Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,520 members, 7,836,979 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:17 PM

Which Way Nlng? - Jobs/Vacancies (132) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Which Way Nlng? (210892 Views)

GMAT BOOKS,NLNG,DRAGNET,SHL,SHELL,EDITABLE RESUME TEMPLATES,RESUME MAKER PRO(PC) / Careers At Nlng Recruitment Of Graduate Trainees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) ... (152) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 7:57pm On Jun 09, 2008
For the first time, I was able to read one of Chimamanda Adiche's novels; actually her first, Purple Hibiscus. Curiously, though I have watched her on CNN, and Googled her several times, and loved her fame, it is only today that I have come round to reading anything from her. She writes fluidly, I must confess, and it is no wonder that her books have won international awards. And it should make us proud, because she is a Nigerian, and spent a good deal of her earliest years here; in Enugu, to be precise.

Reading Adichie has given me insight into her personality, and it is an insight that I could never have got watching her on CNN, or Googling her up. She currently lives in the United States, and it is there she has herself published. However, I notice from her writing that she is homesick; practically dying to return to Nigeria. And this is curious. Indeed, it is always curious when I hear people that have become successes in the white man's country (that had not been successes here before they left) speak of so much nostalgia for their homeland; they have escaped the lack of electricity, the bad roads, the traffic congestions and potholes; they have escaped the witchcraft, the jealousy of less successful peers, and so many of the other ills; and they have gone to a better land; then all of a sudden they want to come back to their country, as if they had never been gone at all. Does it mean they did not appreciate the success they got over there; does it mean it did not matter?

I agree that it has been said, 'East or west, home is best'; but what exactly does 'home' mean? Is it not where a person finds usefulness? Must home be a place where your biological compares live? Adichie's book seems a little too balanced to be provoking, and yet a little too subtle to be smug. She seems to mix a love for white civilization with a contempt for its cultural restrictions; at the same time, she seems to want to prove, almost desperately, that the back culture is an equal variant of the white, while simultaneously praising the white and seeing its merits. She seems to want to marry the two with some form of modern hybridization, though she doesn't altogether succeed. But her nostalgia for the motherland is ever clear.

I am all the wiser for reading it. I recall that opinion is free, and that whether or not one chooses this or that as his home, it is the desire for actualization that is important, not the actualization itself; and that the definition of the terms, desire and actualization, are unique to each individual, as Adichie herself has shown.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 7:58pm On Jun 09, 2008
I'm online now.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 8:27pm On Jun 09, 2008
One last thing, regardless of Adichie's exampe, I have resolved to love or hate things based entirely on their objective merit, and not because I have ties to those things. Hence, I choose to love an entity for its own essence, and not because that entity is related to me. And the essence of an entity can be seen in its marked, recurrent, characteristic behaviour. It is in this sense that someone I said I loved yesterday could be a source of irritation to me today. Love seems to me to be an ephemeral word with no precise meaning. Alors! wink
Re: Which Way Nlng? by AlfaPrime: 10:58pm On Jun 09, 2008
Maybe I should speak a little here about my own dearly beloved Dad, of blessed memory, who trained as a professional on scholarship in the white man's land, and thereafter lived and worked there for many years, supervising whites and giving them technical instructions and directives, before returning to his beloved fatherland Nigeria to continue work and raise his family. A man who interacted so much with whites and imbibed so much of their polished mannerisms that his nickname amongst his peers was literally "white man", YET he didn't see it fit to give any of his kids an English name, rather, he painstakingly taught us to value our roots and traditional values, drawing on experience he gathered over the years from UK, Europe, Austrailia, etc to let us know why we should be proud of our home.

Frankly, I've also wondered why Nigerians who make it abroad (like my Dad did) would come back. But from my own little experience working in one of the world's biggest companies ( a multi-racial, multicultural environment, in fact, a global stage for short) I think it's because of that in-born personal pride that every full-blooded individual has in where he comes from. I mean, no matter how far and high You've gone, no matter how smart and westernized You've been,  it just gets to a point when You realise that, "Come, all this while I've been interacting with this people IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY, What of mine? It's a terrible thing to be in a foreign land simply because You have no place to go back to. Several Nigerians who appear to have become "successful" abroad are only there because they can't return home. Sure enough, the system works better in the white man's land, but not to mean that we can't make ours work for us.

