Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,658 members, 7,820,299 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:44 PM

3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria (34428 Views)

Don't Lose Your House To A Bulldozer: The Dangers Of Buying Property In Lagos / AMEN ESTATE PHASE 2,WITH 3M DEPOSIT YOU OWN A PLOT,PRICE INCREASES SOON / Landlord Blasts Outgoing Tenants Over Toilet Misuse: "Are These Humans Or Pigs?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by Grupo(m): 2:41pm On Oct 28, 2018
chukzyfcbb:

when last did your landlord touch the rent before you start claiming it's unfair. Just 10k? that one no be increase now....

It would have been fair if he cared about the welfare of the people living on his property, but he doesn't, he only cares about money. Sometime this year, we had to stay without water for close to 3 days because they couldn't fix a simple broken pipe. In fact, I mobilized some people and we put together to repair the pipe. Should the tenants be the ones repairing a landlord's property for him when we were not the ones that damaged it in the first place.

10k may be small but when someone just comes from nowhere and asks you to pay an extra 10k when you already budgeted for the former amount, then it is not funny.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by Cyoung4real(m): 2:42pm On Oct 28, 2018
Smart3856bwmr:
Gt
every time contact you, contact you.

you no go use those tools go work? abi to collect big money no dey hungry you ni?
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by mbjsuki(m): 2:43pm On Oct 28, 2018
post=72480274:
Nigeria: The country where landlord see themselves as gods!

You also forget to mention that some tenants also behaves like Al Capone, owe you 5 years rents yet parades themselves on social media as the owners of the house. Redecorate and reconstruct your house without approval!

Ibo people are the waste in this category! Never will I ever admit any ibo man or woman or by relation to my house again.
Don't be quick to blame the landlord. Do you know what the rate of land Use Charges are currently?

1 Like

Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by chukzyfcbb: 2:47pm On Oct 28, 2018
Grupo:

It would have been fair if he cared about the welfare of the people living on his property, but he doesn't, he only cares about money. Sometime this year, we had to stay without water for close to 3 days because they couldn't fix a simple broken pipe. In fact, I mobilized some people and we put together to repair the pipe. Should the tenants be the ones repairing a landlord's property for him when we were not the ones that damaged it in the first place.

10k may be small but when someone just comes from nowhere and asks you to pay an extra 10k when you already budgeted for the former amount, then it is not funny.

Well That's his responsiblity, although some if these tenants can misuse the privilege that a landlord is taking care of his house. They even expect a landlord to come and repair the sink they use inside their kitchen because he has maintenance attitude smiley

Do tenants pay for service charges? I guess not, so if a landlord should repair stuffs like that, its out of his good will.

Over here rents increase in 50k ,100,150k + for flats.
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by tunary(m): 2:54pm On Oct 28, 2018
It is almost impossible to change the mind of your landlord if he wishes to increase his house rent so negotiation is out of it

Human beings value money like they value their lives, some even value money more than their lives
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by Aystarz: 2:54pm On Oct 28, 2018
chukzyfcbb:
lool

How can you negotiate rent with a landlord when you are known to delay rent payment.

Some people pay their rent 6minths after when its over due, how do you think that helps in negotiating?

Moving out? I will be happy if some tenants move out because it gives me ample opportunity to re arrange the house and put it a higher rent!

Sometimes its hard to raise rent prices simply because so so tenant is an Old client in the compound, so if you wan move out na to my advantage ! smiley

More so, as a wise landlord when tenants pay their rent, you send them a sound warning that next year rent will be increased so they either prepare for next year or be ready to pack out

#Cunny man die, cunny man bury am smiley

The word is 'cunning'.... Olodo entitled landlord.

1 Like

Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by perryy(m): 2:56pm On Oct 28, 2018
Thank you Lord. I remembered I actually negotiated in 2013 in a very tight room and parlour self contain which I won't recommend to my enemy now. This life is really unpredictable!

1 Like

Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by SyndyB(m): 2:57pm On Oct 28, 2018
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by arrestdarrester: 2:58pm On Oct 28, 2018
hisexcellency34:
Number one is rubbish. Tell the landlord to allow you think about it. Think about what? It's his house. Your opinion doesn't count

I'll think about it is the beginning of negotiation. Intact the Op did a good job following it closely with option 2.

