Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,160 members, 7,953,607 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:30 PM

Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo (16493 Views)

Beautiful Picture Of Covenant University Stadium / Bishop Oyedepo: My Adopted Son Was Also Thrown Out Of Covenant University. / Tuition Fees For New (100L) Covenant University Students 2017/2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by Nobody: 7:48pm On Nov 05, 2018
HigherEd:

One of the reasons Oyedepo is a role model to me is he has a way of identifying things and replicating it.
His thought process can be summarised into this "if that man can do this to get that result then i can copy what he did and get his results". Case study: his replication of Yongi Cho's 1 million congregation operations. The resemblance between Covenant and ORU is beyond normal, from compulsory chapel attendance to corporate dressing, the entrepreneurial drive of stanford. Till today Covenant doesn't take transfer students - even from the USA and never awards honorary degrees.

Lee kuan yew of Singapore rarely did anything new to advance Singapore. In his words we simply copied other people's template and finetuned it to our own local need. This is the same brain power behind China's rise to prominence, they identify a problem, they study solutions of others and they go after it with everything they have. Case in study: China discovered its universities where lagging behind on all fronts. The country declared the "double first class mandate" which mandated 42 of China's best university to overtake western ones. Today, for the first time Tsinghua university China has surpassed Ntl Uni of Singapore has the bestAsian institution and is coming close to Harvard and the likes while surpassing many other ivy leagues.

That JF Kennedy's visionary spirit which says "Russia sent a man to the Space then America must send a man to the moon" is very absent in Africa's leadership. And when few people try to stir the waters we tell them many reasons why they can never succeed because we are too familiar with serial failures in govt.
This is profound and precise. Thanks a lot sir.
Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by GlorifiedTunde(m): 7:48pm On Nov 05, 2018
HigherEd:

One of the reasons Oyedepo is a role model to me is he has a way of identifying things and replicating it.
His thought process can be summarised into this "if that man can do this to get that result then i can copy what he did and get his results". Case study: his replication of Yongi Cho's 1 million congregation operations. The resemblance between Covenant and ORU is beyond normal, from compulsory chapel attendance to corporate dressing, the entrepreneurial drive of stanford. Till today Covenant doesn't take transfer students - even from the USA and never awards honorary degrees.

Lee kuan yew of Singapore rarely did anything new to advance Singapore. In his words we simply copied other people's template and finetuned it to our own local need. This is the same brain power behind China's rise to prominence, they identify a problem, they study solutions of others and they go after it with everything they have. Case in study: China discovered its universities where lagging behind on all fronts. The country declared the "double first class mandate" which mandated 42 of China's best university to overtake western ones. Today, for the first time Tsinghua university China has surpassed Ntl Uni of Singapore has the bestAsian institution and is coming close to Harvard and the likes while surpassing many other ivy leagues.

That JF Kennedy's visionary spirit which says "Russia sent a man to the Space then America must send a man to the moon" is very absent in Africa's leadership. And when few people try to stir the waters we tell them many reasons why they can never succeed because we are too familiar with serial failures in govt.

You're indeed a true soon and protege.
Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by blackmercyvelli(m): 7:49pm On Nov 05, 2018
Ok sir
Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by anochuko01(m): 7:49pm On Nov 05, 2018
AnyoneButAtiku:

Fanciful projections for the impressionable.
Never a dull moment grin
you can as well die before then.
Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by aynuel(m): 7:49pm On Nov 05, 2018
I’m THE ONE IJN
Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by OmaWillz: 7:51pm On Nov 05, 2018
And it shall come to pass before our very eyes.

Nigeria shall be great again and the Church will be part of making this happen.

Watch out!!! Be ye not mockers!!!

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by Ikpongiton: 7:53pm On Nov 05, 2018
you are doing great job,unlike others,who are importing professors in 2018.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by CodeTemplar: 7:56pm On Nov 05, 2018
jaxxy:
Producing a Nobel laureate is great bt being able to provide affordable bt yet quality education to thousands who can’t ever dream of it is a Greater achievement.

Pls add that to ur vision 2022.

There are people enjoying 100% scholarship in winners uni so that makes it free and even the govt that takes tax from you forcefully don't provide absolutely affordable education.
Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by Nobody: 7:59pm On Nov 05, 2018
Oyedepo's statement betrays his ignorance on what it takes to win a Nobel Prize.