That's why several times, I appear to be an unappologetic, unrepentant, (even adamant) patriotic Nigerian, perhaps after realising that East or West, North or South, Home is the best.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kenosky: 5:03am On Jun 10, 2008
[size=15pt]well said bro, well said! There's no place like home! grin cool[/size]
Re: Which Way Nlng? by opokonwa(m): 12:09pm On Jun 10, 2008
Why bother to educate a man who has sold his conscience & nationality (and everything he ever had) on the altar of travelling & relocating abroad permanently?
Why are you people still on this very topic?

Let he who wants to love his roots love his roots well well!
And let he who hates it (or disguises same) hate it well well!
It's a free world!

After all, what is the value of either your love or hate for Nigeria?
Does it add food to the plate of the deprived or more money to the earnings of Opoks! ?

I personally think that this subject is an over-flogged issue that only insults the senses of true & patriotic Nigerians.

Kuwena has made up his mind to dump his country, brothers and everything that reminds him of Nigeria. Period.

I wonder whether subsequent discussions on this issue suggests that Kuwena is seeking justification for his resolve?
Your 'home' can be in the Arctic Ocean, Santa Barbara or Imo state, who cares?!

Go ahead and head on to the USA for life. We wish you well! We have always wished you well!
But often coming back on the same topic to relate how you have given up on everything Nigeria or 'home' as you may refer to it makes me sick embarassed
As though you're desperately seeking for like-minded peeps who will endorse your viewpoint?

This thread is sick!
Full of sick people! sad
Re: Which Way Nlng? by skeelo: 12:56pm On Jun 10, 2008
cheesy grin cool
longest time, no see no call no messages, no b small thing.
as i open this page now, i jst smiled wen i saw that the 'BIG MEN' r still makin this trend move, I bow for una,
wetin com surprise me as i dey move dey read una messages be say, una mind set neva change, wetin do u, kwena, if person dey homesick wetin b ur own, u knw wetin she leave for here,
As for opoks, i hail u long time, bt una quarrel before, ok i seeeeeeeeeeeeee,
make i warn u angry, me i well i no knw about others oooooo tongue
nuttin do all of us, make we enjoy this life abeg,
make una no vex say e tey before i show again,
una wey knw the scriptures remember wetin JESUS talk,
he say one time una go see me, another wetin happen,
cos i don waka again b dat
shoooooo,
miss u guys,
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kenosky: 1:00pm On Jun 10, 2008
[size=15pt]Dr opoks! grin, i hope u came with ya stethoscope? shuo! Nobody was educating anybody ke shocked, Alfaprime was just telling us about the exploits of his dad (God rest his soul) in the white man's country- maybe you should equally share yours with us instead of fighting anybody! kiss. My own Dad was in 'ugu hausa' (HAUSALAND) for many years prior to the civil war and yet he longed for his hometown so much that he even left before the war broke out (who knows wat would have become of mi- would i av ever existed if he didnt return home? Hmmmm! Dats some food for thot! Mi, i go soon go home, i don tire! grin cheesy tongue [/size]
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kenosky: 1:01pm On Jun 10, 2008
[size=15pt]Pastor skeelo! grin cheesy welcome back![/size]
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 2:53pm On Jun 10, 2008
skeelo:

cheesy grin cool
longest time, no see no call no messages, no b small thing.
as i open this page now, i jst smiled when i saw that the 'BIG MEN' r still makin this trend move, I bow for una,
wetin com surprise me as i dey move dey read una messages be say, una mind set never change, wetin do u, kwena, if person dey homesick wetin b your own, u knw wetin she leave for here,
As for opoks, i hail u long time, bt una quarrel before, ok i seeeeeeeeeeeeee,
make i warn u angry, me i well i no knw about others oooooo tongue
nuttin do all of us, make we enjoy this life abeg,
make una no vex say e tey before i show again,
una wey knw the scriptures remember wetin JESUS talk,
he say one time una go see me, another wetin happen,
because i don waka again b that
shoooooo,
miss u guys,

Skeelo, I am clapping for you. cheesy
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 2:55pm On Jun 10, 2008
opokonwa:

Why bother to educate a man who has sold his conscience & nationality (and everything he ever had) on the altar of travelling & relocating abroad permanently?
Why are you people still on this very topic?

Let he who wants to love his roots love his roots well well!
And let he who hates it (or disguises same) hate it well well!
It's a free world!