That alone would make a landlord think a faithful tenant is about leaving his property.
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by SyndyB(m): 3:02pm On Oct 28, 2018
24hoursreporter:
Getting a notice of house rent increment from your landlord is obviously one of the worst ways to start a day. As a matter of fact, you will be so frustrating that you tend to transfer aggression on anybody. God save madam if she dares ask of money that day.

Sadly, this is the reality people are facing in Nigeria today. As you read this article, someone just got a house rent increment notice. The most painful part of this is the fact that most people don’t have a clue about what to do when they receive this notice.

Therefore, in this article, you will learn the 3 things to do when landlord increases your house rent.

Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent

#1. Tell The Landlord To Give You Time To Think About It

One of the things to do when landlord increases your house rent is to request for time to think about it. You don’t need to make an impulse decision as to whether you will continue to stay in the house or not. Rather think about it thoroughly.

As a matter of fact, you need to match your current expenses with your income and see the likely effect the proposed increment will have on your financial health. The decision you will make will be based on your analysis of your financial strength.

#2. Negotiate If Possible

You can have a heart to heart conversation with your landlord. Negotiate with him passionately and if possible let them know that you may have no option but to leave the house.

If you have a good record of paying your rent as at when due, he may want to keep you. Therefore, he may likely reduce the new price for you a little.

#3. Moving Out

Moving out is one of the things to do when landlord increases your house rent. However, it is advisable to see moving out as last resort. In fact, you have to consider moving out after exhausting all other options.

Some of the conditions that will make you leave your apartment after an increment notice are;

-When you can’t afford the proposed increment
-The landlord doesn’t pay attention to tenants complaints in the compound
-Common areas or amenities are not maintained
-Your neighbors are paying less down what you are paying in the same compound and house size

Source: http://www.24hoursreporter.com/2018/10/27/3-things-to-do-when-landlord-increases-your-house-rent-in-nigeria/

You have not said anything new from what we already know in a situation like that.
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by ogapikin: 3:03pm On Oct 28, 2018
nice tips.
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by emperorblog(m): 3:09pm On Oct 28, 2018
B3sty:
Thank God for his Blessings... For now, I don't have to pass through any Landlord wahala, I live in my own House and am so Happy... May God Bless all those aspiring to Build their own House...May God Bless our Hustle.... AMEN!!!

may god do our own also AMEN
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by TwentyOnePilots(m): 3:19pm On Oct 28, 2018
Only if I can put up copy of letter drafted to my landlord just today. Giving him tomorrow morning. The whole thing just weak me! undecided
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by Kossym(m): 3:19pm On Oct 28, 2018
I live in a compound where we ve 3bedroom 2 bedroom and 1 bedroom flat..I live in the one bedroom.. Care taker called me and told me landlord has increased my rent by 30k I sey for wot...she said it's not only me..rather everyone.. I said which landlord in his rit sense will increase 3br with 30k and still do same with 1 br...that I cnt pay suc...3 br sud pay 30k 2 br sud pay 20k and 1 br I will pay 10k... That's how it sud b done...she tot I was jokin...wen I transferred my rent.. I only adder 10k..she was askin for balance I said I am not owning anyone any dime....we re still on the mata till tomorrow.. One person must give up and certainly not me
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by PHILipu1(m): 3:21pm On Oct 28, 2018
flames01:
If you are shouting sai baba here, but haven't made enough money from BMC to build your own house, then you are a Useful Idiot.

Aisha buhari carries expensive bags, wear expensive watches costing millions of naira

Yusuf buhari bought powerbike costing million of naira

Buhari's Minister of communication has suddenly become stinkingly rich,

But here you are defending them on an empty stomach and as a hopeless tenant.

Do you really need anyone to tell you that you are a Useful Idiot?

Cc.

Buhariguy

Madridguy

Yarimo

Sarrki (the inconsistent zombie)

Butterflyleo

PHILIpu1

Babacele

If you are shouting Atikuloot and you don't own your own mansion from 1999 to 2015 before Buhari came on board,then your are a uselful basterd.