2 Likes

Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 8:00pm On Nov 05, 2018
Pastor is smoking weed again.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by wonlasewonimi: 8:00pm On Nov 05, 2018
Let the countdown begin...
Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by jaxxy(m): 8:03pm On Nov 05, 2018
CodeTemplar:

There are people enjoying 100% scholarship in winners uni so that makes it free and even the govt that takes tax from you forcefully don't provide absolutely affordable education.

Covenant uni and the government don’t have same history, value or calling. The government can take tax and even decide to steal more from u so we know the govt is corrupt here bt in sane countries the government supports the helpless.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by dbtt: 8:04pm On Nov 05, 2018
HigherEd:

His thought process can be summarised into this "if that man can do this to get that result then i can copy what he did and get his results". Case study: his replication of Yongi Cho's 1 million congregation operations. The resemblance between Covenant and ORU is beyond normal, from compulsory chapel attendance to corporate dressing, the entrepreneurial drive of stanford. Till today Covenant doesn't take transfer students - even from the USA and never awards honorary degrees. He followed Harvard's principle of not venturing into subjects they were not prepared for. Reason, why CU(richest private school) has never never ventured into Law or Medicine. It is not fear but strategy-A strategy that works for Harvard till tomorrow.

You are a sage,I salute you HigherEd

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by Nobody: 8:15pm On Nov 05, 2018
IamaNigerianGuy:
Pastor is smoking weed again.

Covenant is the highest ranking Nigerian university on Times Higher Education Ranking. Honestly, Nigerian govt universities need to up their game especially the Unilags, UI,UNN, Unibens, ABU of these world that are living on past glory. College education has passed the level that they are currently operating at. Just take a look at Covenant's faculty of computer science and compare it to one of the first generation universities then you will know why Covenant is making strides.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by duality(m): 8:15pm On Nov 05, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Insha Allah they will.
Covenant University should just introduce mixed-dormitories.
That's the only way a future Nobel-Laureate can be birthed from the school.

Your posts are too childish.. All of them
Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 8:25pm On Nov 05, 2018
12inches1:

Covenant is the highest ranking Nigerian university on Times Higher Education Ranking. Honestly, Nigerian govt universities need to up their game especially the Unilags, UI,UNN, Unibens, ABU of these world that are living on past glory. College education has passed the level that they are currently operating at. Just take a look at Covenant's faculty of computer science and compare it to one of the first generation universities then you will know why Covenant is making strides.

Oga. Producing Nobel prize winners is a multi generational, capital intensive, endeavour. It cannot be wished into existence.
FYI, the local and international job market is chock-full of products of federal universities. Take a sample for yourself.

Some of us are not brainwashed

2 Likes

Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by RALPHOW(m): 8:32pm On Nov 05, 2018
HigherEd:

One of the reasons Oyedepo is a role model to me is he has a way of identifying successful things and replicating it.
His thought process can be summarised into this[i]"if that man can do this to get that result then i can copy what he did and get his results"[/i] Case study: his replication of Yongi Cho's 1 million congregation operations. The resemblance between Covenant and ORU is extraordinary, from compulsory chapel attendance to corporate dressing, the entrepreneurial drive of stanford. Till today Covenant doesn't take transfer students - even from the USA and never awards honorary degrees(deliberately cultivating prestige). He followed Harvard's principle of not venturing into programmes they were not prepared for. Reason, why CU(richest private school) has never never ventured into Law or Medicine. It is not fear but strategy-A strategy that works for Harvard till tomorrow.

Oyedepo once said on visiting ORU, Texas. "If Roberts can build this here, then it can happen anywhere in the World". Today CU has surpassed the University on which it was spiritually modelled after-at least by Times Higher standard - very soon i would complete a book titled Oyedepo: A Man with an Asian soul becauae i am convinced he is a visionary radical.

Lee kuan yew of Singapore rarely did anything new to advance Singapore. In his words we simply copied other people's template and finetuned it to our own local need. This is the same brain power behind China's rise to prominence, they identify a problem, they study solutions of others and they go after it with everything they have. Case in study: China discovered its universities where lagging behind on all fronts. The country declared the "double first class mandate" which mandated 42 of China's best university to overtake western ones. Today, for the first time Tsinghua university China has surpassed Ntl Uni of Singapore has the best Asian institution and is coming close to Harvard and the likes while surpassing many other ivy leagues.