After all, what is the value of either your love or hate for Nigeria?
Does it add food to the plate of the deprived or more money to the earnings of Opoks! ?

I personally think that this subject is an over-flogged issue that only insults the senses of true & patriotic Nigerians.

Kuwena has made up his mind to dump his country, brothers and everything that reminds him of Nigeria. Period.

I wonder whether subsequent discussions on this issue suggests that Kuwena is seeking justification for his resolve?
Your 'home' can be in the Arctic Ocean, Santa Barbara or Imo state, who cares?!

Go ahead and head on to the USA for life. We wish you well! We have always wished you well!
But often coming back on the same topic to relate how you have given up on everything Nigeria or 'home' as you may refer to it makes me sick embarassed
As though you're desperately seeking for like-minded peeps who will endorse your viewpoint?

This thread is sick!
Full of sick people! sad

Opoko, there are at least two ways to look at an issue (subjective and objective), and think you are being subjective here.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 3:05pm On Jun 10, 2008
Alfa Prime, you have spoken well. I am happy you had such an illustrous dad. And partly thanks to him, see where you are today!

You see, I am of the objective opinion that the world is an open home, and a person should feel free to make a home where he feels he finds usefulness to work, and belongingness to the people there.

I say this not for my self alone (subjectivity), but for all people (objectivity).

But like I said, you have spoken well. I am clapping for you.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 3:15pm On Jun 10, 2008
And if we must progress, let us tell our relatives in the village to learn to curtail their jealousies. It is too much! And we are sinfully copying their example! Can you believe today I went somewhere and someone that knew me when I was with IB Plc saw me in mufti and said, 'Ah-ahn. No work today?' I said, 'I've resigned,' and before she could check herself she spontaneously blurted out, 'Thank God!' Then immediately realizing her folly, she said, 'Oh. Sorry, I mean congratulations.' I wanted to ask, Congratulations for what? But I decided it would be in bad taste, and she looked too embarrassed already. This happened only today. Naija, na wa-o! Na so we go use progress? grin
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 3:38pm On Jun 10, 2008
For a wad of worthless Zimbabwean banknotes President Mugabe’s militias burnt six-year-old Nyasha Mashoko to death.

The target of the Zanu (PF) thugs had been the boy’s father, Brian Mamhova. They came for him on Friday night — three truckloads of them, plus a Mercedes Benz from which alighted three armed men in suits, Mr Mamhova said. The militiamen had been promised Z$25 trillion (£12,500) to kill him, which seems a high price on the head of a district councillor but which is no problem for a Government that sees printing money as the best way out of a crisis.

Mr Mamhova was elected a councillor for the Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) in elections on March 29 for the Harare South district council, an area of farms and rundown houses on the outskirts of the capital, close to Harare airport.

At 8pm on Friday Mr Mamhova was asleep. His wife, Pamela Pasvani, 21, his son, Nyasha, his younger brother and a nephew were in an adjoining room.

Related Links
Zimbabwe's 'military coup by stealth'
Voters feel bite of Robert Mugabe’s Crocodile
Mugabe: UK trying to topple me
Multimedia
In depth coverage of Zimbabwe's crisis
“They [the militiamen] got in the room where I was and they were searching me against the wall,” he said. He managed to break free from the men holding them and slipped past the others in the darkness. He stopped running when he was 100 metres away, and hid behind a bush. “They were running past me,” he said, and he heard them muttering that they were about to lose their bounty.

“They locked the door where my wife was. They smashed the windows and threw petrol inside. Then they lit it,” he said. “Inside the house, my young brother broke the door. I thank God, otherwise they would be burnt, all of them. He took my nephew out of the room. Then he went back into the room and he took my wife, but it was late. She got 80 per cent burnt. My son was burnt to pieces.”

“Then they beat everybody there, my neighbours, everyone. Many of them are in Chitungwiza hospital [the nearest state hospital] now.” His brother and his nephew escaped with minor burns. “I am in a hidden place now. They are hunting me. They are saying they want to kill me. It is terrible.” The perpetrators of such crimes act with impunity, he said.

“When they did this, they were led by their local Zanu (PF) chairman. He lives close to our place. All of them are still there, now.” Mr Mamhova was left with only the shorts he was wearing. “Everything was burnt. There is nothing left. The clothes, the blankets, the food, all burnt. Somebody gave me some clothes.” His wife died on Saturday in ward C6 of the burns unit of Harare hospital. “No one survives more than 50 per cent burns,” a doctor there said. She was 18 weeks pregnant.