Because Atiku owns almost 150 houses and even abandon one in US.

His kids are all abroad.

Atiku has a private jet.

Atiku also bribed delegates with about 3 million each.

Cc:Flames01
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by Babacele: 3:30pm On Oct 28, 2018
flames01:
If you are shouting sai baba here, but haven't made enough money from BMC to build your own house, then you are a Useful Idiot.

Aisha buhari carries expensive bags, wear expensive watches costing millions of naira

Yusuf buhari bought powerbike costing million of naira

Buhari's Minister of communication has suddenly become stinkingly rich,

But here you are defending them on an empty stomach and as a hopeless tenant.

Do you really need anyone to tell you that you are a Useful Idiot?

Cc.

Buhariguy

Madridguy

Yarimo

Sarrki (the inconsistent zombie)

Butterflyleo

PHILIpu1

Babacele

mumu you wey Atiku and other PDP rogue stalwarts don build house for , give contract to, and empowered for life can't you just prove to us here the extent of your present wealth status just like the millions of Nigerians that PDP had changed their lives for good during its 16 years. Maybe we would stop being patriotic and start hero worshipping your highness, ekuke and by extension the Poverty Development Party - the noble club that lifted you and your family out of poverty. useless talker like you.
Maybe you think we are here to joke. Any contrary opinion to their stewpid expletives , they label you BMC. mtchew.

1 Like

Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by flames01: 3:34pm On Oct 28, 2018
Babacele:
mumu you wey Atiku and other PDP rogue stalwarts don build us for , give contract to, and empowered for life can't you just prove to us here the extent of your present wealth status just like the millions of Nigerians that PDP had changed their lives for good during its 16 years. Maybe we would stop being patriotic and start hero worshipping your highness, ekuke and by extension the Poverty Development Party - the noble club that lifted you and your family out of poverty. useless talker like you.
Maybe you think we are here to joke. Any contrary opinion to their stewpid expletives , they label you BMC. mtchew.

Where did you see me supporting Atiku? Did you make that thoughtless, stupid comment because you are a brainless Useful Idiot? It's just a question
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by Yudee8(m): 3:36pm On Oct 28, 2018
1. look for another house 2. Gather money 3. park out
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by Babacele: 3:45pm On Oct 28, 2018
flames01:

Where did you see me supporting Atiku? Did you make that thoughtless, stupid comment because you are a brainless Useful Idiot? It's just a question
stop pretending , come off it. It is obvious where your clueless allegiance lies. You think feigning being on the fence would work here. We ain't like brainless you who lack the ability to reason,analyse, weigh and deduce correctly. Back off dog or I roast you alive!
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by spiralwedge(m): 3:52pm On Oct 28, 2018
This is what I always did. I'd always been a good tenant that would take the house and its environs as mine. Even attend CDAs meeting on my own just to mingle, get updated with the going-ons in the area, and watch out for opportunities such as land, coop, etc.

1. I'd protest a little asking him to consider the economy.
2. If he was adamant, i'd insist on 6 months grace.
3. Then I would be on the look-out for a better house with better facilities in the same area, even next house, for the same increased rent amount or lower.
3. If not found, I'd start considering other parts of the town I'd found interesting, but not far from workplace, and with prospective.

Bottom line: i tried to get better option for the same amount or less.
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by flames01: 4:24pm On Oct 28, 2018
Babacele:
stop pretending , come off it. It is obvious where your clueless allegiance lies. You think feigning being on the fence would work here. We ain't like brainless you who lack the ability to reason,analyse, weigh and deduce correctly. Back off dog or I roast you alive!

