other industries.

We need improved education, better healthcare and so many other provisions: professionals and stuff. We need at least one hundred thousand new entrepreneurs, each owning a company that can employ about one thousand youths; that would boil down to 100 million new jobs. We have too many trade companies; what we need are more manufacturing firms. We need people to make NEW things, not continuing to recycle what so many others have turned over and over and over again.

Imagine if in Aba there were fifty companies: ten making fresh African textile; ten making tinned fish and prawns from Cross River; ten making camwood powder and exporting same to Newfoundland, Canada; ten making pottery in large quantities and selling to African Americans and Carribeans, and ten making rotors for local boats on the Niger Delta. Imagine if in Ondo we had fifty companies: ten making furniture in large quantities and exporting to Australia; ten making local beads in such quantity that Canada becomes surfeit with them; ten making dyes the type that Arabians love; ten making sweets for export to India, and ten making chocolate candy. Those who work in foreign operations in banks know that 98% of all documents processed are IMPORTATION documents. Kenosky, you should know this, with your experience at the Zen. This is deplorable.

In Kansas alone, I read that there are more than 800 companies employing people. Can you imagine that! 800 companies. In Kansas alone. Are there up to 800 companies in all of Nigeria? In USA, there are more than 4500 (yes, you read right, four thousand, five hundred) institutions of higher learning, most of them of international standard; I doubt if we have up to hundred in Nigeria, few of which (if any at all) are global standard. Why are we like this? And we keep doing it, acting small, acting petty. Ehn? Why are we like this? Ehn? Why? Hmmm.

I don't know what Nigeria wants; people have said the problem is with leadership. Indeed, these days it is so convenient for us to think of our problems, and then trump up a nice synonym for them all, as if that could case them and shift the blame so neatly to an elusive government. But isn't it ironic that the same 'government' that is at fault is receiving approval polls up to 80% positive? The courts have declared the president the true winner of the polls. Many have called him honest, humble, good natured, and all that; and from what I see, he is all of that: humble, good natured, willing to do right and all that; even I agree. But why are things the way they are? And is the issue still leadership? Methinks it is much bigger. Me-really-thinks! Sam-sam; our problem is not leadership per se.

Phew! All man knows the problem; but we need some man to work it out. Akon asks: How can we work it out? How? Most people are interested in playing safe, playing to the gallery; seeing the truth but choosing to ignore it, for the sake of preserving the status-quo; forgetting that there are two statuses-quo: ante et cit. I think we have the former to swerve to the latter, if we can look truth in the face and own it. If we can escape the foolery displayed in the story, The Emperor's New Clothes. I'm sure you recall the tale?

In summary, the tale had it that there was an emperor who was so surfeit with smugness that he declared he would wear only clothes sewed by the wisest expatriate tailors found. Two swindlers extracted all the gold and silver they could from the emperor and said they would get him such a dress that only wise ones could see. Of course the sewed him nothing, and on the day the emperor was to show off his new clothes, he was entirely naked and walking the streets. It was an honest little boy that finally squealed: 'Look! The emperor has got nothing on!'

May we all be honest. With life and with ourselves. Amen.

One love, y'all.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 12:51pm On Feb 29, 2008
Maybe fifty years from now, or at worst a hundred years; maybe when we are ready to begin, we will eventually have a Nigeria that all the world can be proud of. God knows that if there is anything; anything whatsoever that I can do to help that dream Nigeria come about, I will be more than willing (more than willing) to do it. God help us all.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 12:54pm On Feb 29, 2008
I hope.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by opokonwa(m): 1:51pm On Feb 29, 2008
@Kuwena
These days I find it awkward to respond to your posts esp about Nigeria
Because even when I mean well, people smell a fight.

I read with interest, your response to Alfa Prime and I picked up a few things.
Aba can only grow if and when people like you and I decide to grow it. Same as Ondo. Same as Niger-Delta
The people you compare us with (the Americans) sat down and grew their country.
Today, China is bigger than the USA in almost all export b/c they sat down and grew their country

Companies, jobs, prosperity of an nation does not drop from the sky b/c it is America or any other

Kansas can have 800 jobs, America can have 4500 institutions, the point is how many have you and I created for this country that even failed?
The answer is none.
So can we quit talking and start doing?

You do not know that part of what I think everyday, even some minutes b/f I opened this page is 'how I can create or be part of a creation of a thriving firm?'
Unfortunately, I do not have the experience to neither have I put up a fantastic business proposal that can attract the needed finance.
But at least, Iam thinking towards that area.

America was not built in a day. I do not know their age but I guess that they are at least over a 100 years older than Nigeria, same as China, same as India. All are superior economies compared to us.

A Nigerian university, Lagos Business School got ranked sometime as within 'the top 50 best schools in the world' all because of the efforts and visions of Prof. Pat Utomi and his team of pioneers.

My point is, 'Can we start working and stop whining?'
'Can we stop complaining and start thinking?'
'Can we stop making the comparisms and start making the difference?'