The terror tactic of burning people alive has been little used by Zanu (PF) in recent years but seems to be being revived. Last Wednesday, in the village of Jerera in Zaka district in the southeast of the country, a group of gunmen described as being in riot police uniform broke into an MDC office and fired on six people. Then they poured petrol over them and set them ablaze. Two died in the fire.

A photograph of one of them, published in a local independent newspaper, was remarkably like the picture of one of the charred victims of the xenophobic violence in Johannesburg two weeks ago. Two others are in Harare hospital with 30 and 40 per cent burns respectively. The remaining two have disappeared.

In 1963, when the black nationalist movement fighting against the white minority Rhodesian Government split, youths on either side of the divide locked people in their houses in urban townships and threw petrol bombs inside. The leader of the youth wing of one faction — the newly formed Zimbabwe African National Union (Zanu), forerunner to Zanu (PF) — was a young school teacher named Robert Mugabe.

“If you look back at the methods of Zanu (PF) since it was formed, the only one who was there from that time is the President,” Willas Madzimure, a Harare MP, said. “Which means he knows exactly how to do it.”

A history of violence

1963 During the rebellion against white colonial rule Mr Mugabe forms the Zimbabwe African National Union (Zanu) as a breakaway from the Zimbabwe African People’s Union (Zapu) led by Mr Nkomo. The Government declares a state of emergency after firebombing and violence in the poor, black townships

1975 Mr Mugabe returns from exile and restarts guerrilla war, which claimed 36,000 lives and displaced 1.5 million people. Mr Mugabe’s forces used mutilation and burning in their brutal campaign

1979 A peace deal is brokered by the British and the first elections are agreed. Mr Mugabe’s campaign is so violent that he is threatened repeatedly with disqualification

1980 Mr Mugabe wins the election and forms a coalition with Zapu

1982 Mr Mugabe sacks Mr Nkomo and cracks down on his supporters. He is accused of killing 20,000 Zapu supporters

Source: International Crisis Group, Times archives

What is wrong with Africa? undecided

Re: Which Way Nlng? by JISIDAISY(f): 7:16pm On Jun 10, 2008
grin Nice to be back guys, How are you all doing?

Small wahala be say i travel outta Abj and didnt suspend my internet time so i just ran it for nothing and for a whole month!!! angry how una dey?

This is just a pre- hola. The main the main is coming.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by seefar: 8:25pm On Jun 10, 2008
great post today for those in need for a good job today

http://joblinkage..com/
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kenosky: 9:42pm On Jun 10, 2008
JISIDAISY:

grin Nice to be back guys, How are you all doing?

Small wahala be say i travel out of Abj and didnt suspend my internet time so i just ran it for nothing and for a whole month!!! angry how una dey?

This is just a pre- hola. The main the main is coming.

[size=15pt]eh ya! kiss you're a big girl na! grin cheesy why are you whining? [/size]
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kenosky: 6:29pm On Jun 11, 2008
[size=15pt]where's all man na?[/size]
Re: Which Way Nlng? by JISIDAISY(f): 8:00pm On Jun 11, 2008
grin so na so u fit say welcome ehn?? Kenosky, have i tot you nothing? I'm upset!! angry but i miss u sha---make i no lie. small sha-- i no too miss u like that b4 ya hed go burst.
cheers man.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kenosky: 9:18pm On Jun 11, 2008
JISIDAISY:

grin so na so u fit say welcome ehn?? Kenosky, have i tot you nothing? I'm upset!! angry but i miss u sha---make i no lie. small sha-- i no too miss u like that before ya hed go burst.
cheers man.

[size=15pt]
Welcome o jare my dear! kiss Its good to have you back! cool grin
[/size]
Re: Which Way Nlng? by AlfaPrime: 10:06pm On Jun 11, 2008
@Opoks
I'm sure I didn't refer to anyone's plans while sharing a few nostalgic reminisces of my beloved Dad. Neither am I anxious to endorse anyone's heart desire as regards a choice of country of nationality, Well, we learn everyday. For me, some of my greatest moments at work and as I travel round the globe are those times when something happens to make me proud (and glad!) to be Nigerian.

