Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:27 PM

Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? (5084 Views)

Reasons Why God Is Not Subject To His Own Laws ! / A Complete Understanding Of The Subject Of TONGUES / All People Must Be Subject To The Authority Of The Pope In Order To Be Saved (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by pilgrim1(f): 10:37am On Apr 09, 2007
Have you noticed that any mention of the word 'sex' will certainly draw the attention of many people from all walks of life? At least, you had to click to view this thread - out of curiosity of sorts, whether to excite that animal part of your humanity; or for some other undefined reason.

How is it that it wields such power, so that many intrigues have emerged therefrom? Politics, business, religion, and the soco-cultural corridors of life - whatever it touches or whatever touches sex, there have always been headline news running for weeks. Some have even challenged the religious, political, and socio-cultural traditional views of the parameters of acceptable decorum of this enigma. Whether for good or ill, sex continues to touch every area of human concern; as well as spark on-going debates.

For the V[/b]ery [b]R[/b]eligious ([b]VR): can you have a healthy and open discussion about sex without feelings of repulsion? What are the limits of an 'open and honest' discussion about the subject that would invite your interest in such a discussion?

For the N[/b]ot-[b]S[/b]o-[b]R[/b]eligious ([b]NSR): are there parameters of a sex discussion (such as the question of morality) that are of concern to you; or you would rather have a 'free-for-all, no-bars-hold, anything-permissible' kind of discussion?

For the N[/b]on-[b]R[/b]eligious ([b]NR): do you share the perspective of the NSR; or you simply wouldn't care less whichever way the debate runs?
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by Purist(m): 7:09pm On Jan 05, 2008
Ahem! Sorry, I just had to resurrect this one. grin
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by pilgrim1(f): 6:04am On Jan 06, 2008
Purist:

Ahem! Sorry, I just had to resurrect this one. grin

It's true. The talk of sex and masturbation these days has become alarming. People have lost their sense of shame, our generation no longer blushes at their private proclivities, and the holy has become the mundane.

I wonder if this silence here (until you resurrected the thread) is a beninged acknowledgement that this is a grey subject that we ought to address forthrightly.
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by Gamine(f): 7:25pm On Jan 09, 2008
Pilgrim, true talk

but really

where do we start from
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by TayoD1(m): 7:49pm On Jan 09, 2008
@topic,

At least, you had to click to view this thread
Actually, I clicked on the thread because you are the author. I doubt if I would have been interested otherwise.

Well, the truth is that it is hard to discuss sex without engaging ones imagination. And for those who are not married, you will be adding more kerosene to the conflagration that they are just managing to bring under control.

What more do people need to know apart from no sex outside wedlock? I really do not know that answer. Even the bible is very discreet when it comes to sex. The action is usually implied with phrases or words such as: so and so knew his wife, adultery, fornication etc. While the Songs of Solomon may be considered romantic, it still doesn't discuss the topic of sex in detail.

Just curious pilgrim. You married, engaged, looking, looked, interested, uninterested etc ?
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by holythug(m): 7:57pm On Jan 09, 2008
but u knw we cant do witout it
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by pilgrim1(f): 8:45am On Jan 10, 2008
@Tayo-D,

No vex again - I meant to spend more time yesterday but suddenly got busy with loads on my desk to do. smiley

Tayo-D:

@topic,
Actually, I clicked on the thread because you are the author. I doubt if I would have been interested otherwise.

I was just wondering aloud that this subject is taking the world by surprise - and in most quarters, nothing about it surprises anybody anymore! shocked

Tayo-D:

Well, the truth is that it is hard to discuss sex without engaging ones imagination. And for those who are not married, you will be adding more kerosene to the conflagration that they are just managing to bring under control.

True that. That's why I tried to help contextualize the perspectives from which any discussant may wish to enter the discussion whenever they so wish.

So, from which perspective are you discussing - VR or NSR? grin

No mind me o jare. Your reposte is quite appreciated without the abbreviations.

Tayo-D:

What more do people need to know apart from no sex outside wedlock? I really do not know that answer. Even the bible is very discreet when it comes to sex. The action is usually implied with phrases or words such as: so and so knew his wife, adultery, fornication etc. While the Songs of Solomon may be considered romantic, it still doesn't discuss the topic of sex in detail.

The highlighted part of your post is the perspective I often favour - being discreet, and making sense out of it all.

Tayo-D:

Just curious pilgrim. You married, engaged, looking, looked, interested, uninterested etc ?