You are such a nnetlaly blind bat. Show evidence of me supporting Atiku instead of telling yourself your preferred narrative like a Useful idiot
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by flames01: 4:24pm On Oct 28, 2018
Babacele:

You are such a mentally blind bat. Show evidence of me supporting Atiku instead of telling yourself your preferred narrative like a Useful idiot
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by B3sty(m): 4:48pm On Oct 28, 2018
emperorblog:

may god do our own also AMEN
Amen!!!
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by mechanics(m): 5:34pm On Oct 28, 2018
My landlord was very wicked and bias, so I had no option than to pack out, up till now his house is still vacant.
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:49pm On Oct 28, 2018
Me i didn't do any of this, I just pay the amount, now the rent is due again, I have started moving out my belongings gradually without letting him know, then call him i will be moving out no plan to renew sir
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by PapaAdanna: 5:57pm On Oct 28, 2018
post=72480274:
Nigeria: The country where some landlord see themselves as gods!

You have made good points about some tenants also bro, BUT we don't think it is not about any particular tribe, a bad tenant will always be a bad tenant!
But , we dont
May God grant our heart desires.

Hungry AFONJEES claiming landlord... Imagine Afonja and their nasty and dirty attitude within neighbourhood.
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by Babacele: 7:10pm On Oct 28, 2018
flames01:

You are such a mentally blind bat. Show evidence of me supporting Atiku instead of telling yourself your preferred narrative like a Useful idiot
Scallywag, tell it now by your life that you are not supporting Atiku!... ..brainless you who just picked on sai babaists to derail a tenant - landlord thread totally unrelated to politics because you are still pained and have been shedding bloody inconsolable tears ever since your saviour GEJ ,clueless ,was kicked out in 2015 by PMB think we are foolish like you.

Mumu brainless like you who is happy that Keyamo who has been hitting your only potential consolation to having another fraud regime was attacked by a fellow rabid dog fews days ago wants to feign neutrality with who? Sitting on which fence Mr Ostrich.
My arch enemy's enemy isn't my friend? Ask people around you to interpret that to you ekuke.
Mumu you want more evidence? Then be ready to have me break your head and stuff it with Atiku's poo. Weyrey like you.
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by jgbemson1: 7:43pm On Oct 28, 2018
in my own case after i paid my rent fee my landlady told me dat not d fee she is collecting fat she has increase d rent fee.. i ac bin stayin in her house for two years .. when she told me d rent has bin increase i just told her she is jus informing me but i av to negotiate wit her
d inreasement she added i av to pay her twuce , sometimes it beta u negotiate n plan ahead
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by flames01: 8:20pm On Oct 28, 2018
Babacele:
Scallywag, tell it now by your life that you are not supporting Atiku!... ..brainless you who just picked on sai babaists to derail a tenant - landlord thread totally unrelated to politics because you are still pained and have been shedding bloody inconsolable tears ever since your saviour GEJ ,clueless ,was kicked out in 2015 by PMB think we are foolish like you.

Mumu brainless like you who is happy that Keyamo who has been hitting your only potential consolation to having another fraud regime was attacked by a fellow rabid dog fews days ago wants to feign neutrality with who? Sitting on which fence Mr Ostrich.
My arch enemy's enemy isn't my friend? Ask people around you to interpret that to you ekuke.
Mumu you want more evidence? Then be ready to have me break your head and stuff it with Atiku's poo. Weyrey like you.

You just keep on ranting like an empty useful idiot. Show evidence, but he can't. Òdè Òpònú
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by Babacele: 9:13pm On Oct 28, 2018
flames01:

You just keep on ranting like an empty useful idiot. Show evidence, but he can't. Òdè Òpònú
I just upbraided you and foolish you can only deceive your fellow stewpid fools about your being on the fence ,Ostrich. Heared Òdè Òpònú is your family name, Dan iska,shege yaro.
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by flames01: 5:37pm On Oct 29, 2018
Babacele:
I just upbraided you and foolish you can only deceive your fellow stewpid fools about your being on the fence ,Ostrich. Heared Òdè Òpònú is your family name, Dan iska,shege yaro.

Useful Idiot, how had been your day? grin
Re: 3 Things To Do When Landlord Increases Your House Rent In Nigeria by Babacele: 5:44pm On Oct 29, 2018
flames01:

Useful Idiot, how had been your day? grin
I would pretend I didn't see that. Won't henceforth donate no energy to your elegies.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

* / Flood In Jakande, Lekki Lagos (Photos) / Cheapest Places To Buy Land In Lagos - Co-tenant

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.