The saying that our problem in Nigeria is not the laws but their implimentation was proved true again recently when we were in a business meeting some weeks back, with an attendance comprising professionals from nearly every continent of the world. A law expert was explaining the US FCPA law and asid something quite interesting. For the benefit of those who may not know, the FCPA in a nutshell, is a law that prohibit a US company from giving any sort of bribe either directly or via a 3rd party to any non-US govt official outside the US. i.e, in all parts of the world outside the US where we operate for instance, we're prohibited, by this act, from giving bribes. Now, at a point, he wanted to bring out an seeming contradictory exception to this law, which allows for minor inducement not exceeding about $50, strrictly for the sole purpose of buying time or pushing ur case (or file) forward after U've probably met ALL the reqirements that are prerequisite to being attended to. Now of course, the Nigerians in the room simply guffawed in protest, implying that, well, that IS also bribery, of course. That was when the law expert then added 3 riders to his earlier statement.
1. He emphasized again that the exception only allowed for a max of $50 (which could be seen as a mere tip) and could be given only after all other conditions were met,
2. He also stressed, that,anyway, in Nigeria, the existing regulations DO NOT allow ANY FORM OF INDUCEMENT WHATSOEVER, regardless of whatever allowances the US laws had made. I mean, at this point, U could almost hear the sigh of satisfaction that we Nigerians there heaved, like a sign that we had been vindcated. Nobody can accuse us anymore of officially institutionalising corruption. Thank God, Now for implementation,
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kenosky: 7:24am On Jun 12, 2008
[size=15pt]THE STRONG MAN OF IBADAN POLITICS (ABI NA OYO SELF!) PASSES ON! Hmmmmm undecided lipsrsealed[/size]
Re: Which Way Nlng? by izinbizi(m): 7:31am On Jun 12, 2008
I once tried analysing the issue we are discussing now, and I resolved that the earlier we understood that the world is graduaully loosing its boundaries the better for us. The grip on "my nationality" is fading and the question now is what value can you add to moving the world forward wherever you are. Its timid to continously hold unto something as trivial as "my tribe" , rather lets disabuse our minds of all prejudice and mental limits and work together anywhere, to add value to humanity - Its fast becoming a global village. - An African American just became the democratic presidential nominee.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by opokonwa(m): 12:14pm On Jun 12, 2008
Kuwena
Subjective and objective are all grammar.
Share your view about travelling around the world (to the USA, wherever) but don't .  .  .
don't make it seem like the rest of us who couldn't care less are either living in the village, have less taste or worse, are inferior to the rest of the world.
Recent post of yours about Nigeria and Africa smugs of inferiority complex when compared to elsewhere.
Be yourself! Go wherever you want to go, no police hol you.

And I wonder where & how you meet the kind of people you often claim to meet.
You know that there is a saying that a country deserves the kind of leaders it gets.
I also add that a person deserves the kind of people they attract.
Why do I say this?
It seems like everywhere you go, you either meet someone who is envious of you (as you claim), jealous of you, less polished and all that.
And I wonder why I do not meet those kind of people.
Maybe you should beam the torch on yourself instead.

Skeelo
Glad to know that you're still alive!
Better than those who would never post a line since either losing out of NLNG or getting in.

Kenosky
I no dey fight anybody! Just reacting to several posts I've read.
My own dad was travelling around the world; USA, Germany, Austria, UK, Belgium, etc etc.
For the better part of my childhood, I grew up with mum being the MD of the home (or local) front.
Dad came back when I was almost past adolesent to begin familiarizing himself with his kids, who were almost adults by then.
Certain careers can affect one's family and childhood experience.

And back to your question; you could still have come out from another man, the looks might be different but the spirit & soul which was put into the flesh will utimately turn out to be who you are today.

Jisidaisy expected a rousing welcome?
On this thread? Wey people just they live out their retirement?
Sorry o! cry Gone are the days when peeps would give you a rousing welcome for disappearing and appearing on this thread.
The enthusiasm don die! Even the regular (or current) posters don tire.

Alfaprime
I never said that you refered to anyone's plans neither did I indicate your endorsing anyone's heart desire as regards choice of country of nationality.
I was merely sharing Opoks! mind. Opoks! view.
Opoks! view is strictly original.