There's my answer! grin The crossed-out ones do not apply.
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by pilgrim1(f): 8:47am On Jan 10, 2008
@Gamine,

Gamine:

Pilgrim, true talk

but really

where do we start from

E get as e be! cheesy That is why I thought of offering an enabling environment for a reflective discussion on the subject so people can bear their minds on what they think should make sense in our contemporary worldviews.
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by pilgrim1(f): 8:48am On Jan 10, 2008
@holythug,

holythug:

but u knw we can't do witout it

Lol. . . I wasn't suggesting that we apply as nuns and monks or become eunuchs! grin
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by lafile(m): 9:04am On Jan 10, 2008
Sex IS an important topic that should be discussed. It will always be discussed. The context (and circumstances) within which it is discussed is what matters. despite the trivialisation and perversion of sex in todays world, sex still remains private to most people. I can stand discussions on sex when the intention is good like education, admonition, advise etc. Not when unnecesary details are inputed or when it is told as a joke. But i dont believe people married or unmarried should shy away from the topic. It is very difficult to be fulfilld in marriage without an understanding of sex.
As far as initials go I fall into VR
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by pilgrim1(f): 9:17am On Jan 10, 2008
I am glad that people are now encouraged to make meaningful contributions. So far, I would say that all the previous replies are setting the tone of the discussion - which again is another of contextualizing the manner in which this enigmatic subject is discussed. We all seek to be of mutual benefit to one another - and that objective should never be lost sight of!

- - - - - -

@lafile,

Thank you for making sense in your contributions. (Ahem! Same goes for everyone as well grin) It would be hard for me to pick any line in yours to comment or elaborate on, as you've well captured my thoughts, especially this one:

lafile:

The context (and circumstances) within which it is discussed is what matters.

Cheers. smiley
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by TheSly: 9:18am On Jan 10, 2008

Have you noticed that any mention of the word 'sex' will certainly draw the attention of many people from all walks of life? At least, you had to click to view this thread - out of curiosity of sorts, whether to excite that animal part of your humanity; or for some other undefined reason.

yes!,no doubt about that cheesy u can see i've already clicked on it tongue

*waitin for more replies*
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by pilgrim1(f): 9:33am On Jan 10, 2008
pilgrim.1:

At least, you had to click to view this thread - out of curiosity of sorts,

~Sly~(*_*):

yes!,no doubt about that cheesy u can see i've already clicked on it tongue

Lol. . . wetin spark your curiosity to click in the first place? Share with us. cheesy
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by TheSly: 9:45am On Jan 10, 2008

Lol. . . wetin spark your curiosity to click in the first place? Share with us. cheesy

*scratches head* . . . . batting eyelashes. . . ermmm its because . . . . because. . . . . . because *voice crashed* cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by pilgrim1(f): 9:53am On Jan 10, 2008
Good sharing o jare! cheesy

Next!
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by chatykrew(m): 1:48pm On Jan 10, 2008
well 4 me,  its really a nice thread,  howeever i don't know is it all about one's xperience or not, if experience, what one gained or not? if experience, i once knowingly decided to tread the path of practical sex and during the period i felt empty sort of and gradually i stopped altogether but it was the help of God though but now much more what really keeps me from sex is how i view my self - the Holy of Holies - yes i view myself as such so this to me has help keep me but ? am i in really discussing what the thread is all about or off point ?? anyway thats how i see it
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by Gamine(f): 1:49pm On Jan 10, 2008
Sex sex sex sex,

i wonder where this name came from? undecided

Anyways,
one thing i would always quote is

"once the purpose of a thing isnt known
Abuse is inevitable"

Sex between a man and a woman, which is the only sex that should be (in the human context)

is the most perfect thing that could occur on this planet earth.

there are no other parts of the body that could can fit so well and seamlessly,

And when i say sex between a man and a woman, definitely it will only be between two of them with love
and no other person should come in the mix, because it transcends the physical
Apart from the mingling of flesh there is also a transfer of spirit

So issues of Sex must not! be taken lightly!

smiley smiley
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by pilgrim1(f): 2:40pm On Jan 10, 2008
@chatykrew,

chatykrew:

am i in really discussing what the thread is all about or off point ??

You're in line, and your contributions are quite appreciated.

Everyone's views on this subject are definitely going to be diverse; approaches also will be diverse. That is what makes each person's contribution unique and helps us all understand what some of us really have no clues about, but have assumed we did.