Every little difference you make in your thoughts, decisions, actions and disposition towards life might start yielding mightily, perhaps in a few years time.

But no matter how I preach, some people will still prefer to run and go enjoy another man's country wey dem leaders have paid the price.
While some may still travel out or not, but will definitely come back to build theirs.

I stand for the latter 'cause there is no where like home.

Besides, Nigeria being less developed than your benchmark presents an opportunity for us to make a difference.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kenosky: 7:09pm On Feb 29, 2008
opoks baba, weneva u join issues concerning naija talk- i baffle! shocked u wan go contest president of ur town union? Guy, abeg go home and enjoy the wonderful weekend ahead (TGIF- i know i'm correct today), u hear? i no wan angry o cos people dey always cry wenever i angry
Re: Which Way Nlng? by tommyex(m): 7:56pm On Feb 29, 2008
cheesy
Ehen i lyk dis una intellectual contest,nice 2 read

Ken
e be lyk say u don dey shark ogogoro 4 dat ur end,na d cold?Cos dis censor wey u do dey dey move me

Have a nice wkend ALL
Re: Which Way Nlng? by AlfaPrime: 11:03pm On Feb 29, 2008
@tommyex

Funny enough, this intellectual contest, as you call it, can only do us a world of good. U see, radical revolutionaries always started as idealists who began by envisioning a better world around them. They then took up the gauntlet and stepped out for a change.

@Opokonwa

I say touche to your post. The change in Nigeria starts with us. In fact, with me. Let me recall an experience we had while in school. A lecturer shared with us in class, how a student of his in a senior level to ours once approached him after an exam result was released, complaining that his result was missing. The lecturer was surprised and asked the student how this could have possibly happend, and if he was sure he actually sat for the exam in question. Eventually, under intense interrogation, the boy confessed that he didn't actually write the exam, but had hoped he could con the university don into awarding him a grade. The lecturer then paused and made a profound statement to us in the class: He said something like this: " If as a student, you ask for grades for exam u never wrote, then as a local govt chairman, you will commision roads that you did not build!" The class roared with laughter, while some one impishly chipped in: ", and build bridges where actually, no river exists!

But, I'm sure we get the point here. It starts with me and you. In this regard, I'd say that one reason Nigeria stands out from other corrupt countries right now is that there is both official and general condemnation of the trend. For one, we know that we are corrupt. Though we may disagree about the best way to fight it, we are at least, willing to talk about it, opening ourselves up to the world, and assessing ourselves on our anti-corruption strides.

@Kuwena
You are very correct about the cause of not just Nigeria, but Africa's present state of backwardness: Leadership. But it depends on your definition of leadership. I don't just mean political leadership. I mean a collective and cummulative failure of leadership at the Federal level, State level, local level, family level, and curiously but surely, the INDIVIDUAL level. Do you remember the Biblical quotation that "he who has rule over his spirit is better than he that taketh a city?", because some of us really, can't govern ourselves yet.

I don't mean to sound despondent or preachy of course, cos there's actually a lot of hope for us. We may not realise it now, but the truth is that things may never have been this hopeful for us in our history as a nation, NOT because things are good right now (in fact, they're actually in their worst state) but because we NOW KNOW OUR TRUE SORRY STATE AS A NATION, and are desirous of change. Ignorance is the worst killer.

@Kuwena

Pls don't think that because of my juicy job, I don't know suffering. Yes, things are reasonably easier for me now, but I have had my fair share of suffering in life, which I'm not in a hurry to forget. From having to trek miles to primary school on an empty stomach, to surviving for days in University on just garri and water, to being abandoned when it mattered most, by trusted and well-to-do relatives who my father had done much for,, name it. And today, when I sit in an airconditioned vehicle going to and from the office, I look out at the sweating, trudging masses struggling for their daily bread, and tell myself silently
"From poverty in Nigeria, none is free,
Until all is free"

Doubt me? Ask an armed robbery or fraud victim.

Many of us on Nairaland have seen the worst side of life in Nigeria, but have not allowed it to turn us against the country. Because the country is simply U and I.

But U know the key to forging ahead? Kuwena, I'll share this key with U in my next post, for our collective benefit. it will help U as U progress to your next level in life. You've got all the trappings of a successful high-flier, but this key is so vital, U need to have it as you progress.

Cheerio!Happy weekend.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by tommyex(m): 6:08am On Mar 01, 2008
ALFA
give us some more,I love ur style bro,so calm n collected

Anyway i ll guess the key is GOD,we all need him
I ll wait 2 hear it from you though!
have fun and dont use the A/C in ur cars too muchjus 4 d heck of it!Over-enjoyment aint so nice

(1) (2) (3) ... (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) ... (152) (Reply)

The Nigerian Navy Screening List (NNBTS Training) Batch-23/24 / Shell Nigeria (SPDC) Graduate Trainee Recruitment, 2019 / NPC Launches E-recruitment Portal For 2023 Census

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 256
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.