You can see what they are trying to do with their football league. China doesn't wait for the wind of positive change, they force it to blow in their direction.

That JF Kennedy's visionary spirit which says "Russia sent a man to the Space then America must send a man to the Moon" is very absent in Africa's leadership. And when few people try to stir the waters we tell them many reasons why they can never succeed because we are too familiar with serial failures in govt.

I wish my state governor can follow this man of God in running the state finance like his church/CU.
Less than 20years , CU is already among the first 1000 Universities in the world.

1 Like

Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by Gerrard59(m): 8:33pm On Nov 05, 2018
barojana:

“You can’t be a world-class university without a Nobel Laureate. All researchers here must trust Him and acknowledge Him at every point of breakthrough. Please, trust Him, don’t share in His glory, then you have committed Him to perform,” he emphasised.

https://davidolaleye./2018/11/05/bishop-oyedepo-covenant-university-will-produce-a-nobel-prize-winner-before-2022/

Not totally true. Most top schools in Asia don't have a Nobel laureate either as a homegrown staff or even a poached one. NUS, KAIST, NTU, Seoul University etc. While I laud his ambitions and strides over the years, winning the Nobel prize especially in the science category would take years to fruition. Rather than target the Nobel Prize, he should look at the Abel's Prize, Fields' medal, Wolf's Prize, Albert Lasker medical prize, Japan's prize, Kyoto prize etc.

Nevertheless, it would be fantastic for a black individual to win a Nobel prize in the science category.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by Adakintroy: 8:34pm On Nov 05, 2018
You want to carry out dominion mandate. But you concernitrate attention of your school on the wealthy few percent.

One will think a pastor who is looking to win soul will concerntrate more on the greater numbers. Whatever it takes to win them over..offering free education is just but one tactics.

But I guess the soul of the elite are more important the the soul of the poor.

Was part is that the rich can afford their own schooling anywhere else. Yet by some act of magnanimity papa still offers more chance at improving their skillsets.

Paul said weather I have the gift of understanding all mystery and all knowledge but I have not loved I am nothing. Paul. He said so.
Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by RALPHOW(m): 8:35pm On Nov 05, 2018
IamaNigerianGuy:

Oga. Producing Nobel prize winners is a multi generational, capital intensive, endeavour. It cannot be wished into existence.
FYI, the local and international job market is chock-full of products of federal universities. Take a sample for yourself.

Some of us are not brainwashed

He said few years ago that CU will be among the first 1000 Universities before it clock 20years, and you know what? It happened. Truely Oyedepo is a man of vision.
Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by AkpaMgbor(m): 8:40pm On Nov 05, 2018
Look at them hyperventilating because of the lofty vision of a private university while their government owned unis are striking up and down and embezzling funds meant for researches like no man's business! That is the problem with nigerians, misplaced priorities!

3 Likes

Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by Gerrard59(m): 8:41pm On Nov 05, 2018
HigherEd:
The university should set it's gaze on Economics. Economics is a good place to start. The only problem would be in the area of policy adoption...

Africa is a fertile ground for Nobel Prizes because of the many challenges bedeviling the continent, so if the school can nurture specific young lecturers in Economics to pick up a problem and go after it with maximum vigour propelled by a funding pool larger than what they need, they would definitely come back with that coveted prize.

No be so dem take win Nobel prizes oh. These things take ages because while you're doing it in Ota, someone somewhere else has done same at a more advanced level. IMO, the best category to win a Nobel is in the chemistry or medicine/physiology category; by discovering a cure, say for Alzheimer's, a Nobel is sure.

Even the discoverers of CRISPER have not won a significant prize yet. Ah!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by vaxx: 8:47pm On Nov 05, 2018
HigherEd:
The university should set it's gaze on Economics. Economics is a good place to start. The only problem would be in the area of policy adoption...