Many thanks - please contribute more as you feel led. smiley
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by pilgrim1(f): 3:07pm On Jan 10, 2008
@Gamine,

I am thankful that each time I click to read what people are saying on this subject, there is always something interesting that strikes me in each contributor's entry. This is one more interesting line in yours:

Gamine:

"once the purpose of a thing isnt known
Abuse is inevitable"

That is a helpful line that may help a lot of us bear our minds on the subject - and it really doesn't matter whatever initials one assumes (VR, NSR, NR).

I was just have a tete-a-tete with a colleague and our chat came to something bordering on the present subject. The one question she asked before leaving my office was: "there must be something about this thing that suddenly everybody wants their pata below their ankles!"

Now, that got me thinking. WHY is there a mad rush these days in many quarters to appear in Adam's (or Eve's) suit? After the Fall, man became suddenly conscious that he was naked - and the natural thing was to try and hide his unclothedness. However, what is happening these days is that, rather than seek to adopt decorum on our bodies, many today simply seek to glorify what speaks of shame.

However, I do not mean to sound like eerything about sex is negative. The one thing that I'm seeking is to invite a good discussion on the subject so that each person's contribution will help others in their problem areas, as well foster a mindset that will hold this gift in high esteem. smiley
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jan 10, 2008
Interesting topic but all i can read so far are just philosophies. The real world is not about what you THINK but about realities . . . and the reality is that sex stares us in the face everyday. On TV, in schools, on billboards . . . we are constantly told or forced to swallow the "lie" that sex is the answer to all our problems and that the best woman is one who is a gorgeous sex object.

Anytime you here or read about "love" just substitute the word "sex" there. It is easy to come here and play the moral card but pls to stay clean in this our world is a constant struggle between right and wrong. The sad thing is the line between them is too blurred to recognise.
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jan 10, 2008
Every sunday (since I can remember) I went to church with my mother. As I grew up I still believed in Jesus Christ as my Lord and personal saviour. But going to church was more about a ritual, keeping appearances rather than understanding what the bible is all about until a certain man preached one fateful sunday. He seperated christians (not unbelievers) into two groups--

1) A surfer --- one who surfs on the ocean surface (surface dwellers). Meaning those who do not read their bibles, who do not know that they need to have a deep relationship with God by meditation. They dwell more on the flesh rather than the spirit. This group has a greater tendency of backsliding. (Which was the group I actually belong)

2) A Diver--- one who dives into the ocean, digs deep to search. Meaning those who meditate by having a quiet time with God, read the bible, those who understand it is not about religion but relationship.

Why I stated all these is because I had to have a rethink on the kind of life I wanted to live. I was not the type that read my bible, but spent most of my time reading romance novels. Did it improve my mind, no, but it tainted my spirit and mind. And since I wanted to dwell more on the spirit I got rid of all the romance novels and focused on the bible. I'm not totally ignorant about sex, the knowledge I grapsed from the reproductive system during biology class was enough for me to know where this is going and what happens when this accepts.
But I've also come to understand that the words pre-marital sex is more softer on the ears than the word fornication. That's why pre-marital sex is used more often these days to define what we already know is fornication.
I've also come to understand that if you do not have sex before marriage you won't die cheesy wink.
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by TayoD1(m): 4:53pm On Jan 10, 2008
@Davidylan,

There's my answer! The crossed-out ones do not apply.
did you notice pilgrim1's response to my query above?! Bro, that which thou doest, do quickly o. As for me, i have finished my own race in that regard, else I would have being in pursuit.
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jan 10, 2008
Tayo-D

There's my answer! The crossed-out ones do not apply.

My brother . . . the word in red is of utmost significance. tongue
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by TayoD1(m): 5:47pm On Jan 10, 2008
@Davidylan,

My brother . . . the word in red is of utmost significance.
Bro, that one na small matter. God is able to change the minds of kings - you inclusive. I just want you to be aware of the possibilities.

I think the babe has a whole lot to offer, and since you bear the same first name with my first son and the same second name with my second son, I just can't but desire what is good for you! wink
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by dafidixone(m): 6:09pm On Jan 10, 2008
God created man to enjoy SEX but He do not approve of the abuse of it such as "Fornication" Sex before Marriage and "Adultry" Sex outside your Matrimony right.

The fact remains that every body like Sex, Sex is a very sweet experience. But beware devil may use it agaist you grin
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by Gamine(f): 6:36pm On Jan 10, 2008
We know these things stare us in the face, from our waking moments to the time our eyes close at night

But i have come to know that, a proper understanding of what sex is all about is what would help
if only people would just take the time, to learn something for themselves
take the time to think,
is it worth it?
having sex without a lifetime commitment,

Doing sex the wrong way leads to more heartbreaks/pains than not.