Izi-n-bizi
Nice post; best post so far for me on this page.
Very thoughtful too.
But while the world might be becoming a global village, it is worthy to note that it is mostly information-wise.
Apart from a few outstanding individuals who may be showing the way, the world's people are not becoming or acting 'global' at all. They are not yet ready for this idea or better put, are not practicing what they preach. The idea of the world becoming a global village has not permitted more tolerance or acceptance of foreigners in alien countries. It is simply an idea that appeals to the information age (showing how information is quickly shared) and/or global (or international) business. It is also employed by politicians in international politics to further their home country's cause.

People are still holding tight to ethnic, racial, tribal and sexist bias.
Explains why the American people are yet to embrace the reality that an African American (as you called him undecided) might become the next President of the United States! America is yet to wake up; they do not know what just hit them! tongue
More than half of America did not (initially) accept him. Not even the Democratic National Congress (DNC) party where he belongs.

Explains why the DNC allowed the primary to stretch to its limits even when they knew that the Cintons would never catch up.
Had he been a white, the DNC would have crowned Obama as its party nominee long before they eventually did.
The results were so clearly going in his favour yet the divisions within the party were so obvious. sad
I guess they eventually succumbed to a sustained winning streak from Obama. Nobody can question data while it can still be counted.
And yet, the DNC is the closest America can claim to 'liberalism'. sad

Explains why he was picking up endorsements from delegates who thought deeper about his electability and not necessarily winning the popular votes.
Explains why the Primary was so racially and gender divided; the blacks went for Obama (a deception if you ask me because he is a multi-racial who just happens to have a darker skin. Never mind that he had a Kenyan father, his mother was as white as a freshly-cut yam) while more whites and women went for Clinton.
The Presidential election is also expected to tow the same line except if McCain does not have an answer to Obama's organisation machine and charisma.

Need I go on and on.
People are still very mindful of their 'boundaries'; be it ethnic, racial, skin colour, gender, national, religious, historical, etc.
If you observe well, you will find out that the world is even more deeply divided than before; Israel with America, America with NATO, Iran with its anti-Israeli, Arab & Islamc inclination, 'uneasy calm' in the Middle-East mainly because of Israeli unquestionable military domination, China & North Korea still pursuing isolation policies, Russia playing duck, Africa still battling with hunger, wars, corrupt and incumbent leaders, etc.
Nothing has changed except information (easily accessible information!). Thank God for the internet!

However, you made a point about us 'working together anywhere, to add value to humanity'. Yes I agree.
But I tell you that the sense of 'nationality' will always be there in every individual.

I am eternally proud of who I am and where I come from.
We may not have the best of values or achievement to showcase to the world but we do not have the worst either.
There is nowhere like home, nobody exactly like me and I neither have nor cherish another identity.

Finally to Kenosky
Yes! Adedibu is dead!
What a relief! Phew! undecided
HELL will definitely reject some people!
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kenosky: 6:24pm On Jun 12, 2008
[size=15pt]opoks, phew! na real epistle u just post- i go dissect am later, for now, i have to go and rest grin cheesy[/size]
Re: Which Way Nlng? by niyooo(m): 11:35pm On Jun 12, 2008
Hi All. Seems just like yesterday since i posted last. Missed You'all. Can't read through the post yet, but it seems I don't have too much catching up to do, the thread hasn't moved that much (relieved). Anyway just want to say hi to all that have kept the thread going. Kenosky, I see say you still dey for Oyinbo land. You no go do quick come back come dey follow us enjoy light for 3 hours out of 24?  tongue Anyway I hail all of una. Post more later. Ciao
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kenosky: 8:38am On Jun 13, 2008
niyooo:

Hi All. Seems just like yesterday since i posted last. Missed You'all. Can't read through the post yet, but it seems I don't have too much catching up to do, the thread hasn't moved that much (relieved). Anyway just want to say hi to all that have kept the thread going. Kenosky, I see say you still dey for Oyinbo land. You no go do quick come back come dey follow us enjoy light for 3 hours out of 24? tongue Anyway I hail all of una. Post more later. Ciao

[size=15pt]niyooooo, welcome back bro! u r correkt, we just no wan rush so that u wont have too much catching up to do but Jisi is back sha. How were your exams? shey? Nna, i think i v changed my mind about coming back to naija o- waat with the appalling state of the power sector! I ll stay here till next year o! grin cool wink[/size]
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 1:18pm On Jun 13, 2008
It has been said that he that knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool, shun him; it has also been said that silence is the best answer for a fool. Yet despite these warnings, I go ahead to respond to your latest post, Okpoko.

