Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,819 members, 7,810,147 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:40 PM

Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship - Foreign Affairs (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship (58443 Views)

Trump To End Birthright Citizenship Before Leaving Office. / No, The Fourteenth Amendment Does Not Authorize Birthright Citizenship / Trump Vows To Terminate US Green Card Lottery Programme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by akigbemaru: 8:22pm On Oct 30, 2018
onegig:

I would support him on this.

Yes. Citizen by birth should be the norm but the loopholes is that people now go to the US while pregnant on a visitor Visa get there and give birth. Their main aims aren't to visit or get the best medical help but just to guarantee the child US citizenship.

It's very open to abuse and should be made more stringent. Someone who is not contributing to the economy of a country should not benefit from the works of millions of others who have laboured to build such countries up.

If you want citizenship by birth it should be attached to the fact that the parents have been residents of the US for at least 2 to 5 years. This would discourage people going there just to seek citizenship for their kids.
Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by akigbemaru: 8:23pm On Oct 30, 2018
planetx:
Make Nigeria great again. Americans did not run away during the great depression, and the general mood in the country among it's citizens not only Trump now is very anti immigrant. So stay in your country and create your own paradise, America doesn't owe the poor of the world a living.
Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by Nobody: 8:25pm On Oct 30, 2018
Mynd44:
Someone should please tell him he can't change the constitution with an executive order. He needs congress
Find out how that law came about before you think he needs the Congress... I also think it is long overdue for an override

2 Likes

Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by akigbemaru: 8:25pm On Oct 30, 2018
TimeMachine:

He can pass a New Immigration Law by Executive Order and enforce it, thereby, overriding the previous one.

Finally, a President with some balls. That loophole has always been used to raise US kids, now people have bragging rights based on countries their children are born. Trump is doing great. Let everyone stay put in their countries and build this planet one city at a time.
Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by akigbemaru: 8:26pm On Oct 30, 2018
Yuletide25:
that's a welcome development, I really commend those that put up this great idea,,how can anyone just come and claim citizenship of another country just because their parents gave birth to them there, even when the so called parents are not domiciled in that particular country

it's not good

LINDA IKEJI is a case study, just because of US citizenship she travelled all the way to Atlanta Georgia to give birth to her child

what kind of rubbish is that

does it mean she's not a proud Nigerian

where as that is her birth country

PLEASE O THEY SHOULD DO FAST AND PASS THE BILL INTO LAW TO CURTAIL ALL THESE NIGERIA POLITICIANS AND CELEBRITIES FROM ENJOYING SUCH AN UNDESERVING RIGHT
Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by handsomeyinka(m): 8:26pm On Oct 30, 2018
Shehunoshewhat:
Why are Nigerians bothered

Slaves! angry
Ain't you one of them?
Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by akigbemaru: 8:27pm On Oct 30, 2018
Saintp:
If I read well, his aim is to stop visitors and illegal immigrants from giving birth to citizens. Legal immigrants will still give birth to US citizens .

I think this is good move for Nigeria. It is because of this cheap access to the US citizenship that our healthcare is in a mess. If the likes of Buhari and other politicians including celebs and rich Nigerians do not have access to developed countries to take advantage of, by now they would have fixed Nigeria healthcare and other sectors
Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by akigbemaru: 8:30pm On Oct 30, 2018
bongolistik:
Yes but isn't it ridiculous, just because you want to earn the country's citizenship, from nowhere you became pregnant in your country and you just start heading to US on the week of parturition. What have you done for the country, what have you contributed to the country? But people just want to go and give birth there so their kids will benefit from being called a citizen of other country.

Truly his decision is in order, you have to earn it as a person before you can have a child to become citizen. And not just flying to another man's country for the sole purpose of putting to bed. Trump's action is equal to putting the country's interest first at heart.

Maybe one prostitute from nowhere becomes pregnant, next because she has flight ticket fair from her oshofree business, she is immediately headed to US to give birth, does that really make economic sense to country of reputes allowing such?