Nobody can be holier than God, its ok to be tempted, we are human
but we pray not to fall into the temptation.
there is no law in the bible that leads to mans detriment, so i really wonder why we keep running far away fromm the truth.
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by osisi5: 6:45pm On Jan 10, 2008
stillwater:

Every sunday (since I can remember) I went to church with my mother. As I grew up I still believed in Jesus Christ as my Lord and personal saviour. But going to church was more about a ritual, keeping appearances rather than understanding what the bible is all about until a certain man preached one fateful sunday. He seperated christians (not unbelievers) into two groups--

1) A surfer --- one who surfs on the ocean surface (surface dwellers). Meaning those who do not read their bibles, who do not know that they need to have a deep relationship with God by meditation. They dwell more on the flesh rather than the spirit. This group has a greater tendency of backsliding. (Which was the group I actually belong)

2) A Diver--- one who dives into the ocean, digs deep to search. Meaning those who meditate by having a quiet time with God, read the bible, those who understand it is not about religion but relationship.

Why I stated all these is because I had to have a rethink on the kind of life I wanted to live. I was not the type that read my bible, but spent most of my time reading romance novels. Did it improve my mind, no, but it tainted my spirit and mind. And since I wanted to dwell more on the spirit I got rid of all the romance novels and focused on the bible. I'm not totally ignorant about sex, the knowledge I grapsed from the reproductive system during biology class was enough for me to know where this is going and what happens when this accepts.
But I've also come to understand that the words pre-marital sex is more softer on the ears than the word fornication. That's why pre-marital sex is used more often these days to define what we already know is fornication.
I've also come to understand that if you do not have sex before marriage you won't die cheesy wink.

My sister you can say it again.
Nobody has ever been rushed to the emergency room for lack of sex but millions have died as a consequence of sex.
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by mrpataki(m): 6:45pm On Jan 10, 2008
Happy New Year to everyone in the religion forum.

What an interesting topic. Been a long while I contributed to the religion section. undecided Heres my bit though. . . . . . . . . .

pilgrim.1:

I was just have a tete-a-tete with a colleague and our chat came to something bordering on the present subject. The one question she asked before leaving my office was: "there must be something about this thing that suddenly everybody wants their pata below their ankles!"
There is a lot that makes sex what it is today. Sex is money. And the love for money is the root of all evil. When fashion outfit designs a type of dress, they try to evaluate how sexy is the piece of dressing. The more sexier it is, the more money they make. Sex has pratically taken away the senses of some people. Almost every advert on tv has to portray a sense of sex in it.

I was watching the other day on tv, an advert to come as a tourist to visit a particular country, all they could show was a pretty lady smiling at the camera, I asked myself if I visit this country, is it just pretty ladies they have in this country? What a subtle message they are trying to pass out. Toothpaste adverts will never show you the teeth of a 50 year old man and woman, rather it is a young woman with all features entincingly knocking, smiling a sex appeal to you with enhanced camera effect on her teeth. Like this one: grin

pilgrim.1:

Now, that got me thinking. WHY is there a mad rush these days in many quarters to appear in Adam's (or Eve's) suit? After the Fall, man became suddenly conscious that he was naked - and the natural thing was to try and hide his unclothedness. However, what is happening these days is that, rather than seek to adopt decorum on our bodies, many today simply seek to glorify what speaks of shame.
If we go back to the Genesis of all these things which starts with Adam and Eve. When Eve discovered that she was naked, she covered herself with fig leaves! When God came and he realised that man knew he was naked, God covered and clothed man and woman with tunics of skin. Genesis 3:21

Today man has dropped this tunic of skin have gone back to its own fabrication of sewn fig leaves. It is more trendy and fashionable to dress almost naked in our generation. A dress that does not show your full cleavages both for the man and woman is not considered sexy enough.

pilgrim.1:

However, I do not mean to sound like eerything about sex is negative. The one thing that I'm seeking is to invite a good discussion on the subject so that each person's contribution will help others in their problem areas, as well foster a mindset that will hold this gift in high esteem. smiley
Sex is good, I must say. Only if we in our generation, keep it under the borders of where it should be.
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jan 10, 2008
Tayo-D:

@Davidylan,
Bro, that one na small matter. God is able to change the minds of kings - you inclusive. I just want you to be aware of the possibilities.

I think the babe has a whole lot to offer, and since you bear the same first name with my first son and the same second name with my second son, I just can't but desire what is good for you! wink

Bros I am more than aware that the babe is the answer to a lot of prayers.  smiley Perhaps the Lord is using you to open my eyes to see something i havent been seeing before.  wink Now just where is that lady in question?