Izi-n-bizi wisely said that the boundaries of the world are thinning, and you began flaunting subjective statements about his submission.

To start with, John Locke said that humans are largely products of their socialization, and that their biological makeup has little to do with what they become eventually. Though his view has been criticized, it had led to the general view that bio-social characteristics, notable race (as evidenced by skin colour), are merely accidents of nature.

If you have watched Mr. Bones as well, you would find that the white boy that grew up entirely in a black culture ended up acting entirely black.

My point? Regardless of skin colour, a person ends up becoming a member of a society by effectively responding to the socialization he has received from that society.

That Obama was given a race for his money in the primaries simply because he was black was at best your opinion. That he really is whiter than black because of his mother, and this has helped his selection as democratic presidential nominee is as well an opinion. That more than half of the Americans that voted him do not really accept him is also an opinion; you afforded no statistics to back up your statement; practically all you said about America itself, and the global village that scholars say the world now is are opinionistic, and all lack evidence.

I was also irritated by what you said about me: that I have inferiority complex and all what not. Okpoko, what really does inferiority mean? Is it what a person is guilty of when he walks with head bowed, and is ashamed of himself? Hang on a minute, let me google it up on an online dictionary, yes. I have one definition now, from AudioEnglish.net. It goes thus: A sense of personal inferiority arising from conflict between the desire to be noticed and the fear of being humiliated. And I ask myself, Do I have that? Do I suffer from a conflict between the desire to be noticed and a fear of being humiliated, and the answer I get from personal reflection is no. I do not think I have inferiority complex. Your statement that I do is to me, entirely your own opinion.

Okpoko, please stop saying these ugly things to me, okay? I have done you no harm. Please. Inugo?
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 1:47pm On Jun 13, 2008
And for what it is worth, this is my own opinion: OBAMA IS THE BETTER CHOICE FOR AMERICA. Yes, he is. And I say this for the following reasons:

1. Obama is younger than McCain; he is 46, and if elected president will be one of the youngest ever democrats to be so; Teddy Roosevelt was the youngest ever, at 42. Teddy was Republican. JFK was 44 in 1961 when he was sworn in as US president. JFK was a democrat.

2. He is very intelligent. He went to Harvard Law School and graduated with first class honours; he was also the first black person to be President of Harvard Law Review while there.

3. He is a symbol of unity, and very likely will help integrate the classes in America:
a. Unity of race: He is both black and white (half caste son of black father from Kenya and white mother from Wichita, Kansas).
b. Unity of creed: He is both Christian and moslem (son of moslem father and Christian mother) and has vowed to end the war in Iraq
c. Unity of status: He has tasted both poverty and wealth; he has both the wisdom of the streets (where he did drugs as a teenager seeking direction for life), and the wisdom of Harvard, an Ivy League school.
d. Unity of science and superstition: He has endured the controversy of the black-white dichotomy (recall Rev. Wright's speeches on white supremacy in Historical America) and has emerged unscathed. He has put paid to the superstition that black people could never aspire to the white house.

Indeed, a research carried out on 24 countries by the Pew research centre said that Obama has received greater support by the international community as the man the world needs. His campaign has as well received a head start over McCain's.

So much so for my educated opinion. By the way, my latest book Small Small So Say is almost finished, and I'm going to talk a little about Obama in it.

Lots of love.
Re: Which Way Nlng? by opokonwa(m): 2:39pm On Jun 13, 2008
Kuwena
You simply called yourself a fool in one of your posts above.
I'm glad you're beginning to admit to who you are wink

That the world is thinning and that mine is a subjective statement are all your opinions.
Maybe you should have provided a minutest 'intelligent' arguement that it is thinning instead of expressing what is at best, your opinion.
At least I backed mine with the current state of world politics.
Move over!

John Locke ni! John Locke ko o! That Obama is a product of his socialization o! More white that black o! And this helped his selection o!
Na also your opinion embarassed Nobody argues with you on those issues. embarassed
If you know anything about American politics other than being delighted that Obama won the DNC election primary, bring it on!
Rather than being a self-proclaimed judge of objectivity and subjectivity tongue

I do not need to offer you any physical or numerical statistics to substantiate any of my post. You no dey nursery school.
At least you have the internet in front of you and unlimited access to world news and events. What do you do when you come online?
Only go to 'Which Way NLNG'? undecided  Let me give you some tips. Try checking CNN.com, BBC News, Fox News, Sky News, Google News, Yahoo News and even our local online newspapers to get a proper perspective of either world politics, American elections or events at your doorstep
That way you may begin to yarn authoritatively and not bother on whether opinions are subjective or objective.