Earn it and you will be allowed to become their citizens. And I believe the decision will not be applicable to all, but to those types that only travel to the States for the sole purpose of childbirth and earning citizenship
Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by akigbemaru: 8:31pm On Oct 30, 2018
drnoel:

Bros but that's actually the point.
I believe if he doesn't know, his handlers must have told him. He may be an idiot but many of his handlers are quite bright.

1) So first point of action I think he will do is to set the ball rolling by executive order.
2) All hell breaks loose and many go to court.
3) Courts can't decide so they throw it back to legislative
4) Gbam, 14 th amendment becomes shaky. Cos repubs have majority, it's changed.
5) Executive order becomes an act of legislature and law.

NB: It will take them minimum 18 months to accomplish. It's probably what they have wanted all along cos am sure they know they won't be voted back.
Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by lonelydora: 8:33pm On Oct 30, 2018
9jvirgin:
President Trump plans to sign an executive order that would remove the right to citizenship for babies of non-citizens and unauthorized immigrants born on U.S. soil, he said yesterday in an exclusive interview for "Axios on HBO," a new four-part documentary news series debuting on HBO this Sunday at 6:30 p.m. ET/PT.

Why it matters: This would be the most dramatic move yet in Trump's hardline immigration campaign, this time targeting "anchor babies" and "chain migration." And it will set off another stand-off with the courts, as Trump’s power to do this through executive action is debatable to say the least.

Trump told "Axios on HBO" that he has run the idea of ending birthright citizenship by his counsel and plans to proceed with the highly controversial move, which certainly will face legal challenges.

"It was always told to me that you needed a constitutional amendment. Guess what? You don't," Trump said, declaring he can do it by executive order.

When told that's very much in dispute, Trump replied: "You can definitely do it with an Act of Congress. But now they're saying I can do it just with an executive order."

"We're the only country in the world where a person comes in and has a baby, and the baby is essentially a citizen of the United States ... with all of those benefits," Trump continued. "It's ridiculous. It's ridiculous. And it has to end." "It's in the process. It'll happen ... with an executive order."

The president expressed surprise that "Axios on HBO" knew about his secret plan: "I didn't think anybody knew that but me. I thought I was the only one. "

Behind the scenes: "Axios on HBO" had been working for weeks on a story on Trump’s plans for birthright citizenship, based on conversations with several sources, including one close to the White House Counsel’s office.

The legal challenges would force the courts to decide on a constitutional debate over the 14th Amendment, which says:

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

Be smart: Few immigration and constitutional scholars believe it is within the president's power to change birthright citizenship, former U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services chief counsel Lynden Melmed tells Axios.

But some conservatives have argued that the 14th Amendment was only intended to provide citizenship to children born in the U.S. to lawful permanent residents — not to unauthorized immigrants or those on temporary visas. John Eastman, a constitutional scholar and director of Chapman University's Center for Constitutional Jurisprudence, told "Axios on HBO" that the Constitution has been misapplied over the past 40 or so years. 

He says the line "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" originally referred to people with full, political allegiance to the U.S. — green card holders and citizens.

Michael Anton, a former national security official in the Trump administration, recently took up this argument in the Washington Post.

Anton said that Trump could, via executive order, "specify to federal agencies that the children of noncitizens are not citizens" simply because they were born on U.S. soil. (It’s not yet clear whether Trump will take this maximalist argument, though his previous rhetoric suggests there’s a good chance.)

But others — such as Judge James C. Ho, who was appointed by Trump to Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, in New Orleans — say the line in the amendment refers to the legal obligation to follow U.S. laws, which applies to all foreign visitors (except diplomats) and immigrants. 

He has written that changing how the 14th Amendment is applied would be "unconstitutional."

https://www.africansinus.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=379

Good move. Everyone should stay in his house.