I am more than honored to share names with your two boys!  smiley May they grow up to be soldiers of Christ just like their daddy! Amen!
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by cgift(m): 6:50pm On Jan 10, 2008
I usually sarcastically ridicule my wife whenever I remember our wedding night; the first time I touched her, broke her hymen and painted the room red! We laugh at it and she demands that I forever buy her flowers to show that I deflowered her! The experience always make me view her as a pet that must be preserved and not hurt and which must be watered even after a two kids. Met what I expected and loved and still love it! Oh! Its not about  virginity. Sorry!

Sex is for Pleasure. Sex is for Procreation. Sex is for intimacy. Intimacy of a couple is never complete without consummating with Sex. Sex is paradoxical: it is meant to show ushow intimately God would like to be entwined within our beings. The bible uses often the clause: , and Adam knew his wife, The word KNOW is deeper than you can ever think. Everytime you have Sex (with your wife please), let it remind you that you ought to seek to have that intimacy with God your creator.

Remember, Sex is for this earth alone! Angels have no sex organs! Appetite dies out and what remains in the relationship? So, better than Sex, seek partnership that marriage offers. The abuse of Sex ires God deeply and the black man was the first to suffer a damning punishment from God for this violation of the use of Sex.

Cheers!
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by osisi5: 6:51pm On Jan 10, 2008
mrpataki:

Happy New Year to everyone in the religion forum.

What an interesting topic. Been a long while I contributed to the religion section. undecided Heres my bit though. . . . . . . . . .
There is a lot that makes sex what it is today. Sex is money. And the love for money is the root of all evil. When fashion outfit designs a type of dress, they try to evaluate how sexy is the piece of dressing. The more sexier it is, the more money they make. Sex has pratically taken away the senses of some people. Almost every advert on tv has to portray a sense of sex in it.

I was watching the other day on tv, an advert to come as a tourist to visit a particular country, all they could show was a pretty lady smiling at the camera, I asked myself if I visit this country, is it just pretty ladies they have in this country? What a subtle message they are trying to pass out. Toothpaste adverts will never show you the teeth of a 50 year old man and woman, rather it is a young woman with all features entincingly knocking, smiling a sex appeal to you with enhanced camera effect on her teeth. Like this one: grin
If we go back to the Genesis of all these things which starts with Adam and Eve. When Eve discovered that she was naked, she covered herself with fig leaves! When God came and he realised that man knew he was naked, God covered and clothed man and woman with tunics of skin. Genesis 3:21

Today man has dropped this tunic of skin have gone back to its own fabrication of sewn fig leaves. It is more trendy and fashionable to dress almost naked in our generation. A dress that does not show your full cleavages both for the man and woman is not considered sexy enough.
Sex is good, I must say. Only if we in our generation, keep it under the borders of where it should be.

My brother,may God help us.
I feel sorry for you men that have to keep swallowing saliva while walking down the street.
The number of girls including the morbidly obese and small small girls that hawk their wares is astounding.
Re: Sex: An Enigmatic Subject? by osisi5: 6:54pm On Jan 10, 2008
cgift:

I usually sarcastically ridicule my wife whenever I remember our wedding night; the first time I touched her, broke her hymen and painted the room red! We laugh at it and she demands that I forever buy her flowers to show that I deflowered her! The experience always make me view her as a pet that must be preserved and not hurt and which must be watered even after a two kids. Met what I expected and loved and still love it! Oh! Its not about virginity. Sorry!

Sex is for Pleasure. Sex is for Procreation. Sex is for intimacy. Intimacy of a couple is never complete without consummating with Sex. Sex is paradoxical: it is meant to show ushow intimately God would like to be entwined within our beings. The bible uses often the clause: , and Adam knew his wife, The word KNOW is deeper than you can ever think. Everytime you have Sex (with your wife please), let it remind you that you ought to seek to have that intimacy with God your creator.

Remember, Sex is for this earth alone! Angels have no sex organs! Appetite dies out and what remains in the relationship? So, better than Sex, seek partnership that marriage offers. The abuse of Sex ires God deeply and the black man was the first to suffer a damning punishment from God for this violation of the use of Sex.

Cheers!

Interesting submission
so underneath all that "Praise the Lord" is a tiger
The Lord's name be praised.

Sex is good
With the right person and in a loving marriage,it's a thing to be desired.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Jesus Endorses Making The Rich Richer And The Poor Poorer / Should Pastors/ministries Sell Their Books And Messages? / For Christians: What Exactly Does Christianity Offer??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.