On inferiority complex, tell me what you suffer from that almost anytime you encounter a Nigerian, you are either wary that they envy you, capable of doing you harm or you do not blend? And whenever you speak of a white man, it is the opposite; one of reverence??

Is every balck man or Nigerian jealous of Kuwena? You said the same thing about your colleagues in the bank where you resigned.
Abeg give me a break!  I'm sure you will carry the same impression to the US.

Tell me what it is you felt when you posted these things below?

The hotel the man checked into was in Africa.

2. The man was pleased that 'they have computers here'.

3. He revealed to his wife that the place was very hot (expectedly making her think it was Hell)

If you had added these points, as in the original version of the joke, it would have been easier to laugh to.

Why do we Africans seem too defensive of our mediocre state of affairs? Beats me

A ridicle of Africa?

Even Pak had to come in after that particular post to say, 'so much for Africa / Nigeria bashing'.

If you do not feel proud about who you are or where you come from, at least some people do; respect them!

What was all those things you poted about Chimanda Adichie. As though arguing that it is somehow unfounded, even wrong for someone who has spent time overseas to feel home sick for her home country?

What impression did you intend to create with this post of yours below?

And if we must progress, let us tell our relatives in the village to learn to curtail their jealousies. It is too much! And we are sinfully copying their example! Can you believe today I went somewhere and someone that knew me when I was with IB Plc saw me in mufti and said, 'Ah-ahn. No work today?' I said, 'I've resigned,' and before she could check herself she spontaneously blurted out, 'Thank God!' Then immediately realizing her folly, she said, 'Oh. Sorry, I mean congratulations.' I wanted to ask, Congratulations for what? But I decided it would be in bad taste, and she looked too embarrassed already. This happened only today. Naija, na wa-o! Na so we go use progress? 

Please! Puleaase!!! and Puleeeaaase!!!!!!!!
The Nigerians that I meet everyday are not jealous, envious and diabolical like you paint them with wreckless abandon.
I do not know where and how you meet those people; maybe in your mind embarassed

Kuwena, please stop saying ugly things about my country; Nigeria, Africa or the Black race okay We have done you no harm! Please! Inugo!!!!
Re: Which Way Nlng? by kuwena(m): 2:56pm On Jun 13, 2008
This is another opinion of mine: Okpoko, you are a fool. Simple. I used to think that maybe you were, or maybe you weren't, but now I know for sure that you are a fool.

To start with, Okpoko, that quote of mine you dubbed was a simple rendition of Stan's joke in its original form. In the form Stan earlier presented it, the joke had been severely edited, and was not as funny as it would have been were it not edited. And as for my comment on we Africans being defensive of our mediocre state of affairs, I have these two things to say: 1. Africa's state of affairs are mediocre compared to the state of affairs in America and Europe. Or shall we carry out a research to prove otherwise, if that were possible? Even a child knows that life is more convenient there than here. 2. I have experienced Africans defending their state of affairs both colloquially and in their written works of art. But can we hide the truth? Do you know that a banana in Zimbabwe is now two million Zimbabwean dollars? Okpoko, I agree that you are a fool, but think; think!

Also, about my complaining about being envied, I say it because I feel it at times. I feel it when I see how some of my peers react when they are around me; I hear it in their words. And when I choose not to be silent about it, I speak out. We both know that the average Nigerian tends towards envy very easily. Or shall we carry out a research to verify this? Why are you talking as if you don't know your people? Is it because you are a fool, gbo Okpoko? I sympathize with you, anyway.

Finally, let me tell you this: I do not say ugly things about 'your country' because I want to rubbish it; I say them because that is the way I perceive them; I say them as well because they help me to recall that there is a lot to be done to heal Africa, motherland to millions of black people at home and in diaspora. And one day I will begin to do something very tangible to 'heal the motherland'; something all the world will see. But I will do it from America, a place I hope I will find the home I have not found here, among fools like you!

(1) (2) (3) ... (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) ... (152) (Reply)

The Nigerian Navy Screening List (NNBTS Training) Batch-23/24 / Shell Nigeria (SPDC) Graduate Trainee Recruitment, 2019 / NPC Launches E-recruitment Portal For 2023 Census

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.