So all these Nigerians rushing to US to give birth won't do it again

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by akigbemaru: 8:34pm On Oct 30, 2018
uridadole:

You missed the point. Buhari in my opinion is rather like trump in patriotism. I feel Nigerian politicians are more of the problem coloring every good intention as bad. Check the policy of non Nigerians working in Nigeria to be paid in Naira
hermesprogidy post=72600549:

Lol...you are absolutely correct. Phone typing can be exhausting.
a
hermesprogidy:

Lol...you are absolutely correct. Phone typing can be exhausting.
nd in Nigerian bank as against the previous practice of paying expatriates in USD and crediting their off shore accounts. Politicians say the govt is discouraging foreign investment. Check Mtn repatriation saga, government is said to be discouraging investors.
There are fundamental rules to abide which enable a nation benefits from the presence of foreign businesses and individuals.
Any attempt to correct the subsisting anomalies is politicized.
If Trump was Nigeria's president, you will not believe the angle of criticism from numerous unpatriotic elements among Nigerian politicians.

Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by Nobody: 9:17pm On Oct 30, 2018
Originalsly:

What exactly do you mean by Africa is making strides?...and where would you think the West will be without Africa? Do you realize the West cannot stand without Africa?..do you ever stop for a minute to think why the West is building military bases in Africa?... why the Congo is soooo important?...or you believe all of this is to fight terrorists?...as they claim? Europe and the West is nothing without raw materials....Africa has what is needed for the 21st century...how we control is another matter.

when i say strides,i relate to personal gains of individuals..thats why you have more rich young men now more than anytime in the country
they are makjng strides despite the messed up state of the nation

also your description of why the West needs africa(africans should keep dreaming) is the basic definition of globalism...if all countries were Nationalist at heart,they will shut off other countried
Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by desertboom(m): 10:13pm On Oct 30, 2018
President Trump, ride on.
It's long overdue

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by Gerrard59(m): 10:39pm On Oct 30, 2018
LIVEBYTRUTH:
Good move Mr President, i have one request Mr President, just hasten your support for the actualization of the Biafra republic , you will only see Biafra students and diplomats in your country, and not the foolish population you are getting from the Nigeria migrants, who ran away because of the rotten systems , which the rulers plunged the country into,they sent their children and cronies away to your hard built country. Check the records of the people that throw away all those unproductive babies in your country.They are from the rich and corrupt elites Nigerians. Average Nigerians can't afford the maternity trip to your God's own country. Biafra Nation , will reduce the influx of parasites into your country. God bless ,Nnamdi Kanu, all the Biafrans, D. Trump , Bibi Netanyahu , USA,ISRAEL and all the nations that has realized the mistakes they made in supporting Gowon/Nigeria during the civil war. Britain mislead you people for their selfish interests .

Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by Ugosample(m): 11:18pm On Oct 30, 2018
mabelly:
Great news... All these our politicians, artists and co running to the US to give birth to their children so they can have dual citizenship will end.

And how is that a good thing?

Nigerians and bad belle grin cheesy
Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by Ugosample(m): 11:20pm On Oct 30, 2018
Admin401:

So It's even possible. Lol Rebuplicans control congress. Piece of cake.
Not so fast
constitutional amendment has to carry majority of state legislatures too

Dead on arrival
Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by Ugosample(m): 11:22pm On Oct 30, 2018
holluwai:
Why are people on this forum, majority of them so hypocritical? Like if you had the chance of having your kids or you yourself to be a citizen of America by birth; you won’t jump at it.

don't mind them cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by Ugosample(m): 11:25pm On Oct 30, 2018
Cantonese:

But let's be very honest. These people worked hard to get their countries to the levels they presently are. Why can't our own leaders fix our country and stop this issue of abandoning our country?

Most Asian countries do not grant citizenship to people of other countries. Do not hope as a black man to get citizenship of Asian and Arab countries. Why should people of those countries go to the USA and request for citizenship? Fair must be fair.

Nigerians in India and Malaysia do not have rights. Visas for Nigerians cannot be extended on expiration in Malaysia, yet Indians living in Nigeria hold dual passports. Can you get an Indian passport as a Nigerian? Yet Indians in the USA and Europe hold passports of those countries. I agree with Mr. Trump on this. It takes two to tango I submit.

I'm not sure of that tho

I have seen where many many have acquired citizenship of other countries in Asia (especially south Korea)

Even its possible for India

the only problem is....

who wants to acquire an Indian passport undecided

it's practically useless
Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by Ugosample(m): 11:28pm On Oct 30, 2018
Richdad50:
Those who watch CNN are ot doing themselves any favour. Foxnews gives you solid view of trumps america and not the usual emotional rascality of Fakenews CNN

Fox news is just as biased as CNN

two biased media outfits leaning to the right and left respectively

you can NEVER get objective news in either of them

people like Fox because Fox is telling them what they want to hear And It appeals to their biases and vice versa for CNN :\
Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by Ugosample(m): 11:33pm On Oct 30, 2018
TimeMachine:

He can pass a New Immigration Law by Executive Order and enforce it, thereby, overriding the previous one.

Finally, a President with some balls. That loophole has always been used to raise US kids, now people have bragging rights based on countries their children are born. Trump is doing great. Let everyone stay put in their countries and build this planet one city at a time.

An executive order over ride the 14th amendment?

Why are Nigerians mumu like this

Have you asked yourself why no American president has been able to use executive orders to enforce gun control and regulations?

Because there is an amendment to make rubbish of whatever order you sign in that dept
Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by Ugosample(m): 11:37pm On Oct 30, 2018
Dagger79:
Mehn i love this man with all my heart. Our so called rich nigerian families una dey hear so cheesy grin grin

This is the deep reason why many Nigerians paupers are jubilating over this exercise in futility

deep seated jealousy

They can't get it, tongue and now, the elite too will not be able to get it.

that repugnant tendency and mentality is what has kept Nigeria a shithole country undecided

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by Ugosample(m): 11:42pm On Oct 30, 2018
AngelicBeing:
tongue
this man again

oya show yaself
I want to laugh
Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by Ugosample(m): 11:45pm On Oct 30, 2018
jaxxy:

Trump is just a realist. U can’t stand and watch ur country become smtnelse it wasn’t intended to be just because u want to please everybody. There are other ways to be a citizen if u so choose bt what’s special about being a us citizen anyways when ur real country is being destroyed because u have abandoned it to its faith.

Just look a Dubai taking its destiny into its hands other countries need to think for themselves and make it work. That’s Trumps mentality and he’s willing to help such countries improve. I only pity very poor countries bt Nigeria isn’t poor we are just useless to ourselves.

However i don’t think Trump has executive right to amend the law like that and birth right has its advantage and purpose bt as usual people will want to abuse it.

trump willing to "helo" such countries improve

you are a JOKER

Trump rhetoric is EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF

nothing more nothing less.

But then he won't be president forever

this is just a phase
Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by Ugosample(m): 11:48pm On Oct 30, 2018
Martinez19:
Trump loves all Americans be they black, white, brown etc. Obama was a failed president who lacked balls and integrity.

better shut your mouth there

"Obama is a failed president" my black arse

he was not perfect, but he tried his best and saved his country for collapse.

you think it's easy to steer your country out of recession and financial mess?

He is one of the best presidents America ever had

And if not for Trump's foolishness, he too has the potential of entering the "best president " bracket.

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by mabelly: 11:54pm On Oct 30, 2018
Ugosample:

And how is that a good thing?

Nigerians and bad belle grin cheesy

grin cheesy tongue tongue
Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by Ugosample(m): 11:56pm On Oct 30, 2018
dazzlingd:
Good, this will keep Nigerians and other Africans seeking cheap solution through earning of citizenship of other countries that was built through sweat and pains... Let everyone make their own country better.

Africa CANNOT get better

the toxic dead weight barbaric people far outnumber the ones who are civil brilliant and sensible

And with tgeur numbers, they perpetuate themselves into power and spoil the system, And then frustrate and even kill those who want to change things

in a normal setting, how can cretins like Buhari, Conde, Biya, Musoveni, that goat from Burundi and many others even win election to local govt

But they are presidents undecided
Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by Ugosample(m): 12:01am On Oct 31, 2018
blackgold2018:
To all this small minds who think giving birth in US makes their child great or better than others.
Greatness is mindset, u can be born in a shit hole village and still become president.

thsts very true

but having a western passport is a plus
.For mobility and all.

One thing I really hate is having to apply for visas to where others breeze in freely

I can't make impromptu trips with this useless Nigerian passport undecided

but you are right, greatness is inborn, and is cultivated

it's not a function of your passport ALONE
Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by Ugosample(m): 12:02am On Oct 31, 2018
Angrymode:
If Nigerian government have foresight, they would stop dual citizenship nonsense. It's either you are a Nigerian or Bleep off!

This way we will all have no other choice but to make Nigeria like the places we are running off to.

what is this one saying,
Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by Ugosample(m): 12:03am On Oct 31, 2018
Mcowubaba:

Will this really help 3rd world countries?
People are atikulating and buharing, anti-immigration rhetoric may have no effect on the governance of most 3rd world countries

You probably believe that if everybody stays back we will start demanding for good governance, it may not happen, especially in Nigeria, it's a doomed nation filled with mostly sycophants. They will still support recycled criminals

But give it to Trump, I don't support most of his ideologies, but he's a man of action and does what he Campaign to do

exactly

I don't support many of his ideologies too

but then, he has a point to be truthful and unbiased

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by Ugosample(m): 12:17am On Oct 31, 2018
milehigh06:

Africans bash globalism without realising that without globalism,Africa woukd be no where...reason africs is making strides now is because you have young kids who are able to tap into the global market to enrich themselves financially and mentally and then extend such knowledge to their communities

I weep for Nigeria

A lot of Africans are just naturally stupid...

it's the globalist agenda that enables an African, who has been dealt ruthlessly with by his wicked gov't earn some money online by doing jobs online and paid in dollars in return

killing globalism will kill that too.

What about exchange of ideas and tech

What will befall Africa if that bridge is burnt?

And the list is endless

One dimensional thinkers undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by Ugosample(m): 12:27am On Oct 31, 2018
blackgold2018:
Your statistics are wrong bro. I kno of a Dozzy group ex employee that was building his own business empire from his salaries he earned till he resigned to concentrate in his business(and many more similar cases)

How do u think innoson started? There're many more to mention a few. Don't even fu*ckin say I don't know there full story but they'l tell won't we want to hear.
Business adventure are not for nerds or for the lazy. What do you even think it's corruption?.

I'm from the east bro. Believe me with experience i have seen and witnessed billionaires that have made it through simply importing goods alone legitimately.

Sabi you won travel out, abi u won born your pikin outside the country. You can leave Nigeria in peace abeg... nw please leave my a** alone.

I'm an Igbo guy too with family members who are big in importation too

only if you knew how the game is played, you will not be talking likr this

It's extremely difficult to be a billionaire in Nigeria without being shady

take that from me.

not every one is morally bankrupt

but then, being extremely difficult is not the same as impossible

The digital space is the last hope for the Nigerian to make it big realky imo

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship by Ugosample(m): 12:28am On Oct 31, 2018
milehigh06:

when i say strides,i relate to personal gains of individuals..thats why you have more rich young men now more than anytime in the country
they are makjng strides despite the messed up state of the nation

also your description of why the West needs africa(africans should keep dreaming) is the basic definition of globalism...if all countries were Nationalist at heart,they will shut off other countried

true that

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Difference Between Trump And Clinton Brilliantly Summed Up In One Cartoon / Lars Vilks Dies In Car Accident (Pictures) / Former Translators Who Helped British Troops Left Behind In Afghanistan(Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.