Africa is a fertile ground for Nobel Prizes because of the many challenges bedeviling the continent, so if the school can nurture specific young lecturers in Economics to pick up a problem and go after it with maximum vigour propelled by a funding pool larger than what they need, they would definitely come back with that coveted prize.
Then oyedepo is not realistic or maybe he has myopic mind on what it takes to win nobel laurel. Usually what it takes to win a Nobel in economics is to write the seminal paper in what will eventually become a vibrant subfield. If other researchers consistently cite you as the originator of the research program they are working in, that puts you in the running for a Nobel.

People typically win their Nobel about twenty or thirty years after making the contribution that will eventually win it for them. The work needs to stand the test of time.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by bedspread: 8:58pm On Nov 05, 2018
Amen
Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by Ayemileto(m): 9:04pm On Nov 05, 2018
HigherEd:

One of the reasons Oyedepo is a role model to me is he has a way of identifying successful things and replicating it.
His thought process can be summarised into this "if that man can do this to get that result then i can copy what he did and get his results" Case study: his replication of Yongi Cho's 1 million congregation operations. The resemblance between Covenant and ORU is extraordinary, from compulsory chapel attendance to corporate dressing, the entrepreneurial drive of stanford. Till today Covenant doesn't take transfer students - even from the USA and never awards honorary degrees(deliberately cultivating prestige).

He followed Harvard's principle of not venturing into programmes they were not prepared for. Reason, why CU(richest private school) has never never ventured into Law or Medicine. It is not fear but strategy-A strategy that works for Harvard till tomorrow. When he declared Vision 10:2022, i'm sure NUC must have thought Oyedepo has actually gone mad grin No the man went and printed the vision everywhere on campus and kept repeating it to NUC anytime they visited. He led the management team to keep looking at the vision. I felt sorry for him that day he declared the vision. My lecturer was alarmed and felt insulted by the declaration of that vision, but today he is busy jumping telling everyone that CU is doing well. Now i don't feel sorry for him again. I now understand ridiculous ambitions are part of the 'Covenant Spirit'.

Oyedepo once said on visiting ORU, Texas. "If Roberts can build this here, then it can happen anywhere in the World". Today CU has surpassed the University on which it was spiritually modelled after-at least by Times Higher standard - very soon i would complete a book titled Oyedepo: A Man with an Asian soul becauae i am convinced he is a visionary radical.

Lee kuan yew of Singapore rarely did anything new to advance Singapore. In his words we simply copied other people's template and finetuned it to our own local need. This is the same brain power behind China's rise to prominence, they identify a problem, they study solutions of others and they go after it with everything they have. Case in study: China discovered its universities where lagging behind on all fronts. The country declared the "double first class mandate" which mandated 42 of China's best university to overtake western ones. Today, for the first time Tsinghua university China has surpassed Ntl Uni of Singapore as the best Asian institution and is coming close to Harvard and the likes while surpassing many other ivy leagues.

You can see what they are trying to do with their football league. China doesn't wait for the wind of positive change, they force it to blow in their direction.

That JF Kennedy's visionary spirit which says "Russia sent a man to the Space then America must send a man to the Moon" is very absent in Africa's leadership, dying out in Europe and on standstill in USA. And when few people try to stir the waters here in Africa we tell them many reasons why they can never succeed because we are too familiar with serial failures in govt.

Ifelola Olaleye

Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by vaxx: 9:27pm On Nov 05, 2018
HigherEd:

His thought process can be summarised into this "if that man can do this to get that result then i can copy what he did and get his results" Case study: his replication of Yongi Cho's 1 million congregation operations. The resemblance between Covenant and ORU is extraordinary, from compulsory chapel attendance to corporate dressing, the entrepreneurial drive of stanford. Till today Covenant doesn't take transfer students - even from the USA and never awards honorary degrees(deliberately cultivating prestige).

He followed Harvard's principle of not venturing into programmes they were not prepared for. Reason, why CU(richest private school) has never never ventured into Law or Medicine. It is not fear but strategy-A strategy that works for Harvard till tomorrow. When he declared Vision 10:2022, i'm sure NUC must have thought Oyedepo has actually gone mad grin No the man went and printed the vision everywhere on campus and kept repeating it to NUC anytime they visited. He led the management team to keep looking at the vision. I felt sorry for him that day he declared the vision. My lecturer was alarmed and felt insulted by the declaration of that vision, but today he is busy jumping telling everyone that CU is doing well. Now i don't feel sorry for him again. I now understand ridiculous ambitions are part of the 'Covenant Spirit'.

Lee kuan yew of Singapore rarely did anything new to advance Singapore. In his words we simply copied other people's template and finetuned it to our own local need. This is the same brain power behind China's rise to prominence, they identify a problem, they study solutions of others and they go after it with everything they have. Case in study: China discovered its universities where lagging behind on all fronts. The country declared the "double first class mandate" which mandated 42 of China's best university to overtake western ones. Today, for the first time Tsinghua university China has surpassed Ntl Uni of Singapore as the best Asian institution and is coming close to Harvard and the likes while surpassing many other ivy leagues.

That JF Kennedy's visionary spirit which says "Russia sent a man to the Space then America must send a man to the Moon" is very absent in Africa's leadership, dying out in Europe and on standstill in USA. And when few people try to stir the waters here in Africa we tell them many reasons why they can never succeed because we are too familiar with serial failures in govt.

Ifelola Olaleye

Do you know that no german university is in top 10 university ranking? Yet American and the rest of the world know that a graduate of german educational system has received quality education.

These rankings are weighted heavily towards research performance, which technically is irrelevant if you are just looking for a quality education as research quality and teaching quality are not the same (if anything there is likely a negative relationship between these.

Even if comparing research base on institution, heavens knows harvard university cannot beat max plank society of Germany

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by CoTenant: 9:36pm On Nov 05, 2018
HigherEd:

Ifelola Olaleye

please give me ur whatsapp line, I admire you a lot
am a follower of bishop David oyedepo
Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by AngelicBeing: 9:38pm On Nov 05, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Insha Allah they will.
Covenant University should just introduce mixed-dormitories.
That's the only way a future Nobel-Laureate can be birthed from the school.

tongue

Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by darkelf: 9:44pm On Nov 05, 2018
12inches1:

It's funny really. I'm a Unilag product (college of medicine) to be precise. But you know why these old federal Unis are lagging behind? Because their VCs and Leaders are outdated in their thinking.

They are like dictators with no regard for wise advice. They cannot be questioned neither can they be taught. Their positions (VCs, DVCs) are highly politicized and most of them are conferred with such honors because of God-fatherism and/or seniority and not because they have novel ideas that can put such UNIs on the world map.

I have always being a proponent of debates and I say all intending Academic HODs, VCs should slug it out in debates where they are challenged with questions to test their out-of-the-box thinking. I can bet you that we'll be disappointed. Politics has permeated the marrow of all public schools in Nigeria that there are hardly lecturers that stand out.

Funding is also key. Our public UNIs cannot continue to rely on govt and we need the support of industry. Most novel tech by American UNIs are discovered by the patnership between gown and industry. We need to incorporate this as well

3 Likes

Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by darkelf: 9:47pm On Nov 05, 2018
Gerrard59:

Not totally true. Most top schools in Asia don't have a Nobel laureate either as a homegrown staff or even a poached one. NUS, KAIST, NTU, Seoul University etc. While I laud his ambitions and strides over the years, winning the Nobel prize especially in the science category would take years to fruition. Rather than target the Nobel Prize, he should look at the Abel's Prize, Fields' medal, Wolf's Prize, Albert Lasker medical prize, Japan's prize, Kyoto prize etc.

Nevertheless, it would be fantastic for a black individual to win a Nobel prize in the science category.

I agree with you. There are other prestigious awards apart from the Nobel prize. Also, poaching Nobel Laureates is an expensive venture. What will be more rewarding is investing resources into grooming the future Nobel laureates
Re: Covenant University Would Produce A Nobel Laureate Before 2022 - Oyedepo by Johnboom: 10:03pm On Nov 05, 2018
Gerrard59:

No be so dem take win Nobel prizes oh. These things take ages because while you're doing it in Ota, someone somewhere else has done same at a more advanced level. IMO, the best category to win a Nobel is in the chemistry or medicine/physiology category; by discovering a cure, say for Alzheimer's, a Nobel is sure.

Even the discoverers of CRISPER have not won a significant prize yet. Ah!
pls chat me up. I like your analysis .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Osun State University (UNIOSUN ) 2018/2019 Post UTME /admission / Federal Polytechnic Bida 2011/2012 Admission Is Open / Nairaland Interschool Debate (entry